Home

Musical Instruments

Moon Roach

• 2 weeks later...

Hey we could almost make a band. I'll play the spoons!

I want to learn the lute but I can't afford one, or a lute instructor. So instead I'm trying out the acoustic guitar. I have no illusions of becoming the next Hendrix, but I'd like to bust out a few Simon & Garfunkel or America tunes on desert road trips.

Oh yeah...merc> what do you think of the cello? Does it bother you that it's not portable?

Swordy> When I played the cornet in jr. high school I made fun of the french horn dude, but now I kind of like french horns...the name reminds me of a metaphor for boobies.

mxbx and metallus> Did you ever try to learn the acoustic or electric guitar? If so how do you compare it to bass?

Shutt> Any tips?

Originally posted by Moon Roach

mxbx and metallus> Did you ever try to learn the acoustic or electric guitar? If so how do you compare it to bass?

I've heard it said that anyone who can play the guitar can play the bass. But that's a damn lie!

Anyway, I took guitar lessons for awhile in middle school until I didn't have time or money for them, but I guess I never really got into it. I find the bass much more...me. I can't really explain it. I'm no good being the frontman on whatever projects I'm involved with, so I guess it has something to do with my personality.

Aren't all of Primus' songs just really long bass solos? Oh, and Moon Roach: I think guitar is a little bit more difficult because you have to memorize chords. And who wants to memorize chords? I don't! Oh, sure, there's bass chords, but who uses those? Not me! Nor anyone I hold in high esteem!

On most music I don't even notice the bass, or I can't remember it at least. I'd probably notice if it wasn't there but It doesn't seem as important as everything else. Plus bass players are easily replacable. ;)

You're an idiot.

To make music you need a combination of instruments. Your solo isn't the most important part, or who is playing the loudest, unless you're a selfish swab trying to fulfill an image by pretending to have an interest in music.

You are the idiot.

Music can be made with only one instrument. There is nothing wrong with a good skillfully played solo. Most of the popular bands today have no interest in music whatsoever. Playing boring repetitive songs with a handful of power chords, either an idiot screeching some intelligible words down the mike or a prepubescent oik squealing some psuedopunk bollocks. All gimmick laden ####e .

People like you are responsible for the declining quality of music. I bet you buy 'nu metal' 'nu punk' or whatever 'nu' rectal scrapings are being pushed onto the idiotic public as music these days.

:swear:

I may have issues but none have them have surfaced here. 'Normal' society has issues. I'm the only sane one blah blah. Well I may be a little unhinged but at least my musical tastes have not been impaired.

Are you actually using modern pop bands to establish your argument? You say they are gimmick laden, but they believe in the same thing as you. They praise the soloists, spit on the less-audible part of the band (as you said, the bass can be "easily replaceable"), and because they do not work as a unit when creating or playing their music, it turns out sucky. There are other reasons why they suck (corporate ties etc), but mainly it's because they are working to please the audience to make a profit, rather than creating art.

I have no idea what this "nu" word is referring to but if I hope they haven't given "new" a nu spelling.

To answer questions some people didn't feel like answering:

If you can play the guitar, you can play the bass guitar. But that is not reversable. The guitar is more complicated than the bass, so playing the bass after playing the guitar is like "dude, playing this is like playing the simplest part of the guitar" while playing the guitar when you know the bass is like "where the hell did these other two strings come from? Why are these frets so small? What the hell is a 'pick?" Of course, that's for rudimentary bass playing. A good guitar playing will be a decent bass player, but to play the bass well, you still need to practice. It's a little mroe of an intricate art than the guitar. Both are fine instruments.

As for the state of music today, here is the summation so that we may let the subject drop: music today has no bass solos, the bass is buried under the guitars, the bassline is simply the bass notes of all the chords the guitar is playing (which is why you can't here the damn thing), and, of course, the music is shit. A truly great band will have the guitar (or, an amazing notion, guitars) doing one thing, and the bassline will be something else (something sweet), and the drum beat will be original, and solos will exist where appropriate and will be whatever instrument suits the song. It's people who say things like "basses don't get solos" who demonstrate that a) they think some sort of divine Rules To Music decree that all songs must have a solo, b) that the bass can't be the one to have a solo, and c) they are dumb.

Listen to some Radiohead and pay the fuck attention.

Oh, and I play the guitar and when available the bass. I can play all of Only In Dreams now except for that giant slow down and build up part at the end, which I have found completely tabbed and will get working on it whenever I get off my lazy ass.

I am not using modern bands to strengthen my argument. If you have had the misfortune of hearing any of the crap floating about these days you will release that solos are not currently 'in'. If you had been paying attention instead of listening to such bands and talking out of your arse hole you would have noticed that I don't like the aforementioned types of band.

As for bass, I was not saying that bass should be in the background or that bassists should be sidelined I was simply observing that they are, fair or not.

I was not saying that every song should have a solo but that a solo can make a good song great or uplift a lifeless dirge. Again, I wasn't saying that bassists shouldn't get solos I was saying that I haven't heard any.

Perhaps you should learn to read properly or at least more carefully and "pay more attention" before sounding off. Don't be so ****ing defensive.

As for Radiohead, perhaps I'd listen If I had a sudden urge to commit suicide.

Oh and unfortunately when referring to new metal it's nu :( I'd worry less about the nu and more the fact that they think they can call it metal.

You see me totally perplex. You don't like any modern bands? There is a very wide variety of music. I don't tell you to look for good music at MTV or in the charts. I don't tell you to attach any labels like 'nu metal' to songs - that's crap. If you end up putting music into such categories (or have them put by others) you won't be able to find decent music.

I think the question raised by your last reply is obvious:

What bands are you listening to?

Archived