Home

grimovie.exe

stumpy

zup. hi. i'm tring to find a copy of the grim fandango movietrailer(grimovie.exe). trying to do some work on the smush movie player but i lost my old copy.(sort of a crash'n burn situation) and now i can't seem to find one anywhere. well i saw Serge mentioning working on it on the SCUMMRev site and thought; "He would have a copy, wouldn't he?). So if you do, could you possibly make it available on the site or something?:)

Thanks for that, Meta :) I lost the trailer myself some years back. Someone found it for me on some obscure site. Went looking for that site again, since I don't have any ftp space on Mojo yet (if Mojo even has an ftp server yet after the move :p), and wouldn't want to burden the http server with a 30MB download.

- Serge

If you mean that it plays IMMENSELY fast, that's due to the old SMUSH bug that's also evident in CMI when running on XP. To fix that, run dxdiag and set your DirectSound accelleration to Basic Accelleration. If it just doesn't work at all, (I haven't tried downloading that file), any chance I could get FTP space on Mojo, Metallus? Then I'll upload my version, which I KNOW works :) (well, other than the SMUSH bug).

- Serge

I had to go to my great uncle's wake this afternoon, so I posted it in a rush.

I just downloaded, uploaded, and posted. The ZIP is bad. I tried to redownload it three times, two regular, and one with getright, and it didn't work.

Sorry about that, I'll see if I can find a good copy, and actually test it this time.

yep. i downed that zip too. tried every repair util i could find. that zip is totally f***ed. great if you could find a way to get your copy up somewhere serge. tried scummrev3 today. bkgrndripping in gf works like a charm :D

Can't believe no Grim pages (or anyone else) have it anymore. If nothing else, the music is great, and it's a great look into the CMI version of SMUSH (as far as I recall, it's pretty much the same SMUSH version as that one) without having to dig through all the other stuff in COMI.EXE :) Also, you might find a patch for the sound bug under XP that causes CMI/GF trailer videos to run at top speed all the way through :) (without changing DirectSound accelleration).

- Serge

Serge, we've been looking for this for years. I think the site(s) that had it must have died, and the remaining ones have been searching ever since. I'm currently eating MetaFox's bandwidth downloading it for myself (again).

well, I'm just about ready to kill someone.. just fiished downing serges version and i'm getting crc errors when trying to decompress it. is it just me or does anyone else have the same problem? if it works in your end could you post it uncompressed so I can download it like that? blah. I'm about to cry:(

The zip file is just screwed up. If it's what I think it is, this is the corrupted file that's been floating around the net for years since Cnet took it off Download.com.

The trouble is, very few people seem to have the trailer (I'm one of them :D ) and the damn thing weighs in at nearly 60 megabytes. What would be really helpful if it could be captured and turned into something sensible like a nice, tiny DiVX or Sorenson 3 file. But I don't have the hardware for that kind of thing (or the know-how, but that never stopped me before).

If you'd bothered reading the tread you'd see this is a different one. One that's supposed to work. and it does kinda. but the movies screwed up in the end. i managed to extract it now, but it's missing a chunk of the film. sh**'!

The file at MetaFox's site is indeed corrupted. I just compared it to the version I sent to him and about 65K of the .zip (in one big chunk) are just plain wrong. Which doesn't make sense. If it had been due to the server treating it as an ASCII file and thus doing ASCII conversion, the errors would have been all over the file.

Anyway, I've gotten permission from Mojo to upload it TEMPORARILY to the scummrev page. Doing that now, should be done in about 30 minutes (yes, my upstream is low) :) I'll let you know when it's done, where to find it, and download it myself to check if it works.

- Serge

Anyway, since part of the SCUMMBag project involves figuring out the CMI SMUSH format, I might do a DivX encode of it sometime to make it easier to distribute it on the web. No idea when I'll have it worked out, though ;)

- Serge

http://scummrev.mixnmojo.com/download/Grimovie.zip

There ya go. Be sure it's with a capital G in Grimovie. And don't link to this from somewhere else. If you have space for it somewhere, put it up there. I'll remove it as soon as I get confirmation from Metallus and stumpy that they got it - or within the next 3 days. Downloading it myself now, just to test (and kill Mojo's bandwidth :p)

- Serge

I decided to download it one last time before I go to bed after reading what serge said about the server screwing up the packets.

It worked the second time too so hopefully it will work for good now. If not, I'll just serve my website off my computer. ZTNet is supposably a reliable host, but I'm beginning to get my doubts.

Metallus, did you download the file from my site after the reupload? If so, did you get CRC errors or did it just fail to load?

I'm off to bed, I'm going to try to download it again in the morning and see what happens.

Archived