Home

Petition for Dark Forces III

StormHammer

well,i was nothing really.i was just a game tester.what i did was just play the game before the product came out and tested it.i decided whether to edit it or go ahead and relese it.

------------------

sw-lukedarth.jpg George Lucas:"buy my products!make me money!"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jedi-Qui-Gon

I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan is the sequal to Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, but i'm sure they will still make another one that follows the path of Kyle Katarn.

------------------

quigon.jpg

[This message has been edited by Jedi-Qui-Gon (edited June 04, 2000).]

Guest Kurgan

That sounds about right. I don't know a whole lot about it. I once receieved an offer to become a beta tester (years and years ago) but never got a response back. Guess they didn't need my help! But it offered about $9 an hour.

ObiWan is not a sequel to any of the Dark Forces games. It is a PREQUEL to the DarkForces series (as LEC has said). It is billed as the "NEXT JEDI GAME" and "in the TRADITION of Dark Forces and Jedi Knight."

It's not a true sequel and has nothing to do at all story or character wise to the other games (the only similarity being some of the gameplay and the fact that it takes place in the SW universe).

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited June 04, 2000).]

Guest The-Rogue-Jedi

Hi guys. I'm new here. Anyway I totally agree on a true sequel to Jedi Knight. One that may equal or go beyond what Jedi Knight was for me.

------------------

In search for the true sequel to Jedi Knight.

Guest Jedi-Qui-Gon

I hate to argue with you, Kurgan, but i got this off the Lucas Arts site:

"DARK FORCES SERIES RETURNS

In Star Wars: Episode I Obi-Wan, players will control the destiny of one of the galaxy's greatest heroes.

The May issue of PC Gamer, which is beginning to ship this week, provides an extensive look at the continuation of the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series."

------------------

quigon.jpg

[This message has been edited by Jedi-Qui-Gon (edited June 10, 2000).]

Guest Dave Maul

I haven't really played JK or MOTS very much (A few levels here and there, and a few multiplayer games 'round a friend's house), but a DF3 would appeal to me greatly. From what I have seen, the series has been getting better, and I for one would like to see what happens to the characters in one of the best games ever.

Guest Kurgan

I hate to break it to you, but ObiWan cannot be called a sequel in any sense of the word, and LEC doesn't either.

They don't call it a sequel. Just a continuation of tradition.

That's like saying that Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is a "continuation of the beloved Tomb Raider series" and "the successor to the glorious Tomb Raider."

Both of those statements are technically correct, however Indy5 is not a sequel to Tomb Raider, just that the gameplay is very similar and such.

But a sequel? No. Why not?

1) It has nothing to do with any of the characters that appear in any of the Dark Forces games.

2) It takes place long before any of the principle characters were even born.

ObiWan is based on a MOVIE. Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors (and Jerec, Yun, Sariss, Maw, Pic, Gorc, Boc, etc) were original Expanded Universe characters created for the game.

ObiWan is a seperate game. Calling ObiWan a "continuation" of Dark Forces is just a marketing ploy. It's just a fancy way of saying the gameplay is similar.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but that's how it is. Dark Forces 3 would be a sequel. ObiWan is, if anything, a prequel.

Kurgan

Guest Saesee Tom

DF III would be brilliant!

Who, what and where would it take place.

KK or MJ still as the main player(s)?

Guest Kurgan

Well, technically, I really really like the element of "choice" involved in JK.

That is, I like how you can, even when given Kyle Katarn's history, choose to follow good or evil. It's a classic tale of black and white, good guys vs. bad guys.

MOTS forces you to be the good guys and do what the good guys do.

I would have liked it better if, you could choose your destiny, for example, in the end, choose to kill Kyle or to trust that there is good in him and that he will "come back." And have a different ending.. or something else, other than the pre-determined path. But.. that didn't happen.

So this is what I'd like to see, an "alternate universe" game that begins where JK left off, if Kyle had turned to the Dark Side.

Kyle has just become the new Emperor (though he has not crushed all resistence, he has merely claimed the title for himself and captured the Imperial Palace and claimed Jerec's army). Sariss is his second in command.

In the game you will follow the Dark Path and ultimately control Kyle and Sariss. Missions could include wiping out resistance (New Republic, Jedi, traitors within your own ranks, etc). At some point you could also be given a choice, such as whether or not to continue being an Emperor, and continue to fight the remaining rebels, or to give up the throne, in favor of the Light Side (and thus have to sabotage your minions), or as Sariss, to try to usurp the throne from Dark Emperor Kyle.

There's just so many possibilites.

I know everybody wants a game where you control Darth Maul, but I think this idea would play out the other untold chapter in Kyle Katarn's history. The "what if" that MOTS did not address.

Of course it would also be cool to see a "continuing adventures of Kyle Katarn." There's alot they could do with that too. What happens to Jan? I figure she and Kyle hook up. What else would happen? I suppose it could tie in with later Expanded Universe stuff.

I guess I just want to see a "Dark Jedi" game more than anything, and having Kyle as the Emperor would be pretty neat.

It could have a bit of a crossover with MOTS, in that as Emperor Kyle, you realize that your Jedi Training is incomplete, and even though you have all this power with the Valley of the Jedi, you don't fully understand the knowledge needed to CONTROL it. So, you seek out rumors of a hidden Sith Temple on Dromuun Kaas.

Thus, players could revisit (in more detail) some familiar locations from Mysteries of the Sith. I always wondered what happened to Kyle while Mara was seeking him out. Perhaps he had to fight many battles to control the dark powers of the Temple.

I could ramble on and on.. but that's my spin. Dark Forces III would be an even bigger task than ObiWan, but at least ObiWan will help them test the waters and get a better idea of how to make an even better Jedi game.

Kurgan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GoTMaLK

Nice long explanation there. I like it...ooooooh evil!!! Anywayz, this is my 2-cents on this petition thing. Hmmm...i wonder what would happen if you mixed the matrix and jk...i dont know, weird idle thoughts. Ah, whatever.

------------------

0~GoTMaLK~0

i want my moo moo!

What? There's an ON button?!

Guest Lord Malice

True dat y'all! Lucas Arts, bring us Dark Forces III now, or else. I think it would be a kool idea for the game if there were two different campaigns in the beginning. One for when you take the light path in Jedi Knight. And one where you take the Dark Path in Jedi Knight. That would be kool cuz it could be two different stories intertwining eachother. Like what would happen if Kyle were on the Dark Side during the story and a what would happen if Kyle were on the Light Side during the story. Or, you could play as Katarn and then as some Dark Jedi off and on to learn the story from two different perspectives.

What y'all think?

------------------

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that

leads to complete obliteration. I must face my fear. I must let my fear pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone, I will turn and look back into it's path, and only I will remain. In this very breath we take now, lies the secret that all teachers try to tell us.

Fear....fear is our ally." -Lord Malice

Archived