Home

The whole pull and backstab scheme

BlackDove

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ok to use it now and again especially if oyur fighting and he's running away, also if he pulls and backstabs you, fair enough, if he keeps trying it all the time, then that is just bull****.

My point is, it's alright as long as people don't spam it.

I think it's funny how a lot of people responding to this thread missed the point of the thread starter and just posted the usual rantings about how backstabbing is an exploit, unfair, lame, etc and how it shouldn't be used.

I guess it was inevitable, and that's why it will never change...

I think his case was just proven.

the backspin has taken over the backstab as the gayest move in the game..

i don't understand why the made the overhead jump strike worthless yet you can run around backstabing (and spinning while you do it) and the yellow back swipe/swing 1 shot kills...

it's a game of ass bumpers now

you are missing the point...Raven tried to fix the game and then didn't test it and created more lame ways to kill then before the patch...it shouldn't be up to us to stop the lameness by countering lameness that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

So many people have stopped playing completely...if they don't fix it soon, they should be offering your money back...because single player is weak too...everyone i know bought it for MP.

One kill wonders have their place. In CTF and FFA-type games saberists need a move to counter gunners. But in Duels it cheapens it alot. And although you can counter it, who would want to spend their time fending off a one-shot kill. gets boring to me.

Originally posted by KurganQ2

you are missing the point...Raven tried to fix the game and then didn't test it and created more lame ways to kill then before the patch...it shouldn't be up to us to stop the lameness by countering lameness that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

So many people have stopped playing completely...if they don't fix it soon, they should be offering your money back...because single player is weak too...everyone i know bought it for MP.

Now I see what kind of people fill out the "AJ WNT E PETCH" crowd...

i like fighting back stabing spammers

i like fighting drain/lightning spammers

i like fighting anybody thats good at spamming anything

why?

because usually in the course of one game i can get much better at dodging/countering that attack.

so while most people leave the server or complain, i get better and eventually hack the spammers up

kal-el what name do you use in JO, where do you play?

I dont mind back stabbing lamers. What I dont like is when they stand there with their saber off taunting you. And when you hit them and do about 50 points of damage they run away and get health then come back and start taunting again. then if they do kill you they think that they look so cooool. I dont know why, but they think the saber being off, and then on when they hit you is great. Also if you do kill them alot of them will follow you around for the whole map demanding a duel cos they think they are actualy good. lol. If I was an admin on the games domain servers there wouldnt be many people left :)

a Wolfs take,

In the end it all comes down to what you have "fun" at doing. In the online world there is not standard no rules of engagment, we are given a world and it is up to us what we decide to do with it. You can not control the actions of others, if you could wed all be communists and half of the world would be dead.

Personally i am a skilled duelist and can easily dispatch a elite backstabber, yet i take no pride in doing so. Its just not "fun" to me. So what do i do? I play with my friends, i have no problem with backstabs, i do them if the opertunity arises, however out of respect for the "good duelists" i wont use them if given the oppertunity because i like a good match ;) . There really isnt that much skill in the move unless its done in a supper cool way i.e someone flipping over you and do it as they land. Then they can say oh man that was pretty cool even though i got owned. As it stand its just a means to an end, i dont think raven intended it to be a primary weapon, hence the feedback from the community.

In conclusion, you can argue both for the backstab and against it, you can even argue to "nerf" it. In reality however, people will do what they want, its up to you to decide if you want to do something about it other than whine and moan on a public forum ;) . Personally im having to much fun playing with like minded people to complain about how much fun im not having in a public sever because im to much of an idiot to make some friends :) .

-Wolf

But in Duels it cheapens it alot. And although you can counter it, who would want to spend their time fending off a one-shot kill. gets boring to me.

um, if you get b/s while in a duel, either you just got owned by someone with some game, or you just blow.

I had an pathetic b/s spammer the other day b!tch at me for creaming him with throws in a duel.

LOL

"Spearchucker!"

"whatever @ssfighter..."

I started out in this game like a lot of other players not knowing all the force powers and moves. But, after being "schooled" a few times via backstab, push/pull backstab, etc, I ADAPTED.

I observed, practiced backstab, absorb, push/pull, ways to avoid them, other techniques, etc, went back online, etc, etc. Now, I don't get backstabbed very often and I can hit the move just as good as the next guy. No binds either.

Basically, it comes down to something that "Ugly Genius" briefly mentioned some posts above. It depends on the game your playing. CTF is very different from FFA or Duel. There is no one relying on you. I play a lot of CTF and I use the move there. I use it sparingly in the duels i go to. FFA the same.

But back to CTF, If I have the enemy flag carrier in my sight, I am going to use any means necessary to kill him quick. Rockets, repeaters, backstab, kick his face into a pulp, whatever it takes to get my flag back. So, if you have my flag or your chasing my teammate carrying your flag, I won't hesistate to backstab you just because it gets you out of the way quick. FFA and duel are different styles of game and require different tactics.

The move(s) are in the game. There is nothing you can do to change that. So, let the game change you. Adapt. Learn the backstab because learning the move is probably the best way to learn how to counter it. If you don't adapt, then prepare to die!

And anyway, ways to instant-kill have been around a long time i.e. quake - BFG's, quad any-gun almost, etc, etc. This just happens to be with a lightsaber.

Originally posted by ryudom

kal-el what name do you use in JO, where do you play?

=SSC=Kal-El, heh, and I usually play on Euro servers...the CTF on gamesdomain.co.uk usually...thats a good ping server for me...

Originally posted by Xabien

I dont mind back stabbing lamers. What I dont like is when they stand there with their saber off taunting you. And when you hit them and do about 50 points of damage they run away and get health then come back and start taunting again. then if they do kill you they think that they look so cooool. I dont know why, but they think the saber being off, and then on when they hit you is great. Also if you do kill them alot of them will follow you around for the whole map demanding a duel cos they think they are actualy good. lol. If I was an admin on the games domain servers there wouldnt be many people left :)

Btw, are you Sith.Xabien?

Anyway...lately I have seen different backstabbers...the spin scripters, however I found a way to counter them...the thing that worries me now is that I saw a guy yesterday that pulled me towards him and killed me just by me getting a touch of his sabre (I had full health btw)...he usually does a backstab that is a one hit kill (that way he can disguise it I guess), but I think we should expect this more and more...

Yes. Sith.Xabien here :)

I dont agree with all you people saying that we must learn basckstab to counter it. If I backstab comebody I dont think to myself. "Oh I am realy skillful" I think to myself "I want to go and commit suicide". If I kill somebody using normal saber strokes then I get a good feeling cos I know they are probably getting mad cos they cant do that. I do backstab when it is relevant. eg. when somebody is actualy behind me. If I was raven I would scrap this game, cos they keep trying to make it more realistic to the films but little no skill, former quaking big heads keep exploiting it and making it a very bad looking game. Every time I try and record a demo some lamer is always running backwards in the background and it looks soooooo pathetic when I show it to my friends who are thinking of getting the game. So dont learn to backstab. it isnt cool, it makes you look stupid and everyone hates it. Fight the power! Get your own fighting style.

Welcome to the BACKSWEEP-O-RAMA i like to call jk2 1.03

In the "prepatched" sdk (1.03a) the backsweep is no longer a one hit kill. Servers running MODS of some sort should be good for avoiding the backsweep-o-rama. Or maybe more servers will adopt the 1.03a mod for a community standard. And back to good old fashion saber combat tactics (and dfa spam)

Originally Posted by Xabien

I dont agree with all you people saying that we must learn basckstab to counter it. If I backstab comebody I dont think to myself. "Oh I am realy skillful" I think to myself "I want to go and commit suicide". If I kill somebody using normal saber strokes then I get a good feeling cos I know they are probably getting mad cos they cant do that. I do backstab when it is relevant. eg. when somebody is actualy behind me. If I was raven I would scrap this game, cos they keep trying to make it more realistic to the films but little no skill, former quaking big heads keep exploiting it and making it a very bad looking game. Every time I try and record a demo some lamer is always running backwards in the background and it looks soooooo pathetic when I show it to my friends who are thinking of getting the game. So dont learn to backstab. it isnt cool, it makes you look stupid and everyone hates it. Fight the power! Get your own fighting style.

Exactly, thats both sides of the story and the overall outcome :)

The tactic I've been using to avoid pull+backstab usually involves letting people pull me to the ground, then hopping up as they come in to stab...I wind up kicking them and knocking them over, usually I'm already in the air by the time they strike, and the saber doesn't touch me. The boot then hits the head, causing much mirth and merriment on my part :D

The only time I really use any backstab/swipe in a duel is when my opponent drags things out by refusing to come near me...

Either a lightsider who runs and heals to full before attacking again, or a darksider who runs and uses a combo of drain/lightning. If it gets to be a situation where my opponent just keeps running around the level and won't let me near, THAT's when I try to end things quickly.

I actually had a match with a darksider last 25 minutes, because all he did was run around the level draining and using lightning. After I *finally* was able to kill him, he actually accused <b>me</b> of being the lamer, because I started out the match with a throw, after moving out of the way of his backwards-running backstab...lol. He said he had to resort to those tactics to beat me :p

The ultimate backstab/swing fix:

Make it like it is in the single player game.

You can't move nor spin around like some whined up child's toy.

You're feet are FIXED to the ground and your body makes ONE turn to slash backwards ONCE.

Much more realistic and less of a cheap move that way.

Used the way it's suppose to be used.

These one hit moves ALL leave you open to couter attack. I agree about spinning with the BS though--physically its not possible to do. Go ahead and try it. This is the ONLY place it should be "fixed"

But these move do have their place. Last night I set one up really well. I was practicing the jump lunge and I noticed that my opponent circled around me on the first lunge. So I made my next lunge REALLY obvious, saw he was taking the bait, then countered with a backstab. He ran himself onto my point. :D

Personally, I'm working on pull/blue/yellow BS right now. The timing and range are more difficult than I first thought.

Archived