Home

Star Wars Versus Star Trek

Assault3000

Star Wars versus Star Trek  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars versus Star Trek

• Star Wars and Jedi Knight II / Academy
    • Star Trek and Elite Force / 2
    • What is Star Wars and what is Star Trek?

Originally posted by Assault3000

Just to add a bit. I have seen the borg in action and honestly, I seriously doubt they could defeat Jedi. As for Q, he's just there.

Could you elaborate a little more than just 'he's just there'. Yeah we know he is there, as well as we know that can defeat everything in the Star Wars universe.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just recognize that Q can defeat the Force if he wanted to.

I mean really how does ANYTHING stand up to a being so powerful that it IS the universe in every sense possible.

I will not recognize it because of two aspects:

a) Q isn't a god; he's a 4th dimensional being who seems like a god from a 3 dimensional perspective. The Force, on the other hand, is the god aspect of Star Wars.

b) We've only seen the Force on a 3rd dimensional level, but that doesn't mean it doesn't circumvent all dimensions, including the 4th or whatever one Q exists in.

c) Maybe a Jedi couldn't overcome Q, but Jedi aren't the extent of the Force, only its conduit. If the Force didn't want Q screwing with the universe, he wouldn't, end of story.

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

I will not recognize it because of two aspects:

a) Q isn't a god; he's a 4th dimensional being who seems like a god from a 3 dimensional perspective. The Force, on the other hand, is the god aspect of Star Wars.

b) We've only seen the Force on a 3rd dimensional level, but that doesn't mean it doesn't circumvent all dimensions, including the 4th or whatever one Q exists in.

c) Maybe a Jedi couldn't overcome Q, but Jedi aren't the extent of the Force, only its conduit. If the Force didn't want Q screwing with the universe, he wouldn't, end of story.

Give it up with this 4th dimension stuff. He is on every dimension including the ones that you can't even comprehend. What has made you decide to limit him to the 4th dimension when he is a 3rd dimensional regular.

What characteristic doesn't make him a god and what makes the force a god more so than him?

He can do anything he want, and that includes create and uncreate anything and everything. He can control destiny and fate and do anything in whatever dimension he pleases. Dont limit him just to the 4th dimension when he obvious exsists everywhere. The force can't even eliminate the darkness within itself. Screw balance, Q is perfection.

ORIGINAL POST: (FORGET BY WHOM)

I only have to mention one ship really, that I personaly think would wipe out over half of the SW ships in a real(if you want to think it in fantasy terms) battle.

The Defiance.

If you dont watch Star Trek then you wouldnt know what I am talking about, if you have seen the Defiance in action then you know what I mean. If you still dont believe me after you have seen the Defiance in action then you are just biased to SW, but this is just an opinion.

In terms of fantasy movie/sci fi, technicaly speaking the Defiance is probably one of the badest(bad word I know) ship to fly the spacial expanse that I have seen in a sci fi setting, except for the Andromeda, but I wont go into that here in a SW/ST discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, come on. Give me a Death Star anyday. The Defiance wouldn't stand a chance agains the Death Star.

Evil Cat, unless I'm mistaken, does time dilation itself not imply "time travel"? Of course, its all relative. So say, if a guy is on a ship going almost the speed of light for a long time, he actually ages slower than someone on say, Earth. Isn't that guy traveling into the future, relative to the guy on Earth? Also, wouldn't the guy on earth be traveling into the past relative to the guy on the ship?

It seems to me the phrase "time travel" is quite vague...

On another note, using Special Relativity, if something is going faster than the speed of light, then gamma will come out to be an imaginary number. This seems to scream to me that it really isn't possible to go faster than the speed of light.

So please, clarify this further for me, as my physics might not be at the right level to argue with you, and I find all this interesting.

edit: Star Wars is cool. Very Entertaining, but it takes a couple years to see a new movie. Star Trek is cool. Had many movies, some of them flops, but the ones that are good are really good. ST has series that I like to watch when I get the chance. Both are equal in my mind.

However, I think Q would own Jedi. Jedi would own Borg. Vader would own Picard. Federation would own Empire. No particular reasons why. Just thats the way it would work, becuase I said so.

Originally posted by Rupeshvaswani

ORIGINAL POST: (FORGET BY WHOM)

I only have to mention one ship really, that I personaly think would wipe out over half of the SW ships in a real(if you want to think it in fantasy terms) battle.

The Defiance.

If you dont watch Star Trek then you wouldnt know what I am talking about, if you have seen the Defiance in action then you know what I mean. If you still dont believe me after you have seen the Defiance in action then you are just biased to SW, but this is just an opinion.

In terms of fantasy movie/sci fi, technicaly speaking the Defiance is probably one of the badest(bad word I know) ship to fly the spacial expanse that I have seen in a sci fi setting, except for the Andromeda, but I wont go into that here in a SW/ST discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, come on. Give me a Death Star anyday. The Defiance wouldn't stand a chance agains the Death Star.

Not to be mean, but you could at least get the name of the ship right.....

Defiant, not defiance.

Q isn't a god; it just wasn't Roddenberry's style. Much more likely that he is just an alien that lives in a dimension over our own and seems that way to the people they interract with. That's all there is to it. Roddenburry wanted to explore the relationship between two species on different universal levels, much like interraction between the two-dimensional and three-dimensional beings in Flatland. Never seen anything that indicates otherwise.

Lucas has said that the Force is religion distilled, having characteristics of all yet not isolated to one. One characteristic of all religions that believe in God is that He is omnipotent. Therefore, the Force is omnipotent.

The Defiance.

There.

Sorry Dude.

Anyhow, I really did enjoy Star Trek TNG. Voyager sucked really bad. Enterprise is actually nice. It's developing pretty well. Star Trek is not really a bad series at all. It's very decent, has had it's fair share of movies, and fair share of books and graphic novels published.

Star Wars is a prefrence I seem to take though. I prefer the "Good Vs. Evil" type of ploy it gives us. I don't really see that all too much in Star Trek except with the Borg. Although, there is a little, I guess, between the Romulans and the Klingons. Yet, it seems to be much more prominent in the Star Wars universe.

The Star Trek universe doesn't really offer us any mystical power, exempt Q. However, Star Wars offers us the Force and a myriad of other things. It seems that mostly, as stated before, that in Star Trek there is more negotiation, and in Star Wars it is "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later."

It's kind of funny though. Think about it. In Star Trek, even if they just killed your best friend, your girlfriend and your family, you would still allow them the chance of negotiation. I can just see it now:

Picard: No ! MOTHER ! NO ! DAD !

Offender: HAHAH ! I have just killed your mother and father.

Come take your revenge !

Picard: Look, maybe we can have some type of negotiation. We

can work this out. It seems you need to see Dr. Troy, and

go through some psychological tests. Did you suffer any

trauma when you were a child ?

In Star Wars it would be like this:

Obi-Wan: NOOOOOOOOOO !!!! *At Qui-Gonn's death by Maul*

Maul: .....................

*Fighting ensues*

*Maul gets sliced in half due to his killing of Qui-Gonn*

It seems that the Star Wars universe doesn't like to take any crap from anybody. *HEHEHE*

I believe if you were to ask a majority vote, which was not just conducted in the forums, you would probably find more people who knew about Star Wars than Star Trek. Although, there are those people who don't know the difference (which really ticks me off). You will find a lot of those people exist.

Star Wars seems to be a much bigger phenomenom than Star Trek. There were much more things that were released with the Star Wars logo and/or brand name, than anything Star Trek. Besides, I can't go to the store and pick up a Phaser toy, but I can go to the store and pick up a lightsaber. There are a myriad of Star Wars toys available; with Star Trek, there are not.

It just goes to show you what marketing can do for you. Come on, go ask a kid on the street about Star Trek. Do you think he'll know what it is ? I don't think so. Now, if you ask about Star Wars, he will. He'll immediately talk about his favorite character(Trust me, I did a survey on this).

A thing that Star Wars has, that I think tops Star Trek, is Jedi. In a day of blasters and all technological types of crazy weaponry in the armies of the world's disposal, they choose a sword as their defense. I'd like to say, I bet they're pretty damn good with them too. You have to admire them.

Star Wars is just the bigger name. More people know about it, more people like it. It has more of a fun quotient involved, along with all the mystical properties we all grew up to like.

Star Trek is good, don't get me wrong. It just seems it has outdone itself in the past decade. There are no current movies in the works, nor have I seen any new Star Trek books at the Borders near my house. It just seems that its time is up.

Star Wars is forever expanding. With the resurgence of fan base, due to the new movie releases, it has become ever increasingly popular. It just seems to plain, beat out Star Trek.

The Force is my ally, and a powerful one it is.

My vote is for STAR WARS.

im about to nip out so i dont have time to write a lenghty post but ill awnser the time dilation one at the moment. Yes relative time dialation is a way of "time travel", if u sit on near the event horrizon of a black hole or create some aritifical gravity well and put youself close 2 it, time for you is traveling much faster relative 2 your low gravity earth or space buddies, spending 20 mins near the gravity well could effectivly pass 1000 years for everyone else, you would immerge into the future effectivly.

Your example of the person traveling at the speed of light is another example. Someone going to andromeda which is 2.2Million light years or so away i think. If they accelerated for about a year they could reach the speed of light without splatting themselfs into the back of there ship, once at teh speed of light they would reach there destination instantly (to the space mans point of view), so u could cut it short and spend a year decelerating at a steady, safe rate. Now to that man the trip to andromeda has only taken 2 years, BUT to an observer on earth the trip has taken 2.2 million years + the accelerating time (well in actual its not the accelerating time exactly due to the formentined lorentz transform invariant which means its an intigral of acceleration but for all good purposes just use the acceleration normaly).

Gotta run now but ill be back to awnser that other question

oh dear,

to those who say Q could snap his fingers and eliminate the SW universe, course he could but he wouldn't. (The Q have rules as well).

There's no point in comparing technologies (Star Wars runs on magic, Trek on treknobabble)

Jedi couldn't be assimilated, they'd just expel the nano-probes from the injection before they take effect, or absorb themselves into the force. Grip can be used to rip out/crush someones heart/brain. That stops borg. The eclipse could take on a fleet of cubes comfortably and whose to say that Star Wars shields don't stop borg transporters? Yes Borg would mulch pretty much anyone else in the SW universe though.

Back to comparing them in the only way that matters...

Trek...

TOS was a rather dull affair based around Kirk getting some every episode. Klingon centered episodes were enjoyable, so where some of the Romulan ones. Lack of a driving plot kind of crippled the series.

TNG when they weren't spouting moral platitudes (I shudder every time when I think of the 'drugs are bad episode' from season 1) and actually gave Worf something to do, killed Tasha and gave Riker a beard they were very entertaining. Introducing the borg improved the series greatly, The romulan episodes, especially Pegasus (later) were all fantastic. Let down by not having an episode devoted to Wesley's torture and eventual painful death. The episode where Picard is captured by Cardies was probably my favourite, along with Best of Both worlds.

DS9 - Series 1 and 2 were terrible, with the exception of the Alphasia Device, which had fine comedy moments. After the defiant arrived things started looking up, series 5 and 6 rocked like Bab 5 at its best but 7 was an anti-climax (I still can't forgive them for the season finale). Constant plot holding a series together made it a step forwards for trek.

Voyager - oh dear oh dear oh dear. 2nd and third seasons adequate, before and after that almost unwatchable. Only borg and 8472 episodes remotely enjoyable. Definitely hampered by a lack of character development later (Yes I know Paris changed and the Maquis\Fed divide was sealed but in later seasons charcter development wasn't carried over into other episodes, it was like someone hit a big reset button)

Enterprise - what I've seen (EP.s 1-8) looks fantastic, new direction gives the show more atmosphere, there's a constant enemy, character development occurs and the show's writers produce some genuinely funny scripts. Has the best 1st season of all Treks.

The Movies...

Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country (that was 6 wasn't it?) and First Contact were all good films (not great but good). The rest don't deserve a mention. (Insurrection maybe, was funny but I was very disappointed that the Dominion weren't involved or that the status of the Alpha quadrant post-dominion wasn't shown.)

Games:

The only two Star Trek games that I've played and enjoyed have been BOTF, Klingon Academy and Bridge Commander. The rest (Away team, Armada, Elite force the RTS that I can't remember the name of etc.) all were sub-standard examples of their genre that got by on their Trek Status.

Star Wars...

Series: Ewoks and droids, How can these not be regarded as the best kids cartoons ever? (With the possible exception of Transformers). But even so they lose out to Trek by being aimed soley at kids.

Movies:

ANH and ESB are widely accepted by film critics as being amongst the best films of all time (Virgin film guide, Channel 4 film survey, BBC film survey to name a few sources). They contain an epic idealism that makes them watchable time and time again. Here's hoping that EP2 gets back to that and Lucas stops trying to sell toys.

Games:

For Star Wars I've enjoyed, The X-Wing series (4 games, not including add-ons) The Dark Forces series (again 4 if you count MOTS), Episode 1 racer (on dreamcast) Starfighter, Rebel Assaults 1&2, Rogue Squadron (the last two for providing entertaining multiplay blasts). Force Commander gets a mention for trying.

Series, Winner: Trek

Movies, Winner: Star Wars

Games, Winner: Star Wars

2-1

'nuff said?

Left a category out!

Books,

Star Trek - those I've seen have been written by William Shatner. Oh Dear. (I accept that there may be better ones out there, but I haven't seen them).

Star Wars - written by good Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors (Zahn, Stackpole, J. Anderson, Salvatore) and actually contribute something meaningful and enjoyable to the timeline/universe.

that's 3-1 to Star Wars.

There are no current movies in the works, nor have I seen any new Star Trek books at the Borders near my house.

Actually, the fourth TNG based film is going to be released this year (last I checked). Title: Star Trek X: Nemesis.

In regards to Q, what makes you think he would protect the Alpha Quadrant if the Empire invaded? Isn't he just a superman, who does things for his own amusement? He's turned a blind eye to catastrophe before. Besides, if the Empire was no threat to him personally, why would he be concerned?

Okay, we all played at soldiers as kids, right?

You remember that far from just fun shooting at each other, it would often go..

Kid 1: "I shot you, you're dead".

Kid 2: "No, I've got special armour, which deflected the shot, so you're dead"

Kid 1: "Yeah, but I saw it coming back, so I ducked and threw a grenade. You're dead"

Both kids guilty of just wanting to be right. That's most of us here. We will never, ever know who would win.

But I think bringing Q or 'the Force as God' into the argument is a bit like that annoying other type of kid who played:

Kid 3: "Well, I've a got a nuclear missle and I've blown you both up, and I'm indestructible, so there."

This kid was no fun to play with.

So in my opinion, Executer vs. Enterprise or Kirk vs Solo - they're fun arguments, with no real answer.

SW vs. the almighty Q - no fun, leave it. If he's what you all say, then sure, I guess he'd 'win'. There you go, a SW fan has given in to that one. Can we leave it now?

Originally posted by RoyalGuard

1) Jedi couldn't be assimilated, they'd just expel the nano-probes from the injection before they take effect, or absorb themselves into the force.

2) The eclipse could take on a fleet of cubes comfortably and whose to say that Star Wars shields don't stop borg transporters?

3) TOS was a rather dull affair based around Kirk getting some every episode.

4) Voyager - Only borg and 8472 episodes remotely enjoyable.

5) The rest [of the movies] don't deserve a mention.

6) Games: The rest (Away team, Armada, Elite force the RTS that I can't remember the name of etc.) all were sub-standard examples of their genre that got by on their Trek Status.

7) Series, Winner: Trek

Movies, Winner: Star Wars

Games, Winner: Star Wars

Books, Winner: Star Wars

1) Absorb nanoprobes... right. Even if every Jedi could do that, the Borg would come up with something. They don't need air, so they could just let the Jedi suffocate (if they're in their cubes) and assimilate when they're weak enough or nearly dead.

2) That the eclipse (an SSD?) could take on Borg cubes (leave alone a fleet) comfortably is just SW biased speculation, same goes for SW shields stopping them. What if they just warp in, beam an assimilation crew aboard and warp out in the blink of an eye? The imperial crew wouldn't have time to get shields up, maybe not even enough to mobilize the infantry before a big part is assimilated. They'd return after the ship is theirs.

3) Says the SW fan.

4) Says the SW fan.

5) Says the SW fan.

:)

6) Elite Force sub-standard? Same could be said for Jedi Outcast by a Star Trek fan, you know. And neither universe can boast about a high percentage of quality games, anyway.

7) If we only consider the 100% genuine stuff:

Star Wars: 5 movies

Star Trek: 10 movies, 5 series - easily dwarfs Star Wars' playtime. It would be interesting to see how SW would compare if it was "stretched" as much. ;)

The Eclipse is not a mere Super Star Destroyer... it is an ECLIPSE-class Super Star Destroyer; at least twice the size of an SSD at a whopping 17.5km long and has a superlaser (ala the Death Star) in its bow. And SW ships always have their shileds up, so there'd be no warping in, beaming up and warping out. There would be no warping out--tractor beams would lock into it in a second and then comes a quick blast from the superlaser and bye-bye Borg Fleet.

And Jedi can expell nanoprobes. Like I said, they can isolate individual germs and destroy them, a nanoprobe would be no problem, especially if the Jedi just threw back any Borg walking (slowly) toward him.

There'd be no need for a Jedi to board their cube, they would just merge their powers and destroy them, and with no moral qualms.

Leave off the Jedi vs. Borg. There's absolutely no contest. If the regular humans on the Enterprise can beat them, a Jedi would decimate them.

Star Wars: 5 movies

Star Trek: 10 movies, 5 series - easily dwarfs Star Wars' playtime. It would be interesting to see how SW would compare if it was "stretched" as much.

Size matters not :rolleyess

JK2 is more advaned than ST:EF.

But Raven did an amazing job on ST:EF - some of the best maps/weapons in a game ever.

I'm 50/50 because I really like Star Trek.

But Star Wars does make a more compelling and unique universe - since ST is about an alternative future for Earthlings.

Someone end this topic........

One question.............

The Q are omnipotent correct? There seems to be more powerful Q in the Continumn or something. The Q that was removed of his powers in a TNG episode obivously didn't want them removed. Now if the Q are omnipotent, they can do anything, so why didn't THAT Q stop his removal?

This is really the last input I will put in on the subject of Q.

First I just want any that are to stop defining him. Seeing as how none of us can define something that doesn't exist and exists in such a way that we can't even comprehend .

I think the only people that can tell us who would 'win' would be George and Gene. I know Gene isn't around but many of the writers of Star Trek today like Jerry Taylor were close to him and knew many of the things that made up his universe. I would love to see them get together and throw out ideas.

You by now should know my personal opinion of the matter on Q, so I will no longer reiterate my ideal. Go ahead and think differently, in fact I want you to do so. I will continue my thinking on Q, and you can continue yours.

In my mind Q lives on the same as the day he first made me aware of his presence.

Last sentence for me in this forum unless someone makes a stupid remark specifically about what I said in this post: Long live Star Trek.

Says the SW fan.

Actually I'm a fan of both universes (you missed the bit where my post showed the knowledge of Star Trek that only a fan would have right?) I just accept that on a technical level Star Wars products are generally better produced. If a Star Wars televised series was produced to the same standard as the films were (I know budget concerns would factor but ILM are nothing if not inventive) it would blow Star Trek out of the water (or vacuum or whatever).

Elite Force sub-standard?

Perhaps a bit harsh, but it certainly provided nothing new in terms of gameplay, and only the fact that it carried the ST brand meant that I bought it. The Single player game was far too short, was plagued by terrible ally AI, and suffered from not having Jeri Ryan's voice when 7 was such a prominent character (Luke was never present enough for his voice to irritate).

The Eclipse (as has been stated) carries a component superlaser (the death star combined a number of these for its planet-destroying beam) and consequently has a weapon that no borg cube can defend against, as the power output dwarfs anything a lone cube can produce. Also being the Emperor Reborn's personal flagship, it benefits from his ability to cause space rupturing force storms, capable of laying waste to entire fleets (real fleets of 10000 ships, not the 16 or so cubes the Borg typically use, or even the 1500 the UFP managed to muster at one point). SW ships are so more advanced in terms of what they can do as they don't even pretend to use science, they practically run on magic.

Don't even get me started on Warp vs. Hyperspace...

Originally posted by RoyalGuard

1) you missed the bit where my post showed the knowledge of Star Trek that only a fan would have right?

2) The Single player game was far too short, was plagued by terrible ally AI

3) The Eclipse (as has been stated) carries a component superlaser (the death star combined a number of these for its planet-destroying beam) and consequently has a weapon that no borg cube can defend against, as the power output dwarfs anything a lone cube can produce.

4) Also being the Emperor Reborn's personal flagship, it benefits from his ability to cause space rupturing force storms, capable of laying waste to entire fleets (real fleets of 10000 ships, not the 16 or so cubes the Borg typically use, or even the 1500 the UFP managed to muster at one point).

5) SW ships are so more advanced in terms of what they can do as they don't even pretend to use science, they practically run on magic.

6) Don't even get me started on Warp vs. Hyperspace...

1) It contained enough that said SW owns ST. :)

2) Try to imagine JO without the Star Wars license. And there is no force or lightsabers in Star Trek, that's all JO has over other FPS games.

3) Uh, right. Again, your SW-biased opinion does not consider that the Borg could adapt and simply absorb the beam - or something else. And I don't remember seeing changes in the weapons (technobabble stuff like rotating frequencies) in Star Wars so it would mean bye-bye Eclipse... and thanks for the energy. ;)

What makes you think SW's shields would stop the Borg if ST's usually can't?

The problem when you pit magic against technobabble is that you can only assume, which is the reason it's so humorous (in a pathetic way) when people try to make one side better than the other while ignoring obvious things that would counter their argument. Blind faith in your fiction leads to the dark side of nerd-dom, young Padawan. ;)

4) I like how you say "real fleet" as if the number of ships in a fleet determined that SW was better than ST. And if you have to compare completely different universes at a combat level: leave out the magic stuff, will you? Or I'll just let Picard call Q to snap the emperor away. ;)

5) And that makes them better? When I look at a Star Destroyer, all I see is some big clunky ship that seems to be getting into age. Do they even have weapons other than differently powerful (insert Dr. Evil joke here) lasers?

A borg cube is still operational when over 90% of it is destroyed, and can be combined with others to create a more powerful ship. More impressive than grey ships that run on magic, no? ;)

6) What, that Hyperspace is, once again, magic that even needs calculations to use, whereas Warp (like Transwarp etc.) can be activated when you need it? :)

1) It contained enough that said SW owns ST.

2) Try to imagine JO without the Star Wars license. And there is no force or lightsabers in Star Trek, that's all JO has over other FPS games.

Perhaps. Now take Elite Force, take out the Star Trek liscense, and phaser weapons. Now how good of a game is it?

3) Uh, right. Again, your SW-biased opinion does not consider that the Borg could adapt and simply absorb the beam

A couple of problems with this. The Borg cube in ST First Contact, the "hardy" one that makes it all the way to Earth (they adapted to all that firepower on the way right?) is destroyed by the measly firepower of the Enterprise E (and if you want, that tiny band of other ships). Now unleash the firepower of the Deathstar (the first one even). Enough power to destroy a PLANET (thousands of times larger than the cube) a planet with a planetary SHIELD even (Alderaan). Methinks that at that beam spread, the Death Star could wipe out a FLEET of Cubes if they wanted to. Don't forget the Deathstar has hyperdrive.. so it's not like the cubes could just "run away" (I'd hazard to say that even with their "transwarp").

- or something else. And I don't remember seeing changes in the weapons (technobabble stuff like rotating frequencies) in Star Wars so it would mean bye-bye Eclipse... and thanks for the energy.

They can modulate their weapons. Compare the DeathStar II blowing up those Rebel ships.. and then vs. it preparing to blow up the Rebel base (we don't actually see it of course).

Obviously you need thousands of times more energy in the beam to blow up a shielded planet than a few mile long spacecraft. So there you have the ability to increase power in the weapons.

They can move their shields around. Ever played the X-Wing series? It's all about managing power to weapons and shields (we see this in the Death Star Trench run in ANH as well).

Compare the way the AT-AT weapons can be changed in power from the shots that kill an individual footsoldier, to the shots that blow up the Hoth rebel base. That's quite a difference there, I'd say!

What makes you think SW's shields would stop the Borg if ST's usually can't?

Because in ST, 99.999% of the shields use the same "pulsing" model. All you need is the frequency and boom, you're in. Pretty crappy shields if you ask me. Star Wars has multiple shield types, that behave differently. Compare the shields in Episode I alone... you have the bubble shields on the Naboo city, the shield on the cockpit of the Bongo craft that they took through the "planet core," the theater shields used by the Gungan forces, the personal shields used by the Destroyer Droids on the planet and on the Viceroy's ship, and the invisible shields on the Droid Battleships and command ship (the ones the wimpy Naboo starfighters couldn't penetrate).

Then you have the other types of shields in the films, the shields projected around the Death Star II in ROTJ, the planetary shield on Alderaan, the shields on regular ships, etc.

The shields in ST tend to "bounce" objects off of them, assuming they don't pass right through. In SW, most shields vaporize objects that touch them. Note that some shields are semipermeable (the shields the Gungan's used for example) where slow moving, smaller objects can pass through, but fast moving projectiles and energy bursts explode harmlessly on their surface.

So let's say a Borg tries to walk through a certain SW shield.. woosh! Vapor.

Now let's say they try to BEAM through.. oops again, all that jamming and thick armor made it impossible for them to get through. Doh! Maybe they can run away.. oops, they can't.

The problem when you pit magic against technobabble is that you can only assume, which is the reason it's so humorous (in a pathetic way) when people try to make one side better than the other while ignoring obvious things that would counter their argument. Blind faith in your fiction leads to the dark side of nerd-dom, young Padawan.

So it's a stalemate. One's pseudo-science, the other magic. What's the difference? One admits it's imaginary, the other pretends it's "possible." (no offense to magick practioners.. but that's a religion, and religions are based on faith in the supernatural, not testable scientific theories).

4) I like how you say "real fleet" as if the number of ships in a fleet determined that SW was better than ST. And if you have to compare completely different universes at a combat level: leave out the magic stuff, will you? Or I'll just let Picard call Q to snap the emperor away.

Cursory examination of the SW films vs. the ST films and tv shows will reveal that where ST considers 100 ships an exceptional amount, that's barely the complement of ships a typical warcraft carries into battle. The size and scope difference is incredible between the two franchises. Makes sense when Hyperspace lanes run all through the SW galaxy, but in ST, it takes 70 years to move across quadrants (since warp drive is so slow).

5) And that makes them better? When I look at a Star Destroyer, all I see is some big clunky ship that seems to be getting into age. Do they even have weapons other than differently powerful (insert Dr. Evil joke here) lasers?

So you're judging by appearance now? Which is prettier.. a corvette, or an M1 Tank? Which one would win in a fight?

And yes, they do have different weapons, but why use phasers when you have turbo lasers? If they can do far more damage, why not?

A borg cube is still operational when over 90% of it is destroyed,

I thought Data said it was "over 70%." That's not quite 90. Regardless, a blast from the deathstar can destroy objects thousands of times larger than a borg cube, as we've seen from the films.

and can be combined with others to create a more powerful ship. More impressive than grey ships that run on magic, no?

Appearance matters not. Besides, a borg cube is just a giant grey rubix cube covered in wires. This isn't a beauty contest!

6) What, that Hyperspace is, once again, magic that even needs calculations to use, whereas Warp (like Transwarp etc.) can be activated when you need it?

The Millennium Falcon can reach the galactic core (assuming they entered our galaxy and started from earth) in about 7 hours.

How long would it take the Enterprise D, assuming they could go at Warp 9.999 etc? Hmm.. over 50 years.

Granted, the radiation would kill you long before you got there, but at least the Falcon's shields would protect you longer than the Enterprise's!

Archived