Home

other games

itisme

i didn't wanna say this cause this is a lucas arts forum, but i noticed that Discworld Noir uses files which SCUMM Revisited can recognise.

Again (i know that i keep saying it) I love this program

What files?

What format are they?

Do you mean youve actually opened and extracted stuff from noir with scumm revisited or youve opened a noir file, its come up as unknown block type and you want to find a decrypt value to decrypt it?

As Serge said SCUMM Rev finds the decrypt value itself for SCUMM games (0X69 for most I think, or that might just be bundles)

I suppose you could get SCUMM Rev to decrypt the block if you knew the value but I dont think it'd display the contents because its setup to detect SCUMM blocks.

Of course none of this is fact and is probably wrong, Serge will sort all this out when he replies :p

I'd really like to know what ScummRev showed, too.

However, I doubt it was something useful as I've worked on the Discworld Noir files (the *.scn files) myself and can say that they are compressed so you can't do anything with them unless you know the decompression algorithm (some LZ variant - mind note: I should fix the bugs in the decompressor and finish my DiscNoirRevisited :)).

The files i was thinking of were the *.mus files. I know that they were used in CMI or Grim Fandango or something.

I am interested in that Discworld Noir Decompiler though, where is it gonna be posted.

Serge, how is that work going on CMIDec, i am on the edge of my seat waiting for that one.

Thanx 4 the replies

Originally posted by itisme

The files i was thinking of were the *.mus files. I know that they were used in CMI or Grim Fandango or something.

The *.mus files are standard Mp3 files just with a different extension. You can just drag them onto the WinAmp window for example and they'll play.

I am interested in that Discworld Noir Decompiler though, where is it gonna be posted.

It's far from done. So far I haven't even completely figured out how the decompression works (there are still nasty bugs that corrupt the data).

For anyone interested: The uncompressed files are similar to the *.scn files used in DW1 and DW2, with new block types introduced, of course. :)

CMIDec. Working on it. Slowly. Right now, I'm making sure that the new design of it allows me to add support for the earlier scripts easily. As a matter of fact, it will probably decompile scripts from DOTT, SNM, FT and The Dig too. Might add even earlier games later on. So, I guess it's not really CMIDec anymore :) Anyway, will still be some time before I get it done. Lots of other stuff going on lately.

- Serge

Doubt he is :) Ben (john_doe) knows what he's talking about. He's talking about the .mus files of Noir. Just because the file extensions for the files are the same (.mus) as CMI, doesn't mean they're the same type of file. And they aren't.

- Serge

i wanna point out serge, that i was not ryin to rush u on that CMI Decompiler thing, i just wanted to let u know that it is somehting that sounds really good.

I know nothing much about coding other than the basics, but i understand that it takes ages to create a program. Plus, with all the extra features u wanna put in, u r just making me drool even more

I know, itisme :) Right now, my mind is just set on too many different things at once, most of them non-computerish, and CMIDec is not the top priority of the computerish ones. That changes from day to day, however.

As for features, the main reasons I'm rewriting it is that I want it to be more flexible and more user friendly (which also means more friendly to myself) - in order to add the support for the earlier games - although it's still close to impossible for a program to figure out what SCUMM version a game file is, without you telling it - the SCUMM Decompiler, as it will probably be called when more scripts than CMI can be decompiled, will probably have to do it in a way similar to scummvm - by asking for it.

The user friendliness part:

1. Changing it to use an interface like SCUMM Revisited (in the original version you had to dump a block from SCUMM Revisited and then open it in the decompiler - or do a "Mass Decompile" to decompile all scripts in a resource file into a directory)

2. Allowing naming of variables, actors, rooms, objects, sounds, music etc. - when a script is compiled all those names are lost and replaced by numbers, so something like:

if (current-room == woodtick-bar) {
 say-line guybrush "I'm at the bar!"
}

... would turn into:

if (var31 == 13) {
 say-line 1 "I'm at the bar!"
}

Not quite as readable, eh? :) So, to get around that, SCUMM Decompiler would allow naming of most (if not all) the stuff that loses its name - pretty much like annotations in SCUMM Revisited.

- Serge

Archived