Home

DoubleFine Mail Reply

Oystein

I didn't say I was sick of all FPS games, I said I was sick of the FPS games which only recycles things we have seen before.

When it comes to sequels, I don't think you can justify them except if the story continues throughout the games. Like in Deus Ex. But if it's a sequel with a whole new story, and with the same characters, then that game surely will be crap. I prefer quality over quantity.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a console, because otherwise, you can't play (many) games from these pretty much console-exclusive developers:

- Squaresoft games

- Nintendo games

- Capcom games

- Namco games

- Sega games

- Konami games

With consoles, you know for a fact that the game you are buying will work at it's maximum potential.

With consoles, you don't have to install games, or wait as long to play them (It's quicker to load a console game than a PC game).

Consoles cater for different genres than PCs - Consoles do certain games well, and certain games badly - exceptions, of course - Consoles are great for Beat Em Ups (Smash Bros, Street Fighter), Racing Games (Ridge Racer, Mario Kart etc), Action Adventure (Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Res Evil), Sports games (ISS Pro, Virtua Tennis), RPGs (Squaresoft), and other arcadey titles like shooting games etc (Sega, Nintendo).

PC's are great for Adventure Games (Duh), First Person Shooters, Simulations etc, Real Time Strategy. RPGS (The different, Diablo kind), etc etc.

Some genres work for both sides, but, for example, Adventure Games are usually slow loading and lacking graphics etc on consoles, and Beat em ups are usually hard to control on PCs.

Stop trying to pick the winner, and get a console and a PC. And you probably already have a PC, unless you're browsing on your Dreamcast.

Stretch Panic was "Innovative and new", but by no means did that make it a good game.

Well, that's the problem isn't it. Trying something new is risky, and it doesn't always come off - you never quite know if it will work until it's there. It's safe to do something that's worked in the past.

frankly, the only innovations left are gimmicky.

I sincerely hope that's not true. Certainly lots of innovations are gimmicky (Such as the aforementioned same-game-different-guns, type of 'innovation').

But I remember, long ago, when each game was actually a different game. Sure, there were genres, but they were much broader than they are now. Today, each 'genre' is like a single game, with a few slight variations. I've played FPS, RTS, RPG, Adventure, & Platformer, and sometimes I like to go back and play them again in their newer forms, but I'd also like to play some new games.

There are, for me, only 2 reason to get a console.

Tekken Tag tournament and Halo.

Pay 350-400 bucks (that's what those things cost over here) for one game, and I can't have both since they're on different platforms, seems kinda stupid to me. I usually don't like console gaming. Too much "be fast enough" for me. Tekken is cool though since you can actually figure out the moves by just looking at them and thinking. As opposed to games like street fighter were the combinations seem completely random.

Play a real fighting game like Virtua Fighter 4. Tekken is simplistic and very overated. If you actually played Street Fighter, you'd realize that the move combos are almost always quarter or half circle rolls, forward or back, or holding back for two seconds then forward. Not random at all, in fact, very easy to experiment with and figure out (quarter circle forward rolls are almost always fireballs). Hell, all the moves are universal standards besides Tekken, Soul Cal, Virtua Fighter and a couple others. Being universal as they are, all you have to figure out is strategy, something Tekken is sorely lacking.

Gaming is not for the slow minded. I like my games fast, hard and intense, RPGs and Adventure games exempt, but then again I'm a huge Old School and Neo-Geo fan.

Halo is very good though, even though I'm not much of an FPS fan.

Mercatfat is right. You'll be sorely dissapointed by TTT. If you want to have a 3d fighter go with Virtua Fighter 4. IMO 2d fighters are about 1/2 as good as 2d games. The moves are there...but all of the combos are pre-determined, there is less strategy and (oddly enough) 3d fighters never take advantage of the extra deminsion--except for maybe VF4 evades--most 3d games are just run-down 2d fighters that have 3d models instead of sprites.

Also, in Street Fighter the moves are hardly random. They go with the flow of the character. Dudley (from SF3:TS) has many dashing moves. Half circle forward and punch makes him real back slightly and then careen forward. Dragon punches movement start forward and then go upwards, just as its shown on screen in the actual move.

BTW Halo is coming out for the PC anyway so there isn't a real reason to get an Xbox (unless you want to play Psychonauts, but it looks like a couple upcoming PS2 platformers will beat it out in terms of gameplay).

Agreed on that point, although Soul Calibur is a great game. The Tekken's are far too easy (Excluding the original Tekken) and I prefer playing Capcom games.

There are a few problems with the Capcom games though:

- They're all basically the same - Excluding the 3D ones like PowerStone, Ex Plus Alpha, Rival Schools etc.

- They completely f**k up tour thumbs. An hour on Marvel versus Capcom, and my left thumb has no skin left on it. Maybe that's just the Dreamcasts fault, I don't have any of the 2D games for my PSX or N64, although I need Capcom Generations.

And I think that people should stop hyping Psychonauts, hype only really leads to dissapointment.

The thickness of my thumbs is insane.

Super Puzzle Fighter IIx is excellent. It may not be a fighting game, per se, but I think it's even better than Tetris, even moreso if you're playing multi.

I like Soul Cal, even if it's not the deepest fighter ever. It's by no means my favorite, but I can pull it out at a party and everyone regardless of whether or not they've played it before can do okay after a few rounds. Unless I'm playing Voldo, of course, in which case I own them.

I remember when I first got Alpha 3 for my PSX. I got this giant blister after playing for 3 hours straight...I didn't want to stop, so I just put on a leather glove and kept on playing. I think that puts me in the 'hardcore' gamers category don't you think?

Anyway, the Dreamcast is pretty bad for the thumbs...just have to get used to it. After your thumb thickness increases there's no problem.

Originally posted by mercatfat

Super Puzzle Fighter IIx is excellent. It may not be a fighting game, per se, but I think it's even better than Tetris, even moreso if you're playing multi

Yeah, Super Puzzle Fighter rocks, although it is a rip off of Baku Baku. Puyo Puyo also rules :D

Originally posted by manny_c444

I remember when I first got Alpha 3 for my PSX. I got this giant blister after playing for 3 hours straight...I didn't want to stop, so I just put on a leather glove and kept on playing. I think that puts me in the 'hardcore' gamers category don't you think?

Pah. I wrapped my thumb up in sellotape in order to carry on with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 :)

Baku Baku!

Well done for mentioning that Scabb, its a fantastic game.

That and Super Foul Egg on amiga could keep me happy for months.

I, myself have always preferred the Sega fighting games to Capcom/Tekken ones. Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers are great games.

Archived