Home

The whole pull and backstab scheme

BlackDove

Originally posted by Xabien

Yes. Sith.Xabien here :)

I dont agree with all you people saying that we must learn basckstab to counter it. If I backstab comebody I dont think to myself. "Oh I am realy skillful" I think to myself "I want to go and commit suicide". If I kill somebody using normal saber strokes then I get a good feeling cos I know they are probably getting mad cos they cant do that. I do backstab when it is relevant. eg. when somebody is actualy behind me. If I was raven I would scrap this game, cos they keep trying to make it more realistic to the films but little no skill, former quaking big heads keep exploiting it and making it a very bad looking game. Every time I try and record a demo some lamer is always running backwards in the background and it looks soooooo pathetic when I show it to my friends who are thinking of getting the game. So dont learn to backstab. it isnt cool, it makes you look stupid and everyone hates it. Fight the power! Get your own fighting style.

Mm...you are mixing assfighters with backslashers... Assfighters SERIOUSLY look dumb. I don't even know why they are trying to pull that move off in my vicinity. However, the backslashers (well some of them, basically the ones that know what they are doing) are really good. However they are rare, and mostly you get the n00bs that run around backwards... I am one of the backslashers. and although I'm not THAT good, but at least I try and not run around backwards.

The backslash is actually there for a reason. As you all know, it wasn't gonna be nerfed in 1.04. I think it is there to even the balance between the health difference and the stances. I mean let's say your oponent is using the red stance and you are using the yellow. You make 30 per hit, he makes 50-60. Also his stance breaks through your passive position. And if it's an even feild of skill, the red stance guy is DEFINITE to win. However...if you backslash the red guy at a proper time... I still havent thought it through completely but I bet it goes as something to that effect...

Get my point?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line (for me, at least) is that the potance of the back-stab AND the poliferation of "skript Kiddiez" has totaly blown the on-line/public game play.

I hear ya about being able to compansate for move spammers and I AM fully cappable of being just as dirty... but ya know what? I don't find that FUN!

Until there's some kind of fix, I'll just go play something else... (me drops my Tribes 2 CD into the drive)

Nope. I hate backslashers, and I hate Ass Fighters. They are all in teh same boat in my opinion. That boat is called the "Taking the easy way out boat". Its like a Dark Jedi. They can either train hard and become a Jedi Master, or they can become a fallen jedi and get powers quickly but which arent as good as the Jedi's in teh long run. Also, why do you think raven bothered to put all of the Parrys, blocks and counter animations in? They are there to be used and so far I have only seen 2 people using them properly. Fight the power! Get your own fighting style.

PS I know I used that last line on a former post but I think it still sounds good :)

I use backstab because it lets me win. Therefore I use it a lot. However within five minutes of starting a game I know what strategies every single player is using, as a result I know if backstab will work on them.

Playing Kal-El the other day, he was doing better than me, not sure if its down to pings or whatever, but I ended up using other moves instead. He does use backstab a lot but he is a skilled player. I consider myself a skilled backswinger and I initially was overwhelmed.

So what am I saying? A competitive player will use the best weapons in their arsenal in order to win, if they realize that their weapon isn't working they will switch to the next best weapon.

Yes. A competitive player would do that. So go do that in a competition. Not on a public server were people want to have fun. Also, saying that you are a skilled Backslash is a contradiction in its self.

yellow. You make 30 per hit, he makes 50-60. Also his stance breaks through your passive position. And if it's an even feild of skill, the red stance guy is DEFINITE to win.

sorry but thats not DEFINITELY not true. some one who is very accurate with medium can be very deadly, heavy stance can just kill less-skilled people faster then medium can

Yes. A competitive player would do that. So go do that in a competition. Not on a public server were people want to have fun. Also, saying that you are a skilled Backslash is a contradiction in its self.

I don't see scores not counting... And besides, I'm usually the one who gets those 3-4 guys off your back so you can go get the flag and bring it safely back ;) And you also know I'm usually the guy who is bringing the flag back when you are holding theirs...

Also, I actually prefer a good backslashing battle than the normal "swing and pray it hits" episode. Especially if the other player is better than me.

Originally posted by ryudom

sorry but thats not DEFINITELY not true. some one who is very accurate with medium can be very deadly, heavy stance can just kill less-skilled people faster then medium can

Again, I said both players having the same skill with the stance they practise in... Only someone who is very skillful in medium or light, will beat the one who is not so skillful with red. And thats a high MAYBE because what if the fairly skilled player runs into the highly skilled player on the level with low HP? The high skilled honcho is gonne be DEAD FROM ONE RED HIT. He HAS to have something that will compensate to the other guy with full health...

Yes. A competitive player would do that. So go do that in a competition. Not on a public server were people want to have fun.

I wonder where these so-called "fun only, non-competative" servers are? What is a "competition"?

Is it that only contests are competative? No. Actually, many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of players play online games because of the thrill of competition. They play to win, even if they never actually do. They TRY TO WIN. That is why there are scores!

Games like Unreal Tournament and Quake3 are obviously built around competition, but every game that has human player verses human player is based at least in part, on competition. To say that it's not, and that competition has no place, is to put blinders on.

Besides, many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of players find the "fun" in competition! Now I'd say that to have "fun" a person doesn't always win, that would get boring, but to say that people have to ROLE PLAY to have fun instead of compete, using the regular game dynamics, is unrealistic, and frankly, naive.

When you have two players who are not working together on the same "team" I argue, you have a competition, by default. If you are role playing and working on character development (ie: building your honorable reputation with another player) then that's different, but don't begrudge us "competative" players our "fun" and all will be well for everyone. ; )

As far as stances go, I use them all. Which moves do I use? Whichever ones are best in the situation at hand. Mix 'em up, I say. Use what works and don't let them catch onto your strategy!

Let me say I definately agree with the whole notion of one hit kills in MP (not always, but they have a place). I do think it comes down to "role playing" verses "competition."

Some people are upset because they want to focus on having a one on one saber duel, and anything that makes for a quick end to the battle upsets them. They want every hit to take a tiny bit of damage and be easily blockable. They want duels to last a long, long time, so they feel like a movie, since they are role playing being a Jedi. In their ideal world, there's no danger of letting down your guard for an instant, because you won't risk sudden death. You won't try for a "cheap hit" against your enemy, because you're honorable and that would end the RPG duel.

Now the competative player doesn't care about that. He's playing the game for the competition, not just to savor the most prolonged battle with a single opponent he can (with one weapon). The competative player has a goal, often multiple goals, and he is constantly thinking how to accomplish those goals, using all the tools and terrain at his disposal. He'll use tactics like hitting his opponent when they aren't paying attention or gang up on people. He'll snipe them when they are far away. He'll camp vital items and deny them to his enemy.

Why? Because he wants to WIN. That doesn't mean that winning is his only goal, but he plays as if he is trying to achieve that goal, eventually.

For example let's look at this scenario (this is taken from JK1, but it could apply easily to JK2 here as well).

So I'm guarding the flag in CTF, my other teammates have been lost someplace on the map, hopefully attacking the enemy base.

Sadly, the enemy team is attacking me in strength. So what am I doing? I'm shooting them from afar, shooting them up with my guns. I run out of ammo and I'm pinned down. The attackers desperately charge my position. I draw my saber, and skillfully cut down my enemies like wheat on the left and the right.

One hit, kill. One hit, kill.

Not very movie-like is it? But it's competative, it's fun. It's how the game is played.

Now let's say instead of one hit kills, the guy just automatically blocks every hit behind his back. Ooops, I guess I have to stand still and slowly saber duel each and every guy.... doh, too late, while I was dueling another guy took the flag and my team loses!

Okay, so if I can't kill in one hit, the saber is not going to be my weapon of choice in this situation. I instead choose another weapon like mines, or the rocket launcher or the repeater (secondary) or the ST rifle, etc.

The point is, I need firepower and I need it NOW. I can't afford to engage everyone honorably. But if you have this honorable, everything is equal, and no "lame/cheap" one-hit kills, then CTF gets screwed with and is less fun.

Perhaps we need different styles and levels of damage for duel verses everything else? Who knows, but I'm not one of the guys who whines and says that the game is broken until Raven patches it to my liking. Instead, I try my best to learn the ins and outs of the game as it is, and counter the enemy strategies. Soon what once appeared "lame" or "cheap" isn't, and instead I use it myself to my advantage.

So yes, if the backstab helps me guard my base, I'll use it. If the DFA does too, I'll do that too. If the Backsweep or kick/pull combo works, that's my bag as well. If the saber seems weak, I'll use another weapon!

"I observed, practiced backstab, absorb, push/pull, ways to avoid them, other techniques, etc, went back online, etc, etc. Now, I don't get backstabbed very often and I can hit the move just as good as the next guy. No binds either.

Basically, it comes down to something that "Ugly Genius" briefly mentioned some posts above. It depends on the game your playing. CTF is very different from FFA or Duel. There is no one relying on you. I play a lot of CTF and I use the move there. I use it sparingly in the duels i go to. FFA the same.

But back to CTF, If I have the enemy flag carrier in my sight, I am going to use any means necessary to kill him quick. Rockets, repeaters, backstab, kick his face into a pulp, whatever it takes to get my flag back. So, if you have my flag or your chasing my teammate carrying your flag, I won't hesistate to backstab you just because it gets you out of the way quick. FFA and duel are different styles of game and require different tactics.

The move(s) are in the game. There is nothing you can do to change that. So, let the game change you. Adapt. Learn the backstab because learning the move is probably the best way to learn how to counter it. If you don't adapt, then prepare to die!"

Ok. This is stupid. Lets just say you are in charge of a business. And you are in competition with another business. You find out that the other business is corrupt and doing things which are cheap, nasty and against the rules to get ahead of you becaus eyou are the better business. The better business wouldnt break the rules also would they? No. Because they have a little something called Morality. Morality can be a complexed or as simple as you want but it does require a brain. Therefore this is why I think the backstabbers and ass fighters continue to be nasty to get ahead of better players. They dont have a brain. AA THANKYOU! :) Just kidding (I would love to see the faces of all you flamers when you saw Just Kidding at the end =] )

What it comes down to is this. The REAL starwars/Jedi knight fans will use proper moves to defeat an opponent and look cool whilst doing it. When they come up against a better opponent they will admit defeat, be honourable and not make the same mistake they did last time. This is what I, and alot of other people like to call learning. (A skill which backslashers find hard to use) The other people are either;

1) Stupid

2) Not Starwars Fans

3) Spoilt brats that need to grow up

4) Competitive players that think of the game as a job

5) See #1

That should do it for now. Fight the power!

(I just cant stop using that can I? =] )

P.S I know this is a bit long so alot of you backslashers/ass fighters wont be able to understand what I was talking about when you et to the end. But to summarise I basicaly called you custard boot filling, welly headed, robot voiced, duck faced, candel clawed doggy ruff heads. =]

personally i paly duel alot and i can understand why you would want to get there as quickly as possible in a ctf match

The move(s) are in the game. There is nothing you can do to change that. So, let the game change you. Adapt. Learn the backstab because learning the move is probably the best way to learn how to counter it. If you don't adapt, then prepare to die!"

There's no better way of saying that, that's all you gotta do, there's no point in beeing stubborn and preaching how bad it is, elarn to lvie with it.

Kal, I would like to ask you a question :)

If we all went you're way of thinking and turned into pull/backsweepers to counter the p/bs, wouldn't that mean the game would just be full of p/bs and nothing else? Do you really wish to see JK2 turn a bunch of people doing one move? I know I don't!

i dont understand the "moves" logic any way. Why should any "move" be unblockable. why should any "move" do more damage. It is a light saber with no weight. it's damage is done by burning and burning is a duration injury. Damage shoul be based on location(head, torso, leg etc) and duration saber is collided with the charactor. The only time swing strength should matter is when defeating apponents blocks. "moves" just lead to spam. Light sabers should be a graceful and tactical fight not a "move fest" where each fight looks like the one before. I would download any patch that accomplished this. Then you would see some interesting fights.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I wonder where these so-called "fun only, non-competative" servers are? What is a "competition"?

Is it that only contests are competative? No. Actually, many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of players play online games because of the thrill of competition. They play to win, even if they never actually do. They TRY TO WIN. That is why there are scores!

Games like Unreal Tournament and Quake3 are obviously built around competition, but every game that has human player verses human player is based at least in part, on competition. To say that it's not, and that competition has no place, is to put blinders on.

Besides, many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of players find the "fun" in competition! Now I'd say that to have "fun" a person doesn't always win, that would get boring, but to say that people have to ROLE PLAY to have fun instead of compete, using the regular game dynamics, is unrealistic, and frankly, naive.

When you have two players who are not working together on the same "team" I argue, you have a competition, by default. If you are role playing and working on character development (ie: building your honorable reputation with another player) then that's different, but don't begrudge us "competative" players our "fun" and all will be well for everyone. ; )

As far as stances go, I use them all. Which moves do I use? Whichever ones are best in the situation at hand. Mix 'em up, I say. Use what works and don't let them catch onto your strategy!

Let me say I definately agree with the whole notion of one hit kills in MP (not always, but they have a place). I do think it comes down to "role playing" verses "competition."

Some people are upset because they want to focus on having a one on one saber duel, and anything that makes for a quick end to the battle upsets them. They want every hit to take a tiny bit of damage and be easily blockable. They want duels to last a long, long time, so they feel like a movie, since they are role playing being a Jedi. In their ideal world, there's no danger of letting down your guard for an instant, because you won't risk sudden death. You won't try for a "cheap hit" against your enemy, because you're honorable and that would end the RPG duel.

Now the competative player doesn't care about that. He's playing the game for the competition, not just to savor the most prolonged battle with a single opponent he can (with one weapon). The competative player has a goal, often multiple goals, and he is constantly thinking how to accomplish those goals, using all the tools and terrain at his disposal. He'll use tactics like hitting his opponent when they aren't paying attention or gang up on people. He'll snipe them when they are far away. He'll camp vital items and deny them to his enemy.

Why? Because he wants to WIN. That doesn't mean that winning is his only goal, but he plays as if he is trying to achieve that goal, eventually.

For example let's look at this scenario (this is taken from JK1, but it could apply easily to JK2 here as well).

So I'm guarding the flag in CTF, my other teammates have been lost someplace on the map, hopefully attacking the enemy base.

Sadly, the enemy team is attacking me in strength. So what am I doing? I'm shooting them from afar, shooting them up with my guns. I run out of ammo and I'm pinned down. The attackers desperately charge my position. I draw my saber, and skillfully cut down my enemies like wheat on the left and the right.

One hit, kill. One hit, kill.

Not very movie-like is it? But it's competative, it's fun. It's how the game is played.

Now let's say instead of one hit kills, the guy just automatically blocks every hit behind his back. Ooops, I guess I have to stand still and slowly saber duel each and every guy.... doh, too late, while I was dueling another guy took the flag and my team loses!

Okay, so if I can't kill in one hit, the saber is not going to be my weapon of choice in this situation. I instead choose another weapon like mines, or the rocket launcher or the repeater (secondary) or the ST rifle, etc.

The point is, I need firepower and I need it NOW. I can't afford to engage everyone honorably. But if you have this honorable, everything is equal, and no "lame/cheap" one-hit kills, then CTF gets screwed with and is less fun.

Perhaps we need different styles and levels of damage for duel verses everything else? Who knows, but I'm not one of the guys who whines and says that the game is broken until Raven patches it to my liking. Instead, I try my best to learn the ins and outs of the game as it is, and counter the enemy strategies. Soon what once appeared "lame" or "cheap" isn't, and instead I use it myself to my advantage.

So yes, if the backstab helps me guard my base, I'll use it. If the DFA does too, I'll do that too. If the Backsweep or kick/pull combo works, that's my bag as well. If the saber seems weak, I'll use another weapon!

It really looks like that is how it is. And by that definition, I am most DEFINATELY the competitive player. My goal is to have fun, but I rather prefer to have fun by winning.

Ok. This is stupid. Lets just say you are in charge of a business. And you are in competition with another business. You find out that the other business is corrupt and doing things which are cheap, nasty and against the rules to get ahead of you becaus eyou are the better business. The better business wouldnt break the rules also would they? No. Because they have a little something called Morality. Morality can be a complexed or as simple as you want but it does require a brain. Therefore this is why I think the backstabbers and ass fighters continue to be nasty to get ahead of better players. They dont have a brain. AA THANKYOU! :) Just kidding (I would love to see the faces of all you flamers when you saw Just Kidding at the end =] )

Thats the thing.....you aren't the better buisness... In fact you are dropping so much you are about to file for bankrupcy.

What it comes down to is this. The REAL starwars/Jedi knight fans will use proper moves to defeat an opponent and look cool whilst doing it. When they come up against a better opponent they will admit defeat, be honourable and not make the same mistake they did last time. This is what I, and alot of other people like to call learning. (A skill which backslashers find hard to use) The other people are either;

1) Stupid

2) Not Starwars Fans

3) Spoilt brats that need to grow up

4) Competitive players that think of the game as a job

5) See #1

Lately I see that most of the people who complain about backstab/slash, KNOW what kind of a move is it. Yes, YOUR opinion is the one that counts, and no-one elses (not to mention that the people who made the game are against YOUR opinion completely since they were the ones that made the game, but no, they were wrong, YOU know what is right). Also the Earth and the Sun revolve around YOU. Whatever YOU say is how it is. The rest of us are just talking and doing crap. We are the ones who are, and I quote; "corrupt and doing things which are cheap, nasty and against the rules". I'm also glad all of us have YOU to tell us what are the rules. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!111111111one11111

Also, by reading that again, I realised that is the technical description for the people complaining, in this case, about backstabs/slashes so I set it in bold.

P.S I know this is a bit long so alot of you backslashers/ass fighters wont be able to understand what I was talking about when you get to the end. But to summarise I basicaly called you custard boot filling, welly headed, robot voiced, duck faced, candel clawed doggy ruff heads. =]

Resorting to "name calling" is the last straw someone can push in an argument. You know it, I know it, nuff said...

Originally posted by lexx

Kal, I would like to ask you a question :)

If we all went you're way of thinking and turned into pull/backsweepers to counter the p/bs, wouldn't that mean the game would just be full of p/bs and nothing else? Do you really wish to see JK2 turn a bunch of people doing one move? I know I don't!

I say SURE.

a) Have you ever been in a backstabbing duel? I'm talking about when two terrific backstabbers collide, not that petty assfighting. The thing is that you AND your enemy are sizing eachother up ALL the time. There is absolutely NO room for error. You make one mistake and you have 75% chances of not getting out of it. That game is FAR more fun than any regular "maul-the-saber-around-hoping-to-hit-somewhere-but-if-me-mauls-closer-me-has-better-chance-of-hitting-and-especially-if-the-path-around-me-and-my-enemy-is-smaller-then-me-has-great-chances-to-hit-by-doing-a-DFA-or-lunging-until-my-fingers-fall-off".

Originally posted by shadoseer

i dont understand the "moves" logic any way. Why should any "move" be unblockable. why should any "move" do more damage. It is a light saber with no weight. it's damage is done by burning and burning is a duration injury. Damage shoul be based on location(head, torso, leg etc) and duration saber is collided with the charactor. The only time swing strength should matter is when defeating apponents blocks. "moves" just lead to spam. Light sabers should be a graceful and tactical fight not a "move fest" where each fight looks like the one before. I would download any patch that accomplished this. Then you would see some interesting fights.

You sound like you need to go watch the MOVIES and not play the GAME. Get the difference?

Also, whoever moved this to here wasn't very bright...

First of all, I'd say that IMHO the duel gametype and FFA-CTF gametype should have different styles of saberfighting built in. Keep 1.03 with duels and return 1.02 to the rest. The blocking is there for a reason in duels: something to get around, another fighting element. In FFA and CTF it's tedious and boring, it kills the enjoyment, since a single opponent takes hours to finish.

In duel, the goal is not to finish your opponent as fast as you can. In 1.02 you could go button-mashing and hope to win. In 1.03 you will meet a wall of blocking. This is just my opinion, but I believe that the blocking adds to the skill required in the long run, in duels. I can usually finish an opponent fairly quickly in duels if he doesn't run like a chicken all the time.

Thats the thing.....you aren't the better buisness... In fact you are dropping so much you are about to file for bankrupcy. - Kal-El

Will you please elaborate on this comment? It appears you've got the idea that getting higher sales by playing cheap and nasty is far better than getting higher sales by playing by the morals and laws?

I'm with lexx on this one - Will you people rather see this game revolve around THIS ONE MOVE simply because it is vastly superior? I'd say that backstab narrows options, if that is the case.

One question: Imagine if backstab wasn't in 1.03. What would happen?

My guess is that the tactics and playing style would get more varied and colorful, simply because no other move matches backstab in power. The rest of the moves are fairly well balanced. Take backstab out of the equation and you end up with a fairly well balanced game. -The above question only relates to duels, because the blocking is blatantly hidious in the other gametypes.-

To clarify again, I believe that backstab is needed in FFA and CTF *right now*, because of all the blocking. But it is rather disruptive in duels, where the blocking is there for a purpose and doesn't hinder the flow of the game.

Your right dude... ill just go download some scripts and let the fun begin. No wait ill go watch a movie, or maybe ill just go golfing. Fun for me is when not only that I am having fun but the humans around me are having fun as well. I don't need "own" somebody or run through as many opponents as possible. Actually in ctf i always join the losing side. In duels i will often leave if i feel my skills are too high. I like to win but i also like to feel challenged. I understand that some people may see this as a weakness but it is only a game. I think that move spammers are ego building especially "owning someone". What does that mean? I think it means you have some serious self confidence issues and you need to realize that fun is not what you think it is. I, mean it. I am a very competetive person and have played night after night trying to defeat spammers without spam. Call me silly but that's challenging. And every now and again I do beat them. That is winning.

I find it hilarious that some people on this very forum equate using a move available to everyone in a VIDEOGAME to low intelligence. I'm sorry to break it you, but being good, or bad at a videogame has nothing to do with intelligence. I would venture Albert Einstein would suck horribly at Quake, Starcraft, Jedi Knight, Super Mario, whatever, probably because he would realize there are much better uses for his intelligence.

The flipside of my argument is using moves that you deem "skilled" doesn't make you intelligent. Don't tell me you're the next Einstein because you don't use the backstab, that's absurd. This whole argument is hilarious because A) the people who complain about backstab complained about DFA, which they fixed, and B) the same people who complain about Absorb were the same folk who complained about Drain, pre-patch (a little off topic, but I hope you catch my drift).

All the backstab haters, ignore this post because according to one of your kind, I'm a moron anyway. A university educated moron going for his master's in computer science, but a moron regardless. If you can't detect the sarcasm, well it's there. I realize I'm not the smartest person on earth because I do waste a bit of my free time playing vids, but come on... name-calling because we don't agree with your point of view? NOW THAT'S STUPID.

I know Kurgan or Kal or someone had mentioned it before but if the "hatas" had their way, it would take 20 minutes to kill your opponent in a saber fight, and the 15 of you who would put up with this nonsense would have your pick of all the empty servers on the internet. I've watched my share of Star Wars, and I'm sorry guys, even the best duelists don't put on a fight that "looks like it's out of the movies".

RE: skill... what's the skill in using a chained combo in blue or yellow stance, praying it hits? um, guys... that's button mashing, and by definition, that's spamming, i.e. repeating the same lame combo again, and again, and again...

Hating guys running around backwards? Someone else already mentioned this, but if you get killed FREQUENTLY by guys running around backwards, don't blame them, blame yourself because you're out of practice. If you want to just have fun, go play with your friends, don't force others to play by your rules on a public server. If the admin comes on and agrees with your point of view, he'll kick the guys you don't like anyway, but otherwise, it's a free for all in more than one sense.

Personally, i would feel dirty if i used the backstab. :D

Almost as dirty as sleeping with you're best m8s mum.

(altho she aint bad and ive looked between her legs b4 :cool: )

On a realistic note, id just like to say that they fixed the DFA and IMHO i think its fine now, im sure if they had a chance they would fix the backstab, maybe reduce the damage but they would also have to reduce the blocking cus like people said in certain gametypes you do need to dispatch you're enemy rather quickly.

Dont flame me cus im a dirty mother groper :cool:

Well I don't care either way. If someone turns thier back to me I think...

He's is either gay and fancies a bit or a backstab is comeing.

Reaction:

get out the bloddy way and chuck that saber up his arse.

I don't think anybody will beat my killing record as often I kill myself more times than anyone ever will :D - 42 once :rolleyes:

But I have a laugh doing it.

"Resorting to "name calling" is the last straw someone can push in an argument. You know it, I know it, nuff said... "

I always thought the last straw was fighting. But if you want to stop at the name calling thats fine by me.

"Lately I see that most of the people who complain about backstab/slash, KNOW what kind of a move is it. Yes, YOUR opinion is the one that counts, and no-one elses (not to mention that the people who made the game are against YOUR opinion completely since they were the ones that made the game, but no, they were wrong, YOU know what is right). Also the Earth and the Sun revolve around YOU. Whatever YOU say is how it is. The rest of us are just talking and doing crap. We are the ones who are, and I quote; "corrupt and doing things which are cheap, nasty and against the rules". I'm also glad all of us have YOU to tell us what are the rules. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!111111111one11111"

If I am only bothered about MY opinion I wouldnt come on these boards to discuss it. (See what I mean about the tiny brain? :p ) The people who made the game originaly made it so the backstab/slash wasnt whored. then the patch guys messed it up by ACCIDENT. If they want the game to stay this way then why is there so much talk about a patch? Please think about what your saying. *sends =SSC=Kal-El back to his drawing board"

Also I would just like to say how bad Kal actualy is. We made an agreement a few weeks ago that we would be friends and in CTF games we would only attack each other if one of us had the flag. He said this was a good deal for me because he was "Good". And at the time he was good in my opinion. Then all of a sudden he starts backslashing people. all the time. I decide not to say anything. Then he starts backslashing me in game when I have no flag. Just shows the backslashers sence of morality. This is classic "falling to the dark side behaviour".

Also :p

"a) Have you ever been in a backstabbing duel? I'm talking about when two terrific backstabbers collide, not that petty assfighting. The thing is that you AND your enemy are sizing eachother up ALL the time. There is absolutely NO room for error. You make one mistake and you have 75% chances of not getting out of it. That game is FAR more fun than any regular "maul-the-saber-around-hoping-to-hit-somewhere-but-if-me-mauls-closer-me-has-better-chance-of-hitting-and-especially-if-the-path-around-me-and-my-enemy-is-smaller-then-me-has-great-chances-to-hit-by-doing-a-DFA-or-lunging-until-my-fingers-fall-off". "

Terrific backslashers. I am LMAO. There is no room for error. LOL go work in a nuclear powerplant and get it out of your system. its just a case of who can get there ass in the other guys fdace the fastest and press the button. LOL

Hmmm.... I agree somewhat with the above post.

Assfighting for pro's can undoubtedly be very fun, but that is glorifying the assfighting IMHO. Again, Backstabbing narrows options in a fight, and that is bad per definition in my book.

I have plenty of fun playing 1.03 with all of it's backstabbing (even though I don't use it) and the game is still fun as it is now.

But come here and state how glorious and hilarious backstabbing others is, and you will get a confused stare from me...

Originally posted by cjais

Will you please elaborate on this comment? It appears you've got the idea that getting higher sales by playing cheap and nasty is far better than getting higher sales by playing by the morals and laws?

You just don't get it, do you? You should read the thing I put in bold in my previous post...

I'm with lexx on this one - Will you people rather see this game revolve around THIS ONE MOVE simply because it is vastly superior? I'd say that backstab narrows options, if that is the case.

Mmm, not really... other moves are useful against backstabs/slashes.

One question: Imagine if backstab wasn't in 1.03. What would happen?

Boring, 20 minutes for one oponent... AND HE GETS TO RESPAWN...

My guess is that the tactics and playing style would get more varied and colorful, simply because no other move matches backstab in power. The rest of the moves are fairly well balanced. Take backstab out of the equation and you end up with a fairly well balanced game. -The above question only relates to duels, because the blocking is blatantly hidious in the other gametypes.

That's why its just "your guess"...

Originally posted by shadoseer

Your right dude... ill just go download some scripts and let the fun begin. No wait ill go watch a movie, or maybe ill just go golfing. Fun for me is when not only that I am having fun but the humans around me are having fun as well. I don't need "own" somebody or run through as many opponents as possible. Actually in ctf i always join the losing side. In duels i will often leave if i feel my skills are too high. I like to win but i also like to feel challenged. I understand that some people may see this as a weakness but it is only a game. I think that move spammers are ego building especially "owning someone". What does that mean? I think it means you have some serious self confidence issues and you need to realize that fun is not what you think it is. I, mean it. I am a very competetive person and have played night after night trying to defeat spammers without spam. Call me silly but that's challenging. And every now and again I do beat them. That is winning.

Also, if by your definition "winning" is "now and again", then it is obvious you havent owned people when the odds were stacked against you....

shot0007.jpg

Btw, Darth Cranky was on their team. I guess now the follow up is "They were all n00bs anyway".

Also, if you're talking about duels and spamming moves, then the one who spams a move is usually the loser... Duels and CTF/FFA/TFFA arent the same... And I play without the backstab/slash on duels... until someone tries to do it on me... it's simply too risky...

Originally posted by technobot

I find it hilarious that some people on this very forum equate using a move available to everyone in a VIDEOGAME to low intelligence. I'm sorry to break it you, but being good, or bad at a videogame has nothing to do with intelligence. I would venture Albert Einstein would suck horribly at Quake, Starcraft, Jedi Knight, Super Mario, whatever, probably because he would realize there are much better uses for his intelligence.

Playing a game doesn't require a brain... just good motoric skills... That's why you have dumbasses who are good players...

The flipside of my argument is using moves that you deem "skilled" doesn't make you intelligent. Don't tell me you're the next Einstein because you don't use the backstab, that's absurd. This whole argument is hilarious because A) the people who complain about backstab complained about DFA, which they fixed, and B) the same people who complain about Absorb were the same folk who complained about Drain, pre-patch (a little off topic, but I hope you catch my drift).

People who deem ANYTHING in the game as skilled or not skilled are idiots because they actually came to the idea that they believe what they say is how things are... Too sure of themselves.

All the backstab haters, ignore this post because according to one of your kind, I'm a moron anyway. A university educated moron going for his master's in computer science, but a moron regardless. If you can't detect the sarcasm, well it's there. I realize I'm not the smartest person on earth because I do waste a bit of my free time playing vids, but come on... name-calling because we don't agree with your point of view? NOW THAT'S STUPID.

I'm not the smartest also... I was trying out scripts yesterday... I wanted to use them to see what their faults are so I can exploit their weaknesses... Needless to say, I couldn't get the script to work at all... so I guess I'll have to do it all the harder way... by observing (god that is boring)...

I know Kurgan or Kal or someone had mentioned it before but if the "hatas" had their way, it would take 20 minutes to kill your opponent in a saber fight, and the 15 of you who would put up with this nonsense would have your pick of all the empty servers on the internet. I've watched my share of Star Wars, and I'm sorry guys, even the best duelists don't put on a fight that "looks like it's out of the movies".

Kurgan said it, I said it also... thats mostly our point... if you didn't have backstab....time...

Hating guys running around backwards? Someone else already mentioned this, but if you get killed FREQUENTLY by guys running around backwards, don't blame them, blame yourself because you're out of practice. If you want to just have fun, go play with your friends, don't force others to play by your rules on a public server. If the admin comes on and agrees with your point of view, he'll kick the guys you don't like anyway, but otherwise, it's a free for all in more than one sense.

They are the easiest to backstab... or you can just kick them in the ass... or stick the sabre up their ass with a lunge... endless possibilities...

I always thought the last straw was fighting. But if you want to stop at the name calling thats fine by me.

Yes, calling names and insulting people is usually a peaceful conversation :eyeraise:

It's as fightning as it can get here...

If I am only bothered about MY opinion I wouldnt come on these boards to discuss it. (See what I mean about the tiny brain? :p ) The people who made the game originaly made it so the backstab/slash wasnt whored. then the patch guys messed it up by ACCIDENT. If they want the game to stay this way then why is there so much talk about a patch? Please think about what your saying. *sends =SSC=Kal-El back to his drawing board

No, you are here to explain to everyone your opinion and voice your views so that you could try and see if anyone actually agrees with you. Thats one of the differences between you and me...

Again, I'm so glad we have you to tell us what people who made the game thought about using the backslash all the time... we also appreciate your knowledge of the fact that it was an accident... The only thing that was removed in 1.03a was the ability to spin while backslashing/backstabbing, which I don't do. The power of the hit remained the same...

Also I would just like to say how bad Kal actualy is. We made an agreement a few weeks ago that we would be friends and in CTF games we would only attack each other if one of us had the flag. He said this was a good deal for me because he was "Good". And at the time he was good in my opinion. Then all of a sudden he starts backslashing people. all the time. I decide not to say anything. Then he starts backslashing me in game when I have no flag. Just shows the backslashers sence of morality. This is classic "falling to the dark side behaviour".

You made that up. I NEVER said anything like that, and I NEVER heard you even ask me that. If I told you I agree to that, then I'm really sorry, but consciously I would NEVER agree to those terms...

The only time we talk in full sentences is on the forums. In the game, the only practical thing I have to say to you or anyone else is "Hi Xab" and thats it. So if I said it on the forums, then tell me where I said and agreed to that. It has to be on the forums given that we never talk in any other way...

Terrific backslashers. I am LMAO. There is no room for error. LOL go work in a nuclear powerplant and get it out of your system. its just a case of who can get there ass in the other guys fdace the fastest and press the button. LOL

That shows you don't understand what the backstab/slash is all about. I'm so glad I have this quoted, because this truly shows it. By this definition, it would be good for you if the "backslash" was done from the front as in "frontslash".

So it's one of two things

a) You are too dumb to construct a sentence

b) My theory about your sentence is correct

You just don't get it, do you? You should read the thing I put in bold in my previous post...

I did, you're saying that the "better business" is the one who wins, no matter what they do. They could nuke the city of paris if that made them any better, then they'd be on top and you wouldn't care. That is what you're saying. Regardless, this is a moot point really, because I don't consider backstab to be "immoral". I am just stating that your point of view on certain things are quite wicked, and that you'll win no matter the cost and no matter how cheap you'll look in the eyes of the spectators.

Mmm, not really... other moves are useful against backstabs/slashes.

That is not my point. Backstab *is* the better move in this game, and people are abusing it without variying their tactics. It's the best move to pull off, so why not go for it? That is my point.

That's why its just "your guess"...

Kal-El, that made no sense at all. Of course it's my guess, care to explain why you disagree?

"I know Kurgan or Kal or someone had mentioned it before but if the "hatas" had their way, it would take 20 minutes to kill your opponent in a saber fight, and the 15 of you who would put up with this nonsense would have your pick of all the empty servers on the internet. I've watched my share of Star Wars, and I'm sorry guys, even the best duelists don't put on a fight that "looks like it's out of the movies"."

20 minutes to kill somebody without backslashing???? This shows why you guys are using it. No skill.

Posted by Kal

"That shows you don't understand what the backstab/slash is all about. I'm so glad I have this quoted, because this truly shows it. By this definition, it would be good for you if the "backslash" was done from the front as in "frontslash".

So it's one of two things

a) You are too dumb to construct a sentence

b) My theory about your sentence is correct"

ALso Posted by Kal earlier on.

"Resorting to "name calling" is the last straw someone can push in an argument. You know it, I know it, nuff said... "

I am also so glad I have this quoted :)

Archived