Home

Why all the fuss?

subedii

OK, my first post on this forum. I have been lurking around here for a while now and have only realised 1 thing about the JKII community. A lot of you guys are OBSESSED with nitpicking.

Oh, he used a weapon to shoot me down when all I had was my lightsaber out,

I WANT ALL WEAPONS REMOVED NOW!!!!111!!!111 PH34R MY L33T Sk1lz and P0W3R5

Oh, the Saber throw can take some of my health before I even get in range.

TH05E B**** N00BS, W3 H8 TH4T, IT SUXX0R5S @$$ REMOVE IT

Oh, the Dark side has drain, It replenishes their health whilst draining my force

WHAT F****** 1D10T TH08 TH4T W4S A G00d 1DA?????//?? GET RID OF IT

Oh, the light side has Force heal, They can heal at will when they get away from you.

IT5 A F****** J0K5, S000000 ST00000P1D, I H8 IT!!1 IT MUST DIE!!!!1111!!!!

And so on. I will freely admit that most of you don't act as childish as that (most), and a lot of you try to avoid the baseless flame wars that these threads almost always degenerate into, but I think it's beginning to get a little rediculous (not to mention surreal).

I also freely admit that debating the pros and cons of the moves and force powers is part of all the fun of playing the game, but when it just devolves into THIS SUX or THATS UNF4IR then what is the point? I've played quite a bit online and offline now (admittedly more offline as I have a 56K connection), and from what I've found the game is actually incredibly well balanced. Yes, balanced.

Now to some of you this just means I'm an idiot who doesn't know what they are talking (well, typing) about (maybe I am). However, I'm sure that a lot of you will agree. Yes there may be some balance issues with the forces, weapons, and stances, but from my experiences they are very small. Yes, I also admit that I could be wrong, but heres something you need to ask yourself. Is going on this board and shouting at the authors and players that the game is unbalanced, getting into a stupid flame war, and basically annoying a lot of people because you didn't even really back up your argument

a) going to get things changed

and

b) increase your enjoyment of the game

Instead of continually complaining about the force powers and the stances and the weapons, try counteracting them. From what I've seen all of them have some weakness that can be exploited for your benefit (and a resulting higher place on the scoreboard). I've seen loads of good suggestions on this board. All you need to do is come on the board and ask "hey, how do I counteract Saber throwers?" and you will probably get enough advice to let you dice through 100 of them. If you feel there is a genuine balance issue, then say so, but do it in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner, and back up your arguments. This (believe it or not) will probably get you further along the road to solving the problem than just shouting at everyone that disagrees with you.

Above all remember that this is a game. Lets try to have fun with it.

I've said my piece (apologies and congratulations if you've read the whole thing). Now, let the flaming commence... (please, you wouldn't grill an Ewok would you?:ewok: )

^^^^

Now that is just silly. Thats like: You started it, no you started it, no you started it, etc... The first post in this thread is brutal truth and anyone who dissagrees hasn't had enough practice yet and anyone who doesn't believe that should see a shrink about their WHOPPING EGO.

I think the main reason that so many people are complaining that stuff be removed or changed in the game is because (drumroll),

there are a lot of sore losers out there.

Nobody likes to lose, and when they get schooled by the same weapon/power more than once, they whine and complain.

Many folks (if you go by their postings on these forums) are in it for the "role playing" aspect and not to try to win the game, so they get mad when people interfere with their role playing. I think it's unrealistic for them to try to force the rest of the community (who may play competatively for enjoyment) to conform to their ideals of what the gameplay should be (and of course what Raven made the game to be in the first place).

I'm all for options, lots of options, and I urge these people to make mods that support their ideas, but whining to Raven to change the whole game just so they don't ever lose, is silly. Those folks will never be satisfied...

Hopefully the role players will migrate to games like Star Wars Galaxies (when it is released) or learn to accept that their way is not the way everyone else wants to play.

Originally posted by Nill the Mean

Now that is just silly. Thats like: You started it, no you started it, no you started it, etc... The first post in this thread is brutal truth and anyone who dissagrees hasn't had enough practice yet and anyone who doesn't believe that should see a shrink about their WHOPPING EGO.

I am not sure if that was meant for me... I never said anything about not disaggreeing with the "first post". I was only impling that he/she was nitpicking as well. Just like people who nitpick at the game and post of how they don't like it. He/she that made the first post, nitpicked other people and posted what he/she didn't like.

I totally agree. Learn to play the game, don't whine about what you don't like or want removed (translation, I'm a weeny who loses all the time...).

And for the whiners, don't do it in a game, because I'm just gone Force grip you (or whatever you complain about) and toss you over a ledge more than I normally would just because you're b*tching about it!

i agree..

the game is great.

its so good, that you can only find a few problems

(or personal dislikes)..such as saber control. fuss fuss.

im actually enjoying the saber control.

even i can see what i would want to make the saber do but cant.

but thats life , deal with it or fold...

I just don't get how people say the saber control feels 'random'. You walk to the left, you slash to the left. You walk to the right you slash right. It is just that simple. You slash in the same direction as you are walking. What is random about that? Does that mean some people walk so uncontrollably they can't even figure out what they are doing? If I want to slash at someones guts as he tries an overhead swing, I can do it. Someone tries to jump over me, I slash overhead whilst looking up...

It's so simple, how can it be random?

Sure, so now and then you start to swing in medium when you don't expect it, but that doesn't happen often enough to make it random... just a small mistake on your part for holding attack too long.

I propose a change to the game that will make it 10 times better... screw all those force power equalization and removing of guns crap.

here's the ultimate change... make everything co-op... no PvP playing at all.

but instead of killing stormtroopers or any other playable character model... they just put hundreds of Jar Jar binks models all over the map. They cannot have any A.I. and there will be no score... that would be unfair to all of those new players out there.

there will be no way to communicate to each other, that way there will be no abuse or flaming.

and in addition, this forum will be HEAVILY monitored so that the only topic of conversation will be Teletubbies.

(to avoid confusion, this is what happens when I become sarchastic.)

Good first post subeddi. Welcome to the forums! (I didn't get a welcome :( ) Anyways...you are right alot of people complain but I think that is expected when a game first comes out. Sometimes some good does come of it. I have played many FPS's and when they firstcome out alot of people complain of weapon balance but after a while it calms down and mods come out and counters become common knowledge. I remeber in UT people used to complain of the Flak Cannon all the time, then it was the shock rifle combo, now no one really complains at all and Epic didn't really do anything to those weapons.

The community can be summed up into two types of people /methinks

1. Those who are Star Wars fans first...some of these guys this is there first FPS and it can be very daunting to go up against the second group...

2. Those who are FPS fans first...these guy know their way around a shooter and can be devastating to new players at first

But after a while things will balance out. For now ignore those who may call you names and such. Hope to slice you...errr meet you on a server soon. :)

subedii,

You $#&*$#)(#&$ are 100 % correct!

:)

The flamers, whiners, and complainers will eventually learn to develop some skill or leave and play another game - to complain about that new game they get.

I'm bookmarking this post and going to link it if anyone flames me for supporting Raven and Lucasarts.

And I must say - while ID Software are the 3D Engine gods, Raven are the gameplay gods.

The always make great games. Raven rocks!

Thanks for a great post dude.

Archived