Home

I got my first Star War book today. Was it a good choice?

Pada-Wan

Have a few myself, got Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina when I got my copy of the OT on video - not the SE versions. Was very good to read about plenty of things about those that ended up in the cantina when Luke and Obi-Wan arrived. Was partly written by Kevin Anderson, who seems to have a good name with the Star Wars EU crowd.

Also have just got Episode 1, and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. Read the first chapter or two of the Episode 1 book, and some of the events in Episode 2 have a lot more significance.

I have just started to get into the books, so will have the OT novels soon to read...

Thrawn Trilogy sucks!!

Darksaber is a good choice for a first book, Kevin J. Anderson one of the best authors I have ever read, Also a good trilogy is the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson, and the Black Fleet Crisis by Mike P. Kube-McDowell. Best books I've read in Star Wars, X-Wing Series, 5 6 7 and 9 are written good. so are the rest but those ones have homour.

I, Jedi is a really good one as well. That has been the best one so far. The Jedi Academy Trilogy is also very good. I am reading the third book now. After that I am going to start the New Jedi Order series. I have a question for you guys though. People have mentioned that the books for the OT have slightly different things in them as well as the EP1 book. Are these worth reading? And is Shadows Of The Empire any good?

I think the first Timothy Zahn series is a good starter.

Then go to the Jedi Academy series.

From there you've got enough basis to read anything.

Books that I liked:

The Young Jedi Knights books (kiddy, I know, but love the plot)

DarkSaber

The Courtship of Princess Leia

The New Rebellion

Read these!

Splinter of the Minds Eye (The first ever star wars book, read it!!! Takes places between ANH and ESB)

Shadows of the Empire (awesome book, takes place between ESB and ROTJ)

I would say that you could have done worse. It's not bad for a KJA story. If you really enjoy it, move on to the Heir to the Empire Trilogy. If you don't like Heir to the Empire, you're evil, and therefore should be punished by reading the Jedi Academy Series, if you do like it then read: Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia, The X-Wing Series, I Jedi, The Hand of Thrawn Trilogy, The Bounty Hunter Wars, and the Tales books. You can read the other ones if you like repetitive garbage.

After you've gone down one of those paths, start the New Jedi Order.

Originally posted by Mr.Strike

I, Jedi is a really good one as well. That has been the best one so far. The Jedi Academy Trilogy is also very good. I am reading the third book now. After that I am going to start the New Jedi Order series. I have a question for you guys though. People have mentioned that the books for the OT have slightly different things in them as well as the EP1 book. Are these worth reading? And is Shadows Of The Empire any good?

I,Jedi is the Jedi Academy Trilogy in a way but in the Eyes Of Corran Horn.

Yes read Splinter of the Mind's Eye if your into Incest! but of course written right after Episode 4, Han Solo Trilogy is another goood one by A.C. Crispin, BTW anyone know if Why they only have Star By Star in Hardcover intill october while they have books after it in Paperback? And did Anakin Solo really die? I dont think he did because who's going to train ben?

Originally posted by Olin Valden

Yes read Splinter of the Mind's Eye if your into Incest! but of course written right after Episode 4, Han Solo Trilogy is another goood one by A.C. Crispin, BTW anyone know if Why they only have Star By Star in Hardcover intill october while they have books after it in Paperback? And did Anakin Solo really die? I dont think he did because who's going to train ben?

Yup, Anakin is dead, and who ever said he would be the one to train Ben?

The Han Solo Trilogy is definitely another good one.

If you want to got with the timeline

Thrawn Triliogy, by Timothy Zahn (very good!)

I)Heirs to the Empire

II) ???

III)The Last Command

The Jedi Academy Triliogy, by Kevin J. Anderson (good!)

I) Jedi Search

II) ???

III) Champions of the Force

The Young Jedi Knight Books (although they are crap)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

other books:

The Rogue Squadron series (soem nice step away from the typical Star Wars perspective, but as was said before it is very repeatative.)

I, Jedi (rogue Squadron offspring), (oh, well, could have been worse, but I am beginning to think that the emperor wasn't that successful with the Jedi Purge...)

Shadows of the Empire (suprisingly good book, taking into accound that it has an assassin-sex-droid in it)

Splinter of the Mind's Eye/Skywalker's Return (good book for its time, written back in the days after the first movie... yes, that's pre-tEsb and pre-RofJ!!!)

I really liked:

Shadow Hunter

&

Tales of the Bounty Hunters

Also the book several people have mentioned 'Shadows of the Empire' was pretty sweet.

The new series 'New Jedi Order' isnt bad but it was kinda...out there (?)

One of the weirdest I've read was 'The Crystal Star'

Does anyone know any good ones starring the Fetts at all?

Don't even start reading the SW books... I read them all up to Children of the Jedi (by the Force, that was a terrible book!), and quit for the longest time. Then, I read Kathy Tyre's The New Rebellion and it killed my love of SW literature forever. In Indianapolis, for Star Wars Celebration, I brought along Zahn's Heir to the Empire and it was pure agony. After seeing the real Star Wars universe, there's no going back to the crappy sci-fi of the EU.

And KJA is among the worst. He's superweapon-happy!

Well... i have about 35 star wars books and counting....

first one I read was Shadows of the Empire, I really liked that one, lots of action, my 10 yr old brother is reading it now.

after that it was all down hill.... I'm recommending the Younge Jedi Knights if you want an easy read, with cool characters (the children of princess leia) and interesting EU plots.

the Thrawn trilogy was okay, not my fav though.

Jedi Academy Trilogy was good too, thats where the SunCrusher fights a death star (check the other threads)

I really liked the Rogue Squadron Series (Corran Horn is cool), especially if you play some of the Space Sims from LucasArts (X-Wing, TIE-Fighter, and Alliance HIGHLY recommended).

It's really an aquired taste, if your a star wars maniac, you'll read as much as you can. The ones i really didn't like where Children of the Jedi and any of the others by Barbra Hamley (i think thats the author).

I'm in the middle of NJO right now... very interesting, but not recommened for the uninitiated. I'm looking for Stars End (i think thats what its called) but i need a paper back, and all i've found is hard cover, which is $40CDN.

P.S. Also highly recommending the Courtship of Princess Leia

here is a timeline for the books in SW:

in order from ANH:

YEAR title

---------------------------------------

BEFORE

44 jedi appentice series

33 darth maul: sabatuer

cloak of deception32.5 darth maul shadow hunter

32 EPISODE I

29 rogue planet

22.5 the approaching storm

22 EPISODE II

20 EPISODE III

10-0 han solo trilogy

5-2 the adventures of lando calrissian the han solo adventures

0 EPISODE IV

AFTER

0-3 tales of the mos eisley cantina

splinter of the minds eye

3 EPISODE V

tales of the bounty hunters

3.5 shadows of the empire

4 EPISODE VI

the truce at bakura

tales from jabba's palace

the bounty hunter wars

6.5-7.5 X-Wing series

8 the courtship of princess leia

9 X-wing: isard's revenge

the thrawn trilogy

11 i, jedi

the jedi academy trilogy

12-13 children of the jedi

darksaber

planet of twilight

X-Wing: starfighters of adumar

14 the crystal star

16-17 the black fleet crisis trilogy

17 the new rebellion

18 the corellian trilogy

19 hand of thrawn duology

22 junior jedi knights series

23-24 young jedi knights series

25-30 vector prime

dark tide I: onslaught

dark tide II: ruin

agents of chaos I: hero's trial

agents of chaos II: jedi eclipse

balance point

recovery

edge of victory I: conquest

edge of victory II: rebirth

star by star

dark journey

rebel dream

rebel stand

Trust me, get the Thrawn Trilogy - Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and the Last Command. They're all very good. Then, if you're into Han Solo, there are a few other options. One is the thick book called the Han Solo Adventures - it's really three books in one. It's sort of cheesy, but also interesting - it tells the tale of Han and Chewie before they hooked up with Luke and Obi-Wan on Tatooine. There is also a trilogy of Han Solo books about him when he was a young kid in his teens. Those aren't half bad either. The Jedi Academy trilogy is good too. Pretty much most of the books prior to the New Jedi Order are good, with a few exceptions. The Children of the Jedi was pretty weak, in my opinion, and another that escapes me at this moment.

Archived