Home

Can I translate games with scumm revisited?

Murray Calavera

Mmmh... let's see... there IS a way, but you can't use longer texts than the original ones. Use LucaStrip to decode the data files (they're XORed). Then you can edit texts with an hexeditor. A good editor is Hexposure. Once you have edited (and saved) the file, use LucaStrip again to re-encode the datafiles. If all was right, you'll see the new dialogues into the game.

Note that special codes are used to insert line breaks and other Scummish stuff (you can use these codes, too).

Editing in-game conversations this way is not easy, but at least it's possible.

Gracias apoqueo, pero lo metodo de moebius es muy bueno, muy parecido com lo que dició

(sorry for my poor spanish, but I am from Brazil, as you may know, portuguese and spanish are very alike)

Thank you apoqueo, but the moebius's way is very good, it is actually very similar to the one I found on your message

Thanks for all the hellp guys, I am getting the hang of Hex now, and I am around 1/4 done with monkey island

thanks a lot to apoqueo, moebius and the other who helped me

Yes, the method explained in the webpage that apoqueo pointed is the same as I suggested.

Time ago I tried to change the full Monkey Island 2, but I hadn't enough spare time. Even so, I learned some tricks that you can use when modifying datafiles:

Making .TBL files

Hexpose (that hex editor) can make a sort of "translation table" that maps hex codes to more useable symbols. Open a datafile in Hexpose, and search for an option called "Save .TBL" in the menus: it'll create a basic map file. Then search for conversations with special codes like the spanish "ñ", or other like "¡", "á", "é" and so on. Add them to the .TBL file (the format of the file is very easy). Now reopen the datafile with Hexpose: the special codes appear translated in the text window! And you can type that characters in the text window and thy will be translated to the appropiate hex code when saving the file! Note that you can map an hex value to more than one character.

Special codes

Scumm uses several special hex codes into strings: thay are used to insert line breaks, delays... I don't remeber them now, but they are easy to find as they appear in the middle of text strings: just try to figure yourself what that code does by playing the game. You can map them into the .TBL file, too. Note that are two and one-byte codes. These opcodes can be inserted anywhere into a text string.

Line starts/ends

There are codes for the beggining and the end of strings. Add the codes for that codes into the .TBL in order to "see" lines better. I used ">>>" for begginings and "<<<" for endings.

Hope these tricks will be useful to you ;)

Archived