Home

why is search disabled

raagnot

They turn it on and off, depending on traffic that goes through. Similarly, with a poster's email button, that has always been disabled as far as I know.

Would be nice if the official forums of JK2 actually put some bandwidth into it, and quit crashing every 3 hours, and we could actually do things like searches.

I didn't know we were supposed to pay them back.

I figured the multiple pop-up ads per page would pay for all of it (since we all know how well pop-up ads do).

But seriously, I am curious how the official jk2 website can promote these forums as the official jk2 forums, yet the owners of these forums did not set up a deal with Raven/Lucas Arts to help cover the cost of running these jk2 forums.

This is a good idea though. I think everytime someone complains about lag on one of my multiple JK2 game servers, or asks why the server went down, I will start trying to extract money and donations from them.

:D

Although the guys and gals at LucasArts and Raven are a swell group of people, they aren't going to pay for forums that aren't theirs and they shouldn't be expected to. ;)

And these aren't the official forums. There are no official forums for JO. These are the premiere forums.

Sadly, those pop-up adds just don't cut it. :(

Finally, if you'll check out the main Lucasforums page, you'll see just how big the load on the server is. :o

Well then I guess if you dont have the funds to run a full functioning forum then pull the plug. Why should you advertise for LucasArts/Raven if they are not going to help out?

This is the most active forum that I have found yet its the worst as far as actually finding what your looking for, unless you want to spend hours manually searching.

I guess I wont feel bad about asking questions that I KNOW were asked before but am to lazy to manual search for it. So I should expect no **** or flames, right.

I understand the load you are attempting, but it's not working. This has nothing to do with whether we appreciate everything you do for us yada yada yada. Running servers for free is pretty much a thankless job. Sure, we receive a few emails here and there thanking us for doing what we do, but for the servers that I run, I'm not in it for the thanks.

I run servers because that's what I enjoy doing. I also try to run only what I know my loads can handle, because it is pointless to run something that doesn't work.

It seems that you are attempting to run a whole network of forums, but the network cannot handle the load. So, the options are 1) Find a source of revenue that will allow you to handle the load. 2) Charge your visitors to support the bandwidth (but you will soon find that there will not be many visitors) 3) Reduce the load by getting rid of some of the forums. 4) Switch to better forum software 5) Do nothing, but be prepared to put up with many threads about normal forum functionality hardly working, or the forums constantly crashing or lagging.

I don't think they understand how to manage bandwidth.

Search: reduces overall bandwidth.

Post limitation: reduces overall bandwidth

Multiple posts saying the same damn thing asking the same damn question Waste a TON of bandwidth.

You guys used to be dotcommers didn't ya?

Guys, I know it's frustrating (even more so as a moderator), but we're going have to deal with some bumps along the road. It'll be back, eventually. And since we have a Feedback forum for exactly this type of thread... yoink.

Hahaha. Well, I moved it to the wrong feedback forum. ;) We'll just leave it here until another mod moves it to the rightful place, as I don't have power in this forum to do so. Let the throwing of various types of rotten fruit commence. ;)

Archived