Home

The Geonosian Arena WIP

DaJo Kesea

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COOOOOOOOOOOOL. the new bryce pic blows the other bryce pic away. this is incredible. now can you convert this to jkradiant easily? how is this going to work, and pleas dont say that its just a skybox, i want to run around up there and hide behind the giant wall, and once the co-op mod comes out, maybe someone could make those 3 beasts to fight as well, and it would be a shame to not be able to fight up there. great work.

Great work!

I agree with Klorel, that a co-op mode with this map or a multiplayer game-mode where you and a bunch of your fellow Jedi Players come up against 3 of those AI monsters, each packing a ****load of hit-points and taking ages to beat. Sure would be heaps of fun!

enough beta testing askers wait TILL he actually says something about beta testing lol and that new pic looks really good dude i can not wait for this level now :D good luck with it all and are you goin to scatter droid parts around it ?

Wow...your progress is looking quite nice. It might just be me, but the walls of the arena seemed a little more red in the movie, almost a clay color. But that's something you probably can't help at this point if you're using Bryce. I am pretty sure that a decent chunk of the arena was covered and in complete shade though, but I'm guessing you're aware of that from all the reference pics you have. I'll shut up now :)

Ok, I better get my butt out of Bryce and into Radiant. I think I have what I need to get some textures on the models.

To answer some of your questions:

[*]Getting the arena from Bryce to Radiant may not be easy at all. GtkRadiant (not JKRadiant) has a terrain constructor plugin called GenSurf that might work, but also might slow things down to 2fps! So we'll see. But I definitely plan on having places to fight OTHER than the arena floor, so the entire map will definitley not just be an oval surrounded by flat walls.

[*]I don't know anything about the new co-op mod, but that sounds cool. I would love to be able to have Jedi with multicolored sabers all on the same side, set up in a skirmish. And the idea for the arena beasts sounds awesome, but right now that is beyond my abilities and amount of time I have for projects like this. If anyone wants to look into building the arena monsters, animating them, and programming their actions, let me know. I'd be glad to implement that into a single player version, or multiplayer v2.0 of this map.

[*]Don't worry about the color too much at this point. Once I'm in Radiant and start putting up some screenies of the map, feel free to direct me in my placement of lighting so I get the proper hues for an arid, dusty, late afternoon climate.

[/list=1]

darthVADER, email me at jnday@prodigy.net, and we'll talk.

Again, thanks for all the beta tester offers. We'll get to that eventually, but you guys do have the right idea in posting your computer info. That's helpful, thanks. I'll be asking you all to raise your hands again for the job later on...just let me build it first! :D

Thanks for your all your support and your compliments about my Bryce work. The real meat has yet to come. If anyone has any more pictures of the arena, especially rare ones, please post 'em. I don't know if I can get this thing exactly like the movie, but with your help, I'll try. Here we go!

Uggh...back in school again.

My school goes year round, and I have a few night classes this quarter. I may not be able to post many updates for the next 11 weeks, but I'll keep checking here to see what you have to say. See you all soon.

I'm not too worried about the arena floor elevation. (The only concern I have with that is actually making the sound of crunching/shifting sand as Kyle or another character runs on it, rather than the standard "clop clop" of boots on stone or metal.)

I wanted to use the terrain constuctor to erect the giant walls and stadium around the arena floor.

That actually might be a cool addition to a co-op map(if what I'm proposing is possible). Someone in the modeling forum is building a low poly battle droid, planning to use an arena type level(maybe this one) to pit 3-8 jedi against hoards of droids. Maybe after death the jedi could respawn in groups after so many seconds in a LAAT and be delivered back to the arena. That would make quite the awsome level.

[edit]Or, even better(but more difficult), after killing the alotted number of enemies(and completing the level), the level could end with a couple of LAATs flying in, raking down the remaining droids, and delivering the remaining jedi to safety.[edit]

Winner_rex,

Neat idea! I just visited your thread, and you're doing a nice job. However, the LAAT does need a little bit more realistic detail. The pictures that were supplied by the person who replied to you should help you out greatly! Goodness, that scene went by too quickly in the movie for me to see all the complexities of those awesome ships! And look a the mini Star Destroyers in the background! Wow!

To the community, hey, if anyone wants to build some static prefabs like winner suggested, go ahead. Not sure exactly where I'll put them in the map, but it would be cool to have some direlict droid walkers and what not. I wonder if it is possible to put some working gun turrets (that you can sit in and activate) into a MP map, too?

One big question I have for all of you is how do I get a sky texture to emit light? And is the sky box supposed to cause a leak during the compile process? (Seems to load fine into JKII) I am underway here. But what I have to show right now would make you wonder how old or how sane I really am (LOL), so I'll just wait until I have something a little more substantial. I had a funny experience, though. For the temporary ground texture, I used Yavin's slip dirt. Never use this! Use Yavin gravel instead. Slip dirt is called slip dirt because it...well...makes you slip! When I tested the map, Kyle was sliding around like he was on ice skates, overly defying the rules of friction. It was hilarious! Oh well...back to designing!

Dang!

I am so looking forward to this map!!!

It is probably one of the most wanted maps IMO...

And the whole idea with battledroids and stuff.....

Just hope there will come a propper mod for co-op.....

What about....bot support?? This IS a plan in the project i guess?

(stupid question maybe)

Bot support is my intent. (I actually prefer loading it into SP and spawning a bunch of Reborn bosses...hehe...development is so much fun!..., but my goal for this level really is to make a nice MP experience.)

I'm learning as I go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to fully understand the skybox. Also, the BIG room on the ground level of the arena, the one surrounded by two domed rock formations... is that the room Anakin and Padme were brought out of, or the room that held the arena beasts? Anyone have any pictures of this room?

Dajo Before you add guns and stuff could I use your map in a sp mod. I already have most of the new npc jedi ready. I am pretty good, but not good enough to create a map of that quality. As always I will give you full credit as the author, in fact I will say you are the author of the sp level version. I was going to use all the new models coming out. Currently I have most of the jedi seen in the battle npced, and I know how to get them in maps. So if you could I would greatly apreciate it. I am quite good at designing large scale battles. I can also script pretty good. So if you would because I would love to make it for you.

Archived