Home

The Whiners Guide To JK2

NewBJedi

Was This Guide Helpful?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Was This Guide Helpful?

• Yah, it was great!
    • No, it didn\'t! I\'m still a whiner!
    • Somewhat, but calling people whiners is very rude!

Now if I had written an "The Anti-Whining About Whiners guide to JK2", then that would be some great irony :)

Alas I have not, so it can hardly be called irony. Nor whining either, just a simple observation. He who had written the anti-whining guide has become what he professed to be against.

TDS

Originally posted by TheDarkSide

Now if I had written an "The Anti-Whining About Whiners guide to JK2", then that would be some great irony :)

Alas I have not, so it can hardly be called irony. Nor whining either, just a simple observation. He who had written the anti-whining guide has become what he professed to be against.

TDS

I keep telling myself I won't be posting anymore, but I must defend myself here.

The intent of the Whiner's Guide was to show people that most of 1.02 was just fine - and to stop people's whines otherwise we'd get drastic gameplay changes that would hurt the community - if you notice a theme in my past posts, it was a warning against what happened in Tribes 2.

But sure enough, the Whiner's won and now 1.03 has done its damage. The problems like the backstab and nerfed force balance, nerfed kick, and weapon issues in 1.03 far exceed 1.02's avoidable DFA problem.

Instead of nerfing forces so badly to the point of uselessness the 'Whiner's" could have read in this guide how to sort by "g_maxforcerank" and problem solved - anti-weapons, filter for non-weapon servers, etc, etc.

I have to agree the darkside got hosed big time.... ya drain needed to be tweeked....but there was nothing wrong with grip. They ruined grip totally and pumped up absorb, like that needed pumping? Not. And I hear ppl cry that when they used absorb ppl would get away till it wore off. Well they do the same for rage but do you see rage getting a boost? No. And them nerfing heal is just plain funny. Unless you play duel games you don't need heal. Why, because there is enough health and bacta around. So all they did was make the light side strong and made everyone on the dark side use lightning, pull and push. I have even changed my saved force option to not even have grip now. That was my favorite power too. All I use now 90% of time is pull.... and If they have absorb on well I am down to the sabre because they crippled drain that was the only thing stopping the absorb freaks. Drain needed to be fixxed but not when they masked absorb. I also read in one thread well you don't know when a lightning, drain, grip attack is coming.......so thats a good idea for absorb. BULL... anytime those powers are used you can clearly see that they are in use and by whom. Ya they may do alittle damage or drain to you the first 2 seconds but guess what.... you will gain at least 2 seconds of absorb on them also when you switch it on before they know to stop.

WOW and you didn't even mention the thing people whine about most. GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I have no problem with guns and I think most no gun servers are for complete pus$ies it's still probably worth mentioning in your writeup.

(oh w8 never mind, you did a little :))

ALSO I am having a problem (and I have seen this problem on another computer) where the game runs fine in multiplayer and everything, but occasionally it stalls/freezes and you keep hearing the same sound over and over again. This usually happens when I die or kill someone else but less often than it just running smoothly. I have updated sound and graphics drives btw (Turtle beach santa cruz, nvidia GeForce 2). PLEASE HELP

THANKS

ALSO: THE NEW PATCH TOTALLY SUCKS

MIND TRICK STILL SUCKS

DRAIN IS SOOOOOOO FREAKING RETARDED NOW (WHA WHAAAA WHAAAA DRAIN IS TOO POWERFULL developers"STOP SAYING THAT STOP IT DAMMIT DRAIN = 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 there that should satisfy em!"

Once force absorb is activated it should take away force remain for a set amount of time and force will continue to regenerate. (there are many variables here so please dont say that would be too powerfull without reason).

Grip was fine, nothing wrong there!

LEVEL 3 MIND TRICK is supposed to work on everyone and it should work on players who have spawned AFTER it was cast as well. CMON people spawn every second.

I think with these suggestions the game can be more balanced and more powers will be worth it as well as fun to use.

light side was too weak...dark side was too strong. now there's more balance to the force :p

as for "whiners," they're in every game i've ever played. it's just their way of lettin' out frustration, and i just ignore them. cope as best you can and stop WHINING 'bout it ... rofl

• 1 month later...

This is what I posted in another thread, and PLZ read all of it before you start making opinions on my system, because I already know the CPU is crap:

"OMFG I have the same problem--Jedi Knight II runs slow as a b!tch.

OK now let me explain a few things before someone tries to tell me I need a better CPU.

I KNOW I NEED A BETTER CPU; BUT, I get like 80 FPS in Quake III. I have 384 MB of memory, a 7200 RPM CPU, GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB version, and sadly a 500 MHz AMD Athlon (classic). and my lame Mobo runs agp at 2x.

I realize the CPU and Mobo are limiting my system--but this is ridiculous--I try turning down EVERYTHING in the game, but it runs slow as a b!tch in large areas, like 10 FPS, and it doesn't matter if all effects are on or if absolutely nothing is on and my vid card is set to max performance in OpenGL.

OMG this is such a pain in the @ss, and I don't think this game has any kind of Hidden Surface Removal--as I could stand looking at a FLAT wall in 1st-person, with nothing but my gun showing up and still only get around 12 FPS, that doesn't make any sense.

I mean you can tell the game is rendering like the whole freakin map instead of what you can see, I don't understand why they did this.

Ah, hell, I still get around 30 FPS in decent sized indoor areas when there aren't 20-something guys trying to kill me.

I still don't get it, it's made off of the Quake III engine and I can't get anywhere near that performance even when every single thing is off--I mean the game can look like DF2:Jedi Knight and still run at the exact same fps, and I am NOT MAKING THAT UP!"

THANK U

Originally posted by NewBJedi

The 1.03 patch sucks! :ball:

Congratulations - you can thank all the whiners who didn't read the guide and take advice from skilled players!

I hereby now call 1.03 "The Official Whiner's Patch".

Err...

Heh, You've gotta see the irony in whining about a supposed whiner patch, no?

Now the game is completely lopsided toward random auto-saber-defenses, super hack attack sabering, and ultra-light force absorb.

Now instead of DFA you have the - even worse - spinning backstab people.

Drain, Grip, Kick have all been nerfed to oblivion.

Now without a good force drain you're having major lightening attacks along with other super-jedi in absorb force power's and their back-stabbing spams.

Grip is about as useful and fun to defend against as shadow boxing.

Kicks are not even worth trying anymore (50% hit ratio if you're really lucky) - and they used to be the only way to truly defend oneself against overwhelming odds - plus they were just darn fun.

Forget about using dark force powers, you're nothing if you don't have the uber light absorb that makes you a superman.

1.03 is JK2 meets Nintendo!

Thank you whiner's of 1.02 - instead of reading the Whiner's Guide and learning to actually play - you ruined the game for those who have skill!

Thanks guys!

Err...

Heh, You've gotta see the irony in whining about a supposed whiner patch, no?

dark force powers are quite useful, just not the same ones, drain isn't much good except for healing, grip is useless, but lightning and dark rage are good, nay, really really good, even. Dark rage is the only skill in the game that will let you take out an absorb using gunner with just your saber.

Also, with dfa, lets examine that, in 1.02 the radius for the damage of this move was very high, you could get killed by it post execution at a long range even when the plasma was embedded in the tarmac. This was a bug, this did need fixing, how many times did you see someone doing a dfa and then pressing their binded cl_yawspeed 2000 ; +left ; wait 200 ; -left key through a pack of players and decimating everyone, how was that not lame? Furthermore, if you can alter the aim for dfa in the air, there's no way to punish it except with a rolling push / pull (if you're lucky) or saber throw or other ranged attack. DFA is a one hit kill move and the risk in pulling it off should be substantial.

Kicks, Kicks are fine now, I don't understand why people are complaining at all, I have had absolutely no trouble whatsoever executing kicks since the patch and I kick a lot, in fact, since the patch, I prefer kicks. Because I'm not wallrunning off surfaces accidentally all the time.

as for backsweep, it was exactly the same in 1.02 as it is in 1.03, it's just that people could use super DFA so they never bothered to really investigate it, you can roll + pull backsweep or kick + pull + saber throw + spin + backsweep to your hearts content and take out various skill level players, but it's *counterable* and punishable this time, unlike with dfa in 1.02

I.E. Some guy pulls me over and tries to sweep me, I dark rage, get back up before the recovery period of the BS, then execute my own BS with a damage boost and temporary immortallity.

That person doesn't try to pull me over and sweep me again. ;)

Seriously It does seem that a lot of stuff in 1.03 has been made useless, a person would have to be absolutely crazy to run forward with a standard strike and attack you without absorb running which does take a lot of options out for dark force users, but it is by no means a "lost cause".

I don't understand your beef with lightning, either, if you're a light jedi, absorb, suck it up, let them spew forth useless garbage, if you're a dark jedi, rollf orward at them, pull them down, finish them off. Lightning is good imho for 2 things, faking them into absorbing or attacking without thinking, or finishing someone off after a lengthy battle when you know they have not much health or force power left.

Absorb, absorb is really not that great, a person can stick it on, you can hear it, they're immune to force powers for the duration only, that means they're still susceptible to kicks, and if you're a dark jedi, they're sitting there waiting for you to give them force, and you're sitting their just gaining force, when absorb runs out they're toast.

My recommendations for patch 1.04 would be to reduce the damage for backsweep, increase the recovery time and disable spinning whilst executing it, absorb should be left as is, drain should be left as is, lightning should be left as is, maybe grip needs to be made actually useful for something, rather than a way to make a cool red hand puppet and stick a sign on your forehead saying "please force pull me I want to die". Make blocking more active and less passive so that we escape the current situation of absolutely useless standard attacks.

Anyway, my verdict is, better than 1.02, but needs work.

Cheers

Etherael.

Well this "Guide" contains some useful info BUT (there's always a but)... BUT it also contains some incorrect info and a great deal of prejudiced info. Both would be forgivable if it didn't also smack of being written by an arrogant sniveling little snot. (Spare me the comments about that statement ok I'm sure I'm old enough to be his father, so it won't play here anyhow.)

A. Just because someone posts a message saying "I'm having this problem..." does NOT make them a whiner. A whiner is someone who goes on and on about how bad or unfair the product is or the company or blah blah blah. They are dissatisfied and "take it out here". ie ... I contacted tech support and they didn't help me fix ... and they suck and..."

B. The author makes too many "blanket" statements that in fact may or may not fix someones problem or even be true!

Here are some examples:

Installing XP instead of Win 98 may in fact increase your problems not reduce them (no I'm not a mac or linux officianado). Factors that might affect this are what hardware and software you have and whether you are upgrading from win98 or doing a new install.

Example:

I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into when I upgraded my 1.5 year old system last October and still I had all the following problems.

1. Epson scanner - not supported - had to give it away.

2. Had to replace all the following programs with newer versions OR different products because they were incompatible:

Veritas backup Exec Desktop Pro., Easy CD Creator 4.x, Exceed 6.1, McAfee Virus scan, Recoil (no replacement).

(I know I'm missing two more but can't remember...)

3. SB Live 5.1 card had sound problems ( 98% resolved now but took weeks of research and trial and error testing). This was the only "problem" that I didn't know about in advance and it has proven to be the most irritating.

Not in this list were 1-2 dozen small utilities freeware/shareware).

-----------

The current nVidia drivers back in April were 29.xx not 27.42.

At this moment they are 29.42.

-----------

Sound Blaster sound cards (I have a sb live 5.1) are NOT the be-all and end-all of sound cards as the author thinks. In fact, the SB Live 5.1 series are NOT 100% compatible with WinXP (even after the driver update). Spend even a small amount of time at the Creative forums and you will know what I mean. Furthermore they req. a slightly higher i/o bandwidth, requiring more clock cycles on the pci bus than some other brands, this based on places like Sharkeys, Toms Hardware and pc mag benchmarks. This is "one" of the MANY reasons users with WinXP, SB sound cards and via kt-133 chipsets have more problems than users with other hardware combos. Creatives drivers have also been implicated to some degree but I have no way to verify this. As always company A blames company B... B blames A, etc. etc.

(...and yes, I did install the WinXP compatability SB sound drivers from creative which they so generously wrote 6-8 weeks AFTER the official release of WinXP even though MS had been releasing developer info on XP to vendors for nearly a year before the release). Of course the official creative position is that the card is 100% compatable with the native XP drivers but what they don't say is the card is no better than a awe64 in that mode because it has no tools, no surround sound (ie 5.1, eax etc.).

Now that last paragraph was an example of whining, hope you see the difference.

Fyi: On my daughters winXP pc, her sound problems cleared up after I installed a turtle beach Santa Cruz sound card (NO I am NOT suggesting you do the same just stating a fact).

I am NOT saying SB cards are bad or someone elses card is better. I own one and will probably buy another eventually.

The point is a SB card may not solve your sound problems so if you want to "get a real sound card", do your research homework before buying.

Note: I know little about the new audigy card except that you can now buy one for less than I paid for my sb live 5.1.

-----------

As far as "get an nVidia card for compatability is concerned... since when should I have to pick my game then buy the hardware to run it. It is supposed to work the other way around.

If a mfg says you need open GL 1.1+ or directX 8.x+ to display properly, and that is what you have, then you should not have to replace your hardware when things don't work. It is their responsibility to refund or fix.

Note: I have a VisionTek GF4 ti 4400 128mg card so this is not sour grapes and in fact the game exibits one graphics anomoly that I'm presently researching even with that card.

SO, again, nVidia is not necessarily the answer here.

----------

Summary:

NewBJedi had an opportunity to create a really great guide here but he watered it down with his own mfg prejudices and insults to the very people he should have been helping.

There is a world of difference between... "you can do even better if you..." or "I recommend that..." as opposed to "you suck and so does your pc - fix it - buy this - if you were as good as me you wouldn't be having these problems"

jd

I didn't say that 98 was better than Winxp IT IS NOT!

I have XP on all my computers at home (laptop excepted)

and I'm trying to get rid of 2000 at work and get it there too.

My point was on all the stuff I said. . .

The author spoke authoritatively and condescendingly

and the solutions he put forth (including upgrading to XP from

98) were NOT necessarily going to solve someones problem.

If you are going to tell people to "do this" and you won't be having these problems, then "this" had better be something that

works amd doesn't create more headaches.

On the Via thing that is moot.

Via swears that the problem is that Mother board mfg's

improperly set certain registers in the chipset in the bios code

in order to tweak performance of their mobo.

They may be lying, or they may be telling the truth.

I have the kt133 in my Abit kt7-raid board and I haven't had

any of the problems I've read about. Even my former sound problem was a Creative SB LIve 5.1 vs. MS WinXP issue.

Regardless, if you have an AMD Cpu try and buy a decent

motherboard that does NOT have a via chipset. . .

FYI: I am NOT a fan, affiliate, or stock owner of Via.

jd

There is a fine line between arrogance and confidence.

Yes, I am NewBJedi, if you haven't figured it out already.

As the guide continues, the patch turns, or the whiner's whine ...

I don't like the Saber Damage, and Force Powers in 1.04!!! :ball:

It's up to YOU and the server admins to make the set

things better:

Saber efficiency, blocking, and damage:

seta g_saberghoul2collision 1 - Stop Lunge Spam.

seta g_sabertracesaberfirst 0 - Less Saber Blocking.

seta g_saberdamagescale 4 - Saber Damage x 2 (Default 1)

- I suggest you experiment with damagescale.

You can adjust the force regeneration:

seta g_forceregentime 100 - Force Regeneration Doubled (default 200).

- 100 makes it more like 1.02

I've gotten lag and I'm using a DSL or Cable connection!!! :ball:

Set Your Rate:

1. Join the server.

2. Hit the key "Shift" and "~" at the same time - this toggles the console.

3. Type the following "rate 10000" (four zeros) without the quotes (press the enter key).

4. You should get lag-free gaming.

5. If not, you need to fix your connection or get on a faster server.

Everyone else is seeing dismemberment but me!!! :ball:

Turn On Dismemberment:

1. Join the server.

2. Hit the key "Shift" and "~" at the same time - this toggles the console.

3. Type the following "/cg_dismember 300" without the quotes (press the enter key).

4. Play the game - you should see body dismemberment.

Some say you should use 2 instead of 300 - whatever, 300 works.

Like I said in my thread (hardly anyone's even looked at it:( ), anyways...

If you don't like what these spammers are doing (causing you to 'whine'), then just don't play with them. Play with people who like to play the same way you do, like on a private server or something...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello my friends. I am a newbie... But I don´t whine very often. You people say that we whine and complaint, yes we do. But things wouldn´t get any better if we didn´t. I like it where you said that you should help us insted of just "killing" us. But on the other hand, that´s not your job. I would be thankful if I got the help but it´s not important. I can start my own MP and start killing "bots" ´till I´m good at it!!!

heh.. got a little sidesteped there..

Anyway.. all I wanted to say was

kill us, help us, ignore us. But don´t bully us!?

:):D:)

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived