Home

balancing power

Sgt.BF

k, love the idea of this mod, guys, personally i think jedi don't have a place here, but that's not the issue in this thread. Actually, I have an idea!

Why not make the 2 sides, totally, and undisguisedly unbalanced? if you follow the background material etc, they really should be. The imperials have far more technology/sophisticated weapons and equipment at their disposal. they are an empire, after all. For example, stormtroopers wear armour, rebels dont. anything but a direct chest shot is likely to just get deflected (headshots are out, seen the size of those helmets?). Stormtroopers get the eweb, target analysing goggles, whatever, but they should have better equipment by far.

Okay, you probably all think I'm mad, you can't make a game that unbalanced! I for one, always prefer playing the underdog (always chose the losing team when joining a cs game etc.), and it would kicka ass being a rebel and knowing all the odds are against you.

Ive been thinking about this a little and have got some other ideas, in no particular order:

Stormtroopers have restricted vision (except for officers)

Stormtroopers made out of the bottom half of the score table (they can never hit anything anyway, would make for skill vs equipment games)

Probability vs hit point death system (get hit, die with p=0.8 or something, depending on armour & weapon)

Blasters have varying settings, rapid (default), slightly accurate, stun (big blue circles!) etc.

Lots of smoke! in the OT, whenever there were big blaster battles, they used loads of dry ice (gave it a cool B-movie feel), so how about smoke from each blaster impact, slowly building up and getting everywhere (k, processor heavy, i know...)

Off hand grenades, just makes sense, you don't put ur gun away to throw grenades!

Death by blaster impact. Can you do some sort of painskin, making a big chared mark on the armour where shots hit? even if they don't kill? with a little flickering flame (and more smoke!) as the guy goes down. Would look SO cool.

Deployment sequences. If you have round based games ala cs or dod, then why not have the players wait in a dropship, flying on its way to the scene, rather than just floating around on spectator.

Weapons more in the vain of blasters etc than rocket launchers/sniper rifles/funny shrapnel guns and NO wookie crossbow (what were they thinking?)

er.. had some more, may remember them at some point...

anyway, anybody even remotely agree with me?

I think you're idea could easily work.

Since the maps are objective based (and not deathmatch) just make the victory conditions favour the rebels.

For example, let's say the Imperials are invading the Hoth base. They have to capture the V.I.P. before he/she is able to escape. Simply adjust the time limit and or base layout (easily done in beta testing) until it's about 50/50.

hmm... don't reckon the final odds should be 50-50, more like 35-65, after map layout etc is taken into account. Make it so the rebels have to play REALLY well to win. Hence bigger achievement when they win, hence people will still want to play as them

Archived