Home

Segmentation fault

My JK2 dedicated servers are running on a FreeBSD machine, and every now and then one of them crashes, with a "Segmentation fault" error, leaving an interesting "coredump".

Is this due to some bug in JK2ded or is it that my server is overheating (it's in a closet) ?

Anyone else with the same problem?

I have been getting segmentation faults errors after the jedi dedicated server (linux) has been running for a couple of days....

a simple restart of the jedi server, and its all back to normal again, it seems like there is a bug somewhere.

-r00t3d

The seg fault errors have been a plague since the very beginning. If you're running a ded server version prior to 1.02c, then you are open to the same crash vulnerability that existed in Q3 1.29f/g and someone could be intentionally crashing your server. However, even with 1.02c there's still plenty of seg faults to go around. The best thing to do is have an auto-restart script of some kind running to restart the server when it crashes. Mine crashes at least 1-2 times a day--sometimes more often.

I use a combination of 3 scripts to set this up, which isn't necessay, but I use it. ;)

startjk2 -- I use ./startjk2 to run the server

#!/bin/csh

echo -n "Starting - "

date "+%D %H:%M:%S"

cd /usr/local/games/jk2

screen -d -m ./holdjk2

holdjk2 -- This is what really restarts the server

#!/bin/csh

echo Ok

while 1

date "+%D %H:%M:%S" >> /tmp/jk2_start.log

echo "JK2 Server Started." >> /tmp/jk2_start.log

sh startup.sh

date "+%D %H:%M:%S" >> /tmp/jk2_start.log

echo "JK2 Server crashed, Restarting." >> /tmp/jk2_start.log

sleep 5

end

startup.sh -- This is just my command line

#!/bin/sh

./jk2ded +set dedicated 2 +set vm_game 2 +set ttycon 0 +set com_hunkMegs 128 +set com_zoneMegs 24 +exec server.cfg

It creates a log which lets you know when the server crashed and restarted in /tmp. I'm working on a bit more sophisticated version which will ping the master server and log the stderr so more data can be collected about just WHY the darn thing dies so often. My RtCW server has run for over a month without a single crash--not one.

• 11 years later...

Archived