Home

1.03a, fanmod, or jk++?

MrPink

I found U104 to be the smoothest, however it is problematic in that it's quite difficult to run the server pure so i gave up.

1.03a+ is pretty good and the download is fairly small. much like the U104 except its not quite as slick. but very playable.

However my mod of choice has to be the DUEL_SE mod by NITEMARE, its got configurable damage and u can reduce the chance of knockdowns from a kick, and also reduce the damage dealt by said kick. minimum of 1hp.

Best of luck to you.

Jah

Fully agreed on 1.04.

I prefer Ghoul 2 off though - minimal blocking - see sig for more info - on that. Yes I know I keep saying that, but I don't want to keep posting the same thing over and over. This is minimal intrusion.

It's also the most stable mod with the least tweaks - just enough for proper balance.

And it is made by Raven.

I use DUEL_SE on my server. Its the only mod that does not nurf the saber and make you feel like your swinging a wiffle ball bat. And like Jah said you can lower damage for kicks and throw so it promotes using the saber for your primary method of attack. It reduces ass-fighting but it does not nurf the backstab. You can check it here - http://www.nitemares.de/duel_se/

I was looking at that, but the sabers seem too powerful, and much of this can be done by lowering blocking (see sig).

Also, I noticed that multiple duels servers tend to make FFA into a multi-duel fest where people complain about others getting in the way of duels all the time - so I stay away from any mod that forces multiple duels.

These are just my 'running an FFA full force saber only server' opinions. :)

MrPink, that really depends upon you. Many other mods didn't do anything to the saber code, so you're pretty much getting 1.03 without the pull/backstab manuever. JK2++ adds more saber damage. Yes, it's easier to die, but it also requires skill to stay alive. It really depends upon your background and what you prefer. I prefer JK2++ saber fighting over any others, but that is my personal opinion.

As for the multiple duels, you sure did change your mind fast on that one, QS. I could understand if guns were involved, but for a saber only server? It's just a bunch of whining. It's not like they get hurt by the interference. Just my $0.02

From these three I'd have to say 1.04.

Raven did a FANTASTIC job in balancing out the game, especially for duels.

So I use 1.03a+, that basicall is 1.04 with kick doing NO damage (I have to say I feel this change is REALLY important to the game's balance).

-> i LIKE what Raven did with 1.03a,great balance, so I tried to keep as close to this as possible with my MOD.

It has some changes to throw as well, that I feel make throw more 'real' and less spammable (while still beeing powerfull), but since I always get this NASTY saber throw bug with every 1.03a MOD I had to disable throw anyway :(

I might add that with the 1.04 mod, the blue uppercut move is way overpowered, virtually a 1 hit kill.

That was one of the main reasons i switched to DUEL_SE so i could tame the uppercut a bit!

I got a bit fed up of people crouching and creeping round looking for an easy uppercut kill.

AGREED! The 'blue uppercut' is the one move I consider overpoweered myself. But not due to some massive damage it might do... it doesn't do more than the other specials, I think it's jsut way to easy to execute. My idea is to have a delay.. you need to be ducked for about 1.5 seconds before you could uppercut... so it wouldnt be usable as a surprise move, and ducking when the enemy is close to you just to upeprcut will surely not be *that* a good idea.

Anyways removing some of the damage is maybe the easiest sollution... ;)

Multiple duels are much better then standing around waiting for a duel to finish. I think its so cool to see 2 or 3 duels going on at the same time. Accidents do happen and that's life but most players try to stay out of the way of another duel. The people that don't are probably the same people that get in the way even if they are not dueling. Actualy people getting in the way is more likely when you have only one duel cause they get bored sometimes and they just run around and I have seen this. Well if someone is purposely being disruptive then they need to get kicked no matter what MOD you may be running.

So MrPink at least try out the three mods that you listed and try out duel_se. I found that duel_se gave me the best otpions to balance the gameplay. And it brought the focus back to saber expertise making it very exciting and fair. You can adjuct everything with saber damage, special moves, backsweep, saber throw, and kick.

From the Duel_SE readme it looks like he made the backstab just as bad as it was in 1.03:

//by NITEMARE

cvars: default original(source code release)

saber_bluebsmax 70 30

saber_bluebsmin 15 2

saber_bluespmax 20 30

saber_bluespmin 5 2

saber_blue 30 35

saber_yellowbsmax 70 25

saber_yellowbsmin 16 2

saber_yellowspmax 80 80

saber_yellowspmin 45 2

saber_yellow 60 60

saber_redbsmax 85 30

saber_redbsmin 32 2

saber_redspmax 180 180

saber_redspmin 32 2

saber_redmax 120 120

saber_redmin 70 2

//sp= special

//bs= backstabb

Is that not true?

It seems very few people who are replying have tried JK2++, but then again maybe you have. Like Rage said before, it really depends on what you like. Mods like 1.03a and 1.04 really didn't change anything except remove backstab, which was a bad move in the first place. But if you truly are into lowered saber damage and long, long battles, that's fine.

I like JK2++ the best because it has higher saber damage, because it has a fast paced, no fooling around business. The guns carry enough ammo, and they hurt. If you're looking for a mod that is balanced out well for a fast-paced, no non-sense gaming, then JK2++ is the mod to choose really. Backstab is not a problem in this version of the game, nor are any of the saber moves for that matter. Unless you like to fool around or go for a more friendly, or cinematic saber battle feel.

Of course, this isn't to say that 1.03 is a non-sense game, if you ask me, I like one-hit kills with the saber. In fact, if you asked me, damage for all the stances should be hiked up so they acted to be 1-2 hit kills. From my experience playing on some fast servers, you can't fool your opponent more than once or twice before everything else from outside gets to you and you're dead, hence the reason pull/backstab is used so often in 1.03. I didn't care that sabers could kill like that in 1.03, i just wished that all the moves could do that so more depth could be in the game, and I wished push/pull were a little less effective, which was done in JK2++.

To conclude my usually long posts... yeah... it's all about taste. You want to play the standard, do 1.03. You want to play a faster paced game that relies more on getting all sorts of near lethal physical combat moves in, do JK2++. If you want drawn out, extended lightsaber battles in which you flog your opponent to death, choose 1.03a or U104. Just make sure you're having a good time.

QuietSith the fact that you can't spin while in a backsweep and you can't pull or push people down very easily is enough to change the backsweep into a useful move at the right moment but if someone tries to use it as their primary method of attack it just won't be effective enough and they will lose.

In DUEL_SE backsweep can still be a one hit kill just like DFA, med finisher, and a good old fashion heavy chop. Its just more blockable and its harder to pull off. You just dont see people running around backward on my server anymore. They know they will lose if they play that way.

I don't like to nurf any moves. I think the more deadly moves in the game the better. It makes the game more exciting and fast-paced. You could lower those numbers but I wouldn't. If you look at the origial code (104) numbers they TOTALLY nurfed backsweep.

I have said from its release that U104 was the way to go. :)

I have not met anyone yet who really likes JK2++

Quiet Sith, who originally promoted JK2++, now uses U104 on his server.

Duel SE is also great, especially the admin options. The more I play it, the more I like it, as much now as U104. It's tough deciding between these two, so I play both.

I'll promote the usage of any mod.

All I can say is that 1.04 feels well balanced, and not extreme in one sense or another. I personally like having saber battles taking awhile to complete, and having great variation in all the saber stances.

You have to understand that I'm running a full force saber only FFA server - so there are different needs involved.

I don't need to do anything to defend 1.04 - the #'s speak for themselves - the server is often constantly full, which is why I upgraded it to 16 players.

It's also made by Raven.

With that said, I'll run it on my server until Raven comes out with a new patch.

I hope more servers run a variety of different mods and settings.

That way players can have many choices like they do with HL, Q3, and other games. Variety is the best thing in my opinion.

Of course, since I pay for my server, I run it my way.

That's all. :)

first of all thx people for the credits here. tho i did not invent this damage cvar system (cowwithoutbrain did) i used it and build up as may cvars as needed to allow admins to ballance out their server. the damage system of the backstabbs ist not compareable to the old 1.03. raven forgot to nerf those like they did with the red stance and so on. the medium dfa and the backstabbs did not have any ramping system to alter the damage along with the animation time. so if u look at those values i made default, please do not judge them before u did not check them out. it realy depends on the situation how much damage they deal. i tested it out for a long time and found those settings the best. but ofcourse there is no such thing like the perfect settings. gameplay evolves and the players do. so i had to use cvars to make sure that u can spontanously change them. if i get it right the u1.04 mod is practicaly not changed except the kickdamage? then i dont know why one would choose it above mine! i included the original values wich i found in the source code and so admins can change damage back to what it was and is in the u104 mod. but stil they can adjust stuff that annoys people...

btw i included more stuff in to duel_se than just this. i admit that ffa games with multiple duels are somewhat chaotic and no good alternative to the duel games. i have a server too and tried it out but it made no sense. people need guidance. so i tried to include features that make these duels in ffa games better. duelffa 1 is the command! but there is still much to do. ok no there is no stress with stupid players bashing around brainlessly, because u are invincible with the saber holstered. and no one can soke up shield before a duel to make it unfair. um wait they can but shield does not absorp damage with duelffa on, hehhe. that is why one cannot switch the saber out during a duel. but of what use is this? i hate those wannabe cool dewds who think they are l33t if they switch their saber on and off during a fight. for the future plan to make mutliple duels just as good as normal duel gametype. that would be great for ladders. imagine the possibility to challange somebody to a fight and then just go on the server and duel him without having to book the server for next week or stuff. ok for the average server that would not be exciting enough so i plan of an advanced duel gametype that does not have just to people dueling but 4. so if u lose in the main arena u get spawned in the loser arena and u have to win there so to get up again and be tied for the win! but i am dreaming again. i feel like i already acomplished to much for a non coder like me heh. for the future i need some coders! stop fooling around on some frustrating becaus impossible to acomplish utopic mod! and come to me and be the god of decent gameplay!

other features for team games are in development too. i recently made an option whitch lets u choose if u want jedis and mercs split up in team games. so they can mix and complete eachother. then u can make mercs to spawn with a sniper and detpacks if u want. i also included a special set of saber throw features from florian1000 (strong forces mod). now it depends on the stance u r in how throw works. not only the damage is higher in medium or heavy stance but also the speed is lower and in heavy stance the saber doesnt rotate but hovers forward like a thrown spear. i have not tested this saber throw system yet and i cant make it an option so i wont release the mod yet...

Wow Nite it sounds like you have some good stuff in store for us in the future. Keep up the good work!

Quiet, no one should ever tell you what to run on your server especially since you pay for your server and you don't make any money from it. I hope I didn't come off like that. I think you should try DUEL_SE on your local PC for testing though. Nite said it best in that you can put backstab damage excatly as it is in 104. That is what those (original) values are. I think its listed there so that you could change those cvars and backstab would be exactly as it is in u104.

You still benifit with DUEL_SE becuase you can set saber throw damage, kick damage, how often you fall after a kick, and more. I have found that by lowering kick and throw damage a little it has made it less effecive to fight like a boomerang throwing, kick boxing, ninja warrior. It is much more effecive to fight like a jedi.

I not trying to make you change anything about your server so please don't take it that way. I really just trying to spead the word about the nitemare's duel_se mod.

Originally posted by QuietSith

I'll promote the usage of any mod....

I don't need to do anything to defend 1.04 - the #'s speak for themselves - the server is often constantly full, which is why I upgraded it to 16 players.

It's also made by Raven.

Of course, since I pay for my server, I run it my way.

That's all. :)

Yes, and your running 1.04, not JK2++ anymore, which was a simple statement not meant to be disrespectful towards your decisions in any way.

Nightmare,

Just so you know, U104 changed a lot more than kick damage.

It fixed the bluestance backflip lunge bug, where you now have to complete the flip before starting the lunge, it corrected the blue stance fall without taking damage bug, BS and finishers killing those with full shields and health in one hit, and some other stuff as well.

Duel_SE is being run on our groups server and has been lots of fun thus far for us. I am looking forward to the additions you speak of. :)

Kaan

heh no i did not meant what ravens source code changes. i know all that and it is in every mod except some which have set some features back, but who needs that anyway. i was talking about what has been modified from the original sourcecode. and that is kickdamage. but the name is still correct since there are no more changes, so it deserves to be called u104...

to bad the coding forum is not much of a hep to someone like me who is at the end of simple tweaks. what i need is some c++ newb or pro, doesnt matter. for what i've seen so far it doesnt take a real pro to make good stuff running. even a code ignorant grafikdesigner like me did this and that. what i am good at is game designing. i have practical ideas which could realy help improving gameplay. an those above are not all! i hope some guys will help me soon. have to try it on the coding forum again...

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

I have said from its release that U104 was the way to go. :)

I have not met anyone yet who really likes JK2++

Quiet Sith, who originally promoted JK2++, now uses U104 on his server.

I don't believe that.

Gunners and CTF'ers love it.

The competitive commuinity is taking very well to it, and we hope to get the ladders playing it very soon.

Also, I was more saberist than gunner in 1.02, and I love the sabering as well. Perhaps that's because I like

intense, skilled fights where you cannot afford a mistake more than, as Dr. Shaft said, flogging your opponent to death. With the [WD] server being the only server running the latest build because it isn't public yet, I can honestly say that I love sabering once again. No spam, just awesome, skilled, dueling action.

Add to that, I really do not believe that 1.03, 1.03+ and u104 have balanced force powers at all. JK2++ puts everyone on level ground, dark and light.

Concerning multiple duels, I like it a lot.

In a saber only FFA, you can do whatever you want, but sometimes, I'm just looking for a duel. Nobody is forcing you to duel, but it is an alternative to waiting 5+ minutes for your turn.

Keep in mind that jk2++ is still in beta, so even if you don't like the current public version, (beta 3) we'd like you to check out 1.0 when it is released.

Archived