Home

Will there be a Jedi Knight 2?

StormHammer

From what I've heard, Obi-Wan is simply going to be another TPM game, which for me is disappointing. I would have liked to have seen a story about Obi-Wan - I've started reading the Jedi Apprentice books (yes, I know they're meant for teenagers wink.gif ) and the stories are actually quite good. I think there would have been scope to make this the next original Jedi Knight game - but I don't think that's going to happen.

Which leaves me with a burning question: Will there be a Jedi Knight 2 (or technically Dark Forces III?).

The story would have to be original (not taken from any of the movies) because that is what defined Dark Forces I and II. They expanded on the Star Wars universe and introduced us to some new characters with their own agendas. These are the elements that are missing in Obi-Wan if it is just another TPM game. If you've seen the film, you know all of the characters and the plot. So what's the point of playing a game when you know the outcome? That's why I didn't even consider getting TPM.

I think there's a lot of scope to make Dark Forces III. They could continue the story about Mara Jade - perhaps the Emperor comes back to haunt her, or something, and she has to lay her past to rest.

I know there are a lot of Mods out there with their own mini-stories - but another full game with a deeper story (complete with more great cut scenes to advance the plot) would be well worthwhile.

Just a thought smile.gif

------------------

===============

Quote: 'I have a very bad feeling about this.'

Guest Darth Kurgan

Trust me, we've all been wondering about DF 3 since MOTS came out.

What happens to Jan Ors? Does Mara Jade become a Jedi Master? What happens to Kyle?

I'd like to see an "alternate universe" type of game where Kyle chooses the Dark Path and we go from there.

But, I think we'll have to wait until ObiWan comes out before we can start thinking about the sequal to JK. Some have speculated that LEC is working on that game right now, but we have no evidence to back that up (and they may just be referring to ObiWan anyway).

Kurgan

Actually, I hope any further game doesn't feature Mara Jade.

Don't get me wrong, she's my favourite character, bar none, but her life story is already so well mapped out (via various novels, comics, short stories, flashbacks, and MotS) that nothing can be done with her until the NJO-era.

I think any followup game should involve Kyle, Jan (I really miss her, we need a non-Jedi around to put everything in perspective), and Kyle's students (after JK, he would've been a Master).

I didn't like MotS all that much. There seemed to be almost no real link to the events of JK.

------------------

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb

Hey BeastMaster, that gives me an idea. Why don't we have a bash at coming up with a possible storyline for Jedi Knight 2 ourselves? I've knocked together one possible scenario. Here goes...

Kyle has become a Jedi master with his own apprentices. He is asked to go on a peace-keeper mission by the New Republic, but the whole thing is a trap and he is captured by Imperials who have an Ysalimiri. He is drugged and taken to a secret research facility where they implant a mind-control mechanism. The imperials use Kyle under mind control to assassinate key figures of the New Republic, and everyone thinks he has turned to the Dark Side. He ‘attracts’ Dark Jedi apprentices. Available Light Jedi are despatched to stop the rogues at any costs – which means killing them of course – including Kyle.

Meanwhile, Jan Ors keeps faith with her old comrade, and knows deep in her heart that Kyle can’t have turned to the Dark Side. She sets out on a quest to discover what has happened to Kyle, and she starts poking her nose around in the seedier dens of the universe to try and find some clues to where Kyle is and what was done to him.

She has to steal/buy a suitable ship (maybe an old YT-3000 Corellian freighter?) because the Moldy Crow was destroyed, and go undercover as a smuggler/pirate/ undesirable.

She has managed to convince one of Kyle’s Jedi apprentices to help her, and together they must try to get to Kyle before the other Jedi. They meet some of these other Jedi along the way, and try to convince them of Kyle’s innocence. They also meet some of the Dark Jedi apprentices, with whom the Lightside apprentice must do battle.

Jan has managed to capture an Imperial Scout Droid and she has given it a mind-wipe so that it is now working for her. She sends it ahead to mark out dangerous territory when she is on a mission.

Jan does NOT have anything to do with the force – but the Jedi apprentice does. She has to rely on conventional weapons – ‘a good blaster at her side’ – to take down her enemies. The Jedi apprentice mostly uses his/her lightsabre.

Variations on a theme – the apprentice could be the main character, and seeks out Jan Ors to help him/her.

------------

I'll put my brain on the back-burner and try to cook up some more scenarios. I just hope I don't end up with a boiled brain wink.gif

Just a thought smile.gif

------------------

===============

Quote: 'I have a very bad feeling about this.'

Guest solo_anakin

That is a cool plot idea. Would make a great game. The post about Mara is right as well, too much of her life is known (especcially after the 2 Zahn books..) to make another game with.

Guest Qui-Gon Jinn

Why don't you just make that story into an episode? Its a lot more promising to make the level for Jedi Knight instead of hoping LEC would make the story out of a new game.

------------------

http://www.JediKnight.8k.com

"Be Mindful of the Living Force." - Qui-Gon Jinn

Actually, the last time I dabbled at major editing was to try a MotS TC that replaced Mara Jade with a character of my own creation; Alyssa Rahn.

Before Qu Rahn was killed (in the JK cutscene) he was hunted down by Maw, Sariss and Yun. Rahn knew that Jerec (and his ilk) would be after him, so he hid his infant daughter (her mother died in battle shortly after Alyssa was born) before being captured.

Alyssa grew up on the streets of _____ (I never named the planet), making a living as a pickpocket and courier.

Eventually, Rahn appears to Kyle in a dream-vision and tells him of Alyssa. She has now reached the age (19 standard years) where her Force abilities will begin manifesting, and it is time for Kyle to begin her training. . .

------------------

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb

Guest Darth Kurgan

Well you have two choices, JKEdit and JED. I suggest you TRY both before deciding. Perhaps you can use both. I know there's so many resources (and testimonials) about JED, but I've heard enough people complain that it's too complicated for them. Give JKEdit a try! (if it doesn't work out, you can also go back to JED!)

www.magicforce.com

Kurgan

Archived