Home

Real Sabers (Jedi Academy)

JediSith999

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*bump*

Ok, I know there's another saber thread floating around, but I already ranted in it quite heavily. Hence, my recommendations.

First, if you're considering buying a "saber", ask yourself why you want it and what you plan on doing with it. If you immediately want to "duel" with it, I can save you a lot of money by recommending the Hasbro toys that are available in the stores (Ep. 2 only), or by going to EBay and buying one of the previous Hasbro made toys. 20 bucks is far less than 200 bucks and if you break the Hasbro (though I haven't seen one of the Hasbro ones break) you can easily buy a new one without breaking the bank.

However, if you want one that can be used to round out a costume we're on a different level. If this is the case, you have to ask yourself another question - Do you really want a blade or do you just want a hilt? Here are my recommendations for both:

Sites that sell with lighted blades, in order of preference:

1. parksabers.com - Hand made, very sturdy, and classic trilogy look. They range from $210 to $285 and include all shipping and Mr. Parks stands behind his product with a satisfaction guarantee and a warranty. The only downside is that the 'blades' have capped tips on them, but they're not hard to take off.

2. lightechindustries.com - I'm not exactly sure how these are made except I know they have interchangeable parts. They do not look very professional and cost considerably more ($225 for the cheapest removeable blade one; 325-375 for the rest of them) than Parks Sabers. For costuming, they'd work in a pinch, but I don't think they look that great. If you put a lot of time into making a costume, you want the accessories to look as good as the costume itself, and I'm afraid lightech just isn't it. Look at the pictures on their site yourself - they appear very big and bulky and they appear to be constructed from run of the mill hardware store parts that are poorly altered.

Both lightech and parksabers have detachable blades, EXCEPT for the "T3 Trainer" at lightech.

I do not mention the 'lighted' ones from Master Replicas as they do not have removeable blades, so they wouldn't be good for costuming at all unless you plan on constantly holding your "saber".

---

Ok, that's great and all, but you really don't need a blade, just a good looking hilt for your costume.

Again, in order of preference:

1. Master Replicas. Luke, Yoda and Obi-Wan (Episode 1) all available now. Both Luke's and Obi-Wan's will set you back 299.99, Yoda's will set you back 249.99. Coming soon: Count Dooku, also 299.99.

2. Parks Sabers, Defiance Hilt. Unfortunately, this is the only one you can get without the blade. On the plus side, it only sets you back 80 bucks.

3. Creative Force. (http://creativeforceinc.homestead.com/Home.html) - If you just want a hilt and want the episode 1 simplistic look, Creative Force is for you. They're modestly priced (59.99 - 139.95) for being hand crafted and the husband and wife team that make up the company are very nice. They keep them in stock, for the most part, so when you call and order, you'll usually have it within a week or so.

4. Big Yellow Box - bigyellowbox.tripod.com. This one costs you more than materials - it costs you time and effort. Big Yellow Box has several styles on the site and the complete instructions on how to make any one of them out of parts you can pick up around hardware stores. If made properly, they can look very well done and can have all sorts of nifty electronics attached. This method is for the handyman who likes ubercustomization but doesn't want to spend a lot of cash. A friend of mine has built two so far and, when everything was tallied up, its cost him 30 bucks.

5. Lightech. They want 250 bucks for just the "Lightech SABER (hilt w/no blade)"? Maybe if they looked as good as Master Replicas, it would be worth it. But they're not even close.

If you're a collector and have a TON of cash to blow, there's also lightsaberreplicas.com. From a purely collector's point of view, I'd buy from Master Replicas and Parks Sabers.

Ok, I have imparted my knowledge and opinion so if you're considering buying one, I hope my lines helped. Above all, if you just want something to "duel" with, I implore you to stick with the Hasbro toys. These crafted "sabers" may be able to handle dueling, but they are far too expensive to be used for dueling (As if I'm one to be giving that advice, considering there were many nights where I was drunk and my friends and I would sword fight with the 1200.00 Klingon Bat'leth one of my friends bought... it's a wonder none of us had to go to the hospital).

I think your being a bit harsh on lightec dude, maybe if you had one and it didn't look good in person, then slag it to hell, ok. But when i get mine i will give an honest opinion based on physical evidence. I think the pics can eithe rmake or break things, but only in physical form can you truly judge it. :)

Originally posted by L'Equa Sinar

I think your being a bit harsh on lightec dude, maybe if you had one and it didn't look good in person, then slag it to hell, ok. But when i get mine i will give an honest opinion based on physical evidence. I think the pics can eithe rmake or break things, but only in physical form can you truly judge it. :)

First, and foremost, I'll say: You're right, I don't own one, but that's not to say I've never seen or handled one.

One of the advantages of being a hardcore geek is going to conventions and mingling with other hardcore geeks. I've seen the Viper Defender, the PowerAGE and the T-900 up close and in person; likewise, I've seen some really good homemade creations that blow Parks and Lightech out of the water.

I slag Lightech because their products looked and felt poorly created and the people who had them were constantly trying to buy (or trade) my Echelon off of me. When I told them that they could have gotten that one for less if they had known about Parks Sabers, many of them got quite disappointed. That speaks volumes to me right there.

The reason I posted links to pictures in the other topic is because that's all that can be referenced here. Even if I had one, all I could do is post a picture of it.

Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I haven't seen one. Simply put: Parks is a better value than Lightech (this simply can't be disputed since Lightech is substancially higher), Parks look better than Lightech (my opinion here, could be disputed by anyone, but after having people try to trade me two lightechs for my one piddly Echelon I feel there's some validity behind my opinion), and Parks simply are more durable than Lightech's SnapTite lightsabers (again my opinion, but formed after watching the person trying to trade me their PowerAGE for my Echleon attempt to clip the PowerAGE to their belt only to have the emitter fall off - hilarity ensued).

But it's your call. I posted my opinions and the reasoning behind them. If you want to buy a Lightech, that's no one's business but your own and I wish you much happiness with it.

Every time i hear someone with (what sounds like to me) a valid opinion on this subject with the Parks vs Lightech, Parks sounds more and more the better of the two

As i have already ordered from http://www.buystarwarsstuff.com (Which someone already said were affiliated with Parks) i am becoming happier by the minute, as i was going to order from Lightech (and would have done) if they had replied to my e-mail which i had sent them asking them about their sabers (The fact that BSWS (or Parks) actually replied to their e-mail was the reason i went with them in the first place)

:dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber:

Ah, ok, fair enough, i totally respect your opinion and i do partially agree with it, Lightec are more expensive, but i guess some of the parks ones don't look as good to me as the lightec, all a matter of preference i guess....

I think i will get a parks one day, i should get my lightec on monday now, and i am sure it will be an excellent saber, I also saw some cool plasma ones, the hilt isn't as good as lightec or parks, but the blade does look very nice and they are no way near as expensive, so maybe i would get on of those too, i guess i hope to one day have them all, all of them are very good i am sure and no one will be dissapointed :)

lets just hope everyone gets a good saber and enjoys many hours with it :D

Who gives a flying sod about lightsabers when there is http://www.swordsonline.com

I browsed into this site today and I must say I have never been this amazed at the sheer choice and the beauty of some of the items on display...

Lightsabers really are toys in comparison to the stuff on offer here! And most of it is cheaper too... Also have a look at

http://www.unitedcutlery.com/rae.html

Kit Rae has been my favorite weapon desinger for the last three years. His work is truly amazing! I never thought of looking on the internet for his stuff untill today... I ususally saw his stuff in stores or in catalogues.

Very un Star Wars, I admit, but anyone who was interested in the "real sabers" should definately have a look!

I don't believe you would buy a lightsaber if you weren't interested in Star Wars. Indeed i am amazed by sabers made out of steel but it's just not the same. If I had the opportunity i would by both a lightsaber and a steel saber, but i am not a fan of steel sabers i am a SW fan and this is why i would rather have a Lightsaber then a steel saber. And i believe this goes for many of those who buy lightsabers.

L'Equa Sinar: I am about this close buying a T-900 from lightech.com, i think that lightechs hilts in some way look more professional and well like sabers. But i don't really know right now. Anyway i will have to gather some money first of all.

But i wonder what are the hilts made of. I sent them a mail, but haven't got any answer. I would like to know, before i buy.

Originally posted by UsEr-X-

That is why im not sinar. Are you being SMART with me?

I'm not being smart, i'm just trying to clear up your trash posts that merely consist of

"getting a saber is stupid i wouldnt get one"

"Why do you want a toy like that?"

----

jediSith, i am glad the lightec defender seems quite strong :) How long does the battery last on it? And does it use 1 9V battery or two?

TGW: I like the look of the T-900 but i really really liek the look of the powerage, specially with the Custom HERO Emitter man, that looks sweet :)

Just can't wait till i can buy the Double Extreme, i think thats what its called...The Lightstaff!! :D

I believe all of the lightech designs are nice, maybe except t3 but thats only a training saber anyway.

But what is the costumary blade that you buy with your hilt. Is it an EL blade?? or do you have to specify that when you order?

I actually think the T-3 looks quite good, like the jousting swords of old :)

The blade you get is an EL Blade and when you buy the saber you choose from

Blue

Green

Red

Orange

Yellow

Purple

And i believe one more colour, but i am not 100% sure!!

I am sure the T-3 only comes in Blue, Green & red..

JediSith: Are the lightec blades rounded at the end or flat?

Thanks in advance!

Archived