Home

[UPDATE 2: FILES][UPDATE:ads & load times]Search, Sigs, avatars.

matt--

As you know, searching and signatures are disabled. Avatars are periodically.

So everybody asks, "Why?"...usually with more 'colorful metaphors.'

Here's a somewhat technical explanation:

This forum is run with PHP and MySQL. When you call a page up, apache finds the appropriate file and decides what to do with it. It sees that the file's extension is '.php' and sends it to the php interpreter. It changes the code into html. The php script will include database queries(mysql). So the path to the page goes: apache -> php -> mysql.

Apache is a great piece of sotware. PHP is fast, too. MySQL is fast, but not very scalable.

The search table is over 200 megabytes. There are a total(all in the file) of 33 queries in the search php. Any idea how long it takes to scan through 200 megs?

Sigs don't take up nearly as much space, but they are extra queries involved. 1 for each post(at least).

Avatars have a single call to the database(mysql), but again, that's 1 for each post. It's a toss up between this and sigs, but avatars seem more popular.

A non-technical explanation:

Deal with it...our server can't.

So don't post anymore 'Why is the search disabled!?!!?1' threads. You no longer have an excuse...you have been answered.

Update: Slow load times & ads

Recently people have been complaining about 2 new things...ads and load times. Here's the deal: this network is a hobby...the owners pay for it out of pocket. All the network sites(except for JK2.net and LucasForums) are on one server. The 2 exceptions each have a dedicated server. They are running at full capacity. If you think we should have more servers, than we need to have more ads(read: much more).

Update 2: The Files section

Yes, we know that they don't work. If you have a high-speed connection that can handle some MASSIVE bandwidth usage, feel free to contact us. Until you do, stop complaining...there isn't any other way to say it. Rest assured that the files WILL be back online in the foreseeable future.

When you login from the mainpage, your username(Guest) will NOT update to reflect your actual username. The script DOES recognize you, however.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by razorace

Is there a way we could trade both sigs and avatars for the search function? I'd prefer it to avatars or sigs.

I doubt many people would agree with you... but the prblem with searching is less with server bandwith than with user bandwidth I think.

From what I understand about vbulletin searching can be quite CPU intensive on the server, especially if theres a big ol' database to search through (like LucasForums'). It doesnt eat up any more network bandwith shan serving up any other page though, give or take.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

why not use defrag the hard disks on this servers ^.^

i know its not a complete solution, but'll help (a little) ^.^

and how bout deleting some REALLY old posts (ones that really dont have much needing to keep), and not deleting the post counts in the process (just incase that does happen ^.^)

• 2 weeks later...
and how bout deleting some REALLY old posts (ones that really dont have much needing to keep), and not deleting the post counts in the process (just incase that does happen ^.^)

That's kind of a tall order Scarface.. a lot harder than it sounds.

I don't know any way to fix the post counts other than doing it manually one at a time...

Not worth the effort. ; p

• 11 months later...

Sure there is, it's called pruning. Will delete posts/thread older than **** but postcount will remain the same, only thing that will change is the 'there are ****** posts in **** threads on the main page. Search for it in the admin panel, should be somewhere

the reason i came snooping in here is because i just noticed something, i'm now on the macintosh laptop and suddenly i see all these ads and popups. i recommend you guys to get norton internet security (firewall and blocks ads) and a free popup killer and like on my pc you won't get any ads

• 2 weeks later...

Archived