Home

(Maybe That's A Lie)

Doubleplus GC

I have just returned from a sickenly fantastic k's Choice concert at Slim's in San Francisco. k's must assuredly the world's greatest live band. Songs that appeared somewhat forgettable in album-version format are stunning on stage. chris, you say that the new album isn't all that great, and probably you are right, but from the songs they played off it here, **** man, I must own it!

Kicking it off with Coccoon Crash was a nice treat for the fans, fans that were surprisingly numerous for a band that hasn't been to California in three years and has zilch playing on US airwaves. The extended ending to If You're Not Scared was quite breathtaking, expecially with Sarah playing that tasty 12-string. Though the audience sang along almost the entire set (save the new ones as most of the audience had yet to memorize it), it was completely silent during My Heart, which Sarah sang (dicretely shedding a single tear) to the sound of Gert's acoustic fingerpicked guitar. They ended the set energetically with A Sound That Only You Can Hear, claiming they'd play Another Year "next time" and wouldn't play Shadow Man because Gert had forgotten the lyrics, but then played them both for the encore and finished off with Not An Addict, which we had all be waiting for.

Sarah is really thin and very beautiful; Gert's head is really big and his voice is so very soft. They have the same nose. Sarah's eyebrow ring has been removed and it would appear that she has a little red mark from a labret piercing that may have recently be taken out. Hell if I know what that tattoo on her arm represents, but it's very nice. The former drummer lives in Sacramento and drove down to sub in for Sound That Only You Can Hear, and he was very good. The audeince was screaming for about 5 minutes straight fo that encore.

This is by far the most amazing concert I've ever attended (thought I've only been to 2 en toto and the first one was Eric Clapton when I was about 14, whom I now dislike). I could go out and see Radiohead live tomorrow and though I'm sure it would be shockingly good, they'd need to be in a small and personal room with maybe 200 devoted fans to achieve the kind of connection made tonight.

Sarah threw her Powerade bottle straight at me at the end of the show, but it bounced off my fingers and landed in in front of some group of chicks. All I got for souveniers in the end was a bruised rong finger and a T-shirt (Gert's paintings are so cool).

The point: thank you for making me love this band, chris, and we no longer have reason to be agnostic. God was in my bed last night.

Interesting... it turns out that Sarah has recently divorced her husband because she's a lesbian. She is now with one of the Indigo Girls. Bizarre that she only just now found out that she's gay, seeing as how she was married for some time and is 30 years old. So many ill-spent years.

I see nobody cares about this band but me and chris. Where the hell is he?

I do care, man, I do. And I feel very, very ashamed that I didn't know about a new album.

Also, I wasn't able to reply earlier since I didn't know about LF forum. Since not even Shutt told me when we had a same time experience I will torture all of you with a heck load of smilies:

:fett::max::roleyess::angel::swear::lightning:max::wazup:

I don't feel guilty.

I was going to a CD shop today and found out that K's new CD "Live" has this ****ing Sony copy protection. You can't play it on a PC. Since I use my PC for listening to the MP3s I encoded from my CDs I won't buy it. Damn Sony to hell. They successfully prevented me from buying Star Wars 2 soundtrack as well (don't get me wrong I do have ears and therefore know that SW2's music sucked big time - from the I-want-something-new point of view).

As of yet I have refrained from downloading whole albums, but make it happen one more time that I want to buy an album and it says I can't listen to it - I will do it.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Doubleplus GC

...Though the audience sang along almost the entire set (save the new ones as most of the audience had yet to memorize it), it was completely silent during My Heart, which Sarah sang (dicretely shedding a single tear) to the sound of Gert's acoustic fingerpicked guitar...

I think I made myself clear.

That was the only Great Subconscious Club song I remember hearing. There is much more emphasis on that album on the Live CD than there actually was live. Probably because it made no waves in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived