Home

Real Sabers (Jedi Academy)

JediSith999

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HertogJan
Originally posted by AAFFEE

My viper defender arrived today I got it with a red blade.

Is the red blade cool?? Can you take some pics plz :D I want to compare it to green (yeah I saw the movie...)

Demangel :

... great article !

i have often thought of some of these theories myself, and will someday construct a working lightsaber! (umm..yeah)

You hit upon the most difficult of problems... containing the energy field. a forcefield of some kind... hmm... interesting.

how could this field contain another field, but also allow other matter to pass through it? .... meditate on this, i will.

Man I got my saber on friday just before work, and my only complaints are these:

1: I don't have two.

2: I had to work and couldn't play with it much before work.

3: The batteries only last 45 minutes, and rechargeables don't put out enough power.

The night I got it, I was having so much fun with it I don't mind telling you I feel asleep with it in my hands ROFL. Nearly knocked myself out on it too!

Now for my NO NONSENSE unbiased, EXPERT opinion of the viper defender. well at least the one I got (remember they are hand assembled so some minor differences exist).

the first section is on it's sturdyness:

The blade:

After dueling with it Vs a broomstick I discovered the blade is very sturdy. I wasn't going to duel with it Vs a live edged steel weapon since the blade of the saber would lose big time for sure. However VS other saber like objects even walls and such it is VERy strong and sturdy.

It does bend a bit, and the only time this is troubling is when you might go about simulating a saber lock from JKII:JO for the hell of it. the blades bend a LOt then. However the noticable bend is of very little concern when whacking it with the exception of the vibration it causes upon saber clashes, but the same can be said for real some swords.

Overal I would give the blade a 9 out of a poissible 10, when comparing my expectations Vs what I got. Overal very satisfied!

Hilt:

the hilt is incredible. Very authentic looking, and except for a few minor details it is built like a tank. i would hazard a guess that you could in theory run over the hilt with a car and it would only be scratched and maybe the screws might break. VERY well done! The switch is extremely sturdy, and I doubt it will easily be broken unless it is directly hit by something very hard.

the EL blade emitter/adapter could have been fitted into mine a bit more tightly, however it is strongly secured to the tube that makes up the hilt. thus it makes a minor almost insignifigant rattling sound with or without the blade in it, however seems otherwise fit for duty. again I must repeat this minor detail is NOT really a flaw. in a REAL weapon it might be, but even for heavy sparring this saber will do just fine!

The only flaw mine has was that the LED light on the side, just to the side of the activation switch popped into the handle so that it is kind of loose inside the hilt's tube. i plan on calling litech and asking how I might fix it/get it into position so I can crazy glue it back into place.

However don't think that this in any way effects the sabers look or performance. that little green LED seems to be more of an afterthought and even when it was in wasn't very eye catching so this minor flaw in my saber isn't very noticable. Overal the hilt recieves a nine out of ten for overal durability. again WOW everything I hoped for!

The rubber "O" rings are securely in place, and honestly I would have to REALY try hard to even budge them. they are in little rescesses in the hilt ad are on tight enough so as not to need glue. they also work great as adding to your grip!

Part III: Looks

although this is kind of a case of opinion, I think the saber looks awesome! Overal when lit, and unlit the saber looks very authentic, and truly is eye catching. My friend decided as soon as he saves up the cash he will buy the same one I got with a red blade. thus I say for the money the defender is a perfect saber for the person looking for a mix of looks/functionality at a good price. the starter saber they offer if you ask me can't compare heheh.

I will wear this proudly at the next sci fi convention I go to, and plan on even bringing it to see AOTC hopefully this sunday night heheh.

Part IV: handling

Before I begin i would like to say I haven't played with it VERY much in a dueling manner. I was limited to using it against a 4 foot long broom stick.

I do feel the blade could have been a bit heavier to balance out the hilt, but it Is heavy enough to make it usable and fun!

Getting whacked by it doesn't hurt too much depending on where your whacked and how hard. But overal the saber as a whole handles better than I expected it would.

I give the overal handling in saber duels a 9 out of ten again!

i must admit I can't help but make the saber sounds when I light it up and play with it when no one is looking. and it's just awesome to swing around or even hold and twirl when watching tv on the couch.

Overal assesment:

The overal grade of the Lightech defender is about an A- (as in a school grade). I can imagine better, but it was well worth the money, and is a LOT of fun! It looks cool, and is functional as a sparring saber. although it is not as functional as a Bokken, or possibly a Kendo sword. It is still just right for it's intended use.

I will set up a spot for it near my other weapons, as soon as I get bored of playing with it, or run out of batteries. I have already run to the guy I know who professionaly works with leather to make me a decent looking saber belt (made some cool leather armor of my own design, as well as some other cool stuff of my own design for a good price).

As for pictures, as soon as my little sister gets the bug out of her ass I will make her take pictures of the saber and me with the saber and possibly even make a web page rating the saber and showing it off.

No doubt my next saber will be either a parks or a lightech again. I am happy enough with this lightech product to purchase another saber from them, but parks does look good too. so it's a tough call.

Thank you JediSith for finding and sharing all this info thus far. You rock man.

And don't worry L'Equa Sinar, even if you DO break the saber blade they are easy enough to replace so long as you got a few bucks. the hilt however shouldn't break so long as you don't drop it off a cliff heheh.

to anyone who liked my article I thank you for your good reviews! It means a lot to me to be appreciated in that respect :)

Final thoughts:

The only thing missing from the "working saber experience" thus far is sound effects. you would think parks or lightech would have figured out a way to put sounds in already without going to crazy... Lightech mentions on thier site that they are working on a way to put sound into the hilt, but so far, at least with the defender I dunno where the sound module is gonne go ROFL! The only spot I can see that would make sense is down near the battery, or on the outside somewhere (which might be lame if you ask me, although it would be louder).

However I hope some kind of sound can be put into the saber soon! I myself have figured out a way if I can get the time to make the peices... I would probably go to radio shack or somehting and find a little buzzer that uses very little power (preferably a small watch battery or something) so I wouldn't have to draw power from the 9v. then stick it into the hilt somewhere with the wires ETC.

If anyone has any ideas let me know :)

there is a saber out now which makes sounds... Anni's from epII

there is a demo on the sight...

http://www.masterreplicas.com/StarWars/productsanakinfxsaber.asp?sid=

pretty cool, but the only problem with it is that it has a fixed blade.

with all the one's i've seen, i feel the absolute best one's out there right now are here...

http://www.darthsworkshop.fsnet.co.uk/SW_EL_index.htm

(this link was posted above)

they are too expensive, but if and when i have the extra cash, these are the sabers to beat.

Hmm, none of these neat little well-made saber replicas will gain any interest with me until:

The blades are atleast 1 inch wide (theyre basically all .75 inch as of yet, yes?)

The blades have a smooth tapered, and rounded tip

The blades are all atleast 1 meter long (except for the "economy" models)

They don't bend from simple swinging (but are soft enough not to crack on impact with another saber).

They have full contact and other sound effects (since even the toy hasbro ones already have this).

And finally, I think they should use high powered bulbs from things like SureFire flashlights, possibly with lithium batteries to acheive maximum brightness, and high voltage.

But you know what would be the best thing of all? If they could put those really nice plasma sabers into tubes that are PLASTIC instead of glass so they are durable enough to sword fight with! That, combined with a wide blade, machined and metal and fully detailed (and preferably canonical) sword hilts would make the ULTIMATE lightsaber prop/toy! Ofcourse making custom plastic plasma tubes would probably cost alot (if it can be done at all, since they would have the durability and fightability of plastic swords with the looks and extension looks of the plasma sabers...).

So here is my ultimate idea for a toy lightsaber:

1. Metal, 100% genuine looking (and preferably canonical) sword hilt

2. Blade of decent length and width (about 1 inch wide and 1 meter long)

3. Plasma-based lighting system

4. 2-layer plastic blade for extra dueling strength

5. Gradual "extension" of blade as seen in plasma sabers

6. Durability of EL sabers

7. Sound effects of Hasbro toy lightsabers (but even higher qualility)

All for a retail price of probably 800+ dollars... Lol...

But I'd be pretty happy with them if they atleast had 1 inch wide blades! And if they could just get the blue right...

And I can't beleive no one has made a model of Kyle Katarn's saber, its better and more effecient looking than most of the sabers you see in the movies (it looks like you could actually hold it well!)! Sure, its not canonical but its purty!

"But you know what would be the best thing of all? If they could put those really nice plasma sabers into tubes that are PLASTIC instead of glass so they are durable enough to sword fight with! That, combined with a wide blade, machined and metal and fully detailed (and preferably canonical) sword hilts would make the ULTIMATE lightsaber prop/toy! Ofcourse making custom plastic plasma tubes would probably cost alot (if it can be done at all, since they would have the durability and fightability of plastic swords with the looks and extension looks of the plasma sabers...). "

I have seen on this site which I will post in a moment a saber blade similar to this. from the looks and description of it, it is ALMOST (but not quite) as strong as an EL blade, but very expensive by comparison, and probably requires MUCH more power to be used (though one Isaw draws about 5 volts I think). It does however look incredibly cool as all f'ing hell. to be honest if you want to go for looks and not functionality (Ie just an arnament with little or no dueling). these saber blades look almost entirely authentic. from the glow to the light up effect!

however for the money, I would still buy a lightech or parks until the technology comes to make plasma ones cheaper and safer for dueling.

The link for these saber baldes can be found here:

http://www.amazing1.com/plasma.htm

And here:

http://www.futurehorizons.net/saber.htm

Just thought i would pop on and say hello to everyone who ha got thier saber and hope you are enjoying them, me? Well, i accidentally broke my dad's lightshade in my mum & dads room with my saber today, lol, so much for trying Obi-Wans' episode 1 saber spin! lol

yeah considering I'm 25 years old and the new movie came out, I feel a little self conscious bringing the saber outside to practice like I do with my real weapons LOL.

I figure after the AOTC hype has died down a bit I will do it heheh... however so far I have done the following:

Scratched the ceiling.

Almost broke a $3,000 vase (was drunk).

replaced my remote control with the saber since it's more fun to change the channels by poking the buttons with the tip.

And finaly, I have scared the FUK out of my cat Tuna about 99 times in the past three days.

the best was when I was drunk and knocked a 3 litre bottle of soda onto the ground next to her while she was sleeping, which exploded in a loud hissing frothy splash. She must have crapped seven shades of $hit when she shot into the sky and I swear to god came about an inch away from hitting the ceiling. then landed and took off like the crap monster was nipping at her heals (if you have long hair you might know what I am talking about. sometimes a cat will accidentaly eat your hair, and when they **** the hair gets mixed into it, and it sometimes trails behind them scaring the fuk out of them).

Anyway just so you know I love my cat to death... but to be honest there are only a few things as funny as scaring the hell out of your cat... but odly only when it's an accident is it really funny.

:freakout:

Amen Brova... *wobbles around with a lightsaber clutched clumsily in one hand and a bottle of bocardi 151 in the other Like a bum holding a beer and a broom stick*

*hic* yeh now I aways shwanted to try thish... *fumbles in his pockets for a cigarret which he then proceeds to light off the blade of his saber...)

Ahh tats the shtuffff... Anywhey... You can aways fite beta wen yo DruNkkkk... *falls over sideways, accidentally slashing a beam holding up half the house in the process, sending the roof down onto the floor, inches away from the cat who has a coronary and runs at warp 5 into the wall knocking all the sense out of her little kitty mind*

u guys write a LOT - did u know that? it took me two and a half hours to read all these pages u wrote - but what i wanted most wasnt there: PICS

come on guys, no offense but send some pics of the sabers! i'm sure that from all the handfull of u who bought a saber one can send a pic, right? (exept for the guy with the sister and the bug up her @ss...... sorry m8, didn't get that one....:atat: )

anywayz, what i'd like to know from the pics(or if u'll be kind enough to tell me) is how does it look in day-light - the blade that is cuz i'm planning to go to purim with it(kinda like hollowin - forgive me for any spelling mistakes) - i've already got a friend who painted me face like Darth Maul's once (the spikes we made didnt look really good-used a hair net or something like that...)

10x alot sith99999999999999 for startin such a thread along with all the others who wrote and added such info:lsduel:

:lsduel: :lsduel: :lsduel: :lsduel: :lsduel: :lsduel: :lsduel: :lsduel:

Argh noooooooooooooo :(

E-mailed BuyStarWarsStuff to see how the orders were coming along since i ordered in April, and i was expecting to recieve the saber within another 2 weeks or so, and i got this back from them...

The latest news we have is that we are in peak lightsaber season. In fact on all orders now the wait time is 5-10 weeks.

/me crys :(

:dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber: :dsaber:

where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???

where did u post the pictures jedisith?

where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???where where where???

*D_S_W fell asleep while leaving his hand on the ctrl+v keys*

:trooper: hay! you there!

:trooper: hay! thats MY line!

:mob: ahhhhhh!!!

i'm waiting for a GO from my friends so i can order us three viper(lightt.) or three rouge(parks) in red, green, blue

- you can imagine what we will do with them(im RED!!!! HAHAHA)

Archived