Home

WIP: Joruus C'baoth

Darth Vigrid

I have to agree about the emotion. I've read the Heir Trilogy numerous times (more than 10), and there is DEFINITELY a loss of control many times. At other times, he IS very cold and emotionless. I think the best thing would be to make most of his taunts with fairly normal, but slightly menacing emotion, then make a couple cold and calm, and a couple outright insane and full of rage. The key to making the taunts good is to make sure you convey the impression that this IS an insane clone of a Jedi Master.

I would cut the distortion in it. A slight touch of reverb to make the voice sound powerful, but not too much. As it is now, he doesn't sound human. He should definitely sound human, just a powerful and insane human :)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BradFu

I think the best thing would be to make most of his taunts with fairly normal, but slightly menacing emotion, then make a couple cold and calm, and a couple outright insane and full of rage. The key to making the taunts good is to make sure you convey the impression that this IS an insane clone of a Jedi Master.

thanks for the feedback, brad. would you mind pointing out which taunts you feel should sound menacing, which should be cold and calm, and which should convey his insanity and rage? :confused:

after recording and re-recording my voice many many many many many times, i felt like i nailed the taunts down pretty well. it's good to get other people's opinions and see things from a different angle. i'd like for all of joruus' sounds to do darth vigrid's model justice ... any and all input is welcome.

on a lighter not, i thought i DID put some emotion into his voice ... guess i'm just an emotionless kinda guy. :lol:

I've haven't read completely through the books in about 4 years, so I don't quite remember exactly how emotional Joruus gets. However, you've made some good points BradFu. adillon, if you want to make the changes that BradFu has suggested, then by all means go right ahead. Each time you have redone the sounds, they have only improved, so It really can't hurt.

Well, yesterday I was browsing the forums and checked out Major Clod's Han Solo thread, and he had some great pictures of Han in-game with facial expressions, and then he explained exactly how he weighted the face, and it really wasn't as difficult as I had previously thought. So, I've rigged the face and the beard with the facial bones. I just got a few questions.

1. Are there any facial expressions used in MultiPlayer?

2. How do you replace a single player character with a custom model?

Originally posted by Darth Vigrid

1. Are there any facial expressions used in MultiPlayer?

2. How do you replace a single player character with a custom model?

1. no.

2. if you were going to replace desann with joruus, you'd name the folder with all the joruus stuff "desann".

actually, to replace a single player character you should also change the .skin file, go in it with notepad and change all the dirs to the new folder, example: if you are going to change kyle you should rename all the folders in the skin file to kyle except the ones for the caps, those are usually in the folder stormtrooper, if you don't do it like this the skin file is going to try to find the image for the skins in the original folder and if you don't have that model in your base folder your character is going to be "invisible" in game because there are no such images in the base folder. :D

hey Darth Vigrid I think it is great that now all you modeleres are getting facial expresions into your models, that was the only thing i didn't like from the custom models, they looked so stupid in the sp cutscenes just moving their heads while they were talking, it kind of remind me of jk1, well that is a great update, keep up the good work!!!

Originally posted by frendon

actually, to replace a single player character you should also change the .skin file, go in it with notepad and change all the dirs to the new folder, example: if you are going to change kyle you should rename all the folders in the skin file to kyle except the ones for the caps, those are usually in the folder stormtrooper, if you don't do it like this the skin file is going to try to find the image for the skins in the original folder and if you don't have that model in your base folder your character is going to be "invisible" in game because there are no such images in the base folder. :D

if you already have the model for mp, then the directory does exist.

I did a quick replace of desann in single player. Here are some screenshots with him as a npc. The bottom of the robe isn't my final version, That's why it doesn't match the top. Also, you'll notice Joruus still has Desann's size:

Triple Vision

The fallen Kyle

That's gotta hurt

The End is Near

Acrobatic

Scope

That's it, He's Dead

Ok, After having alot of trouble with the robe I've decided to get rid of the split in the middle. It really looks bad in-game and removing it really doesn't take anything away from the model. This will aslo make weighting the robe much easier to do. I've also completely modified the bottom to show Joruus's sandals (might as well make them visible), and I like the way it has turned out. What do you think?

Click

The mapping on the robe has to be redone. The pic uses the old one.

yeah, DV ... looking as sinister as ever!

good move with removal of the robe split. you're not losing a thing by doing that. i also like how you can see his feet now!

i can't remember who posted it (think it was moooa), but what, if anything, are you gonna do regarding making his hair a little messier? along the same lines, i think it would be cool to make the bottom of his robe have ripped/torn edges ... look at the tusken raider model to see what i mean.

keep up the great work, DV! :D

Yeah, I've pm'ed Major Clod, so hopefully he can give me some information on how to get the hair shaders working. And, making the bottom of the robe with torn edges shouldn't be too hard, I'll see what I can do. By the time this model is completed, I want to be an expert of shaders. Glad you like the new look!

frendon, I know this model is taking a long time to complete, but I really don't want to have to versions of it floating around. I want everything to be pretty much perfect for the release. Also, Major Clod has given me some help with the shaders for the hair, and they should not be too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

The model itself is pretty near completion. I've gotten the new robe weighted and it's working 10 times better than the old one. The only real work I now have to do is some touchups in the skin (the chest, the legs, and the face). I really don't think I'm going to have time right now to implement shaders for the robe and the hair. Shaders on the hair would require an increase in polycount, and I'm already pushing 3000, so without some major work, I don't see it happening. I really want to get this model released soon, but I'm pretty busy with school and all, so please just bear with me. Thanks.

new pic

Archived