Home

The Geonosian Arena WIP

DaJo Kesea

*EVEN BIGGER YAWN!*

I should get to bed!

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I completed the center part of the walls all around the arena floor. The good news is that it looks great! The bad news is that it is more patches. I have a feeling the majority of this map will be made of patches, and that I might fry anybody running a computer under 550mHz. The game slowed down for me when I was in the open areas on Artus and Bespin, but not too much so. It shouldn't be any worse than that.

A neat trick I discovered is that you can make a crooked, disfigured pillar by moving around a cylinder's vertices. Fun stuff! Just wait till you all see the tower I will construct with this method.

Quotation, it's an honor to be posted on JediKnightII.net, though I'm not sure I have much to show yet. But thanks!

Make sure you all grab some cool models to play with in this arena. Anakin, Clone Troopers, and some awesome Battle Droids are all floating around out there somewhere. And Klorel's Mace Windu is one I'm really waiting for!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey now, Hell isn't cool! :)

Just letting everyone know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. When you have as many design files as I have, and as much junk as I have both on and off the computer (physical, tangible junk you never knew you owned, you know?), the move to a new computer can be quite a long, drawn out endeavor. I'm in the process of getting stuff off my old computer and onto CD-Rs and ZIP disks for transfer. Yes, a network connection would be handy.

After I get all I need transferred over, I'll reformat the hard drive in the old computer, reinstall Win2K, and sell the sucker. I just hope Gtk Radiant works on Windows XP!

All for now.

Hey now, Hell isn't cool!

Lol, I was thinking the same.

I just hope Gtk Radiant works on Windows XP!

Im not a mapper but when I tried it, it worked. I have XP Professional.

when Klorel's Windu comes out

That's more an "if" at this point.

Hey, can't wait to see the major update, and as I noticed, my little word out to the public made on http://www.jediknightii.net made it back to where the map began(this thread).

Also, I have an AMD DURON 800 MHZ with 128 MB RAM and a voodoo3, so I can do a graphical read out on how much of a strain it will put on video cards, because my other rig is an AMD ATHLON 900 (overclocked (again) to 972, with 640 MB RAM PC133, GeForce4 Ti4200(well, soon anyways) and the ATI RADEON 7200 is going in the 800. soon I hope to upgrade the processor and RAM to past the 2ghz point and past 1gb of DDR RAM, but being jobless kind of puts that stuff on hold. but I will beta test it on the 800 and 900 for comparison for ya.

and so when you get to assigning beta testers, Dajo, I nominate myself as a potential tester. which would be useful because then I can do a review and in the same notion, make the review on http://www.jediknightii.net, so even MORE people will notice your recreation of the Geonosian Arena.. Anakin skywalker, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan vs 13 Battle droids... Schweet:) that should test out a pc pretty well ;) so, if you want, and possibly could, add me to the list of beta testers for when its come time, I can help get the word out for those who may not have seen my news post on the JKII.net site

Well, as Chris Kataan said in Night at the Roxbury.. LATER MUCH!

I'm a little anxious myself, but he did say he's in the process of transferring all his files and such from one new computer to another, that might take time.

But I DO want to get down on this duel map, most definitely.

.....and no, me doing the music has nothing to do with it ;)

Fatboy

Ok, I'm finally back in business. Well, sort of. Radiant is acting very wierd on XP. It won't let me turn off "Snap to Grid," it doesn't display all the textures correctly (I'll go into more detail about that), and it's running slow! 2.2 gig machine with a GeForce 4 MX, and it's slow??? It was actually faster on my old computer, but I've had some trouble with this graphics board in other things, like Flight Simulator. Maybe nVidia made a bad card?

Ok, here's the deal with the strange looking textures. Most of the textures appear as they should. The rock textures are fine, and so are a few others. But all of the textures that came with Jedi Outcast, along with a couple of my jpgs, look like they have been taken into Photoshop and posterized. Everyone familiar with that effect? It removes a lot of detail by reducing the number of colors in the image, giving a very stepped look. The good news is that I have been playing JKII again, and everything Raven supplied appears fine in the game. So maybe the editor is just being a pain in the rear.

As far as construction goes, I am making the ledges above the arena walls, along with the ones that line the floor. It took me a long time to do one because nothing would work right. Well, nothing until I chose my last resort, the thickened bevel, which is a processor hog, but serves a good purpose.

If anyone can offer suggestions for correcting my problems, especially the snap to grid issue, I'd sure appreciate it! And don't worry. I have no intention of abandoning this project. It might take me into December or so, because I absolutely must concentrate on school projects and my job, but it will get done. Just hang in there, and don't get bored slicing people up in JKII. :D

All for now.

geforce 4 MX. . .eeeeew. . .it's not a bad card as in it won't run anything, but it is in the sense that it isn't a real geforce 4. it's actually basically just a slightly beefy geforce 2. even a geforce 3 is better, even though the number is smaller. the main reason is that the 4 MX (as well as 2) didn't have all the hardware devices and pipelines and such, which is why the 4 MX can't do direct X 8 (as possibly used by flight simulator, depending on how new your version is), let alone 9 for when doom III comes out. so, for the future, it is a bad card and actually can only do stuff about half of what a real geforce 4 can do, but on the other hand, it's a value card, so if someone wanted a card to run basic games well, it would be fine.

with all your patches in this level, i am imagining that, even with XP, you are going to notice bad things in game with that MX. i am almost guessing that this level is going to have a minimum requirement of 850 mhz processor w/ at least a high end geforce 3 or radeon 8500. not good news, but one must face it with a map this large, this "in view", and this complex.

geforce 4 MX. . .eeeeew. . .it's not a bad card as in it won't run anything, but it is in the sense that it isn't a real geforce 4. it's actually basically just a slightly beefy geforce 2. even a geforce 3 is better, even though the number is smaller.

Exactly.

Concerning my GeForce 4 MX card...

That's good info to know. Too bad I didn't ask around before I bought my new computer. However, this card does support DirectX 8 and all its fancy features. You just have to give it a little push now and then. For instance, when you load FS2002, the reflections and details won't show up initially in the water or on the sides of the planes. But if you enter the actual game, go to the Select Aircraft screen, Alt Tab to the desktop, and then Alt Tab back to the game, the graphics are reset, and the card displays all the special effects beautifully.

Eventually I'll get a better graphics card, but I need my money to build up now. The new computer rocked my savings account a bit. I'll do the best I can at optimizing this level for low-end computers, but I don't know how successful I'll be. If it's absolutely a mess on my 2.2 Gig processor, well.... we'll see.

-Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Just an idea...

How about putting some of that music that was played at the end of the Ep. II trailer "Clone War" somewhere in this cool selection of music you have ready for this map.

The music played at the end of the trailer is an edited version of the last section of "Forest Battle" from ROTJ. This last section never actual made it into the ROTJ film, so I think it would be nice to here some of it in this map.

:D :D :D

Padawan_7

Hey I have

PIII 850mhz 100mhz FSB

10x DVD

10GB hardrive

384mb sdram

XP professional

xtasy Geforce 4 420mx PCI (SUX because I only have PCI cause I bought comp from BEST BUY, I was using ATI radeon 7000 64ddr but that sucked big time!) My averrage framerate in JO is now 40fps

So anyway I guess I am screwed when it comes time to play this level! :(

I like what I see though:)

I ALMOST edited that forest battle stuff in there--but I thought there was a better piece from the Episode II soundtrack to choose from (also used in the tv commercials, the "Conveyor Belt" track) and so I put that in there instead.

But the concert arrangement of the Forest Battle IS great stuff. Maybe someone will make an endor map and I'll pimp myself out to hook up the music for them ;)

peacers,

Fatboy

Archived