Home

WIP - Bothan Jedi Master

BradFu

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really dig the prologue, BradFu!!

i feel that original characters are probably the best thing that could happen to JKII, and having a story that helps them fit into the star wars universe makes these characters just that much better. good job.

Trev: since his hair, beard, and clothes are fairly specialized to his character, I likely won't have too many things changeable on him. I'll see if I can setup the beard to be removeable, as well as the hood and 'belt'. The hair tails and their ties should be removeable too, so there should be a decent amount of customization possible.

I plan on doing at least one additional story outside my main Calaron story, which will highlight Master Fa'row, though I haven't decided whether he'll be a Master yet, and whether he'll have an apprentice. I'm starting to really like the character, and the events in the Prologue just beg to expand on him :)

Skin Ideas

Borsk: Cream coloured fur, posh robes.

Bothan Spy: Darker robe, brown fur.

Sith Bothan: Sithy look....

I reckon that the Aalya Secura model was more of a success because of the large skin pack that was released with it. It would be nice to see the Bothan do the same.

Thing is, Bothans have more variety to their looks than Twi'leks do, from a modelling perspective. Part of the problem is hair. Tattoos and other similar features can be skinned on, but hair of this sort has to be modelled on, and not all Bothans have the same hairstyle.

Exactly. So theres room for some amount of customization with my model, but one way or the other, they'll all have the same hairstyle (on the top of the head, anyway), and the same robes. I mentioned earlier that I'm perfectly willing to let others use my base head (without hair or beard) for other models if they're interested :)

You should only release 1 or 2 skins for it at the most. Let others do the rest and put them in as individual projects.

This is because I hate it when you get 3/4 pointless skins that you'll likely never use, so they just take up space in your character selections (like what happened with the Mandalorian and that Twi'lek chick models).

True. Although many of the female Twi'lek skins came in a separate pack. I suppose they should get split up into separate files, like Yin is [granted, she was designed later on]. So I think I will agree, and recommend that the model itself only come with Master Fa'row and nothing else.

Btw, BradFu, I'm going to PM you with my email address, so that if you're willing, you can send me the skinmap. I don't have anything specific in mind yet, but it's always good to be able to jump on a project when inspiration hits.

you COULD always just open up the pk3, remove what you don't want and then repack it.....least thats what i would do....

and sorry to get a bit o/t....but

i REALLY think someone should modify the bot selection, and skin/player selection.....something that'll display the bot/skin's icon, maybe around 12 at a time or so........especially with bots.....it really sux having to scroll through everything......and skins....it'll get to the point soon where we'll also get tired of scrolling through them too....

Well, if they edit the pk3, then it becomes incompatible with the rest of the pk3s for the model. What I plan on doing is 3 skins. Standard, plus CTFs. The CTF skins will be full-fledged skins, rather than just recolored. Blue will be the young version of Fa'row, Red will be a Sith version.

UPDATE:

Made an attempt at unwrapping the outer robes, turned out decently well, but it could definitely be better, I'm just not all that good at unwrapping. Here's the results:

http://windu.cjb.net/bothanskin2.jpg

http://windu.cjb.net/bothanskin3.jpg

Once again, if anyone who is skilled in the ways of Unwrapping has any interest in helping out with this model, e-mail me at bradfu@msn.com, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh, gotcha :) I'm way ahead of you on that, decided to actually do that with the model, as well as with the skin. It's not easy to see, but in some of the past shots (the head shots specifically) you can just barely see the cleft between his nose and mouth :)

Current Status: Stuck

Since theres been a lot of interest in this model, I wanted to let everyone know where it stands. Right now, he's waiting to be unwrapped. The problem with this is that I can't handle the unwrapping myself and make it any good, and don't have anyone to do it yet. Anyone who can do a good job of it and is interested, please e-mail me at bradfu@msn.com or send me a Private Message. I will be doing the skinning, but I can't continue with that till I get it all mapped out :)

Archived