Home

Official JK2 1.03 Patch Thread!

digl

What are you talking about? Running backwards was SO used by heavy stance people pre-patch.

Even if to your eyes it is unfair, the patch has done so much good. You obviously haven't played much of the patched game to say that. For every bad thing done by the patch, there are many more good. Yes, the game has experienced great change. It's not the same as old simply because old was abused too much. That's the point of a patch, to make things more fair while still retaining true starwars spirit. And the lightsabers now are really reminiscent of jedi duels. Playing pre-patch, all I hear was humming lighsabers swinging and the occasional "ahh" by someone getting hit. Nothing at all like sw dueling.

Let's face it, drain was too much, grip was too much on the ledges and catwalks, while heal was too efficient. Heavy, regardless of your skill level would always help any player rack more kills. That symbolizes only one thing: It was overpowered. Anything that is supposedly "fair" will not always help every player. It would help some but not all. Because some are better with a certain stance and maybe better at it than the rest.

Running backwards equal to forward speed is still a pain, but with raven's patch record, I would not be surprised to see that fixed next month.

Forsythe

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me just say the patch addressed some things as follows

1. Drain Monkeys good riddins

2. Healers

3. No more jump in the crowd slash spin kill.

4. Lame kick harder to do.

5. Better balancing of force powers

Now my opinion of the bad.

1. Saber combat is so weak its near imposible to kill a good

Opponent. Spent 20 min in a duel for a draw more than once.

2. Yes old kick and slash harder to do but script whores just

Program a new one.

3. Personally I hate scripts. It takes all the skill out of it when you

have a bunch of 1 button 10 move combos programed. Noththing more annoying than a guy with 10 combo 1 button kill moves programmed thinking he is GOD. SCRIPTS RUIN THE GAME IN MY OPINION. Any moron can push 1 button to do a pull, kick, roll, heavy, slash kill move, but can they pull it off without, most can't.

I think I am going to stop playing for a while and wait for a new patch. Longer saber battles sound good but 20 min button mash sessions are no fun at all. This is how saber combat is now mash mash mash hoping to get a kill. Spending 20 min mashing mouse button for 5 kills is a drag. 5 kills would also be the would also be the top score Yawn!

Ah script whores I hate you all

i've played with 1.03 for a few hours today on a saber only server, so i can really only speak about the saber changes.

frankly, i like them. sure using the medium stance takes more work, but to me it's more fun this way. strikes are a lot less random, so i can actually apply more skill to blocking an opponent's attack while making my own.

Perniciosus: you're obviously on the wrong saber only ffa servers. on the few i've played on, most center around a few duels, with people waiting their turn. sure there are a few people running around like headless chickens, but i tend to stay away from them and challenge people to duels.

and a lot of the people i've dueled against don't just run at me and hope they connect. sure you can play that way, but there's a lot more room for skill than many are giving the game credit for.

true star wars spirit? The star wars movies weren't based on gameplay. To make gameplay imitate a movie makes no sense at all. Especially since you cant control blocking. If you could somehow make blocking something of a skill, then yeah sure, making it more like the movie would be great. But blocking is automatic. So no skill to block, no fun. It looks more like the movies, and plays about as fun as auto-attack in everquest (an exaggeration, but you get the general sentiment I'm trying to get across here).

the game looked plenty cool enough before. Why sacrifice gameplay for ultra saber blocking cool light effects?

and yes people would run backwards with red all the time, and yes this did get annoying on levels where you couldn't corner them and make them run back past you. But these levels were few and far between. Most of the time you could just keep pressuring them, and eventually they would have to run past you, at which point you paste them with a wicked yellow combo. Was this really so big of a problem that they needed to change everything.

Originally posted by steeef

Perniciosus: you're obviously on the wrong saber only ffa servers. on the few i've played on, most center around a few duels, with people waiting their turn. sure there are a few people running around like headless chickens, but i tend to stay away from them and challenge people to duels.

Perhaps you're correct. But, again, just my opinion, Free For All means free for all, not the endless waiting and saber challenging people to duels. If I wanted to do that I'd play duel mode.

and a lot of the people i've dueled against don't just run at me and hope they connect. sure you can play that way, but there's a lot more room for skill than many are giving the game credit for.

In this regard, I fully agree. Duels, whether they're from challenges in FFAs or in duel mode itself, are far better and require much more skill than before. But, like I said above, Free For Alls shouldn't be a game where some people just go and wait (using Bespin as an example) on or around the landing pad for someone to conclude their duel while others are playing in true deathmatch style. If everyone is playing a true free for all, it almost always inevitably degenerates into a congretation of people in the largest area linking attacks with blue stance - like I said, mainly because of increased lag - (and a few people still red hopping around), hoping to hit. No skill needed and not very fun.

Sure, on some level it was similiar to this before the patch, but now it seems endless. Blocking and spinning, rince and repeat. At least pre-patch in FFAs, I could get some decent hits without having to spin like a hurricane in blue stance and could actually adjust for lag.. now it's like I'm swinging blindly and praying. Just my thoughts.

Like I said in ALL of my replied posts, my biggest bit with the patch is that blocking should be less effective.

Other things that need work:

-Running backwards should be 75-90% of forward speed

-Throw should start with a short time wait

-Jump should start with a short time wait

Short time wait, meaning like crouch, it shouldn't be immediately when you press button, but very near it.

But these problems were already there since befpre the patch.

But to say that the patch is garbage or "sucks" is a true understatement. The patch did more to help the game than any blocking problems you may encounter. 20min games? I've been fighting duels online tonight v1.03 on a whole slew of servers. I have yet to see these EXTREMELY long fights. It may seem long because a lot of shots are blocked and there is a tendency to stop the "heated" action for a tense few millseconds, but it is not.

Sure, blocking is automatic, but at the moment, it is not super hard to hit people. I remember trying to stand still and "auto-block" my opponent till he got pissed. But as it turns out, his spins and strikes got through quite rapidly. The blocking mechanisms did not add more than 3 or 4 blocks between each hit on me. Also, a lot of hits pre-patch were from mere touches which cost 5 health points. This created the illusion that many hits were being scored in duels when in fact they were not. If you actually watched your health meter during fights, there is a tendency to lose 1 health lots of times as lightsabers touch skin but do not penetrate.

But think about it. How hard is it to block someone who just strikes over your head at you from the front? Blocking maybe easy, but it's more penetrable than you think. I would really suggest you play more games against humans before continuing with your curent conclusions. Bots are inexplicably great blockers, but not humans.

Myst

Originally posted by DarthCobra

My only complaint is the JUMPKICK!!! Back to 1 jump PLZ!

Oh come on dont be a pussy if it was double tap when it first came out u wouldnt have worried. its going to take just a little itcy bitcy amount of time to get used to it jeezus. y cant people just go well done is done and that is that time for a little getting used to. things change, ya better get used to it.

Long thread, doubt this will get seen much =)

The biggest detriment I saw with the new patch so far is the change in ammo cost for secondary fire on the repeater and flachette. These are the two weapons most often used for defense in Capture the Flag games, and now they are going to be much less useful. It now takes only 12 shots to go from full to empty with these guns, and I know when the opposing team goes for the 4+ person rush at our flag I generally fire a lot more than 12 shots in the defense of said flag.

jump kick sucks now. put it back the way it was. The rest is fine. My mouse lets me do double clicks in one press and its so rapid that people using my mouse will abuse it and always kick the **** out of people. No one can beat me to the double tap in one click with my mouse and I think its sad. They should have tested better. Best to put it back to one click so everyone has a fair chance.

Got the patch last night and overall I'm very happy with it.

The new double jump takes a while ot get used to, I just spent 20mins practising it in an empty room until I got the hang of it.

Force Absorb is a lot better, same with Drain.

Saber throw doesn't use Force Energy, though not as much.

Force Pull and Push excellent. They used too much power as it was.

Saber Stance: The best improvement

I used to hate Blue and Red and only used yellow but now it's a lot more even.

A Blue Stance actually blocked a Jumping Red Attack! :)

Duels actually lasted longer than 15seconds, with the no more 1 hit kill. Had a great 10minute duel last night.

The new maps are good, though the Desann Battle map is a bit patchy.

Good work Raven!

And with that we cue the music!

:elefant:

:elphant:

Upon taking a few minutes to find a fairly nice downloading site to download the patch from, I quickly began to play a nice amount of MP. I tested a bot match first, the blocks were a LOT more than the last, which is a bit of eye candy for me although can be somewhat frusterating for the amount of duel times in a duel server, especially when you have been waiting 30+ minutes to get a good battle. I only tested 1 new map, the jedi training. I think it is the one in which you see upon entering the Jedi Temple. It was a GREAT looking map, although I noticed perhaps some bad bot mapping for it. I jumped on the ring, the bots took almost 5 minutes to get on it , sometimes running into walls and the like :).

Patch Likes

I really liked the Sp sabers being changed to MP, it gives me a lot more realistic type battles.

Toning down 1 hit newbs, I was just sick of some people and there one hits. Almost everyone abused this one hit and I am sickly tired of it. It is just an enhanced form of JK1, lancing with hardstance is ALL it was. Simply running back and forth, although this time its slow as hell and the the targeting was horribly off. If you like battling back and forth with hardstance, simply not doing anything but running back and forth, and then doing some move that was a bug to win. Then simply go play JK1. What did you expect... JK1 sabers?

Absorb is great, it seems if people are doing a lot of crapping about it lately. Light simply sucked compared to dark, and now I can use it like I did in JK1. Thanks Raven.

HeY GuYZ! LEtZ pResz TH3 BuTtOn and TaKe hiZ HealThz! iT 33z called drAin! WoWZ!

Drain is actually a great defense move against gunners and abusive force users, and it has the potential to be a horribly newb force power, and a great defense one. People were simply abusing it, sad for drainers out there that really didnt abuse it. Although I can see now it was toned down, so great.

I didnt like the "clips" being lowered. Please, dont lower any more ammo. Simply if people get owned by guns, and have force powers. Then they need to go play Q3. Did they forget they had push, pull, drain, lightning and the like? Jeezus, simply use pull and stop whining about guns.

Overall, nice work Raven. Although I hope you make bots like SP! That and a few toneing up will produce a greatly improved game :).

1558118772.m.gifObi-Wan Kenobi: Don't defy the council, Master, not again.

Qui-Gon Jinn: I will do what I must, Obi-Wan. :saberb:

who the £uck wants a ten minute duel this patch sucks, I hate it and I'm gonna tell everyone I play not to use it because its gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minute duel you yellow style fudge packing skull monkey.

I hate this £ucking patch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100,000 buy a game, 1000 complain maybe u got it right the first time :'(

If u lot hadn't started the bitching they wouldnt have completely overhauled mp saber combat. Which they must have thought they had right when they released the game. Or did they completely cock it up in the beginning? I don't think so. They just completely cocked it up with this patch on the say so of some complete and utter plebs who can't even counter a damn DFA.

Gay patch? Wow, that can fit right in with the people that said "i hate you Raven, you suck!".

If you are going to diss this patch in such a stupid way then just get lost, no-one wants to hear it, not even the other people who hate the patch.

The combat has been changed for the better they just need to tweak the blocking now. Blocking occurs far too often and it seems that it's radius has also increased. I think they should remove the sabers clashing when in mid swing. This has to be my biggest gripe. It might be a neat feature too see, but in practice it doesn't really work too well. You get rather large groups of people having what looks more like a mosh pit then a saber fight. With some tweaking to the blocking it'll be REALLY cool again.

An increase in damage done by any style would be nice too. Personally I wouldn't mind dying after 2-3 hits as long as I know my opponent can too.

The amount of sparks flying around could also be tuned down a bit.

Other than that, I haven't encountered anything that really bothered me.

Originally posted by Jessicka

My mouse lets me do double clicks in one press and its so rapid that people using my mouse will abuse it and always kick the **** out of people. No one can beat me to the double tap in one click with my mouse and I think its sad.

I can do the same with my Nostromo Gamepad. Or via a script.

Prefer the manual way though.....

Back to the topic at hand:

I think the patch works well. Aside from some minor lag issues I've heard about, anyway.

It sux having to do away with 4-5 weeks of work learning how to fight the old style, but I'm looking forward to learning the new style of fighting.

The only bad thing is the default saber-throw setting in NF games, but that's easy enough for the server admin to disable...

Tek.

This is a copy of what I posted in another thread (ad I'll put it into a few more threads too, I'd really like to know what comments I'd get on this)

Here goes...

I'd like to see everything returned to what it was...

Then...

Have the DFA receive the same tweak as in the v1.03 patch (non-turnable)

Make backpedalling (sp?) go at about 75% of running speed (to catch up with the cowards who always keep running, and to make thesaber battles more interesting,as you cannot just go back and front dodging attacks anymore)

Increase the damage OR the speed of blue... (40 damage or 25% speed increase would be just right, I guess, to make it more usefull)

Make heal use a bit more force than first, but not as much as in v1.03... (25hp for 3 blocks seems good on level 3)

Let absorb be invisible, have no (or almost none, like half a block) activation cost, but eat about half a block per sec of force to have it maintained.

Drain should have 200% efficiency, in other words, draining someone's full force meter should use up only half your force meter. Catch is, it should take 7-10 secs of continued draining to fully drain someone. One full force meter drained = 75hp seems about right to me. If the drain is absorbed, it should give no health to the drainer, and give force to the absorber in a rate of about 1/2 of what the drainer spent.

Push and Pull should work on someone who turned on absorb, but only with 50% effect. Knocking people over with Pull/Push when they're absorbing should be impossible. Push and Pull should also need less force power when used on someone with a gun.

Mind Trick, Dark Rage, Seeing, Speed, etc... was all perfectly fine, no changes needed there.

Remember that al these changes are what I think should be done to the PRE-patch gameplay, in other words, undo any changes the patch did, then apply these changes. IMO it should make for balanced, competitive gameplay.

Now, to adress the issue of people wanting to have a more movie-like, we could include an extra RPG/Movie option, to switch to the new style, with lots of blocks.

Competitive style (or normal style) with the same blocking ratio as first should be default. I think that we could please everyone with this option.

(BTW, some people say there's less randomness in the patch due to th efact that now, when you slash while standing stilml, you have always the same slash. I agree that it should have been like that in the first version, this, too, along with the tweaked dfa, should have been different in the release version.)

Comments, anyone ? :)

(please note that I'm not a DFA spammer/gun whore/heal slu/whatever... I'm one of those guys who likes fair play, doesn't whine about "cheap moves" but tries to find a counter... if they can pull it off, it's MY fault...)

my opinion

overall i feel they over did it.

thing i liked:

the absorb thing

the dfa thing

Things i disliked:

the sp medium stance replacing the original sp (Basically I don't feel as fluid as pre-patch with the saber)

massive blocking

change in speeds

new moves

2 jump kick

new damage system thing (dunno if there is but it sure feels like it. like i feel like when you come into contact with a guy during a swing you poke him a lot of times and when you swing pokes count for more or something. really odd. Most moves seem to do less than 30 damage without extra "pokes" in the swing even on heavy"

saber throw in nf duels (not sure about this. haven't tried an nf duel)

I think if they improved hit detection and added the absorb thing it would be ideal.

Things gained from such an addition would mean easier blocking (not excessive awkward blocking) and easily counterable dfa's.

That's all I would've wanted. I think WAY too much has been added.

I say stick with this patch.

But in the next patch I think they should:

1. Tune up the damage done by ALL saber attacks.

2. Tone down the blocking frequency whilst in attack animations.

3. Narrow the radius of the block effect.

4. Give us fists instead of the lame stun baton.

5. Stop the sabers sparking so much. I'm going blind there is so much sparking going on now.

Very good patch, but could have been better.

I think that it is good that Raven have listened to the community, but I feel that this patch makes the game far less fun and satisfying.

In duel mode, the game IS more like the film now, with long intricate battles.

But in FFA and CTF modes, the new sabre system has SERIOUS flaws, resulting in everyone running about like headless chickens and randomly killing each other the majority of the time.

I like the new stance versions, but all attacks should cause 25 - 30 % more damage , and make the heavy stance a hit of 95 health - for the game to be fun and satisfying more decisive battles need to be implemented.

The one thing that adds the most randomness to the sabre battles is the silly always block system that is about luck rather than skill. A manual block system is definately needed - with a manual block all strikes should be blocked except for DFA but the player blocking should move slowly as in the new grip and heavy strikes should send them reeling back or occasionally knocked down.

The new patch reminds me of how quake3 became poor in MP developers listening to too many viewpoints of both hardcore and newbie/mediocre players. When Q3 came out it tried to please both the Q2 and Q1 players and became an overly balanced game with no real excitment.

All the old classic MP games (doom, duke3d, quake1, quake2) had a learning curve that meant that newbies lost lots while those investing time into the game were far more skilled. The new patch makes the curve rather flat.

Just my opinion! :)

Archived