Home

Altering MI1 to run better in Windows

Warlockuk

Has anyone ever taken the resource files of Monkey Island 1 + 2 and made them run on a newer SCUMM engine? (Or updated something to make it run better in Windows).

What I'm basically after is a way to play the game with a direct-x driver or something. I've got an Audigy Platinum eX soundcard and 'cos I'm on XP I'm using the WDM drivers instead of the VXD drivers which means no SB16 emulation for me (and the Roland playback is a bit odd in places), so I'd like to play it using directsound or something for the sound...

...anyone?

W

This is yet another tricky issue... The different versions of SPUTM (the SCUMM presentation utility) have LOTS of differences between the different major versions. To sum those up:

MI1 disk versions: 4

MI1 CDROM versions: 5

MI2: 5

CMI (only Windows-based SPUTM): 8

To get DirectSound support with an original SPUTM engine thus requires use of the CMI engine. That one is so different that a simple patch won't do the trick.

If you want the reasons, read on, if you just want some kind of solution look at the bottom.

1. The graphics need to be scaled up to double size (and either changed in aspect ratio with interpolation or have 80 lines added to the bottom, since we're going from 320x200 to 640x480).

2. The scripts need MAJOR changes. The CMI script interpreter is totally different from the MI1/MI2 interpreters. This includes different compiled code, different variable sizes etc. Not only that, but a lot of scripts would have to be actually rewritten due to the different ways the two engines work.

3. CMI doesn't have a MIDI version of iMUSE. Only digital music can be played back. And MI1/2 don't provide such.

4. The costumes (character animations) need to be rebuilt. The old games use the COST format, the new games use the AKOS format.

5. Just about every other block in the games must be rebuilt (and the bundles need to be restructured), because just about every block format has changed since MI2, although not as much as the blocks mentioned above.

6. Probably more than that. This was what I could come up with in 4 minutes :)

And now:

*** SOME KIND OF SOLUTION ***

I have two solutions handy:

1. Have you tried scummvm? (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net)

2. Have you tried Quick & Easy (or tried fooling around with VDMSound yourself (search for it)? Quick & Easy is hosted here on Mojo somewhere, it doesn't have a homepage, though.

Hope this helps, or at least explains why it doesn't :)

- Serge

leclegal.gif

Personally, I think LEC should update their old titles instead of leaving it to the fans. If they're worried about sales of their old titles, they should make a bundle pack filled with updated versions of their SCUMM classics. However, that will probably never be, so more power to the fans!

well.. i think that's what we all would love to see, but unfortunatly lucasarts doesnt seem to think that they can make money on that so i think windows versions of the old games are too late now.

But im having faith in the guys behind ScummVM (great work you're doing there..).

// A_Lee_N

Originally posted by A_Lee_N

But im having faith in the guys behind ScummVM (great work you're doing there..).

We try :)

Monkey 1 Enhanced CD works fine in ScummVM... Monkey 1 VGA floppy works sorta-okay-ish with the 'monkeyvga' game target.

There seem to be some roomops that are a little different to what we currently support - shouldn't be much trouble to add when I'm motivated, but I want to finish getting Zak256 playing first :)

Not to Mention the Sega CD version of Monkey Island 1 works in ScummVM. :)

It's neat to see "Licensed by Sega Enterprises" and "Turn Your Sega Off And Go To Bed". Not to mention the slight script changes. Not quite as bad as Maniac Mansion NES, but noticable. To me at least. ;) (ie: I knew there would be mushrooms in here instead of in hell)

If you have the SegaCD version of Monkey Island and can compile your own version of ScummVM, pop this into gameDetector.cpp:

{"game", "Monkey Island 1 (SegaCD)", GID_MONKEY, 5, 2, 2,

GF_USE_KEY | GF_AUDIOTRACKS | GF_ADLIB_DEFAULT},

It is playable to the end with only a few bugs. Very neat. :D

hm, how did you control Monkey Island on Sega CD, with the gamepad? if it is so.. then how do you play it in ScummVM? I'm a bit curious...

I would also like to know what other differences there where in that version.. how was the music and so on?

// A_Lee_N

The mouse works fine for the cursor movement. :)

The SegaCD version took the cursor off the screen and let it's players use their up and down buttons to select dialog options to make it easier. This is the only time that the cursor is not on the screen - so 7 works for up and 6 works for down in ScummVM. And clicking your mouse button will select your choice. :D

The music is the same beautiful Michael Land score that is on the PC CD-ROM version. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Drigo Zoxx

Hey Serge I've found Quick & Easy here:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/temp/quickandeasy3.exe

I wonder why it's not referenced from LucasHacks?

Maybe because it's not really related to the internals of SCUMM?

But you're right, maybe I should add it. Hmm, and that reminds me, I really need to add a text that explains what the site LucasHacks is really about...

Archived