Home

Riva TNT and JK

Guest Darth_Simpson

Guest Darth_Simpson

I recently changed my video card from a Voodoo 1 to a Riva TNT with 16 MB of RAM. I then went to play JK, and the performance is horrible. Both in 3d-accel mode and software mode. Why? Riva TNT is much better than Voodoo 1. I tried changing the drivers, reinstalling DirectX and I am certain I removed the old grapichs card from the system. What should I do?

------------------

Hunger leads to donuts...

Jedi.jpg

Guest The_Gamesta

Err...He did not mean 16Meg for his computer he ment a 16Meg Vid card...Hey you might want to test the card on a diff game to see if it works ro make sure you took all the old drivers off...and that the new vid card is pluged in....Some of the cards out there the game dose not support...I hope this helps you..

Guest Darth_Simpson

Damn, just found out that the RIVA TNT chipset is not supported by JK. ****, **** and damn. I hate that. Is it any patches that fix this?

------------------

Jedi.jpg

Guest The_Gamesta

Man that sucks...I dont know of any patches but the joystick patch...I dont think there is one...sorry

------------------

yoda2.gifTake home you I will

Guest Kurgan

I guess you could try a Glide wrapper...

I dunno. I know the TNT 2 is supposed to work with the right drivers.

Did you try it normal or with the 1.01 update?

I do know there is a console command to mess with the video modes (moreso than usual), but I only saw it on one site a long time ago.. I forget what it was.

Anybody know the console command?

It might simply be "video" or "display" or something like that.

Kurgan

Guest Argath

Glide wrappers just translate Glide calls into another API so non-3dfx owners can play Glide games. JK is a Direct3D game, so such a wrapper couldn't be used.

The TNT is supported by JK, despite what Lucasarts says. Try one of the different driver versions on nvidia's or your manufacturer's website to see if the game works any better that way. I recall some Lucasarts games having issues with Detonator drivers, and I'm not positive that the newer versions work correctly.

However, I doubt it's driver related. Try running JK with the -debug (not sure if that's correct) switch, which will enable an advanced menu under video options. From there, be sure everything is selected correctly and try the game again. I've seen similar problems solved that way, so hopefully that will remedy the situation.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited May 04, 2000).]

Guest Darth_Simpson

Ok, ill try that! Thanks for the help fellas, I appreciate it!

------------------

Jedi.jpg

Guest The_Gamesta

Hey man read thin I think it will help I think you can use your new card. smile.gif hole it hleps! Another thing that most 3d cards support is colored lighting. JK itself doesn't have colored lighting, but it's addon pack, Mysteries of the Sith, does. You may have to check the "enable colored lighting" box in the display options to see it. Colored lighting really makes the game and the engine look a lot nicer.

On a last note, some computers (especially ones that use 3dfx Voodoo series cards) have a separate 3d card. For instance, someone may have a RivaTNT card as their primary 2d card, which also has a 3d core. Attached to this could be a Voodoo 2 3d accelerator card. People do this often in order to play games that only support 3dfx glide based 3d acceleration. By enabling JK's advanced display configuration menu, you can choose which 3d core (in this example, the Riva or the Voodoo) JK uses. You can only use one at a time. In order to enable the advanced menu, you will have to run JK from the command line. Click Start, then Run then the following:

C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\Jedi Knight\jk.exe -displayconfig

This is assuming that JK is installed in the default directory. If not, you will have to type in your directory structure. For example, if JK was installed in C:\Jedi, you would type: C:\Jedi\jk.exe -displayconfig. Remember, Windows/DOS is not case sensitive, so C:\JeDi is the same as C:\JEDI and c:\jedi.

Once you have started JK, just go to the display menu once again, and towards the bottom, there will be an "Advanced Options" button. Once you go in there, there are all kinds of options, but the only one that will help you is the box that allows you to choose which 3d card you use. Primary Display Driver will be your main 2d card, or your main 2d/3d card, whichever you have. Under that, if you have a separate 3d accelerator, you will see it listed. Just click on it, press OK, and JK will use that one from now on (unless you go back and uncheck then recheck the 3d box - if that's the case, you will have to reset the display as outlined above). The advanced options tab will only show up if you start JK with the -displayconfig switch.

Guest Argath

My apologies, -devmode was the switch I was thinking of. Like -displayconfig, it will enable the advanced menu under video options, allowing you to modify some extra options. Since you removed the Voodoo Graphics card already, I'm not sure whether this will fix anything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Guest Darth_Simpson

Ok, I got it working now, but I didnt try what The_Gamesta explained to me. I just installed 128MB of RAM and now it works perfectly in 3d mode. Thanks for the help anyway!

------------------

Jedi.jpg

Guest Argath

Just out of curiosity, how much memory did you have beforehand? On slower computers, TNT cards occasionally don't perform as well as many other cards (including the older Voodoo Graphics), but it's odd that performance was horribly worse.

Guest Kurgan

-displayconfig, that's what I was thinking of. Been so long, I just couldn't remember.

Kurgan

Guest Krayt Tion

I've got a Riva TNT and JK runs silky smoove on my PII350 with 128 MB RAM. Back when I had 64 MB RAM is ran smoothly too.

Guest Darth_Talon

JK runs really smoothly on my PIII 450 with voodoo 3 3000AGP with 320mb ram and 40x cd drive....it looks great on a 21" monitor

------------------

Talon3.jpg

"Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb."

-Dark Helmet to LoneStar (Spaceballs)

Archived