Home

GBA versions of LucasArts Gold

mxbx

I assume by this Mr. Jeffries has said they are releasing LucasArts Gold on GBA? That could be old classics, like Maniac Mansion and Zak. They released Spy vs. Spy, so stranger things have happened. Maybe retro is in, I dunno. Sounds cool anyway. Have LucasArts ever released anything on GBA?

THQ does LucasArts' GBA development, which is SCARY.

Revolution recently ported their adventure classic, Broken Sword, to GBA. It was buggy but was an awesome concept (and mostly well executed except for the bugs).

I'd love to see LEC (or have them contract someone like Revolution) port some of their older games to GBA. I think they'd do well. If you get stuck, you just save and put it in your pocket... then if you have an idea you can pull it right out and go instantly. Doesn't matter if you're on the bus, etc etc.

Yes, the Borkone Swords will all make it to GBA, but while I played them I realized how much fun it would be to have such games as Sam&Max or DOTT on GBA.

Currently, I'm working with a team of individuals to produce a GBA adventure game. Right now, we only have 3 artists, 2 designers, and 1 programmer who's already working 2 other jobs. But fear not! My proximity to a Computer Science department & the ease with which I make beautiful, eye-catching flyers will surely get this train moving.

If anyone is interested in black metal, please contact:

perplexagon@letterboxes.org

Right now, we're working with a freely available dev kit. Those can be found at GBAdev.org.... eventually, we may be forced to purchase an official kit from Nintendo. I hear they're close to $10,000 though, so that will have to wait for a huge bank loan or an advance from a publisher. More than likely the latter.

If, in the end, we are unable to find a publisher, we will more than likely make a Windows version of the game and release it ourselves. Trust me, it's gonna be a gem.

Again, if anyone is interested in horse racing, please contact:

perplexagon@letterboxes.org

Oh, about the whole "rom scene"... I believe that the GBA is one of the worst modern systems as far as piracy is concerned. (Aside, of course, from PCs) The games are so small (file-size wise) and run on nearly any modern computer. Hopefully, companies will be able to figure out some clever scheme to detect whether or not the game is being played on the actual system and with an actual cartridge. This will at least deter the novice pirates for the length of time it takes for a game to make the majority of it's money. Especially games made by independent developers like Revolution. If they don't make anything off Broken Sword, publishers like Bam! won't lay down the mad scrilla it takes to release a 2d adventure game on the GBA. And it is my secret hope that the GBA will someday make 2d adventures hip with the kiddos. Or kid with the hippos.

I disagree with your assessment of the GBA piracy scene. $200+ is a huge investment for most GBA players. I think the number of people with ROM flashers and the like is very very small, and the people who play the ROMs on their PC's are people who wouldn't be buying the GBA carts anyway. I mean, most people buy GBA's and the games for the portability, not for the games themselves. Most of the best GBA games can be played on a SNES on the television.

Systems like the Dreamcast, where anyone can burn a cd on their PC and have it play perfectly in the original system - for like $2 - are the ones that pose a legitimate thread as far as piracy goes. Still, only a small number of people did that with the DC, though I guess it was enough to actually hurt sales. GBA is making retardedly high amounts of money, and if I'm not mistaken, most of GBA's profit comes from software sales?

mxbx: you could also try to cut a deal with a company or something that already has a GBA dev kit. I know that my college has the official GBA dev stuff for any students who wants to produce games for that platform.

Archived