Home

Vague wishes (a bit of a rant)

gavor

<rant>

My hope is SWG will go the right way and reward the smart players. Truely exceptional characters will only come about because of exceptional players, not just because you slogged along expecting to level up through persistance.

I'm finding it a little hard to put into words but I have a feeling for what would make the game more fun, more challenging. The basic idea is that it should be challenging, not obscure or difficult in a boring way. But challenging like a real game, where thinking about things and making an effort are the difference between good players and average players. No matter how long you're online, you won't come up with a great character unless you work smart, not hard.

The reasons for this post are twofold,

1. I want SWG to be the greatest ever MMPORPG, i expect to be playing it years from now.

2. The devs have given me hope with some directions they've gone. In other games anyone can be the mega dark lord warrior of krull with enough time online and dungeon slogging. When most 12 yo's get there they then go around ruining the game for everyone else (a generalisation, plenty of people my age do that too). SWG is restricting who can be jedi, taking a good stab at a workable resurrection system and seemingly creating a skill system that will reward those who mix their skills thoughtfully.

I could go on and on but most people are probably already bored or confused.

</rant>

I agree to a point, let me explain.

I would like to see this happen, certain professions need people to be smart in order for that persons character to excel.

This might be politicians who need superior online social skills, jedi who might need some social skills, some luke err luck ;) and some mystery solving skills.

You must be daft if you think a stupid 12 year old will excel at being a bounty hunter! (no offense you 12 year olds but hey we've all seen them). I mean the parameters already stated for bounty hunter seem to indicate it'll be a mind game 70-80% of the time and fighting only 20%. After all I do believe they said it'll take tracking, slicing, and soldiering to be a good bounty hunter, and I believe it'll be in that order of importance. Just with the number of planets in right now, it is going to be hard to track a individual target down when the missions are given out randomly.

Other professions such as designer (duh you don't see too many idiot engineers) and manufacturer (uh that position is already filled thank you very much) are going to require thought process in almost everything.

As a manufacturer, ESPECIALLY later as a skilled manufacturer when I can't make designs with enough skill to be worth my time, and I'm having to contract out, if I pick horrible designs that nobody will use (and remember my skill will come from how many times people use them) then I'd be up a creek without a paddle.

That said, I also believe that there should always be some professions that you don't need ummm....above intelligence to excel at, and some people just won't want to have to put a lot of thought into playing.

An example might be soldier (e.g. mine is not to reason why, mine is but to do or die) or perhaps a hairdresser, etc etc.

This is true for all the ones that make it a long time, and this is where I think SWG will excel.

Rommel

Designer

Manufacturer

Meglomaniac

Rich Bastard

:naughty:

"Hey kid, wanna buy a blaster?"

What I heard from the devs about the skill system was very promising indeed. There will probably be alot of blasterswinging maniacs out there, the people who go in Diablo style. And that's fine, SWG should also reward those players.

But the real challenge of this game lies in the other jobs, like becoming a (good) bountyhunter or a trader (like me). Because the devs say that they are going to create a player-run economy the number of NPC's you can just drop your stuff for a bit of cash will be much more rare. So as a trader I need to; find out what people want, get that stuff, and sell it for a high price to a PLAYER, no scripted NPC. I just love it, it's how all MMORPG's should be.:D

Originally posted by Zendjir

What I heard from the devs about the skill system was very promising indeed. There will probably be alot of blasterswinging maniacs out there, the people who go in Diablo style. And that's fine, SWG should also reward those players.

But the real challenge of this game lies in the other jobs, like becoming a (good) bountyhunter or a trader (like me). Because the devs say that they are going to create a player-run economy the number of NPC's you can just drop your stuff for a bit of cash will be much more rare. So as a trader I need to; find out what people want, get that stuff, and sell it for a high price to a PLAYER, no scripted NPC. I just love it, it's how all MMORPG's should be.:D

This is also where I think SW:G will be better then another upcoming MMORPG called World Of Warcraft.

Hmm.. one reason why the smart player is rewarded:

Health won't change, ever, aight?

In other games *cough* EQ *cough* the player at lvl 35 will ALWAYS defeat the player at lvl 15, no matter what. Because he will have some THOUSAND more hit points. No matter how much stealth or cunning the lower level player has, he can't win.

Now? A couple of blasts at the back by some ambushing thugs should take out even the high and mighty, if they fall for it.

HOPEFULLY, that is.

Well, you can always run away if that happens :)

But if it's true about the non-hp rise when you get better, this game is going to be better than I expected! I always thought it to be soooo unrealistic that players would not die, even when they got hit 4756 times with an axe...that just sucks.

Oh man, you just made waiting for this game a little harder for me :(

Archived