Home

Just got Real Saber!

JediSith999

$225? $225! Jezus, Maria and Jozef! HOLY GOD! That is a lot of money... me and my girlfriend spend that much in a month on everything together... please tell me this wasn't an impulse purchase but that it is at least something you have wanted since you were conceived.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, looks good, i'll probly buy one, take me a while to save up for one though, prices are insane, especially for the stupid display case that looks really cool... hopefully the site will still be up in a month. These sabers better be durable, very durable.

$225? A lot? Well, it is a lot of money, but to propaholics such as myself, it doesn't seem like it. I hate to admit it, but I've spent nearly $900 on lightsaber replicas, and I know people who have spent over 10 x's that amount! NO...I'm not kidding. My collection includes Luke's ROTJ saber, Vader's ANH saber, Luke's ESB saber, Qui-Gon Jinn's Saber, Obi-Wan's TPM Saber, and Maul's Saber. 4 of them have EL blades from Mike at LightechIndustries...including dual blades for my Maul. :maul:

Officially: yes the academy is running the 1.03 patch. Love it or leave it. :)

and JS: that saber looks teh cool. Have you tried hitting things with it? Hows the blade act? Oh yeah and if you want a place to host pics just lemme know... :)

_____

NerfYoda

aka DJ Sith

I run the game server & do various odd jobs for the Jedi Academy.

to be honest I am probably buying a Parks saber because they sound more sturdy, and I DO plan on sparring with them with some friends of mine (I teach a number of weapons classes in my martial arts school so trust me we're not kids with pointy sticks).

the point is, how durrable are these lightech ones? any idea? The parks ones are advertised as virtualy unbreakable, but I also saw people dueling with them on the lightech website in that video... so my question is, which version is stronger?

I have a feeling the lightech blades are brighter (they do use two 9v right?), or do they just last longer?

either way great ****, and now I am confused as to which brand I want... parks or lightech... parks looks and sounds more sturdy, but lightech looks cool as hell heheh

well, i dont like parks, since they both use the same blade, they are both the same amount of sturdyness, The lightech ones are virtually unbreakable, as I smacked it against my wall, and my wall chipped, and all the blade got was a little scratch. I love my lightech, i got the defender, it is cheaper then those parks, and I just think more time and effort go into lightech. And since multiple orders come in everyday, they just keep building em, so when you wanna order, it only takes a week in comparison to parks 9 weeks.

Comparison:

Lightech:

Strong, fancy, look good in pictures and real life, fun to play with, My personel prefrence, and probably yours, blades last hella long

keep comming out with new ideas

Parks :

Same strength, look terrible, the crappy red thing on the tip of the blade, have had bad expiereinces with parks making it no fun at all

So my overall choice is lightech and I am not trying to start a war in any way, so dont flame me, just giving my 2 cents.

And If you buy from lightech, tell him Ross from the Academy sent you.

- Ross "JediSith999" Berger

Jedi Academy Leader

JediSith999 we've been over this...

Lightech is a complete ripoff of parksabers...

Anyway,

Also go to masterreplicas.com

They also have an EL blade with sound etc.

I'm just wondering if the blade is as sturdy as the parks/lightech ones.

Masterreplcias are also a lot cheaper.

ps. Jedisith999

next time u take pics, try to have some clothes on ffs!

Guest HertogJan

Eh... masterreplicas.com produces replica's of the SW sabers, the ones @ park and ligtech are home-made and they aren't like the ones in the movies, although you'll recognize it as a lightsaber :D

Also, park and lightech have blades on them, the ones from masterreplicas.com DONT! Those are just really expensive hilts (for the price of a hilt you can buy an entire lightech saber!)

If you are looking for the best sabers, go here:

http://www.lightsaberreplicas.com/

For as little as $1800 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You have a real looking saber, modelled after the ones in the original trilogy and with plasma blades. Those blades emit a 360 degrees bright light, in the color you want. The best thing about these plasma blades, is that you see the light "filling" the blade when opening, like in the movies!

Nah, IF I'm ever going to buy a saber, it's going to be lightech :) But it's going to be a while :(

What can I say, it's about 80 bucks cheaper than the ones I had my eyes on from parks, and looks twice as good, and more balanced...

I hate the blocky thing on the side of the hilt on the parks sabers... I don't mind if they are placed in the right place, but they always seemed to be right where you would put your hand... YUCK! At least these either don't have that blocky LED, or the LED is in the middle...

And good choice on sabers man, though I liked the look of all of them, for the money the defender is definately the best, well I mean if all you can afford is that one (like me) then it's a fine looking saber at just the right price...

thanks again for posting info!!!

PS, I might be interested in joining the Training academy for teaching folks the basics, so if you need someone let me know where I can get a tryout/info ETC on joining to be an instructor, AND a student. Thanks again :)

With all due respect, JediSith, that really does not look like it was worth the money they charged you.

I own two Parks Sabers now and both look very professional and handle very well. Mr. Parks has always been very nice and has always stood behind his product. The "little red tip" is about as hard to remove from the end of the blade as they are to remove from cap guns. And, more importantly, they're cheaper. The most expensive Parks Saber is 285 (Echelon) where as the most expensive Lightech one is 375 (the Powerage), not including the so-called double-saber. Additionally, Lighttech wants 250 for just a hilt whereas I could get a very well made Defiance hilt from Parks Sabers for 80 bucks and again, it looks much better.

To be honest, in looking at some of the pictures you posted, it would appear you paid damn near U.S. Government contractor prices for the pieces you got. 225? For that? Look at how much they want for pieces and parts! Don't let the minimum wage workers at Home Depot or Lowe's find out or they'll be thieving the same items Lightech uses as 'parts' and hocking them at a 2000% markup like Lightech does.

http://www.fsonline.ca/uploads/uploads/Picture%20008.jpg -

While I'm sure the distortion on the picture is contributing to the overall bad look, that hilt looks like very poorly cut split tubing that is relies heavily on epoxy to stay in place.

I'm looking at their site now and it makes me even happier that I ordered from Parks Sabers. "Interchangeable parts"? Yeah, that just sounds amazingly sturdy (note the sarcasm). None of these ones on their site look professional or sturdy at all.

Sorry bud, I think you got massively ripped off. $225 for what you got, minus the EL blade, of course, could have built you almost ALL of the various styles at bigyellowbox.tripod.com, and almost all of their homemade styles at bigyellowbox look far better than Lightech's.

For those of you who are willing to shell out that kind of money, here's the question: Do you want something that looks shoddy 95% of the time and only so-so when you use it as a costume accessory, or do you want something that can be proudly displayed as a collectors item 95% of the time and looks great as an occasional costume piece?

The former is Lightech. The latter is Parks Sabers.

365 (unclear on if there are additional shipping charges) for this: http://www.lightechindustries.com/poweragecollage.jpg

or

210 (including all shipping to north american customers, 25 extra for international) for this:

http://www.parksabers.com/2002models/rogue/rogue_med.jpg

As was already mentioned, they both use the same style EL blades.

Coincidentially, you say Parks Sabers "look crappy" because of where he puts the LEDs? Well, go back and watch the original trilogy then, please. Note that the Arc Wave and Rogue are both made to look like the movie counterparts, and in the original trilogy (and in episode 2, look at Anakin's saber), the 'big LED' thingy was almost always where one's hand went. Episode 1 diverged from that with simple buttons. Personally, I prefer the classic trilogy look as the "episode 1" look is just too plain. Also, owning the Echelon and Defiance, I'd like to state that I don't think the LED placement is in the way on either hilt whatsoever.

----

A note about the master replicas Anakin Ep. 2 and forthcoming Vader lighting/EFX sabers. Yes, they're cheap. Cheaper than Parks and Lightech. But the blades are not removeable - they are permanantly attached and, from what I've heard, they aren't very strong, which means it's nothing more than a collector's show piece. They can't be used, at all, for occasional costuming, so, unless you just want something that sits on your wall and eats batteries (their idea of a long lifespan is 2 hours), don't bother with one of the master replicas light/efx ones.

JS999: You've mentioned twice you damaged a wall with the thing, it's so sturdy. Just out of curiousity.... what exactly is your wall made of?

I mean, if it's inside your room, chances are it's white-wall, and I can chip white-wall leaning on it...

Nax

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the parks sabers in themselves... However both companies seem to make equal quality sabers overal, with some minor stylistic differences and maybe the lightechs are a bit shinier... but other than that, I am NOT dissing parks sabers... Even when I stated I didn't like the LED box on the side.

to me it came down to the blade... and the overal look... As a practitioner of many martial art forms including weapons, it is second nature to me to figure out the base quality of a weapon or mock weapon within ten minutes of handling it... So once I get the lightech in my home, and fire it up, it will take me about 10 minutes to decide if I want a refund or not. More likely however I will simply buy the next saber from parks so I can have two...

To be honest unlike real weapons having removable parts means very little, with few exceptions a real melee weapon with interchangeable parts is a bad idea... In fact the Katana is one of the few melee weapons that does this effectively...

i got news for you about parks, judging from the looks of it, I am sure without damageing anything I could remove most of the stuff on a parks saber just like with lightechs... If it doesn't come off then unless it's welded guess what? It's epoxy.

but heres another bit of info... in terms of using it for mock melee weapons, epoxy is one of the best things you can use... Vibrations don't effect it too badly if you use the right kind in the right mixtures (it remains a tiny bit rubbery, even if you can't feel it).

Overal I would say at first glance the differences between parks and lightech boil down to, styles, and prices... I can say with all honesty BOTH brands look excellent, and I would be honored to own either one...

the final reason I chose lightech was because they said mine should be at my house by this tuesday, or wednesday at the latest (so long as someone is home or awake to get the door and sign for it anyway). Parks on the other hand could take over a month up to two months. I completely understand this, and is in no way a complaint... but when I purchase something like this, I want it right away make sense?

It's not like I am ordering a custom live steel/combat steel sword... I have one and I had to wait 6 months for it, and it cost me as much as some of you might have spent on your first used car... (about 15 hundred bucks!)

The point is, thanks jedi academy for sharing the info in the first place, and I am not going to argue over which saber is better mainly because I have yet to get either one of them... until I own one of both i will keep my opinions unbiased... I would recomend you all do the same...

As for the info the one guy said about the parks sabers, trust me I thank you for it... but don't take it like I meant the parks ones sucked...

to me it's one part "feel/balance" and one part style... i dislike the LED box, and as for the feel of it, if you can say in all honesty that it DOESN'T EVER hinder you, or feel rough/uncomfortable durring heavy practice/use, then I thank you for that info as well...

As I said my next one will most likely be a parks, unless I find the lightech to be just about perfect for my needs... understand?

In other words, if the blades are the same, and the construction is the same (replacable parts means nothing if they are done right but ONLY when they are done right), then I decided to try lightech first... I'm sure mr parks is a great guy (was half the reason I was thinking of the parks ones, cuz he sounded like a good honest guy), but would you buy something JUST because you liked the salesman? In the end, I am not flaming anyone, in fact I thank them for thier opinion, and don't feel like debating this... at least not until I get my saber... then maybe I'll be up for it... until next time.

that is all...

This is a good place.

edit: Whoa park sabers has changed the last time I went there was about 3 years ago.

Look at the Malestrom hilt *drooling* edit:however it definatly needs that box removed.

edit: Last time I went to Park sabers the baldes were those plasma ones that broke if you hit something with it.

If you guys live on the east coast preferably within a half hour to an hour from NYC in any direction, let me know, I'd be happy to practice/duel with you guys sometime when my saber comes. If you have prior experience with real weapons thats kick ass too! but if not don't worry I taught it for years as I have said many times, and would be happy to give out a few basic lessons :)

If my Handle doesn't give out my email address just ask for it here, and I'll find a way to get it to you safely... (don't like handing it out too much if I can help it). Stay in touch :) I'll be back here by wednesday or thursday at the latest with my full report on the saber! I'm off to go buy a ten pack of 9 volts now, since I am sure to depleat the 9 volt that comes with the saber before I even decide to take it outside and make the nextdoor neighbor kids think I am a god. They already watch me through the fense when I practice with my other weapons sometimes... i can only imagine how they will react to a bad ass looking prop saber!

Ok I find this whole light saber thing a little...Ummm...Stupid? Come on people get lives. Seriously most people who have these stupid little "Stick" things are in thier early 40's, divoriced and going no where in thier life. Plz for the existance of all man kind stop playing with toys:rolleyes:

Originally posted by FalloutGod

Ok I find this whole light saber thing a little...Ummm...Stupid? Come on people get lives. Seriously most people who have these stupid little "Stick" things are in thier early 40's, divoriced and going no where in thier life. Plz for the existance of all man kind stop playing with toys:rolleyes:

I'm in my early 20's.. been with a girl for a few years now & am thinking of tying the knot, not fat, no horrid acne, & just got a sweetass promotion & I still like playing with toys. Comon admit it you want a real lightsaber too. hehehe

I think it was Calvin's dad from the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip that said old people don't stop playing with toys, their toys just get more expensive. :)

Yeah its a white wall, just let me know if you ordered one, maybe we can duel some time...

I'm not positive, but I think there's a serrious misunderstanding here. I'm asking about what your wall is made of, not what color it is.

If you were talking about what material your wall is made of, I would have expected you to say "Yeah, it's whitewall..." rather than "it's a white wall..."

Nax

Archived