Home

Quit Helping The Pirates!!

moby323

"How do I run along the wall?"

"How do I change my saber stance?"

"How do I choose my force powers?'

HELLO! These people obviously havn't read the manual because you DON'T GET THE MANUAL with a pirated version of the game!

Why do you people keep helping out these guys who have stolen from the people who made this awesome game?

When they post this stuff, just say "Page 22 of the manual" or whatever. If they have the manual, it takes them 5 secs to look it up. If they are lousy pirating scum, then TOO BAD!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, I dont think they deserve help.

They are obviously only 1 of 2 things:

A) Lousy pirating scum who don't even buy a game as good as this, which is worth every peny. These people should tied to a stake near a fire ant hill and smothered with honey.

B) Incredibly lazy people who havn't taken 10 minutes to learn all the basics of the game in the manual. These people are obviously not too bright either, because in the time it took them to log on, and post in this forum, they could have found the answer themseves.

Either way, they don't deserve to be helped, so you're right, the word for today is RTFM!

More than likely they're either just clueless or brand new to gaming. All you need to do in pretty much any FPS is look at the key bindings in options to see how to do things like use force powers. As for wall running, I never saw that in the manual so lighten up just a tad.

it's not in the manual itself, but in the readme file that comes with the game (can be found in the install folder):

Command: Strafe-Left/Right + Forward + Jump

Conditions: Running with a wall to your left, must have at

least Force Jump level 2

Move Type: Wall-run on a wall.

Description: You will rise up off the ground and run along the wall for a short time. If you hit the jump button again in the middle of this move, you will flip off the wall.

the purple one

yeah teh manual is ON the cd, so unless they selected the files they wanted to copy, i dont konw why htey wouldnt just read the manual on the cd

in this case, i am quite sure that it is because people are lazy

and in the printed manual, the wall walk is NOT in there...

so go fuc|< yourself and lay off of people just because htey dont hold up to your standards of knowledge of a game that has been out less than a month...

and if you are going to accuse someone of piracy, have some evidence PLEASE

RTFMRTFMRTFMRTFMRTFM

Honestly, someone asked me how to change their name today. Ingame. I told him he had to pay me 10 quid and I would call him assmuncher effectively changing his name. Honestly, some people can't even figure this out and that is truly sad. You must only have a quarter of a brain to ask these things. I figured out every move by my self with help from the ****ING MANUAL.

Originally posted by Pol Favre

i never read manuals, usually because they don't HELP. they just tell the obvious. but if i do want help i'll ask someone in-game before i'll read the manual.

THis is exactly the type of lazy bastard I'm talking about. We, who took the time to read the manual, should help your lazy ass out? I DON'T THINK SO!

Well I saw that someone was gracious enough to make a PDF version of the Manual on Kazaa.

Personally I was ticked after pre-odering it and someone was playing it a week before I could... so I downloaded it too. Then it came it... just threw the box in the closet.

I can see where developers would be mad if people were pirating software, but it is their own fault for not using a cd key. It isn't like they don't have the money to invest... I am sure in terms of cash flow, lucas art is strong with the force.

...and last, I doubt many of you could honestly say that you have previouslly purchased the songs/albums to every mp3 on your computer.

Though it's not the nicest way of expressing it in the world, I tend to agree:

They are obviously only 1 of 2 things:

A) Lousy pirating scum who don't even buy a game as good as this, which is worth every peny. These people should tied to a stake near a fire ant hill and smothered with honey.

B) Incredibly lazy people who havn't taken 10 minutes to learn all the basics of the game in the manual. These people are obviously not too bright either, because in the time it took them to log on, and post in this forum, they could have found the answer themseves.

Either way, they don't deserve to be helped, so you're right, the word for today is RTFM!

If people are either too lazy to read the manual/readme or don't have the manual because they pirated the game, they don't deserve our help, do they?

Even in the rare, rare case of somebody who bought the game second hand, without the manual, they could still read the readme file and find the rest themselves in about ten minutes online. Oh well....

I can see where developers would be mad if people were pirating software, but it is their own fault for not using a cd key.

So this is going to turn into another pro/anti piracy debate huh? Well first off, you can't compare mp3 songs to games exactly (even though in terms of copyright, they are both illegal).

You are allowed to have one copy of each piece of software you legally have purchased, for backup purposes, but you are not allowed to distribute that copy to others, and I think essentially you're supposed to make the copy yourself.

So:

You buy JK2. Then you download a copy from some warez site and burn it (ILLEGAL).

You buy JK2. Then you copy the cd on your burner and put it in your desk drawer (LEGAL).

Most people who have copied stuff, even if they own the game, don't care, because they figure they can get away with it.

Copied games, by definition, are illegal if you don't own the game and made the copy yourself. Now MP3 songs on the other hand are another matter. An MP3 is just a file format for a sound file. It doesn't have to be a song ripped from a commercial CD.

You can make MP3's from cd's you own in addition, and in fact many bands have released mp3's that anyone can download for free and they are 100% legal. Also, there are many public domain works that can be freely distributed on mp3. Now that's not to say that every mp3 is legal, clearly many are not. But using the barb "everyone pirates mp3's, so it's okay for me to pirate games" is illogical.

If everyone else breaks some law, does that make it okay for you to break the law as well? Also, one could argue that "stealing" from music companies by pirating MP3's is far less bad than stealing Pc games from Pc game companies, since at least according to people like Courtney Love (from the band Hole) the music artists who actually make the music, 9 times out of 10 don't get much for their work. CD sales line the pockets of the music studio execs and other suit types who never touch an instrument or sing a note, while the hard working musicians make their money from touring. Many smaller bands support MP3 because it gets the word out about their music (how different is it from recording stuff off the radio for your own use? another source of mp3's btw).

On the other and most game companies don't have that kind of money like the music studios do, they live or die by each successful title. Writing a song is far cheaper than making a game, which takes years and teams of people, on expensive equipment (true, music equipment can be expensive, but again, it's far more for the game company, arguably). Regular Music CD's don't cost $50-60, but games do. There's a reason for that!

Sure LucasArts has big money, by being connected with Papa George's elite companies, but Raven does not. They're just a regular Joe game company, that could go bankrupt if they didn't make enough money from their game sales.

So if you want to ask me which is more unethical.... downloading a bunch of Britney Spears MP3's or downloading Jedi Outcast, I'd say downloading Jedi Outcast is more unethical.

But as to which is illegal, well, they both are. End of story...

About the CD-Key, yeah it would have been great if JK2 had had a Q3 style keyserver. It wouldn't have stopped piracy, but at least it would have prevented the game servers from being packed with people who stole the game, next to the legit players who paid for it. But again, you can't say that not having the keyserver FORCED anyone to pirate the game. People pirate games because they can. A keyserver would just mean they'd get bored quicker, if they had limited MP abilities with the game.

everyone must start somewhere,

im glad to hear that you knew every detail about everything

5 days before the game came out,

but,

there will always be someone in the game that,

A. never played any form of star war game.

B. have played but they suck.

C. dont even own a computer

i never played any other SW games before outcast.

this is the first one that interested me.

MP gameplay is exellent.

its sad that a few of you are so involved

that you cant just enjoy a game. ..

:jawa

Who gives a **** about what is legal or not.

The government knowingly lets people die, dumps toxic waste, increases factory output despite enviromental warnings.

They teach soldiers to drop napalm and bombs on people but say writing the word f*ck on their plane is obscene.

They let murderers lose from jail and fry the wrong people often.

They screw you for your money so they can spend it on defence.

If you trust your government you are not just naive but also very stupid.

Point being: who gives a damn about stealing internet data... if the government can act with total disregard to anything then I can bloody get me some warez.

Not that I have more than two copied CD's myself. I prefer the shiny original game box to some empty nameless CD case.

If anyone else needs to know more about my poilitical views, read up at

http://www.copvcia.com

I ahve nothing more to say on this topic.

you guys should blame raven for not putting a cd key system

and its annoying that people are actually hurting the company by doing this, there is no solution to piracy but a cd key system would have reduced all mp capabilities on the net

i jsut heard sumthing funny

very funny

made me laugh

i was having a duel

this is how it went:

pire: how do u jump, im a newbie

[KoS] D'akt: well i guess u start by reading the manual

pire: i gots it burned

[KoS] D'akt: well then i guess u lose out on the wonderful magic of jumping

then i jyump around alot

pire:sTFU, JUST COS I OWNED URE ASS!!!11

he then left, he had only gotten one kill on me, guess i got owned seeing as though i killed him about 7 times :(

You know, when Tribes 2 came out it had a key that was tied to an individual. In some ways it was similar to the concept of the CD Key from Q3.

The issues with these forms of protection are this, (and I am paraphrasing things said by the Devs in the first few days of release when this topic first came up):

If a person has registered their copy and sells it it screws the next person because it is either tied to an IP address, an individual user account, or some other form of authentication security.

LucasArts made the decision to NOT use a cdkey because they didn't want to deal with the secondary/resold market problems.

Was it a good thing? I don't know. Personally I have a feeling that Raven is going to include a file checker in the patch process sthat will not only determine the executable size, (to go after those using cracked or hacked executables) but might also look for an additional file that would be changed upon copying. If it was told to look for a simple 2k file on the cd that is changed to a 3k file when it is copied,( even on a bit for bit copy, don't know if it's possible but it would be nice.) then it would not patch the program and those people would be forced to play only against unpatched individuals, leaving the rest of us who DID pay for the game to play minus the warezers.

just my opinion.

Originally posted by D'akt Sangwar

i jsut heard sumthing funny

very funny

made me laugh

i was having a duel

this is how it went:

pire: how do u jump, im a newbie

[KoS] D'akt: well i guess u start by reading the manual

pire: i gots it burned

[KoS] D'akt: well then i guess u lose out on the wonderful magic of jumping

then i jyump around alot

pire:sTFU, JUST COS I OWNED URE ASS!!!11

he then left, he had only gotten one kill on me, guess i got owned seeing as though i killed him about 7 times :(

hahaha nice reply to him!

Originally posted by kold

you guys should blame raven for not putting a cd key system

and its annoying that people are actually hurting the company by doing this, there is no solution to piracy but a cd key system would have reduced all mp capabilities on the net

nah.. sure, i would have kept some dudes from warezing, but that still doesnt make it legal.. i dont think that raven is to blame here.. it's not their fault (or any other game developer for that sake) that ppl warez.. dont get me wrong, i hate pirates as much as any1:mad:

Archived