Home

Why????

Guest Orbvs_Terrarvm

Guest Orbvs_Terrarvm

I am sure the quesiton has been asked before but I would like to know why JK/MOS only supported 4 players per game for MP?

If LEC made the game support up to 20 per game I am telling you someone would have come along with a bad Star Wars team play MOD. Imagine Rebellion vs Empire...

Here are some teamplay maps(for those of you who like to wish what could have been):

Death Star Plans (Empire must keep Rebellion from stealing Death Star plans and getting back to their starting point)

Escape (Relive the opening scene of A New Hope each level begins with Empire boarding the Corellian Corvette carrying the Death Star plans Rebellion must fight off the Empire long enough to get plans into an escape pod and launch it)

Hoth (Rebellion must keep Snowtroopers at bay until all ships evacuate)

Battle of Endor (Rebellion must plant bomb inside the sheild generator)

Obiwan Kenobi (one person plays Obiwan and everyone else plays Empire. Obi must turn off the tractor beam inside the Death Star holding the millinium falcon. People playing Obiwan rotates whenever Obiwan dies. Now that would be bad. 1 Jedi vs 19 Storm Troopers!!)

Ord Mantell (Bounty Hunter with Imperial help tries to capture Han Solo who is protected by

Rebel forces. Rebels must help han escape)

*just for kicks*

Sandcrawler (Jawas defend themselves against the Empire searching for stolen droids. Map set in the Dune Sea with a Sandcrawler. Lets see jawas kick some Imperial butt!)

Bespin (Leah, Chewbacca, R2D2, Lando, and some of his security try to get to the Falcon. At various points in the map, the person playing R2 can hook up to the central computer and open and close doors thourghout the map forces the pursing Imperial forces to to go another route or take time to hot wire a door)

Sorry I meant for this to be a simple question and got carried away... who knows... maybe when Obi comes out does anyone want to start a MOD???? wink.gif

Guest Argath

It supports more than four players; up to sixteen, if I recall correctly, though it is entirely possible that I am incorrect. At any rate, you're never going to realistically be able to play in a game that large over the internet, simply due to how JK is set up. Peer-to-peer networking isn't exactly optimal for massive games with dozens of players; Obi-wan, however, should be excellent for the type of games you described.

Guest Kurgan

Technically, JK and MOTS are both capable of 32 players maximum. 32 for CTF/KFY, and 16 for deathmatch.

However, the SUPPORTED number of players is basically eight for either game, and that's over a LAN connection.

So, you can have as many players as you want (up to 32) but LEC makes no guarentees that you will be able to have more than 8 without problems, on the best connections.

That's how I understand it anyhow.

How *well* a large number of players were supported would depend both on the connections of all the players, as well as the level. The level would need to have adequete space for the players, and enough spawn points so that you don't have people appearing on top of one another all the time.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited May 24, 2000).]

Guest Tycho_Celchu

You can have many more than 4 players in a game -- it's only the IGZ that limits you to four. I can remember one game of Baron's Head RPG at Massassi (don't I seem to mention that place every time I post?) that must have had about 9 different players on at the same time, and luckily without too much lag.

Guest Kurgan

Back in my LAN days, I can recall joining JK games (on Canyon Oasis no less) that had 15 players (I was the fifteenth to join).

However, I'm sure the host was on a slow connection, or something, because I always got lagged out, and then disconnected.

The biggest games I played at the best times were eight players, and that had a bit of lag, but it was fully playable, as everyone had a fast connection.

Kurgan

Archived