Home

How to stop those damned ads!

Desslock

I was recently informed of this nice little feature in IE, and since I found it so useful, albeit a little tedious, it does stop most of the ads from popping up. Heres how:

1) Clear your history and then your cookies then your temp. Internet files.

2) Open up Tools/Internet Options on the menu bar of an IE window.

3) Head to Security and click on Restricted sites.

4) If not set, set the bar to 'High', then click on sites.

5) Next, you want to get those ads to pop up again. Right click on the images and hit properties. Copy and paste the URL into the menu that opened when you hit the 'Sites' button and hit add.

That should do it. This will prevent companies/people putting cookies and things on your desktop. Please note: It is not perfect. Some ads will get through, but very few, if any at all, especially if you just use the net to browse a group of sites... for most of us, gaming, Ftp, and something I *wont* mention here :)

Edit: Bleh, I smell swamp already :) Its monday, give me a break...

if you're low on cash, you could get the latest free version of the Opera web-browser instead of buying ZA Pro. it's got built in pop-up options for opening them, opening them in the background, or refusing them...all of which you can quickly change on the fly, because sometimes you want a window to pop-up (i.e., downloading something from fileplanet). plus, it's a fast and cool browser anyway.

Irimi-Ai

Good posting.

I just posted a 'flame' regarding the popups/spyware on this site. It was only up for a couple of minutes before they "moderated" it (censored it more like - since the post was completely removed).

I wont go into that here - I was pretty mad when I posted it and used some colorf*l language. I am not surprised they canned the thread. I will only say that I am fed up with the popups on this site- I need to either find a way to prevent them or stop coming to the LucasForums site.

Thanks for the tips guys. Desslock I'm going to try out setting up some "high" levels of security in IE and add a few sites into the "restricted" listing.

Thanks again,

Cheers

DA

Originally posted by Irimi-Ai

if you're low on cash, you could get the latest free version of the Opera web-browser instead of buying ZA Pro. it's got built in pop-up options for opening them, opening them in the background, or refusing them...all of which you can quickly change on the fly, because sometimes you want a window to pop-up (i.e., downloading something from fileplanet). plus, it's a fast and cool browser anyway.

Irimi-Ai

I second that - Opera is a great browser anyway (much better than IE).

- http://www.opera.com

KPeh

Originally posted by DarkAgent

I just posted a 'flame' regarding the popups/spyware on this site. It was only up for a couple of minutes before they "moderated" it (censored it more like - since the post was completely removed).

On the contrary...it was simply moved to the Jediknightii.net->Feedback forum. :cool:

Please take the time to read the sticky post Where's my topic? at the top of the Valley to find out the appropriate forum for making posts. Anything site related - including ads - does not belong here. The Valley is for general discussion about Jedi Outcast ONLY.

This thread is also being moved to Feedback. ;)

You can do the same thing in Netscape 6.

Click on Edit > Preferences, then select "Privacy & Security", Click on Cookies, then click on "View stored cookies".

Select the box "Don't allow removed cookies to be stored later" and click on the cookies stored to inspect them.

Most Ad Cookies will eith have weird names or have Advertisement in the description. Just remove them and they will not return to haunt your computer again since you checked the "don't allow...." box (didn't you?)

That should be it if you can navigate through my writing....

right there with you, KPeh. i've been using opera for years, and can't stand any other browser. opera is just faster and got a lot more features. all the things you can do with netscape and IE can be done in Opera, and usually done better (IMO).

Irimi-Ai

I have used Mozilla (the browser Netscape is based on) from version 0.9.5 on.

In former times it was known for being buggy and slow, but that chaged with the last releases.

A Few Days ago they even released Version 1.0 Release Candidate 1. If you install the plugins from Xulplanet and add the plugins from MozDev you've got a Browser who is fast, really stable, and with all the features the other browsers have (Tabbed browsing, gestures to navigate) and even more (PGP support, integrated Jabber Client,....)

Mozilla really rocks.. and all that for free

• 2 weeks later...

What you can also do is grab a copy of Mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org/releases/ and fool around with its settings in blocking cookings and popup windows. What is nice about Mozilla is even though Netscape 6 is based on it, it is more up to date and you have more flexiblity with it. Make sure you download the Personal Security Manager and do these two things in your Preferences area:

1. Goto Privacy and security and choose your settings there like which cookies to block and so on.

2. Under the Advanced area, goto the Scripts and Windows area and uncheck "Open Unrequested Windows" which basically doesn't allow webpages to open up popup windows when you are entering and leaving a site.

or......you could download the latest version of opera and have the choice to turn pop-ups off/on on-the-fly with one keystroke, ather than clicking through menus and sub-menus each time you want to change the setting. plus, it has all the features of the other browsers and they are usually better (largely because they implemented those features first and they are in their 2nd or 3rd generation rather than 'brand new').

Irimi-Ai

Archived