Home

New Project by Bloodriot and Absath

Absath

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to say that I think this model is just excellent. A great piece of work, and I look forward to seeing the full Mod adventure. The quality you've shown and the support you're getting from the community implies this will be an excellent mod.

Having said that, I'd like to express an opinion with all kindness and respect...

Though I understand your reasons, I do think it a shame that you won't allow the community to skin this model with their own creations until your full mod has been released. With everybody hoping for a Jedi model in robes, now that one has been released - to not allow the community to use it seems a little strange.

I totally understand not wanting the character Tyrion himself to be used in another SP mod. But this would be an excellent model template for a QuiGon skin, or just about any other non-reborn/jeditrainer skin of a jedi. If you wanted to keep it exclusive from the community, then why release it in the first place? Just show the preview pictures until the full mod is released.

Understand, I love your work and am really looking forward to your final version - since it obviously is being done with taste and care. But I just wanted to express my feelings to you about releasing the model and then telling the community not to use it. I would recommend just holding on to the stuff you don't want to share until the full project is finished from now on.

Or at least consider skins of your model created by others on an individual basis. A good ObiWan or QuiGon skin wouldn't hurt your mods acceptance in the community at this point. Just an opinion.

I look forward to your full release, and thanks for the time.

:)

Well, I doubt that teasing the community with screenshots for a couple of months while the mod is in development will make them as happy as actually playing with pieces of it along the way....

And for me, a side benefit is that it disallows skins like qui-gonn and obi-wan to be put over our model. Just because he wears a robe, does not make him every jedi in the galaxy. The model is not meant to be Obi-Wan or Qui-gonn, so frankly i wouldnt like to see it skinned that way. It's the same as someone wanting to skin our Fett models as a clonetrooper =P its just cheesy and half-assed. wait for the models. there is an excellent padawan/jedi Obi-wan combo in the works over at the modeling forum.

But, now that I've explained the reasons for not wanting it done, Bloodriot and I have decided to do Tyrion over again, with a sharper model and skin, since we're going all out with this SP mod and we want ti to be top notch. So consider this Tyrion a beta version...a v0.5 if you will. And you are free to skin it as it pleases you.

-Abs

You're going to redo the model? Wow, you guys are perfectionists...

Don't get too lost in the details though. From what I've seen and heard from you two so far, it's going to be an excellent mod. It will never be perfect or good enough since you are so intimately close to it - so just try to remember that it's better than you think it is. I'm not saying to not do the best you can... just be aware of the temptation to over-produce something and get caught up in the details that nobody but you will ever notice. I'm a recording artist/producer for a living, and this is the biggest downfall of most heart-felt recording projects. They try to be so slick and perfect that part of the initial creative fire gets lost in the details.

Just a friendly reminder... a vote of encouragement to trust yourself.

And thanks for allowing us to skin the beta Tyrion. I agree that having a specific QuiGon or Obiwan model is ideal - but 95% of us out here don't have access to 3DSmax and Softimage to make them. So we rely on talented individuals like yourselves to share with us... and most of you guys are currently involved in more creative projects than making models for non-original characters. I would be too...

Thanks again, and take it light.

:)

I know that I'm a poor idiot for not owning this game yet. But I have the demo and would really like to see what this is all about. Is there anyway that I can do that? The demo has one pk3 that all the files are in. no other folders. I would really be grateful for any help. thank you.

Weee.... a model that looks like me! That's excellent!

I really love the robe thingie, cool addition.

Actually, I love it so much I'd wish you guys could let it be the standard model in your newer version. So you wouldn't have to type something in the console each time you'd want to cover his body with a warm blanket.... :rolleyes:

Well, we have to redo Tyrion mainly so we can add facial animations. And we figure while we're at it, we may as well tweak a couple of things here and there. There are a couple of wierd warps on the uvmaps that i had to skin around, and you'll probably find them when you try and reskin...so we want to redo them as well.

We are perfectionists, this is true. We love doing these just for the sake of doing them, but we are also trying to put together a portfolio, which has to show our best work ;)

And you should go check out the qui-gonn and obi-wan models by tex on the modeling forum. they look stunning, and may change your mind about settling for a mere skin.

-Abs

Archived