Home

GameCube

C Shutt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not me. I'll be sticking with my PC for the time being. I'm going to buy myself a new PC, even though it is more expensive then consoles. I never really got into consoles a great deal.

I don't really like the look of the GameCube too much. I think that they tried too hard to market it as a 'kiddie' system. Shutt, please don't jump down my throat, it's just my own opinion, based on what the console looks like. I've not played a GameCube yet, so I could even end up changing my mind. From what I had seen in many game stores out my way, I've seen rather a lot of kiddie games released for the GameCube.

I didn't think much of the controllers for the GameCube. Considering that I've not been one for playing consoles, it usually takes me quite a while to get the hang of controllers anyway.

I did think that the controllers of the GameCube looked too big and cumbersome. What's your opinion of the GameCube's controllers Shutt?

I wish I had a cube. When is Zelda coming out on it?

I'm getting the Afterburner kit for my GB Advance. I got one for my bro and it worked brilliantly (no pun intended). Oooo boy, can't wait to play Castlevania in the middle of a dark forest...!

I'm not in the mood to lay into the sheer stupidity of the concept of "kiddie", so I'll leave that alone for now.

I think Zelda's coming out early next year, although I'm probably wrong. And doesn't it look great? I remember being critical of the new look LoZ on the old forum. I believe I may have even said something to the effect of "Miyamoto's lost it". I was wrong, and I am deeply sorry. Shigeru Miyamoto is, and will always be a minor deity, and I should be thankful for every day I get to spend on the same planet as him.

Last I heard was Zelda was coming out in the fall, but that's in the US and chances are it'll be delayed.

I agree completely that the 'kiddy' thing is completely idiotic, but if you're still enough of a retard to think otherwise, play Eternal Darkness. Goddamn, it's great.

Well, I haven't actually played a GameCube before, so I've shot my mouth off to soon.....again. I kinda didn't like the colour of the Cube, which is really just me, judging a book by it's cover. How are the graphics on the Cube? Better than PS2 and XBox?

Just checked out LucasArts web site, they have got a few games that do look promising, coming out on the Cube. Who knows? I might end up even checking out the Cube some time. I think there's a store in town where they let you hire out consoles for a week, overnight, or something like that.

So Shutt, what games have you got for your Cube?

I heard a rumour that the Buffy game was supposedly coming out on the Cube, as well as on some other consoles, and the PC. I could be wrong, but it was just a rumour.

Ohhhh. Okay. I thought the GameCube only came in purple. I've only seen purple where I live.

Graphics don't <i>really<i> matter too much to me. Man, if a game has great graphics, great sound, but lousy game-play, then I'll more than likely get bored of it very quickly.

I'm not sure yet whether I like the controllers. Having not yet had the pleasure of testing out a Cube (something I must do on my next trip to town), so I don't know how the controllers are. Anything you guys didn't like about the controllers? I did think that maybe the controllers were a little too large. When I do use gamepads and such, the bigger they are, the more my thumb/fingers tend to hurt after using them for a while.

Right now, the Cube isn't that expensive. Somewhere between $350-$450, I think. I don't remember how much it is. Anyway, then XBox and PS2 came right down in price. I'm going to steer clear of the XBox, but I did think about maybe having a closer look at the PS2.

The Cube controller is incredibly comfy. Hard to put it any other way. I've yet to play a game on the GC that didn't work perfectly with the controller layout.

We'll see about that as soon as Capcom vs SNK EO comes out though.

The PS2 seems like it might be more up your alley though, honestly.

Maybe you are right, Merc. Although, there are a few decent games that are coming to the Cube that I would not mind checking out.

Now that I think about it, the PS2 doesn't really have any decent features that I even need. I already have a DVD drive on my PC, for watching DVD movies. I also got a DVD decoder board for viewing the output on TV, which actually rocks, by the way. I have TV-out on my video card, but it isn't very good. Of course, it could be my TV, or my VCR (I had to hook TV out through the VCR, I don't have RCA inputs on my television). I already have an internet connection on my PC.

So, I might end up investing in the Cube. The more I think about it, the more I feel myself pulled towards it.

You're very easily swayed, aren't you Prend?

The controller for the Cube is excellent, and a big improvement over the one for the N64. I'm not relishing the prospect of playing Soul Calibur 2 with it, though. I can't imagine that tiny D-pad being much use.

Since Jonas (is it Jonas or Joonas, I can never remember) and Merc mentioned the X-Box, can you believe they discontinued Jet Set Radio Future? After Halo, it's the best game on the X-Box. How can it be selling that badly?

I have a Gamecube and it's... erm, it's really good. As far as controllers go, try the "Wavebird," Nintendo's wireless GC controller. It's the same weight as the regular one (though the rumble pack is replaced by 2 batteries), and has no lag or anything. It's quite cool to be able to sit across the room and play Eternal Darkness (A very un-kiddie and very very awesome game. If you can stand action and whatnot, it has a good story and some mildly interesting puzzles. I'd hope the puzzles will get better, but I'm only an hour into the game, and reviews say it has ~15-20 hours of gameplay)...

Also lets not forget Resident Evil (which is great fun despite play control worse than Grim Fandango) and the upcoming Metroid Prime. Yummeh.

Even the games that might appear kiddie, like Smash Bros Melee, the upcoming Zelda title, and even, like, Monkey Ball, are so damn fun you might just not notice the fact that its a cartoon (that or appreciate the great visuals despite their lack of blood and brooding green smoke).

The only thing I feel that I might be missing out on is Psychonauts... but in a year and a half or whenever, I'd expect XBoxes to be even cheaper, so maybe I'll be set to afford one by then.

I only played the prequel on the Dreamcast, but that is pretty horrible news. Sega seems to like to pull out of things these days, like pulling Shenmue 2 from the US Dreamcast because the first one didn't do well enough for them. It was, however, released fully translated in Europe, where just about every hardcore gamer in the US imported it from.

Sure, I could have waited year and a half for it to come out here on the Xbox, but why?

I think Jet Grind Radio Future didn't do so well due to the cel shading. No really. The Xbox, at least around America, seems to be a casual gamer's system, a system for one who cares more about how advanced their system is more than their games. I heard a lot of Xbox owners naysaying it because the graphics were 'utter ****' and 'nothing compared to Wreckless'. If people say it looks like ass, boom, there go the sales. It's unfortunate our ignorance leads to the downfall of great franchises, not to mention damn pretty looking ones.

Also, Microsoft is losing 1.1 billion next year on the Xbox alone. I know that's like a cancre sore to them, but it's not good business either.

edit: Jake's post came up while I was typing mine, so in response to his, I must agree, Monkey Ball is excellent. In fact, at parties it seems that the party games, namely Monkey Target, Monkey Bowling and Monkey Billards (8-ball) get more play than Smash Bros.

Resident Evil.. goddamn. I love it, it looks great, but the new mansion seriously messed with me, as I had the original one totally down, but with the shifts and additions like the forest, graveyard, all new puzzles.. quite a remake.

It's nice that Capcom will be selling the ports of 2 and 3 for only $20, since after all, they're just ports with few to no extras.

I'm reserving any judgement on Metroid Prime for the time being. It's looking better all the time though, I must say. On the other hand, the new GBA Metroid.. damn. The GBA is looking to become my favorite system again.

Metroid Prime seemed to be enjoyed by most if not all at E3. Just watching the game as played by other people made me want to buy it right off. Of course, everything is enjoyed more at E3 because you're playing it FIRST!

Well here are two games that I think look promising for the Cube. Those games are Bounty Hunter (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/starwarsbountyhunter/default.htm), and RTX Red Rock (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rtx/default.htm)

Bounty Hunter is coming out later on this year, but RTX Red Rock will not be released until something like early next year. Both have quite nice graphics, and hopefully, they will be great games.

It's nice to see that LucasArts have some original games coming up. RTX is one, and Gladius (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/gladius/default.htm) is another. I don't know about Gladius, it might be a really good game, but it really doesn't interest me a great deal. I'll wait until it is released, then I'll check out some reviews. If it gets great reviews, then maybe I'll check it out.

Two words, Smash Bros. No other game I have ever played has made me so excited. This game is the pinical of gaming perfection(until the sequle comes out anyway;) ) The Cube is one damn fine system Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Fox are all top notch games that I await. Bow befor the N.

Has the video game industry ever produced an experience as perfect as Super Smash Bros Melee with three friends? I am hooked on this game. Even if it weren't the greatest four-player game ever, any game that lets you have Ganondorf and Bowser smacking each other around was always going to stimulate my geek glands.

Eternal Darkness looks great, but I have to wait until October before it hits our shores.

The new Bomberman Generations is supposed to have great multiplayer action, as well.. and Eternal Darkness really is great, but highly succeptable to spoilers. (The way you experience the game can be quite different depending on how much you know in advance.)

I will be saving my pennies until 2003 to get an X-Box... Psychonauts looks way too good to pass up.

But I think the best system of all right now is definitely the Gameboy Advance. Portable Broken Sword can't be beat, plus plenty of SNES classics. And with an entirely new Metroid and a multiplayer Zelda coming, this system is a must have. Can't beat the price, either. Unless you have a really good beating utensil.

Oh, about the Gamecube controller issue... have you ever had the misfortune of attempting to manipulate an X-Box controller? It makes a lad weep. The cube's controller is like an extra appendage in comparison.

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

Has the video game industry ever produced an experience as perfect as Super Smash Bros Melee with three friends? I am hooked on this game. Even if it weren't the greatest four-player game ever, any game that lets you have Ganondorf and Bowser smacking each other around was always going to stimulate my geek glands.

Eternal Darkness looks great, but I have to wait until October before it hits our shores.

This is probably the first time ever that I've been in agreement with CShutt.

I had to sell my N64 to gain the funds for the Cube, so I can no longer play OoT or Majora's Mask. I aquired a copy of A Link to the Past at Cash Converters last week, so hopefully that will help fill the gap.

OoT was so much better than MM, I must replay it sometime.

I still have my N64 plugged into the back of my TV, Im too poor to buy a cube and I need some more stuff for my PC anyway.

I agree with you when you say Smash Bros is the best game ever. I have played the N64 version to death, brought it back to life and played it to death again, and I can't wait to get going on the Cube version.

I don't care if people say it's childish. So what. I'm childish. And there are still many non-childish titles being released.

I think they're releasing Final Fantasy X for the Cube, which will be great. I've also heard rumours that a Bonus-filled Metal Gear Solid 2 is coming to Gamecube as well as Xbox, but I doubt it, rumours are rumours and I don't recall my source. There's also Broken Sword 3, not to mention all the titles that have already been mentioned ;)

And it's selling at £130 in the UK! £130! I can't wait til it goes down in price :D

Conclusion: Nintendo rules.

Archived