Home

Loom???

thefezz

Loom???

Hey there all!

I have been playing Lucasarts games for ages. I guess it's a secret shame/vice :)

Anyhow, as you can see by the title of this post, I am looking for an old game called Loom. Man i loved that game. It had the most inspiring ambience and captivating music out of any game i have ever played, new or old.

And it was a wonderfully original concept too.

However i have a problem. I have been trauling computer game stores, pawn stores (here in australia) and the net, and i can't find it!! I am getting desperate!!

I found a CD-Rip of it but it has no music or sound so what is the point?

If anyone could tell me where to download the old version with the ad-lib music i would be so grateful. Or email me (jstenn@cordiapower.com) or icq me (12284868). I'd be so happy if someone could give me a download of it. Apparently Lucasarts have consented to it being abandonware?

Also - if anyone has it on cd and wants to sell it - please give me a yell also.

Try looking for a copy of the Classic Adventures which includes the diskette version of Loom. LucasArts in North America still sells that game set.

It looks like EA Gold Coast handles LucasArts games Down Under so maybe you can get the Classic Adventures through them.

The CD version is in no wheres land these days. LucasArts admits it exists be does not sell it or support it. There must be some sort of licensing problem with it. Maybe, LucasArts doesn't want to pay the voice actors residuals or there was a problem the original distributor Software Toolworks which then became MindScape which then became The Learning Company which then became Mindscape again.

:explode:

I've got a copy (CD-R) of the CD version and no guilty feelings about it: They don't sell it. I already bought the disk version. That's it.

What is often forgotten about Loom CD is that it has 256 colors. Voices and non-midi music is nice, but I think that the redone graphics are worth more.

i have the cd version, bought it sealed with book of patterns and cdholder thingie from someone overseas (US).

the strange this is though, I thought it used to come with 2 cds. One game cd and one music cd for the audio drama. Well i only got the game cd...but im pretty content with it considering its pretty rare =]

Alien426: Remember me, I'm the guy who sent you your CD copy half a year ago! :cool: And by the way, I've succeeded to reconstruct the corrupted tracks (4,5) from the Audio Drama CD (thanks to Great Hierophant, who sent me the WAV files).

Everyone else:

Short info - Loom was originaly released on EGA diskette version with an Audio Drama (the prequel to the game) on audio tape. When it was released on the CD, in 1992, it was first released on 2 CDs - the first CD (the prequel to the game) is the Audio Drama CD - it was, of course, of better quality, and it also had 4 extra audio tracks - and the second CD is the Game CD itself.

Later, low budget versions were released, without the Audio Drama CD (the version QueZTone purchased).

Currently, the 2 CDs version is extremely rare, and even as a used item on eBay can very rarely be found (and will cost appropriate amount of money).

I, personally, have the 2 CDs version's CD-Rs, and also have the Audio Drama CD in German (thanks to Alien426 ;) )

Full info - Every single detail known to me (I believe so...) appears in the following Loom Versions FAQ, which was written by Great Hierophant, including consultations with some people (me too). That's the deepest Loom versions FAQ I've ever read (and actually is the only one), and I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in the details about Loom game, of all its versions, differences between versions, little in-game details, etc.

It's a really great FAQ - instead of discussing it here, just follow the link and check it out!

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/loom_versions.txt

Igor

P.S. - If someone is interested to see the scans of those CDs (only to prove that there is a 2 CDs version), I'll happily email it.

I was under the impression that it wasn't banned and it is infact availible for SALE on the net at a LucasArts company store. This site is as far as I can tell against the pirating of software and has the following "Disclaimer: Home of the Underdogs does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles have been discontinued by their publishers. If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention."

:confused: So u can grab it there if they aren't allow follow the disclaimer and let them know Lucas. It is infact a CD-rip version (enhanced VGA but no music or sound).

Please stop posting about downloading LucasArts games. LEC reads mixnmojo.com and these forums quite frequently. Since the webmasters hold responsibility for what goes on in the forums, allowing this discussion to go on could land them in a lot of trouble. If you continue to do so, we may have to close or possibly delete this thread.

I can understand why people are tempted to download less easily available LEC titles. Sure they might be available from the company store, but the store helpfully only ships to the US, due to agreements with their distributors. Most of these only distribute the very latest games (and these can be hard to find).

The lucas money making machine couldn't care less.

OK, what if I own a Loom CD that doesn't work any more? What do I do then? I (well, somebody else, actually, but that's the fine print) paid good money for it.

I'm not saying people should post links to it here, but.

I wasn't advocating putting links up, this isn't the place. It could land the people posting it and mojo in hot water. I was just saying that I can understand it.

Perhaps if it's a proper CD you could send it back to LEC and they might send you a new one. Probably not though :)

Originally posted by Metallus

Please stop posting about downloading LucasArts games. LEC reads mixnmojo.com and these forums quite frequently. Since the webmasters hold responsibility for what goes on in the forums, allowing this discussion to go on could land them in a lot of trouble. If you continue to do so, we may have to close or possibly delete this thread.

So then if LEC sees the forums, they'll know that Loom is available at the Underdogs website...They can't make any money selling the game....They file a lawsuit and make money, and stop this game pilfering, thanks to us!

You're welcome, LEC ;)

Archived