Home

The Dig: Movie Script In Process

JoesDIG

Greetings,

I'm a student at university, taking a four year media arts (film directing/producing) and a one year arts/science course.

Ever since I played The Dig when it first came out, I've been ingulfed by the story and the characters. This concept and story is very rich, not just about aliens, but about the human spirit and the lengths we will go to achieve what we want.

Currently, for my first project, I've begun writing a full featured film script for The Dig. Now, this is indeed a daring attempt (especially for my first project!), but I think it can be done.

When Steven Spielberg set out to bring this story to the theaters it couldn't be done "at the time". However, now we are in 2002. And I believe, a project like The Dig could very well be produced.

For my concepts and ideas, I've referred to the novel, the guide written for the game with bios, more detailed info, and naturally the game itself. Now, some of you are probably thinking exactly what kind of film I have in mind. Well, I can't really say that yet and probably not for a long time, but my version of the story will not be an exact copy and paste of the game. Even though the game itself is wonderful, I think the fans deserve much more than something like that. Bits of the story will remain, for example: the opening scene with Attila apporaching Earth. And the crew going up to plant the nuclear weapons.

One of the most important elements I've always thought about The Dig was, is the music. The music is so invoking and pure. Indeed, throughout the process of writing the script, I've been listening to the soundtrack of The Dig all the time - for inspiration. Hopefully, if the project goes forward and gets the okay from LucasArts and Mr. Speilberg himself, Michael Land will be the first apporached for doing the music.

Now the issue with LucasArts. Well, they are creative people and hopefully they will respect my passion for creating this wonderful story. As soon as I am complete my schooling and a version of the script and making a early draft, they will be contacted right away.

Anyways, I thought the many fans who love The Dig, as much as I do, would liked to have known about this.

Good day.

-Joe

Well, it looks like we're both doing the same thing! Although, I guess I have less resources available, being a high school student at the School of Science and Technology. I am about 2/3 done with the screenplay myself :) , so yeah, it can indeed be done. I am basing my "fan film" off of the novel, and am hoping to use Michael Land's music from the game. I know mine will probably be less professional, but I expect it to be much better than a simple home video. Me and my friends appreciate the Dig as much as you probably do, so I don't think we would want our film to be less than what it deserves to be. Good luck, and I hope that maybe we can find a way to help each other. The last thing we need is this to become a competition. If you have any guidance with using blue or green screens, I would appreciate it. I think this is just perfect. Suddenly, the desire to finally make The Dig into a film exists, and there are lots of people who want to make it into a reality. I hope that at least one of us, succeeds in visualizing the great story of the Dig like never before. Have lots of fun!

-Soren

Well, who'd'a thunk it? Two movie projects in one week! :D

From what I've read in the past, though, LucasArts are very interested in their property, and especially in keeping it theirs. I'm not sure how much support they'd give to a movie out of house. I wonder, have they ever given their support to a Star Wars fan film? I know, at least, that many have been made. I suppose if they don't plan any sequels to The Dig of their own, they'd be much more open to such ventures.

Joe, do you intend to just write a screenplay for LucasArts, or do you want to direct and produce it as well? If you didn't get LucasArts' support, would you go ahead anyway?

Either way, a great story like this deserves to be told as many times as possible. Good luck you guys, and please keep us informed of any developments!

After I played through the game for the first time, I was so excited about the idea of a Dig movie that I got online and searched for many hours trying to find a way to get in contact with Steve Speilburg just to beg him to make it into a movie. Pretty pathetic, huh? ^_^; And now I read this, and think "My God, I must be dreaming." If you guys actually do this, I can't tell you how incredibly psycho I'm gonna react, and whether or not that's a good thing. O__o; But at least someone's finally gotten off his butt and done something! *passes out oreos* Yup, just wanted to show appreciation for true fandom. *nods*

Yes, I do believe that at least one of these projects will turn out well. I am part of Soren's group, and I think that we can at least pull through with something that will make us happy. Maybe you people too, if you ever see it.

Ganya

"Now the issue with LucasArts. Well, they are creative people and hopefully they will respect my passion for creating this wonderful story. As soon as I am complete my schooling and a version of the script and making a early draft, they will be contacted right away."

God, man, I wish it were that easy...

You see, pardon my French, but unless you've developed a name for yourself, LucasArts/LucasFilm ain't gonna give a rat's ass about your little script - to them, it's canon. Just some thing a niche fan came up with. In order for some Hollywood executive to even consider this, you're going to need relations.

In things like media studies courses, they teach you HOW to create a film, but they sure don't teach you how to get the money and relations in school. To acquire those attributes, you need to actually prove yourself on the field. You can't do that in film school.

Even if you were just submitting a screenplay, like I said above, LucasFilm (Who, I would imagine, has the rights to the project) won't give a crap. Ever wonder why all of their films were directed by either Lucas, Spielberg or Howard? It's because they all know Lucas. He doesn't want a n00b with no skills making a possibly boring project.

Which brings me to my next point - video game to movie conversions are so bad, simply put becuase the viewer can't relate to seeing endless amounts of zombies being blown up, or characters doing cliched task after cliched task. The Dig is a perfect syndrome to this, since the game IS filled with puzzles. Take away the puzzles and the 15 hour character development, and what are you left with?

3 shallow characters, at least to film standards.

Think about it - most of the development in video games comes from the repeated viewing you get to the characters - that was the only saving grace they had. The life crystals idea was intriguing, but why would i want to go to a movie to see them rant on and on about it's wonders? Also, there's no real ACTION in the film to separate it, no outstanding climax. It's a very strange plot, and I'm still trying to figure out how it worked so well with the audience.

Anyways, i'm trying not to be derrogatory, but screenplays usually take a good year to finish, and frankly, you could spend that next year coming up with your own original idea, not some boring (stripped plot wise) video game from 1995.

P.S. Hollywood hates asteroids now, too.

Hey TheFilmGuru, there's a lot more in the book that would suit a film. Both of these projects would probably take a lot of stuff from there, rather than only the game. The game provides a good guide to the atmosphere, but the real depth is in the novel. And how many successful novel->movie conversions have there been?

But aside from that, I agree with what you say; an official LucasFilm film is a far stretch for an unknown writer. But that shouldn't stop them. If they make it for themselves, Lucas doesn't even have to know... ;) and maybe they could share it with a few others from here who have an interest. Like the fan art on dig.mixnmojo.com.

Originally posted by eloqui

Joe, do you intend to just write a screenplay for LucasArts, or do you want to direct and produce it as well? If you didn't get LucasArts' support, would you go ahead anyway?

I'm not planning to do a "fan-made film". I wouldn't even call myself a huge fan. I'm just someone who sees something special about this story.

My intentions are to make a feature film, for The Dig. I will write the screenplay, naturally under the watchful eyes of LucasArts/LucasFilm and plan to direct.

I find it hard to believe I would be able to go ahead, without LucasArts/LucasFilm approval.

-Joe

God, man, I wish it were that easy...

I don't even remember stating it was easy...

You see, pardon my French, but unless you've developed a name for yourself, LucasArts/LucasFilm ain't gonna give a rat's ass about your little script - to them, it's canon. Just some thing a niche fan came up with. In order for some Hollywood executive to even consider this, you're going to need relations.

Now, you or no one else can says this, you see. You have no idea what they are thinking. And I never said I was going to go in half-cocked, without building up a nice portfolio of projects. I've already done many short films, during my time at university and other minor entertainment projects. I'm not just some fan, who wants to bring The Dig into the theater.

In things like media studies courses, they teach you HOW to create a film, but they sure don't teach you how to get the money and relations in school. To acquire those attributes, you need to actually prove yourself on the field. You can't do that in film school.

I haven't the slighest idea why you are questioning my abilities - have we met before?

Really though, do you think Speilberg himself somehow knew these things? Heck no. He was a boy-scout, like every director.

Triva: Spielberg almost never completed Jaws because of money and time problems. And they thought he would never make any money.

Even if you were just submitting a screenplay, like I said above, LucasFilm (Who, I would imagine, has the rights to the project) won't give a crap.

Um, and you know this... how?

Ever wonder why all of their films were directed by either Lucas, Spielberg or Howard? It's because they all know Lucas. He doesn't want a n00b with no skills making a possibly boring project.

Last I saw, this was Spielbergs baby. Not Lucas's or Howard's. Spielberg still owns rights to the actual concept. LucasArt's just owns the game, The Dig itself.

Again, why do you insult me saying I have no skill. Have you seen any of my works? No. And what is this word, that I don't really understand. n00b?

Which brings me to my next point - video game to movie conversions are so bad, simply put becuase the viewer can't relate to seeing endless amounts of zombies being blown up, or characters doing cliched task after cliched task. The Dig is a perfect syndrome to this, since the game IS filled with puzzles. Take away the puzzles and the 15 hour character development, and what are you left with?

While video games to film conversion haven't had the best track record, how can one say that future projects would be so unlucky? You can't really. Like I said, obviously you would take out the "video game parts" of the game, and included better, immersive material.

3 shallow characters, at least to film standards.

One persons, rather shallow opinion, I'd say.

Anyways, i'm trying not to be derrogatory, but screenplays usually take a good year to finish, and frankly, you could spend that next year coming up with your own original idea, not some boring (stripped plot wise) video game from 1995.

I must have been reading someone else's post then, cause I saw a lot of derrogatory.

I've been working on the screenplay for a while now. And I don't plan to cut and paste or to work on it for a limited time. And I don't find the story boring at all.

P.S. Hollywood hates asteroids now, too.

The Dig isn't about asteroid(s), if you didn't notice.

-Joe

Originally posted by eloqui

Hey TheFilmGuru, there's a lot more in the book that would suit a film. Both of these projects would probably take a lot of stuff from there, rather than only the game. The game provides a good guide to the atmosphere, but the real depth is in the novel. And how many successful novel->movie conversions have there been?

Agreed. A lot of great stuff is written in the book.

But aside from that, I agree with what you say; an official LucasFilm film is a far stretch for an unknown writer.

Well, Lucas/Spielberg had approaced M. Night, who wrote The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. He had only done, I believe four films. Three of them professtional. Even then, those three were international and not well known at all. Yet, they asked him to write a screenplay for the next Jones film. He ended up saying no.

-Joe

Archived