Home

jediBoard

ReAcToR

I didn't get a response on the feedback forum, so I'll try it out here...

I've noticed that for quite some time now, the jediBoard (JK/MotS and XWA), hasn't been operational. I'm curious as to whether or not the staff intends to fix the error or if they're planning on killing it off. I've been using the jediBoard for years and there are still many of us out there that would like to continue using it. If you folks are unable to fix it due to time or lack of knowledge, maybe you could let me take a look at the CGI/HTML files and see what I can come up with. I'm no expert when it comes to CGI/Perl but I will learn if that's what it will take to get the jediBoard back up. If I'm unable to fix the problem myself, I'll seek help from a few programmer friends of mine. Please respond here or e-mail me at badimo@bellsouth.net.

Long live the jediBoard! Long live QTracker!

I e-mailed Ron Mercer, the mastermind behind Qtracker this morning and I already received a response. Below is our conversation through e-mail.

My message to him:

I'm a long time fan of Qtracker, I've used it for multiple games in the past, but now that I'm home for summer break from college, I download Qtracker and try to play my favorite 2 games, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith and I soon to discover that those games no longer work with Qtracker for some odd reason. I remembered that they used to ping the servers that were posted on the old jediBoard at http://www.jediknight.net/servers but when I try to go there and add a game using that method, it doesn't work either. This leads me to believe that there is some sort of error with the CGI files over at http://www.jediknight.net and that is why Qtracker won't work with these games as well. I've contacted them on their feedback forum about the error but they don't seem interested in responding. I understand that this is no fault of your own, but I was hoping, that since you thanked the creator of the jediBoard in your Author Info (Danbeck), that you may have some way of contacting him to ask him to fix the error or that you would be able to yourself. I understand that there aren't as many people playing these old games that I play, as there are playing newer games, but there are a few of us left out here that enjoy using Qtracker/jediBoard more than the Zone or Gamespy Arcade and would very much appreciate it if this kick-ass combo were to work again.

His response:

ReAcToR,

Ah, thanks for sticking with me for so long. :) Dan and I keep in touch quite often and he's been aware of the issue for awhile now and hasn't resolved it. He intends to, but he's busy.

I just released a program called QtUplink which we could use instead of the jediBoard. It would need to be modified to work with JK and MotS, but it could easily be done. Actually, I put this on my to-do list last week. :) I had planned on releasing a new version after I got Neverwinter Nights so I can confirm my support works with the retail version which just hit the stores.

QtUplink is easy to install and use. You just launch it, pick the type of server you plan to run, specify your geographic region, minimize it and forget about it. As long as QtUplink is running, whenever it detects you've got a server running it will automatically post it to the Qtracker Masters so Qtracker users will see it. Best of all, it only posts active servers, unlike jediBoard.

Anyways, I think that's probably the best solution since I wrote the program and can control it. I'll update it and get a new QtUplink out this weekend.

Thanks for writing.

---

Ron Mercer

the_DM-Ohio

http://www.qtracker.com

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to get any of the major JK news sites to post the news...at least not yet, so I'll just do it the old-school way, flooding the related forums with the news.

E-Mail from Ron Mercer:

FYI. I've added JediKnight and MotS to QtUplink. I should be releasing a new version of Qtracker and QtUplink by Wednesday at the latest. I'm just trying to tie up some loose ends before I release it.

There you have it. Qtracker will once again be the easiest/quickest way to host/join a game for the community. Hopefully the major JK news sites eventually post my news that I've e-mailed them. Later is better than never, I suppose.

Archived