Home

Official JKII 1.04 Patch Thread

SaberPro

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't post much, but I read almost everyday. For a while, I used 1.03 and didn't really like the ridiculous blocking rate. I switched back to 1.02 recently, but decided to give 1.04 a try.

I don't play online much at all, but I play on a LAN at school in the fall pretty frequently; there may or may not be a lot of things about playing online that I don't really understand or know about. In any case, I've found that my biggest problem with the post 1.02 saber style is the low damage...the blocking would actually be pretty cool if the sabers were dangerous in the first place. Playing 1.04 for a while, I liked a lot of the little fixes, such as being unable to run backward as quickly, but the damage thing was still a problem. I kind of found a solution, though.

I don't mean to put this across as a be-all to end-all fix to everyone's problems, but it works for me. Enter the following console command in multiplayer:

g_saberDamageScale 3

The default value for the command is 1. Playing with the command entered for a while, I've noticed that Light Stance is about a 3 clean-hit kill, Medium is a 1-2 clean-hit kill, and Heavy Stance is almost always a 1 hit kill when it connects. As a big-time Star Wars fan, I've always felt the sabers should function this way; the Jedi did not charge into battlefields full of gunners with only their lightsabers because they were stupid. Also, I like the blocking in 1.04 now, because it only takes a few good hits to bring down an opponent. Duels last just the right amount of time...I like it even more than 1.02, which I always felt lacked in blocking just a bit.

Once again, let me reiterate that I don't think everyone will like this game style. I'm just putting it on the table as an open suggestion; also, I can't believe this hasn't been discovered before, so if anyone knows anything about this command and how it affects the game that I might not be aware of, please let me know. As of now, I've noticed the following items:

- The damage doesn't seem to affect the shield belt. It takes down health faster with a good hit, but it doesn't seem to take down shields as quickly...I might be wrong.

-Idle damage is not increased...it is still set at 1 point per pulse. I did notice idle damage happening a bit more, however...I could be imagining this too.

Please, if you know anything about this command, like it, hate it, or anything in between, respond. Be civil, however...these boards get ugly really quickly, and it's kind of sad. If you have something to say, but take the 10th grade approach, I won't flame you, I'll just ignore you. Thanks.

It sounds great Ebuch,

I'd like to try the increased saber damage sometime, especially since I never got a chance to play 1.02 online before 1.03 got out...

I think it might make for some interesting changes when it only takes 2 hits to kill your enemy..... Damn short duels I foresee....

Simple re-load you game and play 1.02. Kicking too much there gets you killed in a hurry. Don't believe me? Challenge any PDJ player in 1.02. They love Kickers!

As far as 1.03 and 1.04 - Ewok is right - Kick or be Kicked!

By the way 1.04 doesn't seem like a real patch. It plays just like 1.03 with very minor changes. I was hoping to get a more 1.02ish feel back but its not too bad. DFA is still nerfed too much and heavy style still looks like your lightsaber is too heavy for you to be using. Kinda like a 5 year old with a baseball bat.

I will use throw pull and kick until my fingers bleed thanks for taking Backstab out, you made my life much easier.

Originally posted by ryudom

saber fights are longer because jedis have force and predict where saber is going

*sigh*

Saber fights are long when both Jedi are skilled at saber combat. Did you see the movie that just came out? Did Dooku take long with mini-vader or Obi-dies-later? No! Why because he was better. 1.02 was like that, good long duels only happened when two good players fought eachother. 1.03 and 1.04 make for long battle because players have mysterious blocking ability that no jedi,...i repeat...NO JEDI... ever had in any movie! Even vader couldn't block with his back.

Funny to see all this commotion over kicking when it really only effects those who play ff sabers, which really has 95% about force and 5% about the saber. In nf sabers kicking isnt a problem. In ffa or ctf with guns, kicking is of little concern. Even in duels in those types of servers kicking does no damage. Overall kicking isnt a major issue.

While reading this thread, I keep saying to myself, "What a pathetically boring life some of these people must lead." If all you are going to do is KICK, you must not have anything else to do with your life. Personally, I try to find servers where there are skilled saberists who do not bore themselves to tears with pull/kick/throw combos. In fact, it is quite funny to watch some moron enter a server like that, talking trash and trying to use that combo, only to get creamed by a skilled player (without kicking even LOL).

Anyway, I like the new patch. It gives us saberists more of what we enjoyed before 1.03. I like the scaled-back backstab and the push/pull nerfing the most. I especially like the laugh I get at watching all you kickwhores out there thinking that you actually have any skill. You don't, because if you did, you'd be using a saber.

Here's my two cents.

So far, the patches have gone in the wrong direction. The complaining about certain game aspects have always brought about one result: the removal of a game aspect.

A backstab kills you, but normal swings do not. The complaint - backstab spam. Sure, it's warrented. It's not a cheap move, it's a smart move, but since it's the only smart move you have with the saber, it makes the game monotonous and funny looking. The solution to that would have been to make it more blockable AND increase saber damage on normal swings by a great deal. That way, you have fifty swings (okay there's probably less, but you get the point) that kill instead of one. The solution people wanted was the downright removal of backstab, or to make it take less damage. And I still always ask "when the hell are you going to use a backstab if it doesn't kill someone? Why turn all the way around to get in some stupid power ranger pose to hit someone if it doesn't finish the job?" But oh well.

I knew 1.04 would just remove all dangerous aspects of the game and turn it into a long "no killing me in stupid ways" kind of game. AT least in 1.03 I had to fear getting killed by backstab pull. It was a boring way to die, and the pull thing was streamlining game stradegy, but at least I felt danger. Now, everyone is free to charge at each other and fear nothing. Gunners will forever be told to go away because they can kill people so much quicker. The game becomes less dynamic.

Raven made a great game in my opinion, but because of mass opinions and complaints, they've decided to change the game for the customer benefit. Unfortunately, public opinion has been more steam and anger rather than straight thought. The solution to the saber problem is simple. Look at JK1. The first game. In this game, the heavy swing took an opponent from 100 health 100 shields (like 100/25 in jK2) to 2 health. If a person was gripped real quick, then hit, they died. Of course, JK1's saber combat was limited and stiff, but now we have this much more dynamic system. We can keep the lethality of the saber, make it kill someone fast, like one hit, or even two sometimes, put in your parry and blocks, and the problem is solved. Backstabbers won't be a problem, because while they turn around, you move out of the way, click the button, and their dead. You want a long saber battle... get good at not getting hit at all. And hitting the perosn precisely. Block correctly, as in keep your distacne. Don't rub up against the person. Then you have long intense duels. Tired of gunners? WEll, if you're saber actually could kill someone when you needed it to, as in one good hit, then you'd have a lot of fun fighting gunners. Hate kick? It can't be blocked you say? Who cares? if you have high damage, then it's just fine to take the 20 unblockable damage, my saber is going to cut through your foot and kill you anyway. Now the kick is only good when used with proper timing.

The point of is, when we complain, we keep asking for stuff to be removed. This is totally off. This game isn't counter strike. We're not dealing with an awp, or gun aim that is too good, or bunny hopping. We're just dealing with certain attack methods being weaker or less effective than others. The solution was not to remove the stronger elements. The solution was to just make the weaker elements stronger.

There are a variety of mods out there that aim to do this.

JK2 ++ is my favorite. It has the 1-2 hit kill system. No, this is not because sabers are 1337 and everyone should die to a chopping maniac. Blocking is still in the game, it's still easy to push, kick away, and even put your saber out first to kill the person. Also, gunners now have something to fear from the glowing wiffle stick. The pull and push system is adjusted, knockdowns are few, but manipulating a person is still in. So yes,, if you like pull/kick, it's there. The guns have ammo, but not too much. Force power usage has been brought back up. I believe several posts already mention where the boards are. Try out the game. If it peaks your interests, or you think there's just one aspect missing there, try posting your thoughts intelligently and everyone will discuss it in turn. There's other mods out there, and I"m sure their great for other stuff. but if you're looking for a mod that seeks to put everything on an equal level, and works for a faster paced game, not quick quake 3 rocket launcher, but fast, 10-20 minute gaming, then try JK2 ++

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

Here's my two cents.

So far, the patches have gone in the wrong direction. The complaining about certain game aspects have always brought about one result: the removal of a game aspect.

A backstab kills you, but normal swings do not. The complaint - backstab spam. Sure, it's warrented. It's not a cheap move, it's a smart move, but since it's the only smart move you have with the saber, it makes the game monotonous and funny looking. The solution to that would have been to make it more blockable AND increase saber damage on normal swings by a great deal. That way, you have fifty swings (okay there's probably less, but you get the point) that kill instead of one. The solution people wanted was the downright removal of backstab, or to make it take less damage. And I still always ask "when the hell are you going to use a backstab if it doesn't kill someone? Why turn all the way around to get in some stupid power ranger pose to hit someone if it doesn't finish the job?" But oh well.

I knew 1.04 would just remove all dangerous aspects of the game and turn it into a long "no killing me in stupid ways" kind of game. AT least in 1.03 I had to fear getting killed by backstab pull. It was a boring way to die, and the pull thing was streamlining game stradegy, but at least I felt danger. Now, everyone is free to charge at each other and fear nothing. Gunners will forever be told to go away because they can kill people so much quicker. The game becomes less dynamic.

Raven made a great game in my opinion, but because of mass opinions and complaints, they've decided to change the game for the customer benefit. Unfortunately, public opinion has been more steam and anger rather than straight thought. The solution to the saber problem is simple. Look at JK1. The first game. In this game, the heavy swing took an opponent from 100 health 100 shields (like 100/25 in jK2) to 2 health. If a person was gripped real quick, then hit, they died. Of course, JK1's saber combat was limited and stiff, but now we have this much more dynamic system. We can keep the lethality of the saber, make it kill someone fast, like one hit, or even two sometimes, put in your parry and blocks, and the problem is solved. Backstabbers won't be a problem, because while they turn around, you move out of the way, click the button, and their dead. You want a long saber battle... get good at not getting hit at all. And hitting the perosn precisely. Block correctly, as in keep your distacne. Don't rub up against the person. Then you have long intense duels. Tired of gunners? WEll, if you're saber actually could kill someone when you needed it to, as in one good hit, then you'd have a lot of fun fighting gunners. Hate kick? It can't be blocked you say? Who cares? if you have high damage, then it's just fine to take the 20 unblockable damage, my saber is going to cut through your foot and kill you anyway. Now the kick is only good when used with proper timing.

The point of is, when we complain, we keep asking for stuff to be removed. This is totally off. This game isn't counter strike. We're not dealing with an awp, or gun aim that is too good, or bunny hopping. We're just dealing with certain attack methods being weaker or less effective than others. The solution was not to remove the stronger elements. The solution was to just make the weaker elements stronger.

Exactly!! Yeah they should have made the backstab/slah almost useless! That move ownz!! I still dun get ppl why they were bitching about pull+backstab.. Actually i quite enjoyed for a quite a time.. until.. i got bored of it, and started playing in nf duels. but o well

here's my take on the patch. frankly, i like it. yes i wouldn't consider my self a fan of the pull/backstab combo, and i frankly believe it's a skill-less attack since all one needs to do it tap a button and turn around and tap another button. now one reason for this likely is that i do not use absorb. i use dark powers in my setup. and this patch finally returns balance to both sides of the force (i think alot of people have been overlooking this with the focus on the gun vs. saber thing).

i've heard alot of arguements like "This is called JEDI Knight 2!!! Guns shouldn't be here!" Here's my take: The game is subtitled Jedi OUTCAST, which features a storyline on a fallen Jedi turned mercenary and loses touch with the Jedi ways. Then there are those who think guns don't belong in a Star Wars Universe type game. I'll remind you that guns are the prominent weapons in the Star Wars Universe. Then there are those who think limiting the saber to be more passive makes it just another quake 3 game. I dont believe so. Sabers aren't what makes the Jedi (heck even Han Solo used a saber at one point), it's powers that set this game apart from others (and as i mentioned before i think this patch did a good job revitalizing the dark side). Lastly, do you honestly think its realistic to think a Jedi would fare well in a battlezone? Look at Episode 2, the fighting Jedi Knights got massacred (it even only took one "gunner" to take out one Jedi when Jango kills a Jedi trying to attack Dooku). And i'll leave you with a quote from a jedi himself "We're keepers of the peace not soldiers."

In my opinion, this patch I think is an improvement. I still see gunners getting killed by sabers with this patch (and still by backstab as well). I simply think sabers are best suited for either a good and intense duel, or maybe if you're still adamant about it, a saber only server. All in all though, I'm glad this patch came out.

Originally posted by FatalStrike

Simple re-load you game and play 1.02. Kicking too much there gets you killed in a hurry. Don't believe me? Challenge any PDJ player in 1.02. They love Kickers!

As far as 1.03 and 1.04 - Ewok is right - Kick or be Kicked!

By the way 1.04 doesn't seem like a real patch. It plays just like 1.03 with very minor changes. I was hoping to get a more 1.02ish feel back but its not too bad. DFA is still nerfed too much and heavy style still looks like your lightsaber is too heavy for you to be using. Kinda like a 5 year old with a baseball bat.

I will use throw pull and kick until my fingers bleed thanks for taking Backstab out, you made my life much easier.

I have read some of your posts on the 1.02-04 subject and just want to say that I totaly agree with you on every topic.

Its people like you that Raven and lucas should listen to, not people who want to:

1.02: nerf DFA/DRAIN/GRIP - cant defend myself against it

1.03: nerf BackStab - cant defend myself against it

1.04: nerf Kick- cant defend myself against it

1.05: nerf the lightsaber - cant defend myself against it???

What the hell people... stop wishing things away!!

You will turn this into a diplomatical game in which people just b1tch about how they suck... ohh wait.. we are there already....

If we just altered DFA and the freezing bug in 1.03, then there would be no problem with: BS/KICK/ETC!!!!

Damn you all! ... Damn you all to the hell you have created with 1.03 and there after!

My screenshots bind was working fine before 1.04. Yesterday I took a hell of a load of great screenshots, 10 men high towers, sabers circles, I even landed on the very top of ffa_bespin but none of my screenshots came out even though it said "Wrote screenshot!" I checked my base/shreenshots folder after and it was empty. :(

The current bind I have is: /bind p "take screenshot" - which worked fine with 1.03. Does anyone know if there is a new bind for 1.04???

Lol, Ebuch. I lsot 20 health using tyhat setting whle rolling under saber (usually takes off 1 pt)

Yeh, 1.04 is pretty good because there's no one actually going for cheap moves yet, i played 3 hours of it yesterday all great fun with no irritation of backstab spammers or DFAers.

Personally for me i can't kick(can't see em comnig either) cos of me wee 56k but i aint complaining now that i don't get timed out when soemone kicks :)

Originally posted by V-tecc

I have read some of your posts on the 1.02-04 subject and just want to say that I totaly agree with you on every topic.

Its people like you that Raven and lucas should listen to, not people who want to:

1.02: nerf DFA/DRAIN/GRIP - cant defend myself against it

1.03: nerf BackStab - cant defend myself against it

1.04: nerf Kick- cant defend myself against it

1.05: nerf the lightsaber - cant defend myself against it???

What the hell people... stop wishing things away!!

You will turn this into a diplomatical game in which people just b1tch about how they suck... ohh wait.. we are there already....

If we just altered DFA and the freezing bug in 1.03, then there would be no problem with: BS/KICK/ETC!!!!

Damn you all! ... Damn you all to the hell you have created with 1.03 and there after!

HAHAHAHA! "nerf the lightsaver - cant defend myself against it" ROFL.

I have to admit, I was just like everyone else out there.. pulldown/backslash... and enjoyed it for a short while, but then it just became a finisher after I had whittled away an opponent. Even though I used it, I thought it was completely stupid and skilless. I was a big proponent of removing it.

ANYWAY, 1.02 is still the best release of the bunch. 1.04 takes the game back to it's original form (for the most part). Aside from the skilless kicking, I think that 1.04 is definitely a step in the right direction.

You guys need to join a server that has "g_saberdamagescale 4" turned on. That setting completely rocks and takes out the gay kick-spamming completely (a single heavy swing takes them out).

Even 3 works well.

Archived