Home

An examination of Lightsabers !

Exar

At the risk of dragging the thread even more OT...

The feats the Shaolin Monks accomplished are derived from a discipline that translates roughly as 'iron shirt'. To attain this skill you undergo intensive conditioning and physical training, combined with Chi development (aka Ki, thought force, empty force, mind over matter etc.) This Chi is very poorly understood in terms of Western science, yet its attainment and applications are common in more eastern philosophies - more specifically in Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Chi Kung. Practitioners of Iron shirt allude to 'moving their Chi inside them to the point of impact, where it reinforces that point so it can withstand impressive energy application (both direct kinetic energy as well as excessive temperatures)

Chi remains unpalpatable to most western scientists who put it in the same box as UFO's and the supernatural despite much annecdotal evidence to its effectiveness (both in defense, healing and offense) which certainly bears further investigation.

argh, almost synchronised posting...

I'm surpised that it's possible to generate a field of the right shape with magnets in a hilt configuration, I'd expect an 'hour-glass' blade...

Then again magnetic fields were never my strong point.

As for not being able to see laser manipulation that advanced in human existence, I'm pretty sure that Newton didn't see plasma coming!

OK... let me know when you find Medichlorians in YOUR blood.

I will add one thing to this Suasage fest...

If a Saber is just Plasma and magnetic fields Then WHY does a JEDI have to meditate and connect to the saber, and why is it that only a jedi can really create them??

:mob:

Thank you for expanding upon my point RoyalGuard. I have seen many feats of martial arts that demonstrate this example, which i beleive is an aspect of the force. I myself cant say how the generators would need to be alligned to produce the "blade" shape or if the allignment needed would require the generators to be positioned outside of the hilt. If that were so, than you could just scrap the whole idea of having a handy portable self-contained lightsaber. The trick is to find a field pattern that could contain the plasma while its source generators remain positioned within the hilt.

LoonBB, again you look at the 'explanation' for on-screen evidence when all we want to do is reproduce the effect. While I don't plan on finding out that I have midichlorians (though it would be a nice surprise) there are instances of reported telekinesis, mind control, iron shirt (force absorb?) etc. that may, in theory, allow people to exhibit Jedi-like abilities. Again, a plasma-blade (possibly attainable in our lifetimes, technology is advancing at an incredible rate) wouldn't be a light sabre, but it would look as cool! How could you not want one?!?!

Well loon, what your seeing is simply story telling elements brought around by George Lucas or other authors to fit in with the fantasy descriptions of lightsabers. Jedi's could only build them because they kept that information within their culture (in specific, the act of fabricating the artifical crystals) and did not reveal it to any others. (The sith stole the technology when they were created by cast out or renegade jedi) For real world physics to be involved, you would have to assume that sabers, blaster bolts and other primary destructive forces in SW are comprised of plasma. That means that blasters are examples of the same technology found in sabers, and therefore everyone in star wars has the potential to weild a plasma based weapon.

While jedi arent the only ones who can weild a saber they are the only ones who can do it effectivley without great risk to themselves or others. They use the force to guide their actions like an autonomic response, and slow down their perception of reality, giving them more control than a regular person would have. This is how the jedi depicted in the new trilogy are able to keep such an amazingly fast pace while swordfighting without killing each other immidiatly.

I don't think your magnetic field Idea would produce the same effect as a lightsaber... it would just look similar, but wouldn't cut through a steel door. The energy couldn't be so "bound" or encapsulated. There!

I would want a saber, but would only use it to cut open the occasional Taun-Taun when my friends freeze.

you guys make my head hurt...

:explode:

As long as the plasma could be confined within the shape of a "blade", it would have the ability to cut through a door like that. Believe me, I have a friend who operates a plasma cutter. He can cut through 4 inches of steel with just a tip of plasma. (it disperses because it is not contained with magnetic fields, but submerged under water to decrease the amount of residual heat deterioration on the metal.

Yes, one would assume that metallic objects in the area would either be attracted or reppelled by the forcefields need to contain the plasma, and this is a problem that relates to two things. First, there would be multiple magnetic forces generated, not just a single one.(with my limited knowledge of magnetic fields I know it would need more than one)

The allignment and configuration of the electromganetic force fields would not only need to create a "bubble" to contain the plasma, but be complimentary to each other, so that the fields overlap, the result being that the fields are still there but when brought near metal, the attraction force will be equal to, and working against the repeling force and would not be noticable. It (I know, it gets a little wonky there, but anti-gravity\magnetism theoretics does all the explaing about that, and im sure you dont want me to get into that)

Exar, thanks for the great post you have shared with us.

Forgive me for being so scientific to the open mindedness you have tried to show us!

I do try and keep an open mind, but I won't pass up the opportunity to debate a topic I have curiosities in. Infact, a member of my own family has or had an uncanny ability or two that has boggled my mind.

Some or most of these things can be explained in the natural world, but for every scientific fact there is always a fluke that pokes it's way out and baffles many methods of reasoning.

Archived