Home

Bowing in duels

PsYk0

wtf? It's gay, annoying and makes the game last longer. I find that the temptation of letting my saber make mad love to the other guys' exposed pasty white neck too hard to resist. Why should I show respect to someone that I don't even know? Christ, the guy could have picked up the game 10 minutes earlier and is playing for the first time. Why the hell should I respect that? Screw them. Go ahead and flame away but remember this the next time you bow to someone you don't know....

Join me....I am your daddy!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you to an extent. I think it is kinda dumb but if that's what everyone is doing on the server, then I will go ahead and bow myself, just because I respect their rules. Otherwise I won't do it. I won't initiate it but I will respect the server's wishes.

argh idiot. we bow to just bow. add some fun to the battle. and already, if u try to slsh at anyone bowing, we can just counter it easily anyways (my little secret). like i bowed to somene, he rolled towards me, when he finished rolling last thing he saw was my uppercut with the light stance :p works all the time on people who try to attack u while bowing :p

I think it only shows a good sportsmanship to bow before starting a duel. Also, I'm not going to attack, if my opponent hasn't ignited his saber first, because that might mean he still configures his Force powers(if they are enabled of course) or writes something. Just a short preperation time, nothing else.

Originally posted by tam

argh idiot. we bow to just bow. add some fun to the battle. and already, if u try to slsh at anyone bowing, we can just counter it easily anyways (my little secret). like i bowed to somene, he rolled towards me, when he finished rolling last thing he saw was my uppercut with the light stance :p works all the time on people who try to attack u while bowing :p

sigh, that uppercut is pretty useless against someone who is aware of their own sabers' "sweet spot." Theres a counter for pretty much every move and we can sit here and argue that all day but if you don't know the sweet spot then you might as well be a spinner. FAGETABOUTIT!

Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon

I think it only shows a good sportsmanship to bow before starting a duel. Also, I'm not going to attack, if my opponent hasn't ignited his saber first, because that might mean he still configures his Force powers(if they are enabled of course) or writes something. Just a short preperation time, nothing else.

Sportsmanship? Whats wrong with gf or gg after a round or the end of the map? Still the same thing.

Oh, if the guy says to hold up, yeah I'll wait for him but if you're not at that keyboard ready to fight when your round is up, too bad. >:)

I just loooove being on the Dark Side! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

If you dont want to bow, that is your choice. I have said repeatidly that people should play the game the way they want.

BUT you ask some intresting questions

Why should I show respect to someone that I don't even know?

In my own opinion. Strangers start with %100 of my respect until they do something to loose it. Prehaps such an attitude would help foster good sportsmanship.

the guy could have picked up the game 10 minutes earlier and is playing for the first time. Why the hell should I respect that?

The larger a game's userbase, The longer it lasts, the healthier it is. Look at Half-Life and look at Tribes 2. Half Life is 4 years old and still (in it's many forms) The most played game on the net. There is CONSTANT innovation in HL with new mods STILL being released today. Total Servers online This moment, 20813. THAT is a healthy user base!

Tribes 2 was released only 1 year ago, It's community constantly bickered and was all-out hostile to newbs. (It was also buggy) Today's server count... 577 Remember that Tribes 2 was supposed to be the revolutionary game to re-invent multiplayer.

You WANT more people playing JediKnight MP. You want to be welcoming and encouraging to the players that just opened the game 10 minutes ago. If they feel welcome, they will stay, If they stay, they will get better, if they get better, they will be more challnging, more challenging players means MORE FUN.... And THAT is what we all want.

Originally posted by D66

Tribes 2 was released only 1 year ago, It's community constantly bickered and was all-out hostile to newbs. (It was also buggy) Today's server count... 577 Remember that Tribes 2 was supposed to be the revolutionary game to re-invent multiplayer.

You're forgetting the part about Sierra forcing Dynamix to release Tribes 2 before it was ready, then firing everybody at Dynamix because nobody wanted to buy a buggy game. Tribes 2's failure did not happen because it was a bad game, it happened because nobody gave it a chance.

I miss Dynamix. *sniff*

As for bowing in duels, I don't do it. I also don't rush towards the other guy and try to strike him down while he is bowing. I just pull out my saber and calmly wait for him to come to me.

I normally wouldnt post a response to something this arrogant and narrow minded, but what the hell?

I'll keep this short....

Just because someone doesn't play the game and act the way you do, it does not make thier actions "gay".

You are bashing someone for showing respect to you? How backwards is that?

I appreciate your love for the darkside, being malicious can be fun.

But, your lack of respect and backwards logic is a bit disturbing, if not humorous.

Usurper

if they bow, I'll bow.

If I bow quicker than them, sometimes I'll do the DFA (purposely short range it) and spin so they can't get hurt to see how alert they are.

Nothing wrong with an intentional whiff to put them on their toes right? :)

Course, usually they have all the time they need to bow, as I like to react to what they do more than go out and attack myself.

Just because you don't like to do something, or someone, doesn't make it "gay".

God forbid what would happen if a girl/guy you liked didn't want to go out with you, does that automatically make her/him gay?

Yeesh....

:rolleyes:

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Who are we to say what anyone does in a game is right or wrong?

Also, I have seen players bow in FFA, nutso imho but hey, if they are having fun, then more power to them.

*shrugs* I really dont think that bowing can be considered a good or bad thing. It only takes 1-3 seconds to do, so whats the big deal?

In some FFA servers, pairs will challenge eachother to a duel by walking up to other players & taunting/bowing. This is a pretty good use of bowing, IMO, and is definately a good thing. However, when I'm not on saber only (mostly duel) FFA servers, I dont go out of my way to bown before hacking away at someone with my saber.... :)

Honestly I try to play along the lines of what the server is doing thus far. If no honor is being shown, I show none, if honor is being shown I show it as well.

The best example of this?

Last night I played duel for the first time, hoestly I have only been playing this game for under a week. and bragging asside, I am really not bad at it, I was first to reach the kill limit on this duel server most of the time. I went with about a 4-1 ratio.

Anyway I was really getting into the honor thing, and good temperment by everyone playing. Nobody was having ego trips, and it was just good clean fun... with light sabers no less. no hard feelings, regardless of who won. Don't get me wrong we had our rivalries, but it was good natured.

then some new guy comes in. I don't know if he was a newbie, or just new to dueling on this server or what. He watched through till it was his turn. I was up still...

I come down the steps in the carbonite chamber, and try to assume a good spot to bow ETC.

But before I do that here comes new guy rolling in saber drawn going for an insta kill DFA.

I quickly roll out of the way, and make a second attempt figuring he will figure it out. Nope.

He charges in spinning like a damn fool. It was over in less than 5 seconds once I drew my saber. I was actually pissed at that point, and shot a few insults at him... as I chopped at his corpse.

The point is, I didn't mind that he wanted to fight right away, thats fine, I can switch gears fast enough, but it isn't pleasant or nice to do to someone.

It takes only a second, and if you don't feel like honoring the poor slob you are about to battle to the death, then simply taunt him, honestly that can be just as cool.

The whole point of bowing, ect is to make sure everyone is ready, who knows what they are doing they might need to configure something.

to me the rule of thumb is:

Is the saber out?

Did he bow yet?

Is he moving? (Ie walking in some way or turning to face me?) If he is standing still I usualy show curtesy and make sure he isn't typing somehting to me.

If I can answer yes to two or more of these logical questions then the answer is, he must be fair game.

Other curtesies also exist, some are kind of expected, some arn't.

In the duel if someone has thier saber sheathed, and are say stuck in a pit on a server that limits the force powers, let them get thier force power back enough to be able to jump again.

If someone strong style DFA you, and kills you while you are bowing, don't feel like you really lost the match, The amount of skill required to pull that kind of move off is newbieish at best. Anyone can pull off a strong style DFA hack on an unmoving off guard foe.

If you use it when they are on guard and moving you will at the very least have beaten him when he is trying.

Thats all I got to say.... Let the flames begin.

Originally posted by D66

The larger a game's userbase, The longer it lasts, the healthier it is. Look at Half-Life and look at Tribes 2. Half Life is 4 years old and still (in it's many forms) The most played game on the net. There is CONSTANT innovation in HL with new mods STILL being released today. Total Servers online This moment, 20813. THAT is a healthy user base!

You WANT more people playing JediKnight MP. You want to be welcoming and encouraging to the players that just opened the game 10 minutes ago. If they feel welcome, they will stay, If they stay, they will get better, if they get better, they will be more challnging, more challenging players means MORE FUN.... And THAT is what we all want.

Good post D66.

I'll keep that in mind but I think temptation may be too great. I do show respect to other players and friends in the form of running out and nodding (quite a few peeps do it that way on my regular duel servers) and saying GF, GG, etc., but if they start by walking casually to the center and doing some big dramatic taunt and wasting time, then I won't waste any time and startup the beheading party. I dig it!

It's good to be bad.

I always bow to my opponent,partly out of respect but mainly because it enhances my enjoyment of the game.Lets face it,we play these games to escape the hassles of real life for a short period and what better way than to get into the role of the character your playing.

I've noticed many peeps doing the same and not just on duel servers either,i quite like it(7-3 infavour of bowing).But on occasion my foe shows me contempt(or knows no better)and tries to attack me while i bow,i don't mind...im aware this may be the case and am always ready to evade their endeavors.Plus it only makes me fight that punk with all the more zest.

In summery...i think bowing is cool and shall continue to show respect to my enemy's.(weather they show it to me or not)

If you go about declaring that people are gay in the real world,just cos you don't agree with what they do(unless of coarse they are actually gay and happen to be doing something of harm to you)...expect to receive a few smacks in the gob for your trouble.

bowing is nerdy. If someone did it to me I'd go slice em as they're bowing.. too nerdy for my likes.

But turning the saber off, taunting, and then walking towards the person is great fun - it's like an extended taunt.

But bowing? pffft. Nerdism.

"honor" and "showing respect"... You guys must be out of your rocker... I don't remember Darth Vader bowing to luke.. it is a fight to the death.. just fight.. because 1 idiot thinks they are cool by bowing, all the fruitcakes come out with their "I am showing honor!" bs... When I am on a duel server, nothing frustrates me more than people delaying the battle by moving their mouse up and down thinking this is the cool and honorable thing to do.. get a life people... other people are waiting for you to finish.. if you want to do this in a ffa duel, go ahead, I won't be in it with you so I couldn't give a crud... You people are sheep... Tell your girlfriends that you are bowing in a videogame to show honor... then realize why you don't HAVE girlfriends...

Archived