Home

JK2 Expansion?

ArmageddonX

If there might be an expantion out it would have to be after sof 2 comes out, the team that worked on jedi knight is now working on the begging of Quake 4 and some are working or Sof2 so when sof2 comes out they may start an expantion pack( i will ask eric beissman when i am at raven in the next week to confirm or deny).

Keep in mind that MotS, the JK expansion, was started about the time that JK was finishing up, and was released four months later.

JK2 has been out less than three weeks.

If it is going to be announced soon, I would think they would do it at E3.

An expansion doesn't have to follow on from that one character. It could be from another characters view point or something entirely different.

You could have a dark side expansion pack where you played as tavion (that was the birds name weren't it? I'm rubbish with names...) for instance. She ran off and you didn't see her again. She could have an internal battle and turn to the light side. You never know.

However I would expect an expansion to already be penned as the dev time while not massive is still fairly long considering you need to write the script, cutscenes, CGI movie "bits", packaging, manual, testing etc.

I reckon they'll probably be screenshots at E3. It would be a perfect time to announce it and every single mag and journo in the place would have access to them and have something significant for their mag. Most print magazines also have massive E3 round-ups. In the UK both PC Zone and PC Gamer (especially the latter) devote up to about 50 pages covering the games announced at E3.

And anyway the industry is run by the money men and money men cash in on popular games and JK2 is popular and has sold by the bucket load. An expansion is a dead cert almost. Lets examine the evidence:

1) It's Lucasarts - They'll do anything for a bit of money (Yoda's Desktop Adventures anyone??)

2) It's Raven - They are "expansion happy" They have a long history of releasing expansion packs for their games (however they are generally fairly short. Also consider the amount of other projects they have on the go at the moment)

3) Suits like money. Money makes them feel good. Bigger profits = bigger rewards. Firms will make as much money as possible to use as reserves incase of bad times (having a business qualification is ace :D)

4) The fans want an expansion pack. Raven like to give fans what they want

5) It's Starwars - Has anyone passed up an attempt EVER to make money off star wars? I think not...

Originally posted by AndyB

5) It's Starwars - Has anyone passed up an attempt EVER to make money off star wars? I think not...

I think so: not releasing Obi-Wan for PC's. Not that that's a bad thing though.

Well...Raven has a lot on it's plate, which makes me happy because they're a great design house and ****ing phenomenal when it comes to interacting with gaming communities. My experience with Raven after the launch of Heretic II, and even Activision to be honest, was nothing short of excellent. These guys didn't have to talk to me at all about anything, but they did and they were gracious and very interested in what we had to say as a community about their work. They even had us do beta on SOF multiplayer, which was also tres cool of them.

In any event, for Heretic II they put out an EP, which they did for free. It included a new player model and a new "weapon" as well as tweaks and patches and a bunch of new DM maps. They also did this knowing that the game, amazing as it was, was not going to be setting any sales records. They did it for the community.

Based on past history I'd expect that they will release an EP but I wouldn't expect them to even think about it until they're either finished or very close to being finished with their 2 big projects. That may not end up being the case, depending on what the EP includes, but for any sort of real SP add-on I'd expect them to hold off. Models, and especially maps, may not be such a hard thing for them to pull off more quickly.

My hope is that they do produce an EP which includes the bulk of the popular character models from the movies and some new maps. If neccesary, charging for it wouldn't bother me at all so long as that means that it gets done well.

Raven kicks ass and I can't say that anyone (with the exception of Dave Halsted at Human Head) I've dealt with has been more real as people and not just some company that's working to get your money.

Raven is excellent, I do hope they release a expansion pack. I don't care if it has SP content really, I want MP content more stuff really for MP like official models and maps, possibly new moves or whatever. If they don't release an EP I will cry but still be playing jK2

Didn't Jerec kinda, well... die... at the end of Jedi Knight? Death is usually fatal (yeah) and fatal is a major impediment for a character coming back (especially a Dark Side character).

I think the Tavion idea is cool, and it'd fit with what they did in MotS (I need that game). You know, they took Kyle mostly out of the action and had a female character (Mara Jade) take over. And I think Tavion's an awesome character; I'm gonna try to write a fan fic about her.

I'd like to see a Jedi Knight where all you have is a Lightsaber and the Force. Guns are cheap.

Wow... come back from work and 25 posts later WALA! lol

Anyway, I want them to focus on Sabre Dueling and player modification. I want the twin sabres, double sabre, and the regualr sabre. I want strong, medium, and light stances for them all. I want mod customizable models. I want to be able to choose my build, my head, my costume, and my general look. I want sabre combat maps, and more of them. And finally I want more force and vitality options. I see JK2 sabre dueling as a potential GIANT in the online world if they would do these things. ESPECIALLY with Episode 2 coming so soon, and with anakin using twin sabres in the movie. Plus, they can add force only players. Like Yoda will fight in Ep2. Forget the sabre powers and concentrate on only force powers. Ball of force "power" and stronger melee attacks. A Ninja-Jedi of sorts. Anyway, my thought made into data for you. later guys...

Archived