Home

The Geonosian Arena WIP

DaJo Kesea

Wow.. I was going to start out with making this map like you. Not knowing much about Gtk and all. Thank god someone's doing it. :D I've seen 2 other Arena maps, one was big enough but not accurate enough. The other was kinda ugly, lol. This looks like it's coming along well, very well. I'll give any support I can. May the force be with your mapping skills. ;D

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No new screenies yet, but I'm pretty sure once I get through the tremedously slow process of carefully rotating the human rooms and beast rooms into place, and I can seal up the ground level, you will be pleased with what I have to show you!

Unfortunately, work and school are kind of top priority at this time. BUT, I continue to devote time each evening to the construction of the arena, and I assure you I'm taking my time to do it right. I was considering leaving a bunch of barely visible cracks created by the free rotation, but I noticed that they were getting a little larger in the corners, so I just slapped my mouse down on the mat and went to work in vertex mode. Now guess what?? The main entrance room and tunnel to the arena floor is COMPLETE, and rock solid. No cracks! I'll continue with each of the nine or more other rooms, and also work on a gate texture for the three beast rooms at the far end of the arena. Once the rooms are in place and Gtk Radiant seems stable, I will fill in the ground level walls and add my killer rock texture I'm sure you'll love (since it was sampled part from the movie, and part from real rock), and put up the pillars. The next screenshots will hopefully be of the arena floor at a good framerate.

Thank you all for your encouragement and patience in this process! I look at some of the other threads on this forum and I have to wonder about some of the people in this community. Obviously all of you are sane, mature individuals, and I thank you for your kindness and support!!! You're making this work!

Signing off for now.

That is sounding so cool m8! Of course you have to concentrate mostly on school and stuff...so am I from tomorrow, since I start on....dunno what it's called in other countries...but I am 16 (nearing 17, about 1½ month) and I'm starting at a whole new school...so I understand the whole fuzz about that...

But it sounds really good anyways!! An keep it up :D

I'm glad you guys haven't been hounding me about my lack of updates and what not. I am still working on it, but with my current schedule, I can only devote about 45 minutes to an hour each night. I have a day off tomorrow, so let me see what I can accomplish. An update, maybe? We'll see!

I just hope I get this project complete before people don't like Jedi Outcast any more! :D

don't worry. until a jedi game comes out that is based on the doom III engine, i don't think any of us are going to stop liking it. slicing baddies in half is far too much fun, not to mention pushing/dropping them off ledges, hurling lightning at them, blasting them to cinder and ash. . . now if only there were a way to impale them on spikes. there's a mod idea for someone with a twisted mind that leans towards the violent and gross. i'd download it.

Hi again.

The next major update is just about on it's way. All that is remaining to do on the ground level is texture the beast rooms and move them into place, followed by the creation of the surrounding walls. I sure hope the frame rate stays okay as I start building upward! But for the next update, which I am sure will get this room buzzing again, I'll just seal up the ground level with a sky roof and let you take a look at some screens of the battle ground and surrounding rooms.

Please note: My computer is fairly fast. If my computer keels over and dies during the testing of this early part of the project, there is no use trying to build this map for Jedi Outcast. I doubt that I'll have any less than 20 fps with 5 bots on the main arena floor, but if I am horribly wrong ( 1 fps and smoke coming out of the computer kind of wrong), I may have to close up shop. With my crazy schedule, I don't have time to go back to the drawing board. The editor is running very smoothly, though, and I trust those who have said that the editor will slow down before the game does. So, I don't think there will be anything to worry about.

Still not quite ready for that major update, but a teaser is available. Go to www24.brinkster.com/jnday.

My computer better not blow up! It'll be brand new! :D I'll be moving this project to another computer at the end of this month, so I will eventually need beta testers with oldie machines like the one I'm getting rid of. My new computer will be 2.2 Gig, leaving my old 550mHz machine in the dust.

You'll hear from me again soon.

i have a 733mhz, 640mb RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4200

my suggestion for backgroundmusicwould be either john_williams-love_pledge_and_the_arena wich is a soundtrack that beginns when padme tells anakin the she loves him, and continues till Dokuu does his speechthingy, although the .mp3 is 11mb :(. Another good track is john_williams-confrontation_with_count_dooku_and_finale, and as the title reveals, this soundtrack starts when anakin and obi-one goes after dooku.

Both tracks are pending between calm classical music, and 'action'music so they will both do well i think :) the map looks great btw...

Hi everyone!

Before I get to the main topic, I just want to address some of your questions. Folks with powerful computers are still welcome to test the map when it's ready, but those of you with the Pentium 733s and slower, and even folks with dreaded laptop ATI cards, please step forward.

If many of you start to hit the web site, it might resist a little. I'm not sure Brinkster is capable of handling a lot of hits. Best time to sign on is late at night. Nothing new right now though.

What a coincidence that all of you are starting to ask about music! That just happens to be my topic for this evening. A talented MP3 artist, who goes by the handle "Fatboy Roberts," has contacted me regarding the addition of some exciting music for the Geonosian Arena. I fell completely in love with his first sample, and I gave him some suggestions on tweaking it to add a little more musical color. He has produced a track that I am going to roll with (maybe a few more tweaks later, but awesome for now). It starts with the battle droid fanfare and theme, rolls nicely into the love theme, transitions out to a little of the Force theme (Ep. II variation of Throne Room), and then finishes with some heart-pounding action music from the last half hour of Episode II. The track is very high quality, and takes up about 7MB.

Kudos, Fatboy! Poke your head in sometime and say hello. Give him applause, folks. I'm a musician and somewhat of a recording artist myself, and he has sure done an awesome job (not to mention saving me some work)!

:::Sigh::: Well, with such an awesome soundtrack, I guess I just HAVE to finish this map! I'll get back to work.

aww, why the rolleyes?

Thanks for the props. Hopefully ya'll dig it. I might have to tweak a little more (it IS his map ;) ) but trust me, it's something you can most definitely get used having play in the background while you cut people up ;) If you want, I can also drop it from 192 down to 128, that should save you some space..I COULD cut it down to 96 even, I think I can compress it so the sound quality doesn't lack..

peacers,

Fatboy

Archived