Home

Star Wars Versus Star Trek

Assault3000

Star Wars versus Star Trek  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars versus Star Trek

• Star Wars and Jedi Knight II / Academy
    • Star Trek and Elite Force / 2
    • What is Star Wars and what is Star Trek?

Oh and the ships in SW are much better in apearance. Lets see...

SW: X-Wings, TIE-Fighters, Y-Wings, N-1s, TIE-Intercepters, TIE-Bombers, A-Wings, B-Wings and so on.

ST: their equivilant are like mini-busses without wheels.

I only have to mention one ship really, that I personaly think would wipe out over half of the SW ships in a real(if you want to think it in fantasy terms) battle.

The Defiance.

If you dont watch Star Trek then you wouldnt know what I am talking about, if you have seen the Defiance in action then you know what I mean. If you still dont believe me after you have seen the Defiance in action then you are just biased to SW, but this is just an opinion.

In terms of fantasy movie/sci fi, technicaly speaking the Defiance is probably one of the badest(bad word I know) ship to fly the spacial expanse that I have seen in a sci fi setting, except for the Andromeda, but I wont go into that here in a SW/ST discussion.

*edit* BTW I agree, good post Rhan.

*edit* Thank you for reminding me that its 'Defiant' been awhile since I watched DS9 so I sliped a bit.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The space combat in particular is one thing I pay attention to. I think ST hits right where it's aiming with the naval-combat style.

Also, the SW small fighter conflicts are a blast to watch. I just wish the big ships would get into it a little more...they always just seem to sit in one spot and shoot...they aren't as 'active' as they could be, even for large ships.

I love space combat games, even though I'm not good at 'em sometimes. Back in the day, I swear I could play Wing Commander III until my eyes bled :D

I love Star Trek the original series, and the Next Generation was a show I watched back in the 80's and early 90's (and I recently watched every single episode in order for a conference paper).

But... in terms of overall "coolness/fun" I just like Star Wars a lot better.

Granted, both franchises are very popular, and mainstream, but SW just does it for me. Besides, other than EGA Trek and Elite Force, I haven't played a single decent ST game. ; p

SW has had some bad games, but the good ones are some of my all time favorite games (such as the Dark Forces series!).

As to who would win in a fight... I'd say Star Wars...

Here's a site that makes a good case for that:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/index.html

I like both Star Trek and Star Wars, although I belive that Star Trek is better. Why ?

Some of you are talking about how Star Wars is epic and ST is not. True, SW is very epic but so is ST. All ST series and films interminge with eachother and when you take a step back you and look at the whole big picture you will see the whole epic picture.

And ST is not just about a ship that goes around looking for trouble and does not fight.

The Next Generation series (With Piccard) was mostly about political problems that the dederation faced. It was great. There was action but what made it great was the storylines. Storylines that affected civilizations, entire cultures and the federation itself. They were controversial issues that translated into our own politics of today and there were moral dilemas all the time.

DS9 was mostly action and war. First half of the show was familiarising with the setting of the federation taking over operation of Cardassian station in Bejoran space after end of the Cardasian occupation of Bejor (politics and tensions already)

The last 3 seasons were all pure war against the Dominion where federation and other allies were almost wiped out. It was all mix of politics, war tactics and the biggest, greatest battles of any movie and show. It was a spectacular site when you saw entire fleets composed of hundreds of ships clash together sleek capital ships forming lines and taking up tactical positions while smaller ships and federation fighters avoided enemy fire and disabled enemy ships. And there were many of those battles. Two seasons worth of battles mind you ;)

Voyager was about a ship and its crew being stranded in another part of galaxy where it would take 70 years to get back home to the alpha quadrant. They faced both great moral dilemas and sacrafices on how to acheve their goal and many intense adventures along the way.

Movies dealed with many issues and the latest movies are the best as they intermingle with the shows . All movies had great storylines and First Contact was a masterpiece :)

But what makes trek great is that all the issues on the shows translate directly into moral issues that we are facing right now in our own world. If it was my way, Star Trek would be the guide book on how to govern today's world.

Star Trek is also the future. All technologies in star trek are based on real life theories and concepts. All the weapons, warp engines, transporters etc. are all way of the future that are being researched and created right now as I write this. Many star trek technologies that were dreams when the first shows/movies played, exist now.

Federation is something that I am sure will exist in 200 years. I will bet my life on it. Star Trek is the future ;)

Also Star Trek is not just good vs. evil like SW is. The federation is not pure good and the rest are bad. Although federation is mostly the good guys, there are also dark aspects of it. Sometimes what is done in the name of federation and good not always is, and the other side is the good side. More complicated good stuff :)

Some clarifications about stuff I saw in this thread:

[*]The music written for star trek was/is written in many instances my Jerry Goldsmith, one of the best composers in hollywood. You will see him in credits for most movies.

[*]The cool ship on DS9 is the 'Defiant', not 'Defiance' ;)

Although the ship is powerful, it is only a new type of a small destroyer that was built to battle the Borg (those big green cube ships that kick ass all the time)

GDefPhaser3.jpg

[*]Star Trek weapons - they are not pea shooters. Federation uses phaser weapons (which by the way the technology is researched in real life - look for 'phased energy') and in many shows fights take between lightly armed away teams armed only in standard sidearms. Star trek has vast array of weapons that range from federations Phaser Compression rifles to Klingon disruptors.

The TR-116 matter transporter rifle:

563297.jpg

Ok, that senough from me as I could write a whole book on this.

Hopefully this informed many about Star Trek :)

Both Star Wars and Star Trek are great in their different ways :)

Morph :trooper:

You know I totally agree with Azraelt. Obi, you seem like you haven't watched more than 1 or 2 episodes from only a few of the series. Some of you comments were extrememly off base even for an opinion.

First of all if you have ever seen the beginning of Star Trek: First Contact you would know they are not just all talk. The battle scene starts off with a large mass of federation ships hammering the crap outa of very badass borg cube. That is without a doubt action and really cool to watch at that.

Also I believe one guy in this forum was referring to the Defiant (even though he said Defiance) which is a ship that is far from the looks of a mini-bus. I don't even know where you get the whole mini-bus thing from.

You also mention their control panels. Why does it matter that they are flat panels. Touch screen can do anything a flight stick can do, plus LCARS looks cooler than cheap little joysticks and plastic buttons. Give me glass panels over plastic buttons and lights anyday.

Not many aliens in Star Trek even look anything a-like. Just because the vulcans aren't very different visually you seem to assume that they isn't much variety in costum design. Also the only person I am recalling that even had some kind of body tatoo's because they were a different species was the trill on DS9.

You also state that the weapons do not look as cool. I am sorry but I must say that the assault weapons look awesome.

Your statement about the composers of the Star Trek music only show how little research you actually did because the composer for the Star Trek series did an excellent job and is well known and well paid. Jerry Goldsmith is not a no-name. No he didn't do the music for Titanic or anything but he has a big name none the less. Just because you haven't heard of him in your small world doesn't mean he doesn't exsist.(sorry if that sounded flame-ish, I couldn't make it sound nice.)

Also the humor was not sub-par in anyway. Within almost any episode is several jokes that are hilarious to anyone that doesn't have something shoved up a certain orifice. To meet your challenge I will recall a funny part right off of memory just like that. I was thinking of the time that Riker was cooking eggs and he handed out plates to all his friends and they all dug in. Everyone was spitting it out and saying that it was terrible except Worf was over there shoveling it down. He then said with his famous subtlety, "Delicious".

You now have a view-point from a person that actually watches Star Trek. I am not biased like many of you because I watch a lot of Star Trek and have seen all the Star Wars movies, played almost all the games, and read a good many books. I am not trying to be mean to you Obi but you short changed Star Trek and I feel it was because your lack of general knowledge about Star Trek.

Plus someone mentioned the horrible games that came out for ST. Well I thought episode 1 was appauling all except for the last sabre battle. Plus force commander and The Pantom Menace were both terrible games.

I don't hate Star Trek, lemme say that. I like TNG and DS9 and I'll watch Voyager in a pinch. I cannot stand the OS or Enterprise. Flat-out, I hate them.

You say Star Trek's battles are more realistic that SW's because they resemble naval warfare? Naval warfare is a very two-dimentional way to fight, and if there's ever war in space, it'll deffinately be much more 3D than that. They'll be dogfights, ala SW. Also, SW has the naval warfare feeling, too... only with the plains and the ships involved. The massive ships of SW are carriers, and also lay down coverfire for their smaller ships.

I hate how Trekkies claim that ST is more realistic than SW. Faster than Light travel isn't possible; it might be possible to travel utilizing alternate dimensions, as in SW. Transporters... they're just a cheesy 60s sci-fi gimmick!

And as for the aliens... my gosh... how can you not admit that they're just what obijonkenobi said they were? "every alien is human with some tattoo design on their face, body, or having silicon putty stuck to their forehead or ears." I cannot think of any completely other-worldly sentient creatures in ST. They've all got two eyes, one nose, one mouth, two arms and two legs. They're all humanoid.

Yes, ST has shapeshifters, cyborgs and timetravellers. Timetravellers... heh... whatever. SW also has cyborgs (had them first, too. Lobot ring a bell?) and shapeshifters (SW2 is gonna rule!). And it's not like those are really unique things in popular sci-fi, anyway.

Sw just has the feeling. The gritty feeling of reality that overwhelms any technobabble-that-sounds goodsense of reality.

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

I don't hate Star Trek, lemme say that. I like TNG and DS9 and I'll watch Voyager in a pinch. I cannot stand the OS or Enterprise. Flat-out, I hate them.

You say Star Trek's battles are more realistic that SW's because they resemble naval warfare? Naval warfare is a very two-dimentional way to fight, and if there's ever war in space, it'll deffinately be much more 3D than that. They'll be dogfights, ala SW. Also, SW has the naval warfare feeling, too... only with the plains and the ships involved. The massive ships of SW are carriers, and also lay down coverfire for their smaller ships.

I hate how Trekkies claim that ST is more realistic than SW. Faster than Light travel isn't possible; it might be possible to travel utilizing alternate dimensions, as in SW. Transporters... they're just a cheesy 60s sci-fi gimmick!

And as for the aliens... my gosh... how can you not admit that they're just what obijonkenobi said they were? "every alien is human with some tattoo design on their face, body, or having silicon putty stuck to their forehead or ears." I cannot think of any completely other-worldly sentient creatures in ST. They've all got two eyes, one nose, one mouth, two arms and two legs. They're all humanoid.

Yes, ST has shapeshifters, cyborgs and timetravellers. Timetravellers... heh... whatever. SW also has cyborgs (had them first, too. Lobot ring a bell?) and shapeshifters (SW2 is gonna rule!). And it's not like those are really unique things in popular sci-fi, anyway.

Sw just has the feeling. The gritty feeling of reality that overwhelms any technobabble-that-sounds goodsense of reality.

You must also realize that since ST is a series more than a movie that they can't lay down the kinda funds that big boy Lucas can. Therefore the aliens may be more to fit the budget. Doesn't make them any worse.

Yes the Transporters was just a 60's gimmick. What about the little 'gimmicks' in Star Wars? What you call a gimmick we call a graphical effect. It doesn't matter how old it is or how not-real it looks, it is still a graphical effect and all movies and series use them pretty much.

Don't get me wrong I am hear cause I like Star Wars but for god's sake people don't bad mouth something you don't actually watch. We have opinions but somethings you are saying are irrational.

Oh yes and why does it matter which one is more real? Don't we enjoy ST and SW so much because it is an escape from REALity. Because it is fantasy? Personally I am going to want the one that isn't going to be real. The one that is most imaginative. Something that isn't real so that I can go to a different world and enjoy myself. Saying SW is more real is kinda insulting to SW because it is suppose to be an adventure in a world of fantasy.

I knew if I said some off-base comments about ST I would get alot of Trekies crying to their mummies!

Trekie: "WHAAAAA! Mummy the bad man said Star Trek sucks! I want my bottle now! WHAAAAA!"

Some times it is way too easy.

I never new one persons opinion could make so many people crying. Especially since that one person is someone they don't even know!

Why do you need other people to agree with your comments anyway? If everyone else in the world hates Star Trek would that mean you would like it less? I'd think not, so why do you need to convince others Star Trek is better? Its only your opinion, like mine is only my opinion. Only my opinion is important to me and I only take my opinion into consideration and don't care if you all hate Starwars. So why should you care about other peoples opinions of Star Trek. Only your opinion is worth worrying about as far as your concerned.

Oh and yes actually I have seen a fair few episodes of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and the original seriesl. Oh yeah and I've seen all but the first ST movie (and the odd-numberd movies I seen absolutly suck but the even number ones are better though)... And a few cartoon episodes based on the original series. When I said torpedo thingies I knew they were photon torpedos. Of course there is also QUANTUM torpedos too on the later model starships.

As for the defiance I've seen it in action and someone made a comment about it wiping out half the imperial navy... I think that fellow is a little too biased about Star Trek.

And the Borg was wrote into the series because they need to have an "almost invinsible enemy" to make the Federation the underdogs. Starwars did this without the need to overpower the Empire (one death star does not constitute an almost-invicible side).

And what about klingons by the way... They are humans with heavy scaring on their foreheads. Those blue dudes with antenae - blue skin with some straws on their heads. (dont take the scaring and star words literally as you know what i mean).

Oh look at me again I am sure this will score some hate posts for sure!

Once again I urge you to call your mummies as I am sure some of you trekies will be in tears once more.

Oh and guess what Eienstein did NOT say faster-then-light speeds were impossible. People miss quote him all the time. I wish I could remember what he ment but I do know he didnt mean it the way people say he did.

And just because humans have not acheived certain things doesnt mean that they wont be achieved in the future.

People thought going to the moon was impossible - that was only about 50 years ago. Imagine what we can do in a few centuries time (if we have not killed each other to the point of extinction by then)

Jedi would destroy the Borg in man-to-man combat. Even with out the use of a lightsabre.

Lightsabres of courlse could deflect the weapons and their reflexes could dodge them even if the sabres cant block (they see things before they happen remember - not even Borg can do that).

As for killing borg the Jedi can use the force to slam the borg into walls over and over severely fuking up any electonic parts to them.

And of course their is no proof a lightsabre cant cut through the borgs shields - even after they "adapt". Lightsabres blades are not that of an ordinary laser.

And guess what... To kill a borg cube, I am sure a weapon capable of destroying a planet would have not trouble taking out a floating rubix cube.

If everyone else in the world hates Star Trek would that mean you would like it less? I'd think not, so why do you need to convince others Star Trek is better?

I dont really remember reading a post saying Star Trek was better, just a couple people responding to a post that said that Star Trek was bad. They were just giving some info saying that it isnt, and at the same time not banishing Star Wars. The only post I read that was so one sided stating that Star Trek was bad.

Obiwan, what kind of moron are you?

I knew if I said some off-base comments about ST I would get alot of Trekies crying to their mummies!

Trekie: "WHAAAAA! Mummy the bad man said Star Trek sucks! I want my bottle now! WHAAAAA!"

With that comment you just lost any creditibility and respect I once had for you.

Did you read morpheus post, did you see the pictures? Maybe a simple minded person like you needs the fantasy of Star Wars because you can't understand the depth of Star Trek.

Go READ morpheus' post before you make another simple minded comment.

Even the Jedi is a bit lame. Ooo the force, I can move things with out touching them, Lucas was high when he invented that... You see with Star Trek, those things can be a reality, scientists are actually working on creating the technologies from Star Trek because it is plausable to use. Star Trek people didn't just whip something off the top of their head, they actually researched things and combined scientific laws and physics when making their technology. In star wars, everything is so far-fetched, sometimes it's rediculus!

Obi, when you give your opinion, it seems as though you have just watched 2 or 3 shows and imediatly put down the show without thinking about it. "oh a warp drive, how stupid is that." "Wtf kinda ship is that, it's all flat and aerodynamic, unlike the star wars ships, and where are the moveable parts like on the x-wing! that is so stupid!" Hey look! Phasers, hahahah that is lame!" Hey look, all the species look the same, they all have the same thing! That is lame, I am never watching this crap again"

You have just given you opinion without even thinking about the logic behind Star Trek.

Now you resort to these type of comments because you have nothing to say that can even compare to what Morpheus said.

Why don't you actually make a post like Morpheus, with pictures and other facts, then I will take you seriously!

Now I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars, but when you make the comments that you did ObiWan, it just makes yourself seem like a complete 14 year old moron.

We are trying to actually have a civilized conversation in this thread. Morpheus, great post man.

Thank you Azraelt :)

Just some things to clear up abaout ST technology mentioned above:

>>>>I hate how Trekkies claim that ST is more realistic than SW. Faster than Light travel isn't possible; it might be possible to travel utilizing alternate dimensions, as in SW. Transporters... they're just a cheesy 60s sci-fi gimmick!

[*] In Star Trek for faster-than-light travel is enabled my creating a 'Warp' field around the ship. When the ship travels, it bends space around it. It is like taking a pece of paper and folding it/rippling it and then passing over. The ship actualy takes a shortcut as the space is bent so it kind of 'leaps' over the bent space and therefore it goes at light speeds.

-I know, I just probably confused everybody as I am terrible at explaining this stuff, but with this real-life theoretical technology it is possible because the ships is not as much affected as the space around it.

Star Trek universe also uses 'Transwarp (Borg ships)' and 'Slipstream (experimental federation technology)' - as far as I know they work preaty much like the Star Wars counterpart means of travel. In both technlogies a 'counduit' is punched through sub-space so it kind of creates a temporary wormhole from one place to another that travels with the vessel. Both 'Slipstream' and 'Transwarp' differ in their aspects and are much faster then normal Warp. Slipstream has been under research by the federation but it is not yet safe when it comes to navigating and caused the crash of Voyager in one of the time episodes. Transwarp is used by the Borg and Federation can not copy the technology as borg are more advanced. Transwarp nodes have been stolen but they only work for a short duration as they burn out.

[*]Transporters are not just a '60 gimmick. This is also a theoretical technology as matter can be created into energy and energy can be sent through wavelenghts and megnetic fields. Basic physics, but stillfar away from actualy happening because lack of technology.

I can not much compare both SW and ST technologies to eachother as I know very little about SW tech. Sorry. But hopefuly this batch of useless knowledge help understand some technologies of the future for those who care :)

Morph :trooper:

PS: About Borg Cubes vs. Deathstar - now thats a battle that I would love to see. Deathstar definately has advantage in size and its superweapon, and Borg have the ability to adapt to enemy weapons. Even if borg cube's shields go down, the thing is like a fortress and it still can function at 80% damage - thats why one borg cube can literarly go through federation space and all the way to earth before it got destroyed by federation fleet (or whats left of it) in First Contact. Deathstar on the other hand is obviously a superfortress with more firepower than a cube so multiple cubes would have to be used.

Most of deathstars firepower can be absorbed bu borg adaptive shielding, but the shields would not be able to stop the superweapon. Cubes would do quite a massive damage on the surface of deathstar, but because of of the thick armor, deathstar inernaly would not be damaged. Deathstar would just take out each of the cubes with the superweapon one by one.

But cubes will most certainly transport borg troops into the station and stormies stand no chance vs. the borg drones. Borg would assimilate deathstar from inside out.

-So the verdict - both forces loose. Borg loose cubes by superweapon, and in matter of hours empire lose deathstar by assimilation.

It would be quite fun to watch stormies vs borg.

"Hey, you there!"

"You will be assimilated"

:)

PSS: This is a borg cube for those who don't know (crappy pics from Firs Contact):

GBrgKaboom4.jpg

Stfc011.jpg

The Defiant getting hit with a beam while in the background a photon torpedo is about to impact into the cube. Sorry for the horrible images.

Obi, I don't think correcting your mistakes and misconceptions about Star Trek is considered whining. In fact calling us whiners just shows your our immaturity.

Plus I seriously don't think Jedi could stand up to the borg. I mean lets look at the facts.

The Jedi couldn't use their mind tricks to control anything the borg does because their link up with the Hive Mind is computer based. Plus the borg would adapt to the SW blasters immediatly and then proceed to assimilate all the Jedi.

And even if the Borg needed to retreat they have Transwarp and could outrun the Jedi ships indefinitely.

That is just my take on it.

Yes the Transporters was just a 60's gimmick. What about the little 'gimmicks' in Star Wars? What you call a gimmick we call a graphical effect. It doesn't matter how old it is or how not-real it looks, it is still a graphical effect and all movies and series use them pretty much.

SW gimmicks are not portrayed as scientific fact, in any case. They're elements of a fantasy story. And they're still more realistic than most things in Trek. And the fact that reputable scientists are actually persuing some of these ideas just proves that they're ST fans who want to see if it can be done (hasn't been any indication that it can, thus far). However, the ion engines from SW do appear to be reproducable.

Don't get me wrong I am hear cause I like Star Wars but for god's sake people don't bad mouth something you don't actually watch. We have opinions but somethings you are saying are irrational.

I do actually watch Star Trek. Not the original series or Enterprise, but if I catch sight of TNG on TV, I deffinately keep it on that channel. Voyager's a little iffy, and DS9 isn't on any of the stations we get (I wish it was; the Dominion war was great). But it's all entertainment, and what gets to me is people saying "ST is much more realistic than SW" and taking it way too seriously as far as technology goes.

And there's no way the Borg could destroy the Jedi. See, in a Deathstar vs. Borg situation, Vader would be there and he'd be thrashing the Borg. The Jedi aren't restricted to mind tricks :rolleyess especially one who would be working for the Empire. Punching holes through the walls to suck them into space... electrocuting them... screwing around with their inner mechanics... no way the Borg would stand a chance against a Jedi. And since they're not really alive, no Lightsider Jedi would really restrict himself, either! You saw Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's treatment of Battle Droids in Episode I! That's what would happen to the Borg!

SW gimmicks are not portrayed as scientific fact, in any case. They're elements of a fantasy story. And they're still more realistic than most things in Trek. And the fact that reputable scientists are actually persuing some of these ideas just proves that they're ST fans who want to see if it can be done (hasn't been any indication that it can, thus far). However, the ion engines from SW do appear to be reproducable.

I do actually watch Star Trek. Not the original series or Enterprise, but if I catch sight of TNG on TV, I deffinately keep it on that channel. Voyager's a little iffy, and DS9 isn't on any of the stations we get (I wish it was; the Dominion war was great). But it's all entertainment, and what gets to me is people saying "ST is much more realistic than SW" and taking it way too seriously as far as technology goes.

And there's no way the Borg could destroy the Jedi. See, in a Deathstar vs. Borg situation, Vader would be there and he'd be thrashing the Borg. The Jedi aren't restricted to mind tricks :rolleyess especially one who would be working for the Empire. Punching holes through the walls to suck them into space... electrocuting them... screwing around with their inner mechanics... no way the Borg would stand a chance against a Jedi. And since they're not really alive, no Lightsider Jedi would really restrict himself, either! You saw Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's treatment of Battle Droids in Episode I! That's what would happen to the Borg!

You totally missed the point. The guy called Transporters a simple 60's sci-fi gimmick. All I was pointing out was the fact that anything can be seen as a gimmick in his way of seeing it. It doesn't matter which one is more real. If you are looking for something that is more realistic why don't you go watch some HGTV because that is real. ST and SW are the opposite of real. That is the reason they are called "fantasy" worlds. Saying that they are any more real in SW or ST is kinda stupid simply because none of it actually exsist so none of it is any more real than the other. Ok if Luke walked into my house right now and said hello then we could say SW is more real than ST, or if good ol' Jean Luc himself knocked on my door to come beam me up, then we could say likewise, but to say one is more real than the other at this point is just kidding yourself. If you are looking for something in Sci-fi because it is real, then you are fool. Plain and simple. I also dont recall every saying that ST was more real than SW, in fact I have never even thought of it that way.

Also the borg would still whoop up the Jedi's. Plus you said that the borg aren't alive, when infact they are very alive. They are not just machines but very organic. I can't believe you didn't know that and you claim to watch a lot of trek.

Sorry that faster than light thing really anoyed me, for a start ignoring all other evidence faster than light travel is only highly improbably using our CURRENT model on the universe, one which is almost definatly wrong. Secondly, the theory of warp travel is no more wrong or right, proved or disproved than taking the sorter path given by any further dimensions. The warp idea is quite backed up (although totaly theroretical and by no means exists), star wars only really ever say "prepair for light speed, wooooooossshhhh".

I love both programs so i wont even bother desiding, but ppl please have just arguments

Oh yeah and dont tell Mr Tachion that faster than light travel isnt possible, it might get upset.

I'm evil, BUMP!

To the borg vs. jedi, I think the jedi will win. People are forgetting one itty-bitty detail here, the force is like the god in the SW universe. Jedi are stronger or weaker depending on their connection to the force. The force surrounds all living beings, save the Yuuzong Yung and perhaps the Yslamari. To block the force would mean killing themselves(borg) in a way. Jedi can use the force to do multiple things, like Kyp's memory erasing in the Jedi Academy series. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

That stuff about the Defiant:

The Executioner (vaders flag ship in the movies) housed about 100,000 people, the Defiant...? 200 maybe (I dont know).

Not only does the Executioner have like 150 tiefighters but one shot from it's turbolasers and bye bye Defiant....Nuff said about that....of course this is all fantasy anyways.

The battle scenes in Star Trek the next generation were really boring.....2 ships would just sit still and shoot at each other but the DS9 battles were pretty cool I have to admit. However the last 3 episodes of DS9 were just a rip-off of the Shadow War from Babylon 5...trying to grab onto some badly needed ratings.

Anyways, about all this crap about how ST is more realistic than Star Wars...who gives a crap? Is it more entertaining? Equally so in my opinion although the ST movies can't compare in the least to the SW movies.

if its SW vs Startrek in tearms of weaponary. All the starwars weapons seem to be lasers, something which no matter how powerful cant even penitrate a federation ships navigation sheild never mind main deflector. In return to the jedi where achbar says "consentrate all firepower on that super star destroyer" and one Awing crashing destroys is.....doesnt seem like much of a match to a quantum and photon torpedo equiped ST ship.

Hmmmmmm, thats a good point, however, I heard once that picard said that when he was against PRIMITIVE lasers. However you may throw that out since I heard this from a fanboy. Still the SW weaponary don't act like lasers, more like super fast projectile-like bullets with infinite supply.

You know it isn't really a good idea to start a conversation on personal opinion in this matter on a Star Wars board. Some people are too biased to get good facts to back up flaming Star Trek. They are both good, and I prefer Star Trek. I grew up with Star Trek and I think the universe is wonderful. You can flame Star Trek if it makes you feel good, but at least get facts right. We have people saying that Jerry Goldsmith is a nobody and calling the ship from DS9 the "Defiance". Get the facts right at least.

As to whether the Jedi can beat the Borg...I just don't think the Jedi could pull it off. The Borg would adapt to their lightsabers and as soon as just one Jedi is assimilated(which would eventually happen) they would learn all the secrets of the force because the Jedi's mind would combine with theirs. The Borg would then be able to control the force as they need to. That way the Borg would have the force and they would be unstopable.

if its SW vs Startrek in tearms of weaponary. All the starwars weapons seem to be lasers, something which no matter how powerful cant even penitrate a federation ships navigation sheild never mind main deflector.

Incorrect. You assume that since Picard said that those particular lasers wouldn't pass through the nav deflectors, that the same must be true of all lasers, no matter how powerful they are. Such an assumption is purely unscientific, and borders on being an outright lie. This alone makes your statement untrue. However, as Omega said, lasers in SW are totally different from lasers in ST or real-life, and are bolts of magnetically sealed plasma rather than beams of coherent light.

In return to the jedi where achbar says "consentrate all firepower on that super star destroyer" and one Awing crashing destroys is.....doesnt seem like much of a match to a quantum and photon torpedo equiped ST ship.

The shields on the Executor failed only because of a sustained bombardment by the entire Alliance fleet on its forward shields. Once those shields went down, the Alliance fighters attacked targets of opportunity, including the bridge sensor domes. When one of these was destroyed, the bridge shields overloaded and went out. Then, When Arvel Crynyd's A-Wing was hit and he knew he was going to die no matter what, he sent his ship hurtling at full speed right into the bridge windows. All the bridge crew, of course, were killed either in the explosion or the rapid decompression that followed. Without anyone in the main bridge, the ship started to drift, and was pulled into the Death Star by the station's gravity. This happened quickly enough that none of the auxillary bridges could be manned in time to prevent this. So you see, the destruction of the Executor in RotJ was pretty much just a matter of luck on the Alliance's part, and due mostly to the heavy firepower of their Mon Cal cruisers. A single (as you imply) ship equipped with photon or quantum torpedoes wouldn't stand a chance against a ship with as much firepower as the Executor, or even against a simple Imperator-class ship. Photon and quantum torpedoes have an explosive yield in the 64- and 128-megaton range, while even an ISD's shields can withstand several shots from heavy turbolasers, which unleash an amount of energy equivalent to several gigatons of TNT. The ship's lighter weapons, which barely miss tiny 10-meter-long fighters, would have no problem hitting a 400-meter-long starship, and each of these releases nearly as much energy as a photorp.

I suggest all of you read the page linked to on the previous page, http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire. It offers an excellent comparison of this sort between differant technologies of SW and ST,as well as an extensive TNG episode database. This seciton also features a nice little page on the realism problems in ST:TNG, in order from the first to last episode of the show, which can be found here.

Archived