Home

editit

itisme

I first and foremost, wanna apologise for all the posts i have left here asking for help. i regret to inform u that this is another one.

I was wondering if there is any program that allows u to edit the files in SCUMM based games like the sound files or the text subtitles. I am again sorry for all these posts.

Yeah dont apologise, you've gotta keep Serge busy:p

I dont know of any such program and (from what ive gathered) I think it's difficult to do because changing sounds and text alters their size and offsets thus messing up the scripts.

Of course with a bit of luck Serge will reply and tell us all that it can be done and he'll add it to his ever-growing list of future projects:D

As far as I recall, this board was created in order to let people ask questions, make comments, help each other out ;)

Anyway, I replied to a similar question less than a month ago, here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45938

Just scroll almost to the bottom. Ah, what the heck, I'll just paste it here:

"That is REALLY hard to do, sorry. To make an explanation of why, the following is a bit technical:

The reason is that dialogue lines are stored inside the scripts, which are placed inside the resource bundles of the game along with costumes, background art, everything.

If the length of a translated dialogue line differs as much as a single letter from the original version, every command that comes after it in the script will have a different offset (position) than before. Which means that if there's a jump earlier in the script, it'll jump to a wrong offset and the game will (most likely) crash.

Also, all the resources following the script you patch will have their position changed too. Which means that the directory (atlantis.000) will point to wrong positions too. Which, in turn, means that the engine won't be able to find anything in the resource file.

It IS possible to do a utility to take care of all this, but I don't think anyone has done it yet. It's something I might consider adding to the SCUMMBag family sometime (see the Questions thread on the SCUMM Hacking forum).

- Serge"

- Serge

No problem. :)

I've just been told there IS a Mac utility outthere that supposedly does it, but I don't know if it allows you to change the length of the text. It might. Still, haven't tested it, don't have a Mac. And I don't endorse it either - especially seeing that this guy took the liberty of ripping all the SCUMMRev icons out for use in his own program (a SCUMMRev clone, apparently) without asking me or Andrew - who spent a week or so doing those icons in the first place.

- Serge

Oh, the link to that program is:

http://utenti.lycos.it/macscumm/

Hello peoples, hello Serge.

I'm the icons thief, and i'm ready to give me up :)

Seriously, i must really apologize for this icons kidnapping. That's my big fault please excuse me. believe me or not, i can understand the efforts of your work and it wasn't my intention to attribute that to me. I can feel that Serge is really hungry and i agree that he is right.

However, just to let you know that i'm not that sucker, I'd like to inform you that my program uses my own icons from about two months, while the snapshot on my webpage is outdated instead, thus it still shows SCUMMRev's icons. Also I'd like to explain my actions; I've started the development of my program, SCUMM Explorer, about an year ago, when the SCUMMRev project was down. However I sent at least one message to Serge to inform him of my project (my first idea was to port the original SCUMMRev on Macintosh) but i never get a reply from him. At first i thought that my program 'd never reach a public version, so i simply included SCUMMRev's icons because i had no time to draw my own. These icons have been there for 3 beta versions and in version 0.4 (Beta) i've changed them cause I've found some time and a bit of patience to do that noisy task. I forgot to put any name in the credits just because it was only a temporary solution but also cause i had no opportunity to receive an authorization from Serge too. I also don't have much free time so i forgot almost anything related to my projects... But -again- I belive mine is a big mistake.

Regards,

Drigo

Any chance of getting the source for that tool, btw (the debundler/rebundler). Assuming you forgive me for removing your CVS access to ScummVM, but everyone was quite peeved that you broke all their ports with nasty commits ;P

Serge: thank you very much. Again that was my fault and i'm happy you accepted my apologies :)

Endy: mine are Mac specific C sources. What exactly do you need? Are you talking about sound blocks or what?

About that CVS question i can't believe i've done that :( Please explain me what happened.

Originally posted by Drigo Zoxx

Endy: mine are Mac specific C sources. What exactly do you need? Are you talking about sound blocks or what?

About that CVS question i can't believe i've done that :( Please explain me what happened.

Mostly I'm just intrested out of curiosity, as to how your building the OFFS table, etc.

As for CVS.. I actually can't remember now. I think it was a combination of not talking to the other two mac porters, and putting #ifdef's around the include lines.. it took an hour for Fingolfin to go though and remove those - you just needed to turn on an option in your IDE.. um, "interpret unix paths in #includes" or something. I'm happy to give you access back, if you deign to talk to the other porters before making changes like that - they just get a bit peeved :)

Originally posted by Drigo Zoxx

I'll be glad to send you the source, just let me know how (by email?)

Since that's the first time i work on a sourceforge project i don't know how to talk with other developers. Is there a chat or developers forum available?

There are two methods.. the best one is IRC. As mentioned in readme.txt, that's irc.openprojects.net on channel #scummvm - secondly there is a mailing list, scummvm-devel.. Follow the 'lists' link from the SourceForge project page to get to it.

Drop the source via email to lucasforums@enderboi.com... if your willing to keep working on ScummVM (just talk to the other two mac porters, Fingolfin and Mutle :) also put your SourceForge username in the message and I'll give you CVS access back.

Archived