Home

Throw Spamming

Zan Jaseen

If you don't want to hear a rant skip this thread :) However I'm sure post farmers won't be able to resist.

Well I've been at this game for a few weeks now but today takes the cake. Server after server I went to today I repeatedly ran into people who throw every other move. With 1 force point in jump it's impossible to kick these guys and if you try to engage the take a step back and throw. It is highly effective especially cause they seem to have their timing perfect. The only way to fight people like this is to try and beat them at their own game (which was extrememly unfun) I did not enjoy this at all and after running into this in several servers I have to just call it quits for the day.

I am by no means an expert. I have intermediate skills and by no means a Padawan either. However fighting no skill people like this server after server just ruins any fun possible.

In some servers, the only thing you can do is beat these types of players at there own game or get lucky kills. That's why i join another server or beat em at their own game :p

In the servers you talk about, they exploit saber throw because they've found it's the best way to get kills there. Same thing for kick'ers on the ones with throw disabled and jump enabled. People will always try spam the easiest/most effective kill tactic based on the server restrictions. I just find a server I like, ie: NF SO with Jump enabled...I like kicking :)

I agree that people who abuse throw are extremely "unfun".

However, there are many ways to counter throw...yada yada yada.

I'm not getting into this :D We've had that before.

I would like to state once more, that saber throw in multiplayer is not very starwars-ish, because in the movies, no one throws their saber like that (over and over and over again). It would be better if you could lose the saber like in single player, that it would fall to the ground and turn itself off sometimes.

I am afraid, you can only keep looking for servers where it does not happen that much. I was already very pissed off, too and spent much time looking for a server where jump was enabled but throw wasn't. I finally gave up and went back to my regular servers and all of a sudden, people didn't abuse throw anymore (just happened to be nice peolpe on the server I guess) and the game was fun again....

Just keep on looking... ;)

Server i like for FFA NF SO is HBC, listed on the ingame server browser. Usually cool people on there, but can be hard to get in sometimes because it's busy. Admins are great, and I like that fact that they kick people who dont follow the rules, ie Saber Off=Peace. Jump is enabled, but not throw.

Well... there are better things to do than kick someone out because they're not playing the way you like. The best thing to do is to find a way to defend yourself against their tactics. Once you've got that they'll give up and try something else.

"the tactics for countering throw simply involve standing still facing the thrower (assuming they arent using pull) and waiting for them to make a mistake. throw makes the game boring."

On a NF server, no pull :p Anyways, no saber chucker is going to throw while you stand still. They wait for you to swing or start a swing, then roll away + throw. Roll leaves them out of harms way and you with 30 less HP.

Even if they DO decide to spam saber throw, when their out of force they simply run backwords away from you till they gain force to throw again. You can't gain on them since they move just as fast as you backwords, and if you do somehow catch them (or try to saber throw them), they parry it away :)

Rolling to gain on them isn't exactly a perfect idea. Way to easy to backstab a roller (or just jump and start up in another direction).

A dedicated boomerang chucker will be happy standing still waiting for YOU to attack. The winner of a duel is the guy with the most health, or whoever was the previous winner. So if you don't go after him, he'll win by default when times up :( Learned that the hard way when someone was camping on that cliff duel level -_-

Blank

Well although, I don't believe in constantly throwing my saber . . I do believe in hitting an open spot . . . Hence; you use red attacks and bring your saber over your head, and I will toss my saber into your exposed belly. you try death from above, and I will toss a saber at the back of your head when you land . . . I do believe it can be over used, but I will hit vulnerable spots if you are generous enough to offer them . . :)

Also someone mentioned that the throw wasn't in any Star Wars movies . . WRONG . . the empire strikes back in the fight scene where Vader fights Luke in the freezing chamber. Also they pushed this "FORCE" power with the Star Wars Nintendo 64 games where you could learn this trick on that side scrolling game . . .

Originally posted by Dark_ZONE

Also someone mentioned that the throw wasn't in any Star Wars movies . . WRONG . . the empire strikes back in the fight scene where Vader fights Luke in the freezing chamber. Also they pushed this "FORCE" power with the Star Wars Nintendo 64 games where you could learn this trick on that side scrolling game . . .

he didn't say that the move itself wasn't in any of the movies, he said that throwing it over and over again wasn't in any of the movies

Originally posted by Dark_ZONE

Also someone mentioned that the throw wasn't in any Star Wars movies . . WRONG . . the empire strikes back in the fight scene where Vader fights Luke in the freezing chamber.

Like kanga already said: I didn't say it's not in the movies at all. In fact you quoted the one and only scene where a saber is thrown. And there it is to bring down the catwalk, Luke is standing on, not even trying to hit Luke directly. If you saw AOTC already, note how much Obi-Wan insists on having to take good care about the saber "This weapon is your life!" (Obi-Wan to Anakin). Anakin constantly gets his butt kicked from Obi-Wan because he keeps losing his saber. So it is definately NOT Jedi-like to throw the saber all over the place. Ah, by the way, you can even say: "NO JEDI ever throws his saber in any Star Wars movie so far!" (Vader is Sith!) :D I would even go so far as to say: Saber throw is typical for Vader/Anakin: Anakin never really cared about his saber very much (as seen in AOTC) so thats why he even starts throwing it about, something no other Jedi would ever do.

*getting back to topic :D *

Look at the way saber throw is handled in single player: when your opponent parries the throw away, the saber almost every time falls to the floor (at least on Jedi Master level) and has to be retrieved. It should be the same way in MP, that would put the thrower at some risk. A risk that he at the moment definately does NOT have. Also, it is ridiculous, that a thrown saber cannot be affected by force push. Heh, you can push a rocket back to your opponent, but you cannot push a thrown saber so that it falls to the ground?! Ridiculous.

Backpedaling, throwing and rolling can be done without ever risking to get hit (if done properly). A good throw spammer wins any duel like that, a bad throw spammer makes a duel last forever (which is bad enough).

Dea is right.

What people always confuse is "no skill" and "lame tactic".

Not necessarily is a lame tactic always executable with no skill at all.

In case of saber throw I believe that there are some pretty skilled saber throwers out there.

As stated before this tactic can also be performed with little skill but you'll know a skilled thrower when you meet one. In this case, the fun is still ruined completely. A skilled thrower who makes no mistakes, maybe combines throws with pull), you can't beat him. (You know: throw a saber and then pull with the correct timing, when you counter the pull and lift your arm, you cannot counter the throw -->> unblockable hit. This is a known and exploited bug)

So you may give a good thrower credit for his skill, but he is still spoiling the fun for everybody.

Originally posted by Bluezman

So you may give a good thrower credit for his skill, but he is still spoiling the fun for everybody.

But doesn't any good player at least to a certain extend ruin the fun for other players not as good?

Originally posted by Dea

But doesn't any good player at least to a certain extend ruin the fun for other players not as good?

Agreed. Some people can't stand losing, so if a better player wins against them, he "ruins their fun". Whereas it can be fun to fight a good player and lose a really exciting duel. But that wasn't what I was talking about.

The problem even with good throw spammers is the following: If you want to successfully counter them, you need to stand still and keep facing them.

The problem is, that a skilled thrower would do the following: wait until you move, than roll and throw. So either offensive tactic you choose, you'll get hit (= no fun). If you don't move at all you just keep staring at each other, nothing happens (=no fun). If force is enabled, he'd use throw/pull for unblockable hits (=no fun).

Either way, it's no fun.

The only thing you really can do, is using the same tactic: throw/pull and hope that your timing is better or that the other one makes a mistake. In my opinion this still is no fun, at least not compared to a kick ass saber fight :D

So what we really have here is a problem with people who play defencive only? From what I read here the problem would be exactly the same if someone where to not attack, and counter every attack on him with for example a blue lunge.

Side note: I'm not taking into account the fact that you can pull/throw to cause an unblockable hit. It seems to me that this is a mistake in the code, as someone is capable of doing two attacks at the same time.

Okay . . I see where you said that . . your right the saber is never repeatidly thrown. Sorry for the mix up.

I agree on the taking advantage of a pull/throw combo bug, but come on . . there is a way to defend this with absorb on right? I guess it boils down to this . . . it's better to play fair and honorable, but you will have those few who do not. that is when you take THEIR game to them. On the map with TONS of catwalks I start out playing with only good saber-manship and challenges, but as soon as I get thrown or pulled or gripped for the 5th time, I will adapt and fight as they do. Not to win, but to make their stay on the server as miserable as I can, so that they leave and gameplay can once again resume with honor.

First, no you can't block this with absorb. The problem is, the moment your character sticks his hand out to block a force push or pull he lowers his saber to do so, that's when you're vulnerable for a throw. He also sticks his hand out if you have absorb on, so you're vulnerable to this.

Second, it's eazy for you to say you play honest. What strikes me most about reading these forums is that people have different oppinions about honest fighting. In this thread there is a problem with people being on the defencive (and using throw a lot in doing so). Even though they probably believe they are honest fighters because they don't backstab and other things, and backstabbers on their turn probably believe they play honest aswell.

So what I think it boils down to is, Everybody has a different definition of fun. You can't enforce your definition upon others, but you can gather people around you that share your ideas. If everybody would do that and play together with this set of people on their 'own' set of servers then we wouldn't have to bitch at eachother.

Anyway, this is a far to idealistic idee to be ever realized.

Archived