Home

Jedi Outcast - Best Game Ever?

crazyplaya73

Jedi Outcast is one of the best computer games ever made.  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Jedi Outcast is one of the best computer games ever made.

• Word nigga!!!
    • What are u freaking nuts???
    • Undecided

I'm with txa1265. JK II is my favorite game ever. I don't think I could ever say that one game is the best ever. There are many games that are nearly perfect in every way (and for that matter, some that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever). The thing that usually makes some games great is that they do something different, and they do it well. Comparing the features of revolutionary games to one-another is only a matter of personal preference. You can't compare Max Payne's bullet-time effect to Half-Life's enemy AI, or JK II's combat system, or ... <insert your favorite game here>.

As far as JK II is concerned, I'm not holding my breath for "Game of the Year". I don't think most people will think it's the "best" one since there'll definately be some stiff competition. I'm always open to the possibility that come December 31st, something else will get my vote, but its more likely that JK II will be my favorite game of all time for several years to come (JK 1 was my favorite up until JK II was released).

Guest Wedge598

I'll agree with you guys. The game is really good, but all said and done there are other games out there that did better with the cutscenes and level design. None of my complaints really detracted from my enjoyment of the game and I never got hung up for a frustrating amount of time. The game was very Star Wars and very enjoyable. So in that regard it is one of my favorites.

Originally posted by colonel_stryker

I don't understand the complaints of bugs about both MechCommander2 and JK2.

MechCommander2 is still one of my favorite games and I've no problems with it (unless I was trying to hack the savegames).

I know what you mean. My Beta version (yes, BETA, not Gold) ran fine once they gave us two patches to make it into a late beta. But SO MANY PEOPLE had problems with the Gold version and they STILL haven't released a patch.

It was one of the few games that the higher your system specs, the worse it ran (in most cases).

My old PIII 500 with 265 RAM ran it fine compared to some guy with a P4 2 GHtz with a 128 meg ram GForce card. I don't understand it, but it just happened that way.

BYE

While I wouldn't label JK2 as the best ever, it is in my top 3 list.

I would still list Half-Life as my #1. Not only did this game challenge you, but it revolutionized the FPS shooter at a time when they were both in their prime and needed innovation beyond the standard "shoot this person, jump, get rocket launcher" era.

What really makes HL the total package is the mulitplayer. I for one, wasn't impressed with JK2 MP outside the saber dueling modes. It just seemed like the same ole Quake style DM I have been experiencing in every single game since well.. Quake.

Well I do really like JK2 a lot (force powers and saber, mmm!) I awaiting the release of SOF2.

Real life guns in a game appeal to me more and it looks like it will be one hell of a game.

However I can tell I've been playing JK2 a bit too much now that when I play other FPS games (MOH, RTCW, Q3 etc) I find myself pressing the 'Q' button, which is normally my force pull button when bad guys manage to get a bit too close to get their weapon out of their hands... go figure.

:)

Originally posted by Jyt-Pon Dai'el

I'm with txa1265. JK II is my favorite game ever. I don't think I could ever say that one game is the best ever. There are many games that are nearly perfect in every way (and for that matter, some that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever). The thing that usually makes some games great is that they do something different, and they do it well. Comparing the features of revolutionary games to one-another is only a matter of personal preference. You can't compare Max Payne's bullet-time effect to Half-Life's enemy AI, or JK II's combat system, or ... <insert your favorite game here>.

As far as JK II is concerned, I'm not holding my breath for "Game of the Year". I don't think most people will think it's the "best" one since there'll definately be some stiff competition. I'm always open to the possibility that come December 31st, something else will get my vote, but its more likely that JK II will be my favorite game of all time for several years to come (JK 1 was my favorite up until JK II was released).

Thanks ...

Another thing - yesterday I was showing my kids (4 and 5.5, so they are not going to be playing anytime soon) the Yavin visit with Luke and the Yavin Trials - they were so into it it was just amazing ... confirmed my thoughts and feelings.

Then, last night, I was playing in the Cairn Bay (this is my 3rd time through), and come past the checkpoint where you get a Reborn, two doors, then more reborn, then the walker. I decided I wanted to learn that 'special Blue stance move', the crouching upward attack. I hadn't gotten it to hit before, but I just worked for a bit, and got it - very satisfying! Then I switched back to yellow, turned on speed, and wasted the reborns in the next room. As I sat waiting for the walker I thought about it - for me, there has never been a gaming experience like battling these guys - more so than even the 'boss' characters ... these are powerful enemies who will occasionally beat me. The way I look at it - if you don't find those one-on-one duels completely exhilarating, or find great joy in the 'Doom_Shields' level at wiping the level clean quickly using saber & the force, you will *never* have this be your favorite game, let alone view it as 'best ever'.

Me - I never really connected that much with Half-Life. I tried again and again, but JK1/MotS were much more fun for me. Dues Ex ... never bought it ... played the demo, didn't hook me either. MoH:AA - the demo pulled me in and I bought it. RtCW - as someone who played the original CW on an Apple][ when it was new, as well as Wolf 3D many years ago ... I just had to have it ...

Mike

It's just one great game. JO's far from being one of the best games. First, it lacks scope. Second, nothing about it is really new except for the excellent saber combat system. Third, JO doesn't and won't have any influence on future FPS, let alone the games industry.

TWO supposedly revolutionary games are coming this year. Look out for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (RPG) and Republic: The Revolution (RTS). The former's arriving in stores within a few weeks.

Originally posted by skankyhoe

Well I do really like JK2 a lot (force powers and saber, mmm!) I awaiting the release of SOF2.

Real life guns in a game appeal to me more and it looks like it will be one hell of a game.

However I can tell I've been playing JK2 a bit too much now that when I play other FPS games (MOH, RTCW, Q3 etc) I find myself pressing the 'Q' button, which is normally my force pull button when bad guys manage to get a bit too close to get their weapon out of their hands... go figure.

:)

It is funny ... when I started my replay, I found myself doing the same thing. For me Q is speed, and I have push/pull as mouse 4 & 5 on my Intellimouse Explorer.

... this is why I say 'best' is so subjective. I like MoH:AA and RtCW, and will likely pick up SoF2 - but I greatly prefer the Saber/Force to 'real guns & war'. But that's me ...

Mike

one thing, all these ppl singing the praises of HL, in both SP and MP capacity, lets face it HL in SP is very good.

HL in MP, no mods, is boring, its a sub standard version of Quake DM, and when i say Quake i mean the original quake, the only version of quake worth playing online really. Q2 and Q3 just watered the gameplay down really

HL is good in MP with its mods, so once JK2 gets some mods on the go whos to say it wont be better than HL? i would like a TFC style (i know ppl will probably jump on that, but i said style not copy) mod, rebels vs imperials, classes like jedi, gunner, trooper etc. it would be really cool.

the thing JK has behind it, is a wealth of familiar background material, that is i guess familiar to virtually most people on the planet.

Guest miked

Best star wars game ever - probably.

Bad points? I'm up to level 17 and the level design is starting to get a bit samey - go here, shoot stormies, go thru this door, slice up a Reborn.

There have probably been three or 4 good puzzles along the way but the jumping puzzles are INFURIATING. I would have expected FPS's had evolved beyond this.

The best games of all time have been the one's that have revolutionized some aspect of gaming. I loosely throw HL, Deus Ex, and Max Payne in that category though I might not pick those as my favorites (I really like JK1 and MotS actually). I'm only half-way thru JK2 but I can't say I've seen anything that revolutionary.

The use of the license is the by far the best ever seen in a SW game. I find the visual aspect (graphics) of some of the areas in JK2 to be mind-blowing but I'm not saying that the level design is the greatest. I think the models are some of the best I've seen. The feeling of realism in the game is the best I've experienced since playing Max Payne at 1280 resolution. Standing in the falling snow at night on a rooftop was the closest thing to "realism" I've seen in a game. Saber-combat and force powers are excellent.

But don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast and find myself thinking about this game alot. It hasn't grown on me like JK1 has but that'll probably take time.

I think the best use of the "Jedi license" would be to develop more of an RPG-style, first-person-sneaker, but with the superb graphics of an fps like JK2. Maybe more like Deus Ex with alot of interactivity, deep plot, multiple endings, less use of the Lightsaber (i.e. much less fighting and more stealth). In other words, send Luke or whoever on a mission where stealth and your wits are more important than blasting things. I think the depth of the SW universe would be bottomless for a game like that.

Originally posted by Robin Banks

If you read the tech support forum, you'll find that a lot of people suffering from bugs are far from ignorant, have good machines, and have tried installing new/recommended drivers, and in some cases a fresh OS, before asking for advice.

Here's the thing: You can have a computer with a p5, 3000 gh, the best 3d cards out there, and the fastest cd drive that money can buy. (not that those exist)

Only to be a Compaq.

ex: the x-box has powerful hardware, but there have been problems with some of the machines.

But it still just might be the game itself

Edit: I've enjoyed the game, but not the best ever...

Yeah forgot to mention System Shock 2 - what a friggin awesome game - made my skin crawl.

the ridiculously hard single player
What's so hard about SP? I'm halfway thru on Master difficulty. The only really hard thing was Tavion (so far) and that's because I truly SUCK at sabering.

It's great when the game forces you to come up with strategies. But I wish Force Speed didn't make killing stormtroopers so easy.

JO is an outstanding game. However, I preferred the single player in JK1. I actually am of the mindset that Deus Ex was the best FPS-type game, as I have mentioned in another thread.

JO does have the best implentation of melee combat for a FPS, without question.

As for the best game of 2002? I anticipate that either Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights will claim that prize.

Best FPS/action game of 2002? Could be.

Originally posted by Darth Lunatic

Jedi Knight 2 is good, but it is a long way behind games like Metal Gear Solid 2.

Technical Aspects of JK2 - The following is referring to the way the story is told

Once you play MGS2, you will realise how little effort went into creating Jk2. Thats not an insult to the game but a fact.

The animation, the amazing direction, the storyline, the tension created from the gameplay have IMO set the standard for todays games. Watch a cutscene from JK2, and compare it to a cutscene from MGS2. JK2 is technically woeful, bad use of the camera, shocking animation, bad lip synching. Which all detract from telling a good story and immersing the player in the fictionalised world.

The Metal Gear Solid series is indeed the most cinematic series on any game system. This is due to the fact that the creator wanted to make a movie-like game. Needless to say, he succeeded. Awesome cinematography, impressive directing, fantastic acting, supurb writing, all made for the most "interactive movie-like" experience ever.

Best game ever!:D Yes, I it has crashed on my system. No, I don't care. It's a cool game! Except there is one thing that I don't like. No Jerec!:( I require Jerec to survive! MAKE A JEREC SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Exactly GreyJedi! I think a lot more game companies should strive towards MGS2 standard. MGS2 is the closest to an interactive movie as your gonna get.

Games like Jedi Knight 2, although they have good gameplay, are SERIOUSLY lacking in the story telling/immersion part of what distinguishes the best from the average.

I agree that JK2 would have been improved with more interactivity with characters and environment kind of like Deus Ex. Raven and Lucasarts decided to go the traditional FPS route: whacking bad guys and solving some puzzles. It seems that there's just so far you can go with that model.

I have MGS sitting on my shelf - will have to try it. Shame that MGS2 in console-only.

JK2 might win FPS of the year...but that's comparing it only to other FPSes.

I really think the current FPS "model" is showing it's age. I'm hoping that something better evolves pretty soon that the FPS "can grow up into".

Archived