Home

grimovie.exe

stumpy

The plot thickens...

I downloaded the file from Mojo, did a filecompare of my two .zips. They were identical. I ran the .exe, it ran fine. However, when I tried running it by doubleclicking inside WinZip, it gave me a black screen and I had to reboot to get away from it :p . If this is what you did too, be sure to just decompress it and run it directly from Windows, rather than from WinZip.

- Serge

That the .exe is an isolated SMUSH player isn't the only thing that's great about it, I just found...

When LEC released it, they also forgot to remove the debugging info from it. So, with the right disassembler, every single function and variable is named. No more looking through the function to find out what it does ;)

So, SMUSH decoding isn't so far away as I first thought :cool:

- Serge

Damn. I have no idea :p. Might just have been a coincidence that it worked when I ran it from Windows and didn't when I ran it from WinZip. Still, it's run fine for the past month whenever I tried it. Hmm... Maybe try setting your display to 640x480x8 bit (as far as I recall, the trailer is in 8 bit color depth).

- Serge

First thing to find out was that the video wasn't 640x480x8 but rather 640x480x16 - like the game ;)

As for you, poor Metallus, I still have no idea :p

As for SMUSH decoding, it'll still take a long time... I have a compiler, a decompiler, an entire integrated development environment, an audio player and a game engine to work on already - some of them are also far off into the future, though. Who knows.

- Serge

Have either of you tried running it with DirectSound accelleration set to Basic Accelleration? (type "dxdiag" in Start/Run to get to DirectX Diagnostics). Since the GF Trailer SMUSH player is very similar to the CMI Game ditto, it may also exhibit the same problems (crashes, sped-up playback, stuttering...).

- Serge

Originally posted by Serge

That the .exe is an isolated SMUSH player isn't the only thing that's great about it, I just found...

When LEC released it, they also forgot to remove the debugging info from it. So, with the right disassembler, every single function and variable is named. No more looking through the function to find out what it does ;)

So, SMUSH decoding isn't so far away as I first thought :cool:

- Serge

Debug info! Cool! When I first disassembled the grimovie.exe I stripped the exe code from the Smush data at the end and forgot to include the debug stuff...

Now let's have a look at the Smush stuff... :)

Originally posted by Serge

So you ARE still doing SCUMM stuff, Ben... :)

We ought to start working together again then. ;)

- Serge

Of course I am... :) Not as much as when I was still in school but from time to time I do some SCUMM stuff...

However, recently I'm working on something like ScummRev but for the Broken Sword & Discworld games. Maybe I can put this in the tool I'm hallucinating of, that one that will open LEC-bundles and display every file in them (I think with the background graphics from GF&MI4 decodable I should take a look at GF's 3do again. There wasn't missing so much information to make a viewer, after all).

Archived