Home

GF2 Storyline?

Psychosparrow

Oh man, that's the worst. Although I don't see any reason why they couldn't get the same actors back to do the voices, if they did bring back the origional characters. I mean, it's not as if those particular actors are in great demand. I wonder if they paid them the first time? As I understand it, famous actors who do voices for Disney movies don't usually get paid. If the people who did the voices for GF weren't getting paid, they may not be inclined to come back for a second go.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that it would be hard to come up with a good storyline involving Manny that takes place after the first one ends. Perhaps someone in the Land of the Dead needs help and casts a spell that pulls the legendary Manny out of paradise. But perhaps a prequel... although based on the story it's hard to imagine that there was anything really interesting going on in Manny's life before the first story begins. Perhaps a story involving Manny's real life, with skin and all?

Honestly though, I'd just be happy with more original graphic adventures. I hope LucasArts won't be too focused on sequels. Monkey Island is on it's last leg. If they do decide to do a sequel for MI, I think it would be cool if Guybrush gets himself into danger, then figures that there's no way he can die in a LucasArts game, so does something stupid and gets himself killed, and he spends the rest of the game as the Ghost Pirate Threepwood. Just a thought.

Prequel... I never thought of that. Why didn't I think of that? You're a right about the MI series, too. I didn't enjoy the MI series overmuch, and although I have never played EMI before, I hear it's pretty weak. If they used your idea (good one, BTW) in the next installment, I might actually consider playing it.

EDIT: ignore this edit Gendo...i clicked 'Edit' instead of 'Quote'..sorry :D

I think a prequel would be cool where you'd get a chance to play as Salvador when he was working for the man. That way you could set about discovering the level of corruption plus I'd love to get a chance to see Manny when he was a hotshot.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by GendoTheGreat

Prequel... I never thought of that. Why didn't I think of that? You're a right about the MI series, too. I didn't enjoy the MI series overmuch, and although I have never played EMI before, I hear it's pretty weak. If they used your idea (good one, BTW) in the next installment, I might actually consider playing it.

I've always said that a prequel would be a good move. I agree that a sequel would be hard to make so maybe a prequel could be the answer. I think it would work quite well, although im not sure on a storyline...mmm...

Originally posted by nioe

I think a prequel would be cool where you'd get a chance to play as Salvador when he was working for the man. That way you could set about discovering the level of corruption plus I'd love to get a chance to see Manny when he was a hotshot.:rolleyes:

This is another good idea, exploring other characters. I don't know why I never thought of that one either. GF has other characters just as cool as Manny.

There's a stack of possibilities for stories in the land of the dead, and as much as I’d like to see Manny back, I don’t like the idea of him returning from the ninth underworld, their final resting place, paradise. If a sequel happened, I think I’d prefer to see it about another character, either someone we’ve already seen or a new person all together. The continuation of the Lost Souls Alliance maybe? Then they could have some flashbacks that featured Manny so that he’s involved a little bit.

The prequel idea is good too, I’d like to see Manny at his height, and the circumstances that got Salvador to start the LSA.

But what ever they did, they’d have to get Manny in there a little bit somehow.

“Clambake!”

Hmm, not really, not if they were flashbacks of newly written material. That's what I meant, not flashbacks of the first game, that would be lame, but new stuff to fit in with a new story.

But yeah, for a story to continue from the first one with Manny in it, they'd have to to rip him out of paradise, and I don't like that idea. I prefer that they have finally completed their journey, and there's no more for them to do. But I really only think that way cause I can't think of a decent way it could be written, so if someone comes up with one, w00t.

Course if LucasArts makes a Grim Fandango 2 I'll be buying it no matter what, so whatta they care?

• 4 weeks later...

I think that a sequel would be a bad idea because it would devalue the original, and it's very hard to come up with a storyline and a cast of characters that would match GF's standard.

The thing is people have said that they want Manny and/or Meche back in the 8th Underworld, but they clearly went to the land of eternal rest and can't come back. The only characters that were left in the 8th Underworld were the demons like Glottis and people like Eva who just didn't leave.

A whole new set of characters would have to be made to replace the ones that died or left the 8th underworld. And what new storyline could exactly come out of a sequel taking place in the 8th Underworld anyway? The only idea I could come up with was that Rubacava was corrupted and all, and would be stirring off trouble in the underworld (Max never died remember?)

I understand how you lot all want a sequel so badly, I did for a time but the more you think about it the less realistic the idea becomes...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Well, actually, I don't know. But wouldn't a prequel be rather short? I mean, not much would happen with Sal and the game would be dull. A game of Manny would be just too short. Things in Rubacava? Hmmm... not so sure, but I kinda think it's a good idea. There could be plenty of action sequences.

But what about the REST of the Land of the Dead? Surely the Land of the Dead can't be as small as it is in the game! After all, there must be loads of places in the Land of the Dead if it takes a whole year to get from Rubacava to Pueorto Zapato.

But I really think that there could be a way to get Manny out of the Ninth Underworld! Maybe some evil conspiracy uses an evil spell to get him out, which I think was suggested somewhere on this thread.

So I don't know. How about a poll?

Originally posted by Isis Kaldara

Who cares? As long as they make the sequel with the original voices and a totally awesome storyline, while at the same time creating a new exciting plotline...

I'll be sound as a pound, baby...

*Giggles and can't wait for the 3rd Austin Powers to come out.*

UGH. Austin Powers 3. The only good part was the start with all the celebs. Just a load of rehashed jokes.

I dont think Grim should have a sequel, it's fine the way it is. A sequel would ruin the originals reputation as a fine, classy adventure game.

If they DID HAVE to have a sequel, it would be preferable if Manny was not involved. Glottis could make a cameo, of course.

Originally posted by Isis Kaldara

I know...Wasn't that a drag? The first one was awesome, but the second one kinda resembled "Terrance and Phillip" as in it was nothing but trash-talk and toilet humor...

Terrence and Phillip humour is great :)

And it's there for a reason. South Park isn't just constant swearing, it's a warped outlook on society (In Particular, 10 yr old children). And 10 year old children WORSHIP poop jokes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived